Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Oh yeah I know that,it's all been pretty dull so far...but somehow we're after getting 1000 posts:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

oh ffs, is this crap still going on?

im really glad i dont believe in self fulfilling prophecies with the way some people on here change their mind about a player at the whim of the media

he said he wants to stay- fact
    club said they wont sell-fact
    said its a dream to play in Spain one day-fact
    said dreams dont always come true-fact

now wouldnt it be easier to just let the media play their own games and for us to concentrate on next season, with or without Ronaldo, we should be possibly discussing who we would like to see brought in to improve the team

pages upon pages of this tripe and all it is is chineese whispers

thank **** he will make a statement today if my info is correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kryogen wrote: »
    he said he wants to stay- fact
    club said they wont sell-fact
    said its a dream to play in Spain one day-fact
    said dreams dont always come true-fact

Yes, they are all facts - but he has also said he will make an announcement regarding his future, today. That is also a fact, that is something Ronaldo has said and NOT something the media has made up. If it was as simple as him staying, there would be no need for an announcement and certainly no need to wait a couple of weeks (at this point) to make it. If it turns out his statement today is "I am staying" then great - but it should not have been allowed to get this far, with talk of announcements in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Exactly. Lets not bury our heads in the sand - Ronaldo has said a lot of things, a lot of contradicting things. You can't just cherry-pick whatever you want to believe and present it as 'the facts'. If it was all simple and clear-cut, there would surely be no need for a statement.

Latest transfer talk has Santa Cruz being linked to us.

First off, it says he is our number 1 target, at 15million.... hopefully not true cause i think that price is too high and their are better strikers around.

Also, I am just not sure about him. I'd prefer to see how he does in his second season, there have been plenty of strikers that have done brilliantly one season and relitively poorly the next, sure just look at his team mate McCarthy for proof of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

For 7 or 8m I'd take him. I don't think he's a one season wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Don't think Blackburn will let him go after the season he had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

he may be a decent aquisition but the main question to ask is can he handle life in the top 4?! i mean he looked brilliant this season but could that just be a "big fish-small pond" type of thing? (no offence intended to blackburn)

He's goal scoring record for Munich was pretty poor - generally only getting around 5 goals a season according to the stats I have seen. Do you reckon it was that much harder for him to get goals in the German league for Munich? He may go on to have another great season, but personally I would be a little aprehinsive of buying a player based on one good season when you see what his past form was like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Just to let everyone know Sir David Frost's interview with Fergie is on tonight at 8pm on Sky Sports 1. Also in the interview he says he is more than confident that Ronaldo will be here next season.

• Advertisement

I think at this stage we have all read and heard all the good bits from the interview already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Tauren wrote: »
    I think at this stage we have all read and heard all the good bits from the interview already!
    Maybe so, to be honest hearing about the Ronaldo saga is the last thing Id watch the interview for. Think he mentions Gazza in it and how he regrets not signing him, sad how he really has gone off the rails, you got to wonder would things have been different for him if Fergie got his hands on him.

A little news round up for y'all.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=96260

Man Utd boss Ferguson hints he sees Keane as successor

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson admits Sunderland's Roy Keane could eventually succeed him at Old Trafford.

Fergie told Sir David Frost on Sky Sports said: "The most important man at Manchester United is the manager - without question.

"The minute that ever changed it would mean massive free-fall in the club. You can never allow the players and you can never allow the supporters to run the football club.

"Without our supporters, we'd be nothing - without the players, we'd be nothing.

"They are the most important components of a football club - but somebody has to run it.

"Somebody has to be in charge and the manager is the best man and has always got to be supported."

Perhaps Fergie's last and most important job at United will be to identify his replacement - with some of his old stars in the frame.

He said: "You can't discount them obviously, but it's not a prerequisite for the job to have played for United.

"I mean I didn't play for United. I mean Matt Busby played for Man City, you know? So I think it will be down to ability and how well some managers are doing at the time. And, of course, you can't discount Carlos Queiroz. I think he's outstanding. He's done fantastic work for the club."

Ferguson also gave special praise to Sunderland manager Keane - who gave 12 years of outstanding service as a player at Old Trafford.

The United chief said: "Roy is a very intelligent man. He reads good books and he's a very clever man.

"We have a few clever players and lads you know.

"Ronaldo's a very intelligent boy. Some of them like reading books - I like to see that.

"But Roy had fantastic concentration and focus in the eyes. Bryan Robson had it too - the glazed eye during games, you know?"

And what about the prospect of a first-ever foreigner managing the club? Fergie joked: "I think they still call me a foreigner! Sometimes it's very hard to understand Scottish accents when I speak too quickly. I think they thought I was from overseas."

Don't really see much there indicating Roy should be the nexgt manager - just that he reads good books! Not much of a headline though, is it?

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=96262

Chelsea aim to trump Man Utd for Moutinho

Chelsea are planning a bid for Sporting Lisbon midfielder Joao Moutinho.

The Sun says Chelsea are set to launch their own £15m bid to nick Sporting Lisbon ace Moutinho from under Manchester United's noses.

Owner Roman Abramovich is reluctant to pay a £20m get-out clause in the Portugal star's contract - although he might have to if he impresses at Euro 2008.

United have been following Moutinho closely all season and were considering whether to make a move this summer or wait one more season.

But Chelsea's interest could force their hand.

Have to say I wouldn't be THAT bothered if we missed out on Moutinho - Anderson will be the creative force of the United midfield, we don't need Moutinho.

There are also some stories on Fabiano and Saha - nothing worth posting about though - stories have already bene posted previously, nothing new in the 'new' ones. Just Fabiano being an alternative to Benzema and Fergie is fed up with Saha.

http://www.rivals.net/news/pgarticle.aspx?artid=13562_3643638&id=40

Sir Alex Ferguson and Phil Brown are reportedly 'locked in talks' over striking prodigy Fraizer Campbell, with the two clubs in frank discussions about the Yorkshire born sensation making a permanent switch to Hull City...

Speculation surrounding Fraizer Campbell's playing future has come to the fore yet again, with reports in the national media suggesting Manchester United and Hull City have been spending the day attempting to thrash out a deal for the promising young forward.

Campbell - who shot to prominence with the Tigers in the Championship this season - made an immediate impact on Hull City's fortunes and his 15 league goals helped catapult the East Yorkshire side into the top flight for the first time in 104 years of trying.

It is alleged the Manchester United manager has slapped a price tag on the hitman that could rise to £5m with bonuses in a bold attempt to scare off Hull City's advances. Yet, it appears that attempt has been futile with the two Premier League sides working towards an amicable package and the Tigers prepared to pay the asking price.

One of the ideas thought to be mooted; is a season long loan package with an option to make down payments towards a permanent move, but nothing formally - either sale or loan - has been agreed at this stage, with the clubs continuing to negotiate the right package.

Hopefully he is not sold - i'd like to see him loaned out, to see if he can cut it in the prem, then we can take him back and give him a chance with us next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i hate the waiting for new players

come on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Have to say I wouldn't be THAT bothered if we missed out on Moutinho - Anderson will be the creative force of the United midfield, we don't need Moutinho.

Creatively this season I didn't see that much from Anderson to be too optimistic that he will be the new creative driving force at United.

For a finish I don't think even Ferguson knew what to do with him, whether play him as a defensive midfielder, box to box, or advanced attacker.

Boggles wrote: »
    Creatively this season I didn't see that much from Anderson to be too optimistic that he will be the new creative driving force at United.

For a finish I don't think even Ferguson knew what to do with him, whether play him as a defensive midfielder, box to box, or advanced attacker.

Yeah, but you rate wes brown....:D

Yeah, but you rate wes brown....:D

In fairness Creatively he was better than Anderson!! :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

In fairness neither brown nor anderson can be considered overly attacking types of players.
    Anderson is a excellent excellent prospect.
    Could be the next Makelele if he keeps progressing the way he has.
    Also has an eye for a pass, but he is no Paul Scholes, far from it.
    Think Fergie sees the future as being Anderson/carrick/hargreaves best 2 from 3
    or even all 3 with one up front for tough away matches.
    Pretty formidable defensively, but Carrick can be a weak link when he goes missing in games.

• Advertisement

IrishMike wrote: »

Miles ahead of Maka when it comes to vision, but nobody will be as good as Paul Scholes. Remember him when he was 19 breaking into the side. Playing upfront and droping deep. Trying lobs, chips, picking 40yrd passes no hassle. Arriving late in the box. We wont see that again for a long time imo.

Trilla wrote: »
    Miles ahead of Maka when it comes to vision, but nobody will be as good as Paul Scholes. Remember him when he was 19 breaking into the side. Playing upfront and droping deep. Trying lobs, chips, picking 40yrd passes no hassle. Arriving late in the box. We wont see that again for a long time imo.

Makalele in his prime was an excellent passer of the ball and had vision and a
    good range of passing.
    Anderson at 19 would be doing very well to be compared to probably the
    best DM of his generation.
    To say his vision is miles ahead is a stretch to say the very least.
    He is a excellent prospect and has had some very good games in a united
    shirt, but he is still not near Makalele in his prime.

In fairness neither brown nor anderson can be considered overly attacking types of players.
    Pretty formidable defensively, but Carrick can be a weak link when he goes missing in games.

to be fair, carrick really has come into his own as of late, the second half of the season in particular he hit a decent amount of form, if he keeps this up (no reason why he couldnt) i think he will get a firm grip on a 1st choice starting place!

I can see it being all 3 in a 4-3-3 formation similar to the CL Final.........

God I love the CL Final...no matter what happens between United and Chawsey next season, we always won the first ever all English final!

Anderson is actually 20, huge huge potential all agreed. But if you gauge him against the likes of Fabergas at only 21 he is no way near the level to be getting me overly excited about him being our new creative mistro.

In Fairness to Anderson, when Scholes was his age Ferguson hadn't a clue where to play him either.

I can see it being all 3 in a 4-3-3 formation similar to the CL Final.........

God I love the CL Final...no matter what happens between United and Chawsey next season, we always won the first ever all English final!

ye isnt it brilliant, no matter hoew many times i see it, itll never get old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Anderson is actually 20, huge huge potential all agreed. But if you gauge him against the likes of Fabergas at only 21 he is no way near the level to be getting me overly excited about him being our new creative mistro.

In Fairness to Anderson, when Scholes was his age Ferguson hadn't a clue where to play him either.

Excuse me?

I do know if youve heard a certain song, but on more than 1 occasion this season Anderson has **** ON FABREGAS!

:p

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Excuse me?

I do know if youve heard a certain song, but on more than 1 occasion this season Anderson has **** ON FABREGAS!

Haha

If Ronaldo does anounce today or whenever it is he is going to Real Madrid, you think Ferguson might table a cheeky bid for Fabergas??

I would love to see that young fella in a United shirt.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Excuse me?

Anderson is not even in the same league as Fabregas.
    Please God dont start saying he is, or mentioning the word potential.
    Xavi, Fabregas and Pirlo are in a league of the own.
    Scholes is the only United player that could even be mentioned in the same
    breath but he is in the twilight of his career now.

Haha

If Ronaldo does anounce today or whenever it is he is going to Real Madrid, you think Ferguson might table a cheeky bid for Fabergas??

It would probably cost the same amount to buy Fabregas as it would to buy Ronaldo.
    Will go down as 2 of the best players to ever play the game and the fact that
    both are with clubs with huge amounts of money means that the transfer
    fees would be astronomical.
    Would make a damn interesting silly season though if it happened!!

Anderson is not even in the same league as Fabregas.

Agreed Fabergas is on a different planet to Anderson at the moment.

• Advertisement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7433277.stm

Cardiff City have confirmed Manchester United are one of three Premier League clubs that have made bids for their teenage sensation Aaron Ramsey.

The Champions League and Premier League winners have tabled an offer believed to be in the region of £5m.

FA Cup finalists Cardiff are also considering offers for Wales' Under-21 star from Premier League rivals Arsenal and Liverpool, BBC Sport understands.

Ramsey, 17, has played just 22 games for Championship side Cardiff.

you do text alerts Tauren? I might subscribe!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7433277.stm

Cardiff City have confirmed Manchester United are one of three Premier League clubs that have made bids for their teenage sensation Aaron Ramsey.

The Champions League and Premier League winners have tabled an offer believed to be in the region of £5m.

FA Cup finalists Cardiff are also considering offers for Wales' Under-21 star from Premier League rivals Arsenal and Liverpool, BBC Sport understands.

Ramsey, 17, has played just 22 games for Championship side Cardiff.

I thought that was a done deal?

Trilla wrote: »
    you do text alerts Tauren? I might subscribe!!
    Funnily enough I know EXACTLY how to send an automated SMS to multiple phones from a website.... just not how to charge for it!
    I thought that was a done deal?
    Nah - there was a lot of talk about it in the lead up to the FA Cup final, but nothing really came of it.

Not sure what this bid will amount to either, as there have been reports of £5million bids being rejected. I had read United were going to offer him back on loan next season, and that the fee would rise depending on appearances and success.

Has anyone seen Ramsey in action?

Has anyone seen Ramsey in action?
    Just the FA Cup final, where he was unimpressive. He did try to get stuck in and wasn't affraid to get on the ball. Was also a massive game for a 17year old, so i wouldn't take much from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Don’t see any point in this lad moving to any of the big clubs at this stage of his career. The only reason he should move is if he will be guaranteed to be loaned out to a championship club or a lower premier ship club for at least two years.

Unless he wants to be the next Liam Miller.

Just the FA Cup final, where he was unimpressive. He did try to get stuck in and wasn't affraid to get on the ball. Was also a massive game for a 17year old, so i wouldn't take much from it.

Missed the final, big game with a lot of pressure on him. United in particular have had so many young players arrive with promise of great potential only to fade away so it is probably best if he is signed that he returns to Cardiff for a season or two.

Haha

so would i but lets be honest whats the likely hood of that happening? wenger will never sell him, and especially not to united!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Missed the final, big game with a lot of pressure on him. United in particular have had so many young players arrive with promise of great potential only to fade away so it is probably best if he is signed that he returns to Cardiff for a season or two.

they only have big potential because the fans decide this, you don't hear chelsea fans going on about the potential in their youth.
    Arsenal do have potential in their youth however.

• Advertisement

TBH i used to have faith in our youths but if I were Ramsay I wouldnt join United. frazer Campbell is the latest example.

they only have big potential because the fans decide this, you don't hear chelsea fans going on about the potential in their youth.
    Arsenal do have potential in their youth however.
    Maybe YOU don't, but i do - hear it from my dad and his mates all the time, as well as chelsea supporters on other forums I am on.

Ben Sahar and Scott Sinclair are just two examples - and the young Argentine fellow they signed last january.

Well that was quick!!

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=6610831

Manchester United is delighted to announce it has agreed terms with Cardiff City for the transfer of Aaron Ramsey subject to terms being agreed and the player passing a medical.

Get Giggs' on the phone to Aaron right away! :D

Moyes wins case against Rooney
    David Moyes has won 'substantial' damages following his libel battle with Wayne Rooney, ghost writer Hunter Davies and publishers HarperCollins.

The Everton boss was unhappy with allegations made in the former Toffees striker's autobiography 'My Story So Far'.

The England international had accused the Scotsman of a 'serious breach of trust' following newspaper reports concerning his private life in 2004.

The striker alleged that his manager had leaked private conversations to the Liverpool Echo, resulting in stories which were damaging to his public image.

The book also accused Moyes of being overbearing, controlling and ultimately responsible for Rooney turning his back on his boyhood idols when he completed a £27million transfer to Manchester United in August 2004.

Moyes has strenuously denied the allegations and is believed to have received a settlement of around £500,000.

Resolved

In a statement the Everton manager said: "I am glad that these issues have now been resolved and that my name has been fully cleared in this matter.

"Anyone who knows me well would, I hope, regard me as a man of honour and integrity. I was disappointed and wanted people to know that what had been written was completely untrue. I felt that I had no choice but to take action for a full apology and damages.

"Having accepted these, I do not intend to make any financial gain from this and shall give that to the Everton Former Players' Foundation.

"All of the above said, we have now moved on and I wish Wayne and his family all the best for the future both on the field and off it."

The case went before the High Court on Tuesday, with Moyes also seeking to prevent the offending passages from being published again in future copies of the autobiography.

Respect

It is believed to be the first time a manager has sued a former player, but Moyes' solicitor Edward Parladorio believes his client was left with little choice.

"The professional relationship between a football manager and his players, especially when they are so young, is of paramount importance and depends on a high level of trust between the two.

"The untrue suggestion in Wayne Rooney's autobiography that David Moyes had in some way abused that trust, when in such a position of responsibility, was damaging to his personal and professional reputation and to his integrity.

"David Moyes prides himself on his ability to properly look after young players and to create a safe, professional and controlled environment around them at Everton Football club.

"He always had, and retains, considerable professional respect for Wayne Rooney as a top footballer and always sought to do the best for him.

"Mr Moyes took legal action in relation to the statements in the book with some reluctance but realising he had little alternative but to ensure the truth was established and his reputation protected."

Fair play to him for donating the money he was awarded. Should teach Rooney and every other footballer to be more careful about future books.

Could have been the editors/ghost writers manipulating a young individual. Either way I dont think players should be doing books until after there career has finished.

Well that was quick!!

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=6610831

Manchester United is delighted to announce it has agreed terms with Cardiff City for the transfer of Aaron Ramsey subject to terms being agreed and the player passing a medical.

That was quick, no mention of a loan deal back to Cardiff. This is a risky move for the teenager.

well no deal has been completed yet - and it could be a case of United wanting to have a pre-season with us, and maybe touring with us before going back to Cardiff once the seaoson actually starts.

That is what I would do anyway - let him get a taste of life at OT before we loan him straight back to Cardiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Well that was quick!!

Is that not the exact same position the club was in before, but this time it's official? Ramsey still has to agree personal terms and from what's been said by his camp, there's a distinct possibility of that not happening.

That was quick, no mention of a loan deal back to Cardiff. This is a risky move for the teenager.

Ill wait till we know more before I speculate whether or not its a good move for him.

Jesus he's younger than my little brother, hopin we keep this lad and not sell him on in a few years time...

• Advertisement

An Citeog wrote: »
    Is that not the exact same position the club was in before, but this time it's official? Ramsey still has to agree personal terms and from what's been said by his camp, there's a distinct possibility of that not happening.

No, previously we just had a been lodged. Not accepted.

Now we have had a bid accepted. I would expect personal terms to be easily agreed and a medical to be a formality. The only issue is whether the kids wants to move to us. I reckon Giggs' could be the trump card here. As a patriotic welsh kid, the oppertunity of moving to the biggest club in England, and the chance to train with a welsh legend could be too good to turn down. Also, I reckon he will be loaned back for at least 6 months, and he will know that too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement