Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

Manchester United will make a record-breaking offer for Lyon's French striker Karim Benzema in a deal that could top £30m. (The People)

wow, that would be a signing !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Worth of every pound if you ask me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

Manchester United will make a record-breaking offer for Lyon's French striker Karim Benzema in a deal that could top £30m. (The People)

wow, that would be a signing !

Almost invariably baseless paper talk unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

kmart6 wrote: »

Two words for you there mate.

''The Sun.''

SantryRed wrote: »

''The Sun.''

Wanted to say same....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If we got nobody this season except for Benzema, would everybody be happy? :) Bearing in mind we'll have Manucho and (I think?) the 2 Brazilians next season.

BTW, anything been confirmed about that Ramsey kid? 17 y/o Welsh guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ronaldo will make an announcement regarding his future in two or three days - i reckon that means he'll be off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tauren wrote: »
    Ronaldo will make an announcement regarding his future in two or three days - i reckon that means he'll be off.

he can't do a single thing if United don't want to sell. i'd be surprised at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

he can't do a single thing if United don't want to sell. i'd be surprised at that.

So no player has ever forced his way out of a football club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rubbish - if he states he wants to leave - United won't be able to keep him; you can't keep a player that really wants to go. Also if he disrespects United so much by stating his desire to leave, if would be tough for me to say I want him to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Glazers comment on the Ronaldo situation!

"They would sit a player in the stand - I'm telling you - just to prove a point."

Is that a clip round the ear to discourage Ronaldo from giving vague comments to the press?

Tauren where did you hear Ronaldo will say something?

Tauren wrote: »
    Rubbish - if he states he wants to leave - United won't be able to keep him; you can't keep a player that really wants to go. Also if he disrespects United so much by stating his desire to leave, if would be tough for me to say I want him to stay.

meh... I can see United holding onto him for another year just to prove a point. They way Real have conducted themselves has really pissed them off. I don't really remember united selling a player before that they didn't want to sell who had 4 years left on a contract either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

If we were to sell him, I'd rather we sell him to Barca just to p*ss off Calderon and Real. :D

If we were to sell him, I'd rather we sell him to Barca just to p*ss off Calderon and Real. :D

I agree,hate Real:D But i think noone would give so huge ammount for him except them....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I agree,hate Real:D But i think noone would give so huge ammount for him except them....

Even better though sell him to barca for 10-20m, but with a clause for a % of any sell on fee...

Cant players buy out their contracts now?

lordgoat wrote: »
    Even better though sell him to barca for 10-20m, but with a clause for a % of any sell on fee...

That would be nonsence,you think they would sell him for bigger money?Where would he go?They would probably sell him when he get enough money and football and start playing terrible,something like Ronaldinho....and than they would take some small money out of him

Cant players buy out their contracts now?

Only if they have a year left AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

DaveMcG wrote: »
    If we got nobody this season except for Benzema, would everybody be happy? :) Bearing in mind we'll have Manucho and (I think?) the 2 Brazilians next season.

BTW, anything been confirmed about that Ramsey kid? 17 y/o Welsh guy
    Last I heard, his family weren't over eager for him to join a big club (Liverpool, United) as he still has alot of youth on his side to build up experience etc, rather than a low pecking order in a big club squad.

Benzema would certainly bring joy to united fans even if he came alone. Although another quality right back to replace Neville wouldn't go astray or a centre back to replace Pique.

Only if they have a year left AFAIK.

Ah thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Karim Benzema.

Yes please.

And anyway i dont see why to worry,yes it would be bad if Ronaldo leave United but on the other hand what we can buy with 100mil? We can buy whatever we want and when you have 100mil to spend theres no unreplacable player,Ronaldo is fantastic but he is not all Manchester's United team,and with 100mil we can buy top class players and be even stronger,so whatever happen i think we cant pass badly

That would be nonsence,you think they would sell him for bigger money?Where would he go?They would probably sell him when he get enough money and football and start playing terrible,something like Ronaldinho....and than they would take some small money out of him
    at

Well considering he's 23 right? Do you really think he'll stay the next club he's at for life? I can think of any number of teams willing to pay a **** load of money for him. (Either of the Milans/Juve/Chelsea). And I think if he does move this year his next transfer fee will be similar to this one and would insist on % of any sell on fee, it's smart business.

at

Well considering he's 23 right? Do you really think he'll stay the next club he's at for life? I can think of any number of teams willing to pay a **** load of money for him. (Either of the Milans/Juve/Chelsea). And I think if he does move this year his next transfer fee will be similar to this one and would insist on % of any sell on fee, it's smart business.

So if we have offer of 100mil from Real how you think to sell him for 20mil and earn from % those 80mil or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

IF we sell Ronaldo for the reported £70-100m , don't you think that the clubs we were looking to buy replacements from just up the price because they know we would have the cash to splash ala Chelsea.
    We would need to buy the replacements before selling him tbh, what do you lads think?
    Is he staying or leaving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

SantryRed wrote: »

''The Sun.''
    Ok,aren't you observant:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Got this from sporting life, what a quote from ferguson. He is certainly crancking up the Pressure on Ronaldo to stay. Could you seriousley see them leaving Ronaldo in the stands and paying his wages?

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/06/01/SOCCER_Man_Utd_Nightlead.html

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson on Sunday claimed the Glazer family, the club's owners, would rather keep the player even if a hypothetical situation arose where he refused to play for the Red Devils.
    The Scot said: "I've had a couple of meetings with the Glazers.
    "Their attitude is, 'to hell with them'. They'd sit a player in the stand, I'm telling you, absolutely no doubt about it, just to prove a point. Not to give in to these people.
    "They've got balls, I can tell you. I've been delighted with them in that respect."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Those quotes have already been posted here in another link! You should read back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Ronaldo to decide in 2 to 3 days

Spoke after the international last night. Tbh, I think this is just more BS instigated by his agent, Jorge Mendes, to try and acquire yet another improved contract and become the best payed player in the world or some other crap. Ronaldo would have his ego massaged yet again and Mendes lines his pockets with an ever-more valuable 15%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

I really don't think ronaldo is going this summer at all..i think he's prob in the middle of getting a new contract from united and that's all he's after at the minute!

Reasons why I don't think Ronaldo will leave this summer:
    1. He has a very lucrative contract as it is (around £122,000 per game).
    2. The club have played no small part in making him who he is today and there's no reason he can't develop further with them (plus his profile is getting built up without the need to transfer).
    3. At 23 he is young and still has plenty of time left to ponder future moves to Spain.
    4. Man united are successful and have high certainty of picking up trophies.
    5. He has a cheeky sense of humour and is probably having a field day with all the attention and love bombardment from Spain.
    6. No reason to suggest he's unhappy with the club and area. (quoted as saying "I'm happy here").

lets just say Ronaldo goes to madrid

cash plus players deal

what players would united want

i can only think of Ramos

who else is good enough for united ??

Yeah i wanted to hear same,if he goes how would you spend 100mil?

And anyway United cant make a deal on % of future selling of Ronaldo coz we need player to replace him so that means we need least 40-50mil to buy some extra player on his place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

lets just say Ronaldo goes to madrid

cash plus players deal

i can only think of Ramos

Ramos is going nowhere in any case, he's the future of that team and they know it.

There's a fair few I'd like - obviously Casillas (but that's even less likely), maybe Higuain, Sneijder, Gago, Robinho. But I'd probably prefer the money, since most of their best players play in positions we're pretty sorted for.

I'm getting less confident of Ronaldo staying tbh.

• Advertisement

They would probably want any number of players from this list: Kaka, Messi, Torres, Mascherano, Luis Fabiano, Huntelaar, Berbatov, Daniel Alves... There's plenty of world class players out there that are easily as good if not better than what united already have. Not all of which are available but with a transfer kitty the size of united's there'd always be someone of high quality.
    that means we need least 40-50mil to buy some extra player on his place
    Admittedly that's quite true. The players currently on a roughly similar level to Ronaldo at the moment include Kaka and Messi. Both of whom would be priced in that high bracket or above.

Admittedly that's quite true. The players currently on a roughly similar level to Ronaldo at the moment include Kaka and Messi. Both of whom would be priced in that high bracket or above.

to replace him United need a goal scorer. Ronaldo's wing play is good, but not exceptional. I think in time Nani will be capable of replacing the wing play and creative element to his game. the goals will have to come from somewhere else though... If Ronaldo goes i think Ferguson will invest more resources in the procurement of a centre forward than a winger.

So if we have offer of 100mil from Real how you think to sell him for 20mil and earn from % those 80mil or more?

I'm not sure you understand the concept and i have no patience to explain it to you.

Also does anyone actually believe that any club would pay £100M for any player. If Ronaldo does go, i think 50-60M tops.

what about Ricardo Quaresma as a replacement

not sure he plays on the same side but still a great player

to replace him United need a goal scorer. Ronaldo's wing play is good, but not exceptional. I think in time Nani will be capable of replacing the wing play and creative element to his game. the goals will have to come from somewhere else though... If Ronaldo goes i think Ferguson will invest more resources in the procurement of a centre forward than a winger.
    Fully agree. I was just speculating a few very imaginative signings that could play out wide (Kaka and Messi) who would also hold a very profile like Ronaldo (but completely unrealistic signings). A striker like Luis Fabiano, Huntelaar etc would realistically top the list this summer to compete with Rooney and Tevez next season. By next season Giggs and Scholes will most likely be phased out completely with Nani taking over fully from Giggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

what about Ricardo Quaresma as a replacement

not sure he plays on the same side but still a great player

Good shout, really like him as a player, although he wouldn't contribute as much as Ronaldo would be a good choice if coupled with a top striker to delivers balls into.
    I think Ronaldo will stay though

I'm not sure you understand the concept and i have no patience to explain it to you.

Also does anyone actually believe that any club would pay £100M for any player. If Ronaldo does go, i think 50-60M tops.

Yes i understand concept and we are talking about 100mil coz Real said they are ready to pay that money so i dont think 50-60mil is maximum as you said

OMG Ricardo Quaresma, no!

People complain about Ronaldo's ego, this guy is the biggest ego in world football. Was it last year or two years ago he called his teammates incompetent and not on his level.

Id rather Nani over Quaresma.

The only Real Madrid players i want are Casillas and Ramos. But that doesnt matter because we wont be getting any money from them and they wont be getting anyone from us unless they want Saha or Silvestre.

Unlikely but I'd take £35m+Casillas. VDS is getting older and although Foster is good I don't think I could trust him in a big match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

What about Robinho? Excellant potential imo. Maybe abit lightweight though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I dont think Real Madrid or any club would pay 100million for Ronaldo. I have my doubts about him staying, if he wants go then SAF should let him. I'd take 30million and Robinho or even squeeze 50million and sign Ribery and Benzima, Ronaldo would soon be forgotten like Beckham,Keane, RVN all have. I would love him to stay for one more season, but i think its quite obvious that Real have made a illegal approach and its up to Ronaldo to tell SAF & United that he wants to go.

If he does go, i couldn't really see him getting any better at Real and he would probably be looking for a move back to england within 3yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's getting ridiculous at this stage. He should clarify his future immediately. If he wants to go then let him. It will be a mistake on his part.

United don't really need any of Madrid's players besides Casillas but I can't see that happening. If it comes down to money, then anything above 55 million should be accepted imo. I think that's a fair valuation when you factor in his goals per game ratio and his marketability.

He should clarify his situation? He said he will in 2 days.

Ribery > Robinho x1000

Yes i understand concept and we are talking about 100mil coz Real said they are ready to pay that money so i dont think 50-60mil is maximum as you said

If they had infact said they are willing to pay any fee that would be tapping up. Blatantly. That is just paper talk and you're on your own if you honestly think 100M will be paid for him by Real, this summer.

As said already and more intelligently, 55M is about accurate, maybe 60 max. Which would give us enough money to buy a winger and striker for 25-30M each. Going a long way to replacing him. If we get that cash i think he'd be less of a loss to the team that DB was.

Of course,thats why i am saying it would be stupid to give him for some small ammont and wait some % of next trade,if he goes we need that money immediatly to buy replacement,and as i said,with 40-50mil in pocket theres no unreplacable player for any team

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement