Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

Well thats the first summer signing (almost) completed and I could care less.

Plus it looks like there's competition for him.

Also, by the looks of this the deal sees him loaned back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Promising start, now all we need is Benzema, a right back and Ronaldo to stay:)

Smegball wrote: »

May as wel throw world peace in there while you're at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Well thats the first summer signing (almost) completed and I could care less.

Plus it looks like there's competition for him.

Also, by the looks of this the deal sees him loaned back...

I said before that I would be happy to see some youngish players coming in as long as other areas get looked at as well. Thos areas being defence cover for LB and CB, a right back, and striker.

I just hope this lad is loaned back or loaned somewhere as he is very young, and I think he would struggle to get near the Utd team next year outside of the Carling Cup. Another thing though has Jones been playing him regularly? I know he has appeared 20 something times but how many of those were starts/sub appearances. No point him going back and sitting on Cardiff bench either.

Also to whoever mentioned him having a pre-season with us. It would make sense for him to get used to Old Trafford and train with the squad, get to know them and even travel with them. But it would also make sense for him to spend some of the pre-season with the team he is going to play for for 6 months a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

May as wel throw world peace in there while you're at it!
    Get your priorities right Neil!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Where would Benzema play though?
    Surely if you pay £25m for a player, which is what it will cost as Lyon are
    impossible to negotiate with, he will expect to be first choice.
    As will Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo who i expect to stay.
    The only way Benzema's signing would make sense is if Ronaldo was on his way.
    Otherwise it would seem extremely expensive to me when someone like
    Gudjohnson would do a similar job but would be happier to be a squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gudjohnson wouldn't do anything remotely similar to Benzema. Gudjohnson is a creative forward player who dorps deep. Benzema is a powerhouse forward with great pace. They aren't similar at all!

Anyway - He would be my first choice starter, to play up front with Rooney. Tevez would sub in for either of them, or Ronaldo in a 433 formation.

Why bother with Gudjohnsen tbh, getting past it at this stage, we need a young forward not a over the hill Barca reject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Why bother with Gudjohnsen tbh, getting past it at this stage, we need a young forward not a over the hill Barca reject.
    I agree, but harshly put!

Trilla wrote: »
    I agree, but harshly put!

Talented player and all but the truth hurts :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tauren wrote: »
    Tevez would sub in for either of them.

The £30million sub! ;)

Tevez is too good to be a sub for anyone, i feel Utd fans may be getting a little carried away with their potential striker targets.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The £30million sub! ;)

Tevez is too good to be a sub for anyone, i feel Utd fans may be getting a little carried away with their potential striker targets.

why? Explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ye your bang on there, we have a great squad at the moment, you'd only really buy him if you needed a short term solution to a gaping hole in your team, which united dont have and therefor dont need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

why? Explain

He's hoping we are getting too carried away with our transfer targets ;)

Unearthly wrote: »
    He's hoping we are getting too carried away with our transfer targets ;)

your probably right. He's hoping we buy Vorinininininininininin and Kuyt

why? Explain

1. i "hope" you are :)
    2. You'll be making a big money purchase with Tevez.
    3. You have Manucho or watever his name is coming to ye.
    4. Wellbeck in the reserves is gonna be hoping to be 4th choice

Rooney,Tevez, Manucho, Wellbeck/Saha

I just cant see Utd spending 30 odd million or your Benzema/Eto'o/Berbatov when one of Rooney/Tevez/New Big Signing will have to be on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

1. i "hope" you are :)
    2. You'll be making a big money purchase with Tevez.
    3. You have Manucho or watever his name is coming to ye.
    4. Wellbeck in the reserves is gonna be hoping to be 4th choice

Rooney,Tevez, Manucho, Wellbeck/Saha

I just cant see Utd spending 30 odd million or your Benzema/Eto'o/Berbatov when one of Rooney/Tevez/New Big Signing will have to be on the bench.

Villa/Benzema/Huntelaar/Berbatov would all improve our team and our squad. It would increase the absolute class of our player base which would prevent over reliance on any one player and allow us to challenge more effectively on more than one or two fronts. Tevez would still play more than half the games in the season as would Rooney and the new addition. The thing is, this would make the players 100% fit for every game because they would be well rested and well motivated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Killme00 wrote: »
    Villa/Benzema/Huntelaar/Berbatov would all improve our team and our squad. It would increase the absolute class of our player base which would prevent over reliance on any one player and allow us to challenge more effectively on more than one or two fronts. Tevez would still play more than half the games in the season as would Rooney and the new addition. The thing is, this would make the players 100% fit for every game because they would be well rested and well motivated.

This is true but we have to make sure we get someone with the roght attitude. You know that Rooney and Tevez are always hungry for more game time and thus we need a striker with that same kind of passion and hunger and isn't going to throw a hissy fit if hes not playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I am reading interview where Beckam inviting Ronaldo to not leave United coz that would be mistake for him coz he is still on the beggining of his career and shouldnt risk it with moving in Madrid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I am reading interview where Beckam inviting Ronaldo to not leave United coz that would be mistake for him coz he is still on the beggining of his career and shouldnt risk it with moving in Madrid

Linkage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

kryogen wrote: »
    Linkage?

Is this not public knowledge at this stage
    http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=720894

Next time use google yourself.

And where is Ronaldos big announcement its tuesday??

OFFTOPIC: Ancelotti agrees terms with chelsea http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055305123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Quaresma wants to leave porto http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=718747
    this might interest some of ye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

kryogen wrote: »
    Linkage?

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/articles/740819.html

here's one link anyway

EDIT: in the spirt of linking...
    can anyone say karma
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=721663

so according to BBC Wales reporter on MUFC Arsenal have a bid accepted for Ramsey.

Norman Davies passed away yesterday, part of the staff at United for years. Kit man I believe.

Big Paddy praising Irish people on MUTV now also, apparently they were over here for the weekend...met Cowen and Paddy Reilly the singer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Fergie has gone on record saying their looking to buy an out and out striker which Rooney can play off. Tevez didnt start every game last year and when Saha was fit at the start of the season he did start games .

Was Saha unfit for the Final or did he just not make the bench??

What kind of player is this Ramsey lad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Fergie is being interviewed by David Frost on Sky Sports 1 right now. It will be repeated at half ten tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

that was for the legends thing id say.

on the next signing. Id love it to be Benzema. Huntellar would be good alright but Benzema would be my favourite. A more expensive buy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    that was for the legends thing id say.

on the next signing. Id love it to be Benzema. Huntellar would be good alright but Benzema would be my favourite. A more expensive buy though.

Id also love Benzema, followed by Huntellar but id be happy with Roque Santa Cruz if we could not get either.

• Advertisement

OFFTOPIC: Ancelotti agrees terms with chelsea http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055305123

who rattled your cage? and next time just dont answer my request ok, i didnt hear about it as i have a job and cant spend every waking hour on the net

Ancelotti is going nowhere also.

Quaresma wants to leave porto http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=718747
    this might interest some of ye...

and talking about old news thats pretty common knowledge

i would class Manucho as the new striker who Rooney can play off, am i wrong?

If Fergie has gone on record saying that want a new big name striker i apologise, a link will do.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

If Fergie has gone on record saying that want a new big name striker i apologise, a link will do.

cheers

He said we need experience upfront, which would rule out Benzema

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2008/05/11/sfnman111.xml

He includes Manucho in his list of strikers he has to.

article is hardly definate, i'll believe it when i see it being honest.

keeping 5 strikers happy, the 3 main ones being valued at £100 million or so???....i'll believe it when i see it.

keeping 5 strikers happy, the 3 main ones being valued at £100 million or so???....i'll believe it when i see it.

5? Manucho won't expect to be first or second choice - he'd be delighted with3rd or 4th, and Welbeck could be heading on loan next season.

It was painfully obvious last season that we missed a strong striker in our squad that would have allowed us to rest either tevez or rooney, or provide us with a different option from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The joys of being the Manchester United manager eh? Trying to keep 3 strikers potentially of that value happy, while down the M62 Rafa is trying to mull over dropping the likes of Kuyt and Voronin :o

a different option will be vital for next season as we cant expect Ronnie to chip in as many goals as he has this season obviously. I would love it if Ronney became more clinical in front of goal but am pessimistic. i wouldnt go in for a big name necessarily though, i just want a proven goalscorer, someone who will take the bread and butter chances we create on a regular basis, we need a natural, clinical, finisher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

cheers

FFS, google it

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3550171,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

but the problem with the type of player who is a clinical finisher type player is that he may not fit into our style of play

i dont think i've really got my point across properly there but to use an example, i dont think RVN would fit into this side alongside rooney or tevez

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    but the problem with the type of player who is a clinical finisher type player is that he may not fit into our style of play

i dont think i've really got my point across properly there but to use an example, i dont think RVN would fit into this side alongside rooney or tevez

The Ruud of his first two years would - of his last two years...nope.

Anyway - a striker doesn't need to be laborious to be clinical - they just need to be a good finisher. I would say a fully fit solskjaer at his best would have been able to fit in with the current team, and would have finished a lot of the one-on-one chances we spurned last season.

If we had a chance of getting Benzema, I would jump at it. Sure it may be difficult to keep himself, Rooney, Tevez and Ronnie happy, but if we want to kick on from the season gone these are the 'problems' we need to create for ourselves.

As has been previously said, it would be stupid to expect Ronaldo to score as many as he did the season gone; and if he doesn't - and Rooney and tevez don't improve we could actually be in a bit of trouble. We need someone that can provide a different option to what we have. Saha ain't going to do it and it would be stupid to rely on Manucho to do it. We need a player that Rooney and Tevez can play off, so that they can play their natural game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Fergie is being interviewed by David Frost on Sky Sports 1 right now. It will be repeated at half ten tonight.

It was an excellent interview. I advise anyone who didn't see it to tune in, it's being repeated now.

i think a big reason why ruud's 3rd and 4th years werent as successful as his 1st and 2nd is because we had a big change in our style of play and he was phased out

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    i think a big reason why ruud's 3rd and 4th years werent as successful as his 1st and 2nd is because we had a big change in our style of play and he was phased out

so nothing to do with injuries, lack of fitness and the fact he didn't get on with the Assistant Manager or Ronaldo. Also, he was short of form thanks to everything mentioned - the fact is Ruud missed a lot of sitters in has final two seasons. He needed to move on, to re-motivate himself and get himself going again.

Sure, the style of play did change, but that doesn't alter the fact he was still presented with chances we all expected him to score, but he missed a good chunk of them. That is nothing to do with style of play, that is all being down to being poor in front of goal.

A fully fit, fully sharp Ruud, the Ruud we got in his first seasons would LOVE playing in the current United side.

No offence but when u post about an article u are reading its a lot more helpful to just post it straight away. Most posters will do this, I certainly make sure to do it when I post about an article Ive just read.

I had read the article before but not everybody on this board sits on it all day with various football websites open so its easier for all of us if we just post the links we're talking about.

true. i shouldnt have said its a big reason why he was less successful but it certainly was a factor. and as much i loved him at united, i'm just not sure that even the in form rvn of '02-'04 is what this side needs(apart from guaranteed 30++ goals a season;))

i feel that a player like ruud needs to have the team based around him, creating his type of chances rather than the free flowing football we've been playing of late

personally, i think our football is a lot less free flowing then people think. We spend most games in possesion, which means we are often left trying to break teams down - we generally don't get the chance to really counter-attack teams cause we generally have nothing to counter. In the games against the teams playing for a draw we need a big strong clinical striker that we can bounce a ball into and who will compete with the centre halves - Rooney and Tevez, for all their qualities, aren't going to really trouble anyone in the air. Ronaldo is out only forward who does.

personally, i think our football is a lot less free flowing then people think. We spend most games in possesion, which means we are often left trying to break teams down - we generally don't get the chance to really counter-attack teams cause we generally have nothing to counter. In the games against the teams playing for a draw we need a big strong clinical striker that we can bounce a ball into and who will compete with the centre halves - Rooney and Tevez, for all their qualities, aren't going to really trouble anyone in the air. Ronaldo is out only forward who does.

Hmmmm I both agree and disagree.

When Scholesy AND Giggs play we suffer from a lack of pace and as such we;re not what you'd call free flowing. Othertimes we are too free flowing a la l'arse and we try to score the perfect goal but instead end up playing lovely passing football around 30 yards out. Its against the "park the bus" teams that we need a big physical centre forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Ronaldo makes up mind to join Madrid

Article from The Guardian. Seems to be increasingly true, the lack of a public committment to United in the media suggests there is serious gesturing going on in the background and I'm beginning to believe its more related to a move to Madrid now than for a new and improved contract at United.

It had better be a world-record breaking deal.

Ronaldo makes up mind to join Madrid

Article from The Guardian. Seems to be increasingly true, the lack of a public committment to United in the media suggests there is serious gesturing going on in the background and I'm beginning to believe its more related to a move to Madrid now than for a new and improved contract at United.

It had better be a world-record breaking deal.

agreed -it does look like he at least wants to be on his way.

I'd like it sorted one way or the other quickly though. If he is leaving, then get the money for him and get in some new faces. If he is staying (wants to or not) then get that confirmed and move on. It is the dragging out that is annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

agreed -it does look like he at least wants to be on his way.

I'd like it sorted one way or the other quickly though. If he is leaving, then get the money for him and get in some new faces. If he is staying (wants to or not) then get that confirmed and move on. It is the dragging out that is annoying.

Are people not tired of this yet?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement