Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

of course we are, but what can we do about it. We have to wait for Ronnie to finally say that he wants to leave before we can move towards any kind of resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Ronaldo makes up mind to join Madrid

Article from The Guardian. Seems to be increasingly true, the lack of a public committment to United in the media suggests there is serious gesturing going on in the background and I'm beginning to believe its more related to a move to Madrid now than for a new and improved contract at United.

It had better be a world-record breaking deal.

This is dismally predictable. But Utd have completely raised the ante now and it would be a humiliating step down to agree to sell now.

Unless it's absolutely ridiculous money. Which it won't be. Real will offer 35 million + Robinho + the tea lady + left over goal keepers jerseys.

120m? no way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

quad_red wrote: »
    This is dismally predictable. But Utd have completely raised the ante now and it would be a humiliating step down to agree to sell now.

Unless it's absolutely ridiculous money. Which it won't be. Real will offer 35 million + Robinho + the tea lady + left over goal keepers jerseys.

120m? no way.

All that talk about leaving him in the stands or playing for reserves is BS. He is protected by the same employee rights as everyone else in the EU. Seems he will be leaving united.

Whats more worrying is the trend that is developing. United is fast becoming a feeder club for Real Madrid.

Gegerty wrote: »
    All that talk about leaving him in the stands or playing for reserves is BS. He is protected by the same employee rights as everyone else in the EU. Seems he will be leaving united.

Don't get me wrong - I think he'll be on his way this summer. But I'm not sure how employee rights come into it? He signed an enormously lucrative contract and surely it is still within United's rights to insist he fulfils it?
    Whats more worrying is the trend that is developing. United is fast becoming a feeder club for Real Madrid.

Calm down! :p Ruud and Beckham, as has been stated before, were being shipped out anyway. They took Heinze because we refused to sell him to the Pool.

Don't get me wrong - I think he'll be on his way this summer. But I'm not sure how employee rights come into it? He signed an enormously lucrative contract and surely it is still within United's rights to insist he fulfils it?
    It doesn't matter what you have signed, every employee has the right to move whether you're a fottballer or a deli worker. I don't know how his contract works but I'd imagine there is some kind of get out clause involving ridiculous amounts of money which Real will have to put up. Otherwise its simply slave labour.

Calm down! :p Ruud and Beckham, as has been stated before, were being shipped out anyway. They took Heinze because we refused to sell him to the Pool.

True :)

It doesn't matter what you have signed, every employee has the right to move whether you're a fottballer or a deli worker. I don't know how his contract works but I'd imagine there is some kind of get out clause involving ridiculous amounts of money which Real will have to put up. Otherwise its simply slave labour.

True :)

As far as I know there is no release fee clause - and it is well documented that football contracts are treated differently, rightly or wrongly, to contracts in the 'real' world. As for SLAVE LABOUR!? Get over yourself - he's getting paid 120k per week to play football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If he goes he goes, fair enough. What I think we should do is take them to the cleaners and then lump it all back on Messi.

Tevez and Messi at Old Trafford anybody?

We don't have to sell him btw and wtf are you on about with your slave labour.

Tauren wrote: »
    As far as I know there is no release fee clause - and it is well documented that football contracts are treated differently, rightly or wrongly, to contracts in the 'real' world. As for SLAVE LABOUR!? Get over yourself - he's getting paid 120k per week to play football.

LOL. Did they put that in the legislation? Yes they are different but there are basic rights that apply no matter what contract you have signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

RasTa wrote: »
    Tevez and Messi at Old Trafford anybody?.

Drool..its a pipe dream though...wacky backy pipe dream

• Advertisement

and wtf are you on about with your slave labour.

Turning down a record breaking fee and forcing him to work somewhere against his will. I'm not talking about picking cotton or building railroads.

Slave labour my ... foot. Slaves got paid €120k now? No.

Tbh Ive voiced my opinions on the greasy one before, sell him. If he wants to turn around now, after United have stood by 2-3 years of being highly erratic, developing him, and standing by him after all the crap the media gave him about the "wink heard round the world", and leave, then good riddance.

That rumoured deal involving 50million + Ramos and Robinho sounds extra good to me.

Slave labour has nothing to do with money! But OK clearly a poor choice of words. Let me put it this way, I can't remember who said it but everyone is available at a price. If he wants to go and Real are willing to pay whatever it takes then he will be gone.

forcing him to work somewhere against his will. I'm not talking about picking cotton or building railroads.

He's not being forced. Heres a concept you should try to get your head around.HE SIGNED A CONTRACT WHERE HE COMMITTED TO PLAY FOR MANCHESTER UNITED FOR A SET PERIOD OF TIME IN RETURN FOR WAGES. To the best of my knowledge nobody was holding a gun to his head so he was free to turn around and refuse to sign it and leave when his old one ran out.
    Slavery: hard work or toil like that done by slaves; drudgery

Drudgery is defined as "menial work"

Hardly the correct description of Ronaldo's situation is it.

Slave labour has nothing to do with money! But OK clearly a poor choice of words. Let me put it this way, I can't remember who said it but everyone is available at a price. If he wants to go and Real are willing to pay whatever it takes then he will be gone.

Certainly. I agree, I want United to sell him as long as they extort Madrid, especially after the story of them laughing at United for wanting "peanuts" for Beckham.

It was Calderon who said it, he's said so much, that if in doubt...Calderon aid it.

i dont want any player at United who deosnt wabnt to be there. Its quite possible that he'll go down the Ronaldinho route after fulfilling his so called dream anyway... he seems to have that kind of ego where he will start to believe his own hype and won't work as hard. Good luck to him, hope he enjoys hangin out with Ruud again.

If he goes he goes, fair enough. What I think we should do is take them to the cleaners and then lump it all back on Messi.

Tevez and Messi at Old Trafford anybody?

We don't have to sell him btw and wtf are you on about with your slave labour.

If (when) Ronaldo does go, I will be disappointed; but my main worry is who the hell we can get to replace him. Messi is just a non-starter.

Silva from Valencia would be a top target in my view, but I can't think of another really great winger in the game that we could or should go for. Fact is we have also not been tentatively linked with anyone either as a replacement. I don't think Nani, Park or Giggs are even close to being capable of replacing Ronaldo - goals or incisive play.

It is a big worry in my opinion, as Ronaldo is the reason we won the league and CL - without his goals we wouldn't have been close in either. We will need Rooney and Tevez to step up goal-scoring wise, as well as a new player to do the same.

I was full of optimism for next season, was sure Ronaldo would be staying and that we would strengthen; but now it looks like Ronaldo will be leaving, and I can't see how we could strengthen the side after his departure - I just don't see who we could buy. we'll need to buy a couple of players to replace him - a creative midfielder and a goalscorer.

• Advertisement

HE SIGNED A CONTRACT WHERE HE COMMITTED TO PLAY FOR MANCHESTER UNITED FOR A SET PERIOD OF TIME IN RETURN FOR WAGES.

FIFA/UEFA are not allowed to contravene the European employment laws. This is where the Bosman ruling came from and its why the EU are watching the 6+5 rule closely. But FIFA/UEFA are good at finding work arounds which gives the impression that they are above the law.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0530/blatters.html?rss

Article is about the 5+6 rule but this quote is taken from it:
    Professional football players are workers, therefore the principle of non-discrimination and the right to free movement apply to them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If Ronaldo moves his career will Fail.He will turn into a bad Figo.Delighted for him.

Greedy little fcker if that story is true.He has all he needs at United.

If (when) Ronaldo does go, I will be disappointed; but my main worry is who the hell we can get to replace him. Messi is just a non-starter.

Silva from Valencia would be a top target in my view, but I can't think of another really great winger in the game that we could or should go for. Fact is we have also not been tentatively linked with anyone either as a replacement. I don't think Nani, Park or Giggs are even close to being capable of replacing Ronaldo - goals or incisive play.

It is a big worry in my opinion, as Ronaldo is the reason we won the league and CL - without his goals we wouldn't have been close in either. We will need Rooney and Tevez to step up goal-scoring wise, as well as a new player to do the same.

I was full of optimism for next season, was sure Ronaldo would be staying and that we would strengthen; but now it looks like Ronaldo will be leaving, and I can't see how we could strengthen the side after his departure - I just don't see who we could buy. we'll need to buy a couple of players to replace him - a creative midfielder and a goalscorer.

The only thing he brings extra then Messi is his heading ability which is world class imo. I think Villa is too small for us, we will need someone powerful and who can create goals, Messi is more then good enough for this. Shame he is always injured. Although we can get a goalscorer to fill the void someone in the vein of Eto, Berbatov or Benezama.

FIFA/UEFA are not allowed to contravene the European employment laws. This is where the Bosman ruling came from and its why the EU are watching the 6+5 rule closely. But FIFA/UEFA are good at finding work arounds which gives the impression that they are above the law.

Quoting EU law doesnt help your argument at all, it kills it. EU employment law does not say that you can just walk out on a contract. It states that if you sign a contract with an employer for a period of time you muist honour that contract. You are obliged to ohonour a contract that you sign unless there is a direct breach of this contract, you were of unsound mind, were forced to sign against your will or there were hidden terms that were not disclosed to you. None of these apply to Ronaldo AFAIK.

The Bosman ruling didnt state that players can just up and leave whenever they want. The Bosman ruling stated that players within one year of the end of their contract can negotiate wioth other clubs for their next contract as before that clubs were looking for transfer fees for players who were out of contract.

Granted, realistically if a player wants to move they normally move as there is little point in keeping an unhappy player, but United do not have to sell. They can stick him in the reserves if they choose to, they have the power here as he has signed the contract. If he refuses to do so, United can sue him. This is obviously bad practice and is unlikely to happen givent hat he is worth a lot of money and it may deter other players from joining but it is an option.

The right to free movement, to the best of my knowledge, I could be wrong about this, can be waived if stipulated in the contract. It must be known to both sides and be fair. It can be written in as a condition of the contract AFAIK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Can Ronaldo not buy out his contract?

was there not some rule for players under 25?

i could be wrong, probably am!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

chdpoker wrote: »
    If Ronaldo moves his career will Fail.He will turn into a bad Figo.Delighted for him.

I disagree, the Spainish league is tailored made for him. He will rip it up there.

The only thing he brings extra then Messi is his heading ability which is world class imo. I think Villa is too small for us, we will need someone powerful and who can create goals, Messi is more then good enough for this. Shame he is always injured. Although we can get a goalscorer to fill the void someone in the vein of Eto, Berbatov or Benezama.

But there is no chance we could get messi, so what is the point in that discussion? Messi would be a great replacement, and would be more fun to watch then Ronaldo, so we'd have to look at other options. I don't know who they would be though.

Killme00 wrote: »
    I disagree, the Spainish league is tailored made for him. He will rip it up there.

i think the structure at United is ideal for him, and I think the Galactico principles of Madrid, and the lifestyle will ruin him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Any chance of leaving the Ronaldo bullsh*t to one side until either Ronaldo or the club make an official statement?

Anyone watch the Fergie interview last night? Thought it was good if a little short and a lot of it was already released during the week. Just feel you could sit down for days and talk to that man about everything and anything, until you pissed him off and he refused to talk to you again:)

Haven't seen any other rumours regarding transfers today relating to Utd. Two weeks since the season has finished, only been talk about this Ramsey kid which still needs to be completed, no Evra deal yet, and Pique leaving. Dissappointing start to the summer so far, the only good news is that Arsenal, Liverpool, and Chelsea have failed to strengthen as well apart from Bosingwa to Chelsea.

Messi is just a non-starter.

Exactly! That people keep mentioning Messi as a possible replacement puzzles me. 'Let's ask Real for 120m, send Gill over to collect the cash, have him nip over to Barcelona and pick Messi up for 40m then skip back to Manchester'.
    Fact is we have also not been tentatively linked with anyone either as a replacement. I don't think Nani, Park or Giggs are even close to being capable of replacing Ronaldo - goals or incisive play.

THAT is the worry. Ronaldo should not be sold under any circumstances if we have no one to replace him. Nani - seriously, give me a break. His overall play my improve but he is not in the same league as Ronaldo. Park - give me patience. Giggs - someone remind me what age he is??
    It is a big worry in my opinion, as Ronaldo is the reason we won the league and CL - without his goals we wouldn't have been close in either.

United are not a 'one man' team. But I think it's hard to disagree with that statement. Ronaldo's contribution this season has been absolutely enormous. And it's the reason we have gotten away without a prolific clinical goal scorer. Rooney's finishing is erratic and Tevez is not a world class striker.
    We will need Rooney and Tevez to step up goal-scoring wise, as well as a new player to do the same.

Whilst being an extremely valuable addition to the squad, I don't see Tevaz as a 30 + goals a season man. And although I expect Rooney's positioning to be considerably altered next season to get him more goals, I don't think he's capable of carrying the team in terms of goals.
    ...now it looks like Ronaldo will be leaving, and I can't see how we could strengthen the side after his departure - I just don't see who we could buy. we'll need to buy a couple of players to replace him - a creative midfielder and a goalscorer.

Ronaldo electric form has allowed United to play the way they have this season. And I don't think he can be replaced per se. There is going to have to be allot of hard thinking this summer about what needs to be done in terms of player recruitment and tactics to lessen the impact of his departure.

chdpoker wrote: »
    Can Ronaldo not buy out his contract?

was there not some rule for players under 25?

i could be wrong, probably am!

There are many conditions that have to be satisfied for this to happen, Im not sure if he can yet. I remember a few years back seeing that Lampard can. Didnt see Ronaldo's name on the list back then. Maybe that has changed, I dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any word on when we'll have a statement?

also....

New No. 7... WHO?

Ramsey! No news on any other sites so far. I really did think he'd leave when Fergie did.

You dont know what you're talking about.

Fair enough you obviously do. Listen, its all speculation anyway because nobody knows what is in Ronaldos contract. But he and his agent certainly seem to be suggesting that he can go if he wants to, indicating that there is something in his contract.

People are saying he cannot move no matter what, this is not true and that is what I am arguing.

• Advertisement

Fair enough you obviously do. Listen, its all speculation anyway because nobody knows what is in Ronaldos contract. But he and his agent certainly seem to be suggesting that he can go if he wants to, indicating that there is something in his contract.

People are saying he cannot move no matter what, this is not true and that is what I am arguing.

Sorry i just finished doin exams and one of them was law so Ive spent the last few weeks slaving away learning contract law! And I equated the stuff I was learning to football so I could remember it. Lookin at the quote with that one line singled out like that its harsh, apologies.

Realistically, if he wants to go, he's gone. It would be highly unwise for United to keep a player of such high value if he wants to go. Uniteds best option would be to sell him for as much as they can. United will have to posture in the media that they wont sell unless they get what they want and then privately demand ridiculous amounts and see if Madrid bite.

Winston Bogarde is the prime example of how contracts must be honoured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

More of it here http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/12985340?view=Eircomnet
    If he is sold I hope the money(a minimum £100m at least) is spent on the transfer market and not on servicing the Glazer debt £77m a year, there could be more to it than meets the eye if the Glazer's want to cash in on their asset they will, of course I have no proof of any of this, but that debt is there and has to be paid. link: here:http://www.joinmust.org/forum/showthread.php?p=215203

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Yeah face it it, if he wants to go, he's going - simple as.

Bollocks to him anyway, we'll live without him. Little fecker though, I spent 5 long years defending him from people calling him 'a showpony who can't do it in the big games' and a 'Portuguese wanker'. I guess I was only right about one of those, because whatever happens at this stage he's acting the bollocks right now - 'making an announcement in two or three days', get away out of that for feck sake!

Yes, when I get annoyed I break into fits of Hiberno-Irish cursing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ronaldo will not be sold.

It would make me so happy if he was.

That fella has never done anything to make me happy.

Therefore, he will not be sold.

My logic is inpenetrable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

60m + Sneijder and Robben would be nice.

Would never happen though. At this stage with all this crap going on I'd like him to go. He was great, fantastic even but I just want and end to this and he could have ended it a while ago if he wished. Be prepared for a departure lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

bar another newspaper writing another story nothing has changed

Ronaldo has said nothing different
    Utd have said nothing
    last we heard Real admitted defeat

lets wait and see - personally think he will still be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I havn't seen speculation like this since Gerrard to Chelsea a couple of years ago, in fairness to Gerrard he said after they won the CL, how could I leave the club now.

IMO Ronaldo is definitely gone, there is way too much smoke blowing around not be a huge fire somewhere. Besides Madrid nearly always get their man.

United now need to milk Madrids tits for all that's in them. Never mind the reject players, 80million plus Ramos, done deal.

People who are totting Messi as a replacement must be gone giddy. The lad obviously has huge injury problems, something rips in his thighs every few months. I wouldn't swap Nani for him, it would be great to have him but the Prem is far more physical than La Liga and to have him just so he can sit beside Saha for half the season - no thanks.

Fabergas should be our big signing - he is a ready made replacement for Scholes. I think the obstacle to getting him is not that Arsenal won't sell, but the loyalty of the lad, which makes him even more of an attraction.

Huntalear and Ribery to finish the squad with the addition of Ramos, makes United formidable. We havn't replaced Ronaldo because you can't replace what he has done, but my god what a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If all the speculation is correct I should be laughing at all this, I'm not. Ronaldos behaviour is a disgrace to the notion of professional sport.

I wonder can Scholes commit a special tackle on the little gimp on the way out.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/04/manchesterunited.realmadrid

Cristiano Ronaldo appears to have made up his mind to leave Manchester United and fulfil his "dream" of joining Real Madrid. The Portugal international has informed his agent, Jorge Mendes, that he wants to play in Spain and his decision has already been outlined to Madrid, encouraging them to step up their attempts to prise him from Old Trafford.

Ronaldo is being offered a salary in the region of £150,000 a week after tax and has told his closest associates that the financial rewards, as well as the opportunity to play for a club of Madrid's prestige, are too good to turn down.

The double footballer of the year had stated on Saturday night that he would announce his decision "in two or three days" but journalists arriving at Portugal's Euro 2008 training base yesterday were informed that he would not speak to the media until Friday at the earliest. Instead, one of his associates briefed the Portuguese journalists that Ronaldo, as suspected, was hoping United would relent on their refusal to entertain the idea of negotiating a world-record transfer.

Relations between the two clubs have been severely strained and the latest developments will cause intense dismay to Sir Alex Ferguson, who has been increasingly vocal in his criticism of Madrid. There is also a growing sense of foreboding about Ronaldo's motives, specifically the manner in which he has repeatedly adapted his line in a string of media interviews.

Ferguson had wanted the player to hold a press conference, or, at the very least, put out a statement, committing himself to the club, but Ronaldo has made it clear he plans to do nothing of the kind.

Mendes is believed to be in almost daily contact with Madrid and looking at ways to soften United's resistance. Whether that is possible remains to be seen as United have threatened to report the Spanish champions to Fifa and Ferguson has said he would rather let Ronaldo rot in the reserves than sanction the deal.

Contrary to reports, Ferguson has no plans to fly to Portugal, preferring to go on holiday to France and leave the matter to his chief executive, David Gill.

At the same time, Gill will try to convince Aaron Ramsey, the 17-year-old Cardiff City midfielder, to choose United ahead of Arsenal after both clubs yesterday had £5m offers accepted.

United were the first to meet Cardiff's requirements and issued a statement describing themselves as "delighted" to have agreed the deal only for it to emerge that Arsenal had matched their offer. Liverpool had also bid £5m but Cardiff turned them down because of the way the deal was structured. "We can confirm that the club has received formal bids from three Premier League teams for Aaron Ramsey," a statement from Cardiff read. "One of these is Manchester United though at this stage we can confirm that no deal has been done.

• Advertisement

Since this obviously wont go away.

What will replace Viva Ronaldo and That Boy Ronaldo as the two most heard songs at Old Trafford next year?

EDIT: Songs to will be replaced because either Ronaldo leaves or the fans think he is a c*nt for how he has acted this summer.

Boggles wrote: »
    People who are totting Messi as a replacement must be gone giddy. The lad obviously has huge injury problems, something rips in his thighs every few months. I wouldn't swap Nani for him

Please remove the statement you've quoted me on from your sig please.

i obviously couldnt have been more wrong.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Please remove the statement you've quoted me on from your sig please.

i obviously couldnt have been more wrong.

No that's staying. :D

I honestly think Messi would not pass a medical, he is too young to be having all these injuries, there has to be something wrong with him. Agree?

i would take Messi being fit for 3 months of the season over Nani being perfectly honest.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i would take Messi being fit for 3 months of the season over Nani being perfectly honest.

But thats because you are used to your team only playing for three months of the season.:)

Plus - i'm sure his injury problems could be sorted. Messi would be a fantastic signing. The best signing we could make. But it simple won't happen. Better off dreaming about Benzema and Silva signing - they are far mor erealistic (but still unlikely)

• Advertisement

But thats because you are used to your team only playing for three months of the season.:)

too mean :(

Hahahaha

On a serious note thou, I think as football fans we will be robbed of Messi's talents unless something seriously can be done soon with his 2 pegs.

Plus - i'm sure his injury problems could be sorted. Messi would be a fantastic signing.

That's what they said about Owen, he has some air miles clocked up seeing the best specialists in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

With all the huffing and puffing from Fergie over the last couple of weeks wrt Ronaldo, can any Utd fan tell me why he has not come out and released a statement to the effect that he is going nowhere?

mike65 wrote: »
    If all the speculation is correct I should be laughing at all this, I'm not. Ronaldos behaviour is a disgrace to the notion of professional sport.

I wonder can Scholes commit a special tackle on the little gimp on the way out.

Mike.

I agree.

Im a United fan through and through and will support any player who dons our shirt so if he stays next season I dont want to see him boo'd but I would hope they dont sing about him anymore. Prat doesnt deserve it.

He pulled this crap after the world cup as well. I had unkind things to say about him back then. i forgave him because it came out that he was worried about the linch mob factor after Rooneys sending off. Now he has no excuse. He's been treated immpeccably by the fans and the club and all of his team mates who pander to his selfishness, and he rapays everyone with this sh1te? F****k him tbh.

With Barca being my second team I reckon I will despise the guy for life for this if he ends up wearing white.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement