Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Even if we did manage to get 50-60m for Ronaldo, I wouldn't be happy. To make up for his loss, we'd need a world class winger as well as a world class striker imo. With 25-30m for each, that's not impossible, but I'm really not sure any of the prospective candidates are likely to be available. Benzema, Eto'o, Drogba, Villa, Benzema would probably be the world class strikers who might be on the move - can't see any of them coming to United (particularly as Chelsea, Barca, Milan at least will all be in for them). As for wingers, there really aren't too many good options around - Ribery would be lovely, but I can't see him leaving Bayern. Then there's the likes of Quaresma, Sneijder, Silva - good players but not great, and also difficult to obtain.

Right now, if you offered me Eto'o/Benzema and Ribery/Silva for Ronaldo I'd be ecstatic. But if you offered me 60m for Ronaldo I'd be a lot less confident, because I highly doubt we'll be able to get two players of that quality on today's market - whatever money we have.

Anyway, obviously the only way we would sell Ronaldo was if he wants to go - and if he wants to go then there's not a lot we can do about it - so I guess 55m is a pretty good return for a player we paid 12m for, and pretty much won us two leagues and a CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

we'll manage without him. No player is irraplceable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Attractive Nun: Man Utd are champions of Europe, and there's no reason that they couldnt attract the likes of Benzema, Berbatov, Villa or Eto'o ahead of Milan/Inter/Real if they really wanted them.

Ribery would be hard to prise from Bayern, but Quaresma has only recently said he wants a move this summer. Silva will no doubt want to leave Valencia this season too. Both of them are quality. Silva is proven at the highest level, and while Querasma didnt make an impact at Barca, he has proved himself at Porto in the Champions League in recent seasons.

As for Ronaldo... with this "my future will be announced on Tuesday" nonsense, things aren't looking good. No matter if he decides to stay or go, I'd be seriously disappointed in how he's messing the club about if I was a Man Utd fan. He's talking out of both sides of his mouth, just as he did after the World Cup 2 years ago.

I'm not trying to start a willy-waving contest, but it contrasts greatly with how Torres dealt with speculation linking him to Chelsea - he flat-out denied it, and pledged his future to the club for 'many years'. Sure, Ronaldo has said he is happy, and he won't leave, but he also says that he can't promise anything, he wants to play in Spain and so on... very unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

bottom line is United will survive without him. 100m is ridiculous for any player and United could put that money to great use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

If we sold now what will happen 3 years down the line if Anderson and Nani take Real's fancey? Oh and what about Evra/ Vidic the list goes on. If Madrid take Ronaldo now United can forget about dominating europe for the next 5 years. We got screwed big time over the Beckham sale ,he should have never been allowed to go until we had signed Ronaldinho. Plus of we sell Ronaldo for 55 million and then go after Benzema Lyon will look for 45m easily.

Quaresma is a barcelona reject it would be like Chelsea selling Robin and going for Zendan as his replacement ..ehh no thanks!

Cant see us getting Benzema as he has already said Italy/Spain is his prefered destination and I reckon Ronaldo is just looking for more money at the moment. He said he was going to Real after the world cup fallout and stayed Im fairley confident he is staying!

I agree that United should have replacements not just lined up but agreements in place before letting him go but I'm sure they are well aware of all the repercussions of selling. It's not a nice way to run a club but if Ronaldo wants to go then maybe they should take the big bag of cash being offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Quaresma is a barcelona reject it would be like Chelsea selling Robin and going for Zendan as his replacement ..ehh no thanks!

What about Riquelme? Simao? Arteta? Fabregas? All ex-Barcelona players, all capable of playing at the highest level. For me, there are no question marks regarding Quaresma's quality and abilities - only his attitude and temperment.

What about Riquelme? Simao? Arteta? Fabregas? All ex-Barcelona players, all capable of playing at the highest level. For me, there are no question marks regarding Quaresma's quality and abilities - only his attitude and temperment.
    You forgot Pique.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Attractive Nun: Man Utd are champions of Europe, and there's no reason that they couldnt attract the likes of Benzema, Berbatov, Villa or Eto'o ahead of Milan/Inter/Real if they really wanted them.

See this is the thing. I bet there are loads of footballers whose main concern is not the footballing aspect of it. They are humans and have to think of their familys, and would probably prefer certain cultures over another. It's not as simple as throw this amount of money at them and they will come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Ribery plus Benzema = yes please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

TonyD79 wrote: »
    . We got screwed big time over the Beckham sale ,he should have never been allowed to go until we had signed Ronaldinho.

Well we have a certain Mr Kenyon to blame for that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Well we have a certain Mr Kenyon to blame for that situation.

why, what exactly happpened there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    why, what exactly happpened there?

Some people say he knew he was going to Chelski at that stage and deliberately screwed up the deal.

You're right in a sense - right now we're in a good spot and should be competing to sign the world's best players. However, just thinking about possible signings individually, the only striker of those mentioned that I would rate as likely to come to United would be Berbatov. Though I'd also have a sneaky suspicion that Eto'o might be available for a move to England this summer.

Like someone said, there's a lot more to transfers than the best players just picking the best clubs.
    As for Ronaldo... with this "my future will be announced on Tuesday" nonsense, things aren't looking good. No matter if he decides to stay or go, I'd be seriously disappointed in how he's messing the club about if I was a Man Utd fan. He's talking out of both sides of his mouth, just as he did after the World Cup 2 years ago.

I would have agreed with you up to a few days ago. I didn't really think there was any chance of him leaving this season, and I assumed all his 'no one knows the future' lark was just him attention-seeking or angling for a better contract. Considering what how the club and the fans have supported him in his career, he was being a bit of a cock and should have played out any contract demands in private, but hey I can live with that. But now I think that he was (probably still is) seriously considering moving to Spain - like he was after the World Cup.

Maybe it would be better to keep quiet about the whole thing, I dunno. But considering the amount of times he's been asked the question, if he had answered every time 'I am staying at Manchester United this season, definitely' when he didn't mean it, I think that would be even worse if he does end up going to Madrid. It's a tough call for him, but I do think he owes the fans some sort of explanation for this ****e, whatever his decision.

If he does go, I'll be the first to thank him for what he's done in his five seasons here - and I'd applaud him in the CL for Madrid. But I'd also be very disappointed. Not just because we'd have lost our best player (and lost him to Madrid of all teams), but because United and Ferguson have given quite a lot to Ronaldo. Took a chance on him as a kid, developed his game to no end, stood by him in his showpony years, stood by him in his Public Enemy No. 1 days, sold RVN and built a team around him, made him the main man and tolerated all the transfer speculation - the fans singing Viva Ronaldo all the while. I wouldn't say that he 'owes' us anything (2 PLs and a CL are decent payback!), but to leave now - when Fergie's last great team just needs to finally phase out Scholes and Giggs to be complete, when it's clear the team has at least another 2-3 seasons of trophies in it, when Ronaldo knows he is the focal point of that team - well I would have hoped he felt a bit more of a connection to the club than to just up and leave with 4 years left on his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Whatever he does in the next few days, hes really gone down in my estimations with his behaviour. Hes acting like a tool.

I think United should block his transfer to Madrid this summer and refuse to sell him to the club, then transfer list him mid season.:D

Seriously though, what a tosser!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ok ive given it alot of thought, and Ronaldo can only say 3 things:

1: The Paul Scholes school of loyalty: He comes out and says i owe Ferguson so much that i refuse to leave untill he does. (Which we all want.)

2: The Steven Gerrard school of will he wont he: He says he is staying "for now" which basically means we get 12 more months of VIVA RONALDOOOOO untill all the bull**** starts again. (Which i expect.)

3: The Gabby Heinze school of what the ****: Turns around and just leaves, why? We dont know, but he sure as hell aint going to Liverpool. (Which is currently what Schuster and Calderon think of while pleasure themselves.)

Also, it was said that getting David Villa would be unlikley, well when you come out and say "Manchester United are my favourite English team, i love the way they play." Kind of hints that you are interested, i think its just a case of wether we want him or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

If he wants to go I guess we have to sell him, but to everyone who says we should take 50-60million, it must be remembered that this is real madrid were talking about. He may only be worth 50-60million, but real have a history of spending ridiculous amounts of money and I definitely think we could squeeze more out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

hope its not football related - Ronaldo: would like to announce a new sponsorship deal
    etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

saw on sky sports that Robinho claims that Manchester United have enquired as to his availability.

this is a cash plus player deal

no thanks on Robinho i think he's useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

adox wrote: »
    Seriously though, what a tosser!

Lets be honest he always was a tosser. Whether he deserves it or not his head was\is too big

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Lets be honest he always was a tosser. Whether he deserves it or not his head was\is too big

But like, what is he supposed to say? He doesn't know if he's going to be here next season (I assume).

If he says: 'I'm not leaving', then leaves anyway - then that's not cool.
    If he says: 'I want to leave', then that will cause serious disruption if he stays.
    So he effectively says: 'I like it here, but I'm not sure where I'll be next season', which is presumably the truth and covers himself whatever happens.

Like I said, he will go down in my estimation a bit if he leaves, but you can hardly call him a tosser for leaving - the vast majority of highly sought after players will switch clubs a few times in their careers, especially when they are not playing in their home country.

Whatever happens, I ****ing hate Real Madrid.

Robinho is just **** sitrring anyway, 2 weeks ago he said Chelsea want him, they didnt bite so he moves on to us. Robinho is a more skillful and 1/8 hard working Park.

Why is Ronaldo a tosser? Because he wont come out and said "IM UNITED TILL I DIE!!!", no professional player does that because nobody knows.

His ego is what makes Ronaldo who he is, he wouldnt be the best player in the world if he didnt have his cheeky brovado, its what sets him apart. If thats why he is a tosser then i am happy to see a tosser lead United to glory.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    His ego is what makes Ronaldo who he is, he wouldnt be the best player in the world if he didnt have his cheeky brovado.

A come on now. He's a great talent, fantastic but he has flaws... his ego is a bit tooooo much now lets be fair! And he did say he was staying on multiple occasions then saying somewhat different things to Spanish/Portuguese press

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Thats old news at this stage,there was talk of that last week or two weeks ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Why is Ronaldo a tosser? Because he wont come out and said "IM UNITED TILL I DIE!!!", no professional player does that because nobody knows.

He could at least commit for the forseeable future, as Torres did for Liverpool a few days back, instead of this 'I'll clarify in a few days' bullshit.

It's the fact he's leaving everyone in limbo that grates.

is a few days tomorrow or wed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He could at least commit for the forseeable future, as Torres did for Liverpool a few days back, instead of this 'I'll clarify in a few days' bullshit.

It's the fact he's leaving everyone in limbo that grates.

Torres has only been at Liverpool for one season - Ronaldo has been here 5 years - it is completely different.

But the talk of Torres was stupid and had no grounds! Easier for hi to come out and say that since he's only been there a season! Was never a chance of him leaving Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If I was a United supporter, I wouldn't be too bothered whether Ronaldo decided to stay or decided to leave when you consider the numbers being bandied around.

He is obviously a great player and had a massive part in United's recent successes but any player is replaceable when you have 50+ million to spend.

Same here. I'd be happy if he stayed or if we got 70/80m for him.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    Torres has only been at Liverpool for one season - Ronaldo has been here 5 years - it is completely different.

I don't think that matters. Torres is 24, Ronaldo is 23. Torres hasn't ruled out a move to Spain but has said he will stay in England for the time being. No reason why Ronaldo can't say the same thing.

If he wants to go now he's an idiot in my view. He could down as one of the greats if he commits for the time being but if he leaves, it will put a real sour note on his time at the club.

Torres hasn't ruled out a move to Spain.

Difference is he came from Spain!

kmart6 wrote: »

Can you explain why that would cause a difference?

or just explain what you mean if you can, maybe it was all a typo?

He's only been here a year and came from Spain,has played there all his life,he's had the experience,wanted spmething different! Ronaldo has been here for 5,came from Portugal and someday want's to play in Spain! Can you see a difference now?!

A typo,how,maybe you can't read!

I don't see how that makes a difference? :confused:

I don't see how that makes a difference? :confused:
    Look above!

He's only been here a year and came from Spain,has played there all his life,he's had the experience,wanted spmething different! Ronaldo has been here for 5,came from Portugal and someday want's to play in Spain! Can you see a difference now?!

A typo,how,maybe you can't read!

It could likewise be argued that Torres would be more justified in wanting to go back to Spain since he's from there and all his friends and family live there, unlike Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is entitled to want to play in Spain but there's no reason why he should go immediately. He looks set to have many years left in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Ronaldo is entitled to want to play in Spain but there's no reason why he should go immediately. He looks set to have many years left in the game.

If he does go i can see him coming back within 3yrs or so if things dont go his way.

Hang on now, Torres has only had 1 bloody season here, and he was fantastic, everyone knew he was going nowhere it was literally bull**** that he would go and even then he was linked to Chelsea.

Ronaldo on the other hand conquered the World with United this year, his 5th and the only reason he would want to leave is for a new challenge.

Torres has just started his new challenge. Big difference.

I dont see what the big fuss is, Ronaldo didnt commit his future because he wasnt sure what it was and that could mean hes getting a new United contract.

Another thing is, when hes talking to British press its "I will stay i will stay i will stay" But the Spanish press say different. Maybe they are making it up? To raise doubt in our minds over his faith to United. Seems to be working tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

I'd be happy to see the back of him for 60/70 million as someone said above. I mean who does he think he is? All we've heard since the days in the leadup to the CL final was that he's considering where his future lies and now at the weekend he announces at last he'll be announcing his decision in the coming days. He'd want to cop on. One man doesn't make a team. What would Royston say to him if he were still at OT????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It could likewise be argued that Torres would be more justified in wanting to go back to Spain since he's from there and all his friends and family live there, unlike Ronaldo.

Ronaldo's lack is from Spain

Royston would call him a langer

'won' the diamond sleved jersey and the faded OT one ebay earlier - hopefully they arrive soon enough!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'd be happy to see the back of him for 60/70 million as someone said above. I mean who does he think he is? All we've heard since the days in the leadup to the CL final was that he's considering where his future lies and now at the weekend he announces at last he'll be announcing his decision in the coming days. He'd want to cop on. One man doesn't make a team. What would Royston say to him if he were still at OT????

He's his own person, let him make his own mind up, he doesn't owe us anything.

Royston would call him a langer

Or a muppet :D

I never said he owes us anything. I'd happily take the huge amount of money and say adios to the boy if he really wants to go.

• Advertisement

Why as United fans are you happy to keep talking about the tripe the tabloids come out with i.e the Ronaldo Saga?
    is this really the most interesting/relevant thing going on at manyoo at the moment?

Why as United fans are you happy to keep talking about the tripe the tabloids come out with i.e the Ronaldo Saga?
    is this really the most interesting/relevant thing going on at manyoo at the moment?

lets see....

the league.... not on at the moment.

cup competitions... not on at the moment.

new signings... none at the moment.

latest player bid for.... haven't heard anything.

latest friendly match... nope.

Star player possibly leaving? Yep.

So, yep, Roonie possibly leaving IS the only thing really to talk about at the moment.

Tauren wrote: »
    lets see....

the league.... not on at the moment.

cup competitions... not on at the moment.

new signings... none at the moment.

latest player bid for.... haven't heard anything.

latest friendly match... nope.

Star player possibly leaving? Yep.

So, yep, Roonie possibly leaving IS the only thing really to talk about at the moment.

add to the fact that these quotes have been televised on sky sports etc so not just the tabloids...bit a truth in them!

But still all speculative in fairness!

But still all speculative in fairness!

true - but its pretty much all there is to talk about. Its a pain, but that is the way it is.

i'd love United to announce the signings of Alves and Benzema this week to give us something else to talk about!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement