Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

i wouldnt see messi as a huge physical threat.

he took growth hormones as a kid and suffers lots of injuries as a result.

Hence why i implied he'd be great but priority 1 is with a physical presence????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

my mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Maybe this has been said but, what is the prize money for winning the CL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

rumour has it that United my be making a bid for Miguel Veloso from Sporting Lisbon. hes a central/defensive midfielder and it would be interestin to see a third man from great academy that gave us Ronaldo and Nani.plus Veloso is only 22 and can also play CB so he could give us a bit of cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

kev_s88 wrote: »
    rumour has it that United my be making a bid for Miguel Veloso from Sporting Lisbon. hes a central/defensive midfielder and it would be interestin to see a third man from great academy that gave us Ronaldo and Nani.plus Veloso is only 22 and can also play CB so he could give us a bit of cover

That the same guy we were linked to back when we played them in the CL group stages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Thought i'd throw this pic in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Giggs isn't planning on retiring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJrVfgKcIDg

At least Ferguson has said that he (and Scholes) will be playing a diminished role!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

That the same guy we were linked to back when we played them in the CL group stages?

there was talk about it back then.mainly talk about how great an addition he would be to the club

Thought i'd throw this pic in.

Still funny *8 hours later* :)
    DaveMcG wrote: »
    Giggs isn't planning on retiring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJrVfgKcIDg

At least Ferguson has said that he (and Scholes) will be playing a diminished role!

Giggs has been playing a diminshed role for quite a while, if it wasn't for the record I doubt he would been making as many sub appearences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Giggs has been playing a diminshed role for quite a while, if it wasn't for the record I doubt he would been making as many sub appearences

He's still been affective though,and don't think Fergie was pushing for the record this season,everyone knew he'd be back next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

deise59 wrote: »
    Is Eto'o really such a great player though? Granted im only going on reputation since I never watch La Liga but I wasnt really impressed with what I saw of him against us in the two semi final matches

You have got to be kidding me? 72 goals in his first 100 La Liga games for Barcelona...
    yes he is an amazing player,

had a poor season lots of in fighting with ronaldinho and rijkard.

Ya, poor season, yet he's scored 16 goals in 18 matches... Not that bad....

Doubt United will pay the money required for Etoo, haven't heard any rumours of them even showing interest...

Be wary lads, this current United situation reminds me alot of what I went through 2 seasons ago... Won the CL and League, playing the most enjoyable and attacking football on the planet, look what happened.. These days I feel like a recovering alcoholic working in a brewery...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,439 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Barcelona's problem has been discipline and tactics.

United won't have the discipline problem. As for the tactics..... I STILL don't like our defensive approach to the big games.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Tauren wrote: »
    As for the tactics..... I STILL don't like our defensive approach to the big games.

Cept for last night eh Tauren?

Tauren wrote: »
    Barcelona's problem has been discipline and tactics.

United won't have the discipline problem. As for the tactics..... I STILL don't like our defensive approach to the big games.
    What's wrong with the defence?!

He said the defensive approach, not the defense... I presume he means the cautious approach in Europe and the likes (4-5-1 formation).

• Advertisement

I know what he said,I'm able to read,the defensive approach involves te defence doesn't it?! :rolleyes:

You're a genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,439 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

lordgoat wrote: »
    Cept for last night eh Tauren?
    We started 442 last night - it was later in the game as we were under pressure that we went to 451.
    kmart6 wrote: »
    What's wrong with the defence?!
    Nothing - our defence is brilliant.
    DaveMcG wrote: »
    He said the defensive approach, not the defense... I presume he means the cautious approach in Europe and the likes (4-5-1 formation).
    Yep.
    I know what he said,I'm able to read,the defensive approach involves te defence doesn't it?! :rolleyes:

It also involves that midfield and attack.... there is nothing wrong with the defence, I just don't like the cautious approach we constantly take (such as Barcelona away) in big games. Fergie generally doesn't seem to show faith in the players to let them play as they play best.

DaveMcG wrote:
    You're a genius

And your trying to be smart ass and it ain't working!
    Tauren wrote:
    Fergie generally doesn't seem to show faith in the players to let them play as they play best.

I think in Europe it's just cause he doesn't like the thought of having Ronaldo exposed,you can get away with it in the PL,but not CL! Although in fairness he was doing a bit the other night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And don't forget Deco :D

i think if Xavi moved to citeh you'd actually just explode right there and then :D

• Advertisement

He's still been affective though,and don't think Fergie was pushing for the record this season,everyone knew he'd be back next year!

I think he was pushing Giggs record. Otherwise he;d have given Pique the one added appearance that would have given him a league medal against West Ham.

Can we put this to bed now!?!

Goddamn Madrid and tabloids never shut up!! UEFA or FIFA should be on to Madrid to tell them to keep their gobs shut about players that arent contracted to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Can we put this to bed now!?!

Goddamn Madrid and tabloids never shut up!! UEFA or FIFA should be on to Madrid to tell them to keep their gobs shut about players that arent contracted to them.
    You would think that would be the end of it wouldnt you, but a tenner says more quotes wiull be thrown around next week, yawn.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Hello new thread. I should really look at the soccer forum instead of just looking at my subscribed threads page.

Ronaldo staying put but perhaps only for one more season, prob try to retain both trophies and then tip on.

eZe^ wrote: »
    You have got to be kidding me? 72 goals in his first 100 La Liga games for Barcelona...

Ya, poor season, yet he's scored 16 goals in 18 matches... Not that bad....

Doubt United will pay the money required for Etoo, haven't heard any rumours of them even showing interest...

Tbh 6 months ago Id have LOVED him at United, now given some of the statements from him that Ive read, Im not so sure that he's the right man for us....

eZe^ wrote:
    Be wary lads, this current United situation reminds me alot of what I went through 2 seasons ago... Won the CL and League, playing the most enjoyable and attacking football on the planet, look what happened.. These days I feel like a recovering alcoholic working in a brewery...

I know man. Im aware that United could go a long time before we get our hands on the European Cup again thats why im enjoying this now. I do, and have done before, see the similarities between United 08 and Barca 06.

However there are a few differences that I see.

Firstly United have a far better defence than Barca did, while Barca have a better overall attacking unit. Barca then bought the wrong players to strengthen that defence (Thuram in particular, not so much Zambo)

Who else did Barca sign after 06? They lost larsson and replaced with him with Gudjohnsson yes?

The other major thing is, that while our main star Ronaldo is an egomaniac, I dont see him going down the same road as Ronaldinho.

And finally the average age of this United teams core is a lot younger. That and the hunger that Im sure fergie has drilled into them will for me ensure that we at least have a good chance of future success.

Where do u think it was went wrong man?

EDIT: Actually I think it was Ten Cate leaving myself. Lets hope Carlos stays cos I think he's been a huge influence on our recent success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

So Pique's on the verge of leaving: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3600493,00.html. Says he thinks Ferguson has frozen him out of the squad since he made it clear he wanted to go back to Barca.

Shame, even from that story he seems like a really cool guy - talking about how the team owed it to the Busby Babes to win the CL. He seemed genuinely happy for the team on Wednesday too even though he wasn't involved. Hope his career takes off.

As someone said the main difference between Man Utd 08 and Barca 06 is the manager. He has shown before that he can push the team on, and hopefully he does that. To be honest I think a few signings always helps with this as everyone starts thinking sh*t I'm not safe here at all. Secondly Fergie has shown before (even this season if certain Carrick rumours are to be believed) that he will not stand for anyone dropping there standards. While Frank seemed to lose the dressing room at Barca due to different factions forming and a lot of politics, I cant see Fergie ever losing the dressing room and Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

So Pique's on the verge of leaving: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3600493,00.html. Says he thinks Ferguson has frozen him out of the squad since he made it clear he wanted to go back to Barca.

Shame, even from that story he seems like a really cool guy - talking about how the team owed it to the Busby Babes to win the CL. He seemed genuinely happy for the team on Wednesday too even though he wasn't involved. Hope his career takes off.

Its another loss for united it is hard to get young guys like him the chance in the team these days, I think he is in a similiar situation to Rossi last season and knows that for his own progress he has to leave.
    I liked him and hoped he would get his chance but not at the expense of the vidic ferdi partnership which works so well.

Agreed 100% seemed like a really good lad, and a good team/squad player. He always seemed to really get on with everyone. Its a shame to see him go but I hope he does push on become a top class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

any one hear any movement on alvez and fabiano?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Agreed 100% seemed like a really good lad, and a good team/squad player. He always seemed to really get on with everyone. Its a shame to see him go but I hope he does push on become a top class player.

I liked Pique...pity he is leaving, was he not gonna get his game ever?

cheesedude wrote: »

to be honest with vida and rio i dont think he could have made the first team any time soon so for hi career maybe the move is the right thing!

Would you break up Rio and Vidic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No...obviously not, just thought maybe he may get enough chances with the amount of fixtures...

Then I don't understand why Ferguson is annoyed with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

To be fair, Pique was never going to get a chance and although he's a big lad, he seemed to lack a bit of physicality and strength in the way Rio and Vida had.

No...obviously not, just thought maybe he may get enough chances with the amount of fixtures...

Then I don't understand why Ferguson is annoyed with him.

In fairness though he was never gonna be first choice not for a couple of years anyway. As a CB i think you need to get full seasons into him to become a top class centre half. He is at the age now where he wants to be playing all the time, he wants to start getting games for the national side, and he also has his his home club interested in him. Its an easy choice for him, but he seemed to voice it before the end of the season which is wrong and prob why he wasn't involved towards the end (to get his league medal), or in the Cl final (on the bench).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He was never gonna be good enough to replace either of rio of vida, simple really, but i would not be suprised at all if Fergie did freeze him out after he admitted he would like to return to Barca. he has form for it!

i hope that if/when they do sell him they can add in some sort of "first preference" clause to the contract to buy him back when he gets more experience! would be a good idea imo

i hope that if/when they do sell him they can add in some sort of "first preference" clause to the contract to buy him back when he gets more experience! would be a good idea imo

I'd really doubt that he would come back.

• Advertisement

It would be a good idea alright.
    I'd really doubt that he would come back.

Never say never is the point. We dont know what could happen in two, three, four years. No reason not to try get a first option clause on an obviously talented young player.

Be nice to keep Pique though,he did play 9 times in the PL after all and a couple of times in the CL and he was solid enough!

It would be a good idea alright.

Never say never is the point. We dont know what could happen in two, three, four years. No reason not to try get a first option clause on an obviously talented young player.

Of course, but I'm just saying that if he turns out to be a good player at Barca and progresses then he'll stay there. There'd be no reason for him to come back to United and I don't think its been an altogether great experience for him as such.

Players come and go all the time, everybody can be replaced to an extent, luckily Pique wasnt a vital member of the team, although he managed to score a couple of nice goals this season, he never struck me as being aggressive enough to hold down a place in the team, a better version of JOS but less versatile imo.

could turn out to be great, but it wouldnt have happened at United.

Be nice to keep Pique though,he did play 9 times in the PL after all and a couple of times in the CL and he was solid enough!

9 PL games split up over the course of the season, and 2(I think) CL games aint enough if you want to improve as a player. I think everyone would want to keep him, but you cant blame him for wanting to move.

Who else is inline to go this summer. Obviously Saha. I think Silvestre, Evans, Simpson could also go leaving us light at the back. Eagles could go. Campbell could go. Wellbeck on a season/half season loan. Heaton could go. O'Shea and Fletcher though I wouldn't expect it, they both seem happy being squad players at a successful club rather than first teamers at a crappy club.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

O'Shea and Fletcher though I wouldn't expect it, they both seem happy being squad players at a successful club rather than first teamers at a crappy club.
    O'Shea would certainly be found out if he was a regular first teamer at another club. I'd say thats why he's content to sit on the bench at United! :pac:

• Advertisement

Cant see Silvestre going to be honest, or O Shea and definatly not Flectcher

Im amazed Eagles is still at the club actually, suprised nobody took him yet, he would do well in a lower prem team or good championship team i feel.

the real question is, how the fook are we gonna convince someone to take Saha off our hands!!!! and if nobody will, unlikely, should we just release him?

PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    O'Shea would certainly be found out if he was a regular first teamer at another club. I'd say thats why he's content to sit on the bench at United! :pac:

Possibly true. 4 years ago he would have still been considering a young player and given time to develop, he wouldn't get that chance now, he would have to perform from day one. Also a reason why I dont think you would see too many clubs interested in him. To be honest I would be happy to have John stay the club for the rest of his carear, he provides solidish cover in a number of areas and Fergie seems to rally like him meaning he must be a good lad around the dressing room. However if Fergie goes and someone apart form Carlos replaces him then bye bye john.

kryogen wrote: »
    Cant see Silvestre going to be honest, or O Shea and definatly not Flectcher

Im amazed Eagles is still at the club actually, suprised nobody took him yet, he would do well in a lower prem team or good championship team i feel.

the real question is, how the fook are we gonna convince someone to take Saha off our hands!!!! and if nobody will, unlikely, should we just release him?

I honestly think Silvestre would go. O'Shea and Fletcher I agree with but you never know what offers could come in. Though as I just explained, I doubt to many for O'Shea, Fletcher may attract interest though.

Eagles is another that has to move on, it may take a loan deal for him to get a permanant move but either way he cant start next season at Utd.

We will manage to get rid of Saha wether we get any money though I dont know. Regards releasing him it all comes down to money I feel. If it will cost the same to keep him on the books then he will be kept, if its cheaper to agree some contract compensation and let him find his own club then release him. Prob cheaper to release him as he would have the small possibilty of getting a signing on fee, a contract, plus his some of his wages from utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Has this been posted yet?

:D
    550yma.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

ahahahahaha,cool thing:D
    Anyway just reading infos from todays Spain papers,Robinho + 80 mil for Ronaldo,thats offer from Real and next week they will negotiate with United

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement