Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Boggles wrote: »
    In fairness he did consider his future, last year when he signed a big fat lucrative 5 year contract.

Thats why clubs give players big fat lucrative 5 year contracts, they are paying massively so the players future is with them.

But Real weren't in for him last year. So much has changed this year, he's confirmed himself as the best player in the Premiership and he won the CL with United.

Real have stated that they want him now, so now he has a decision to make this summer. It is still possible that he hasnt made any direct comment on his future because he's still making up his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hes still a tosser for the way hes behaved towards United.

kryogen wrote: »
    nicely done!

i honestly dont understand why people are turning on him so quickly, the player has a right to consider his future btw, he has achieved alot of success at united, it could be possible he wants a new challenge, and maybe he needs one to continue his development?

I just wish people wouldnt be so quick to demonise someone when nothing official has been said

if he is thinking about leaving it really is better that he doesnt say anything until he mkes his mind up, i honestly think he is considering a move,and is wisely taking his time over it, its a big decision after all. but i feel he will decide to stay one more year then leave.

Either way, the lad has been immense for us and i would applaud him and wish him all the best for the future.

But i would hope some posters here would look at themselves and think before posting knee jerk statements. Try to understand all points of view in a situation and there would be less pages of boring ****e

ok, im getting down off my high horse now!
    Ive had mixed feelings about him for a long long time. Great footballer, has been great for United and ill always remember his contribution. Im also proud that united are responsible for how good he became as well as us having the worlds best player on current form. However Ive never held Ronaldo in the same esteem that I have for the likes of (keeping it confined to the current squad) Giggs, Scholes, Rooney, Tevez, Anderson, Hargreaves, and lately Rio....talenteed professionals who work hard and dont get into all the primadonna bullsh1t that Ronaldo gets into (Rio can act the muppet off the pitch with his merced crap and all that but i cant envisage him lookin smugly at the crowdd with a "look how good I am" look on his face). U wouldnt see any of those players (Anderson discluded cos he seemingly couldnt score ina brothel!:pac:) run off on their own to celebrate when a teammate has just laid on a brilliant assist the way Ronaldo does.

He sure does have a right to contemplate his future, but he hasnt handled this well at all. He;s been playing up to the media and you know it. All this "2 or 3 weeks" bullsh1t. Just shut up, consider it quietly, and then announce your decision after. Don't give the fans the runaround by fuelling speculation and frankly that prat at the helm of Real to turn United into a fecking media carnival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

If he goes I hope he is rubbish in Spain. If he stays he is my hero still :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

fickle ???

• Advertisement

fickle ???

I read a Liverpool fan get that jibe in on F365 earlier and wondered how long itdd take ya ;), then i laughed as I remembered the lads burning their Steven Gerrard jerseys outside Anfield..... Selective!! Its the nature of the beast.... he's acting the muppet and its normal that fans will turn on you when you do that. If u go back through the season I havent been blowing smoke up his @ss EVERY week around here like some posters, I have criticised him when necessary (particularly for his antics in the Nou Camp) and Im criticising his antics now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Oh who gives a f*ck if he hasn't commited to it,he can do it when he wants,he is kinda involved in some football tournament at the moment,Gill came out today and even said how he'll be on one of the pre-season trips,and SAF said the yanks won't sell him!

CAN ALL TALK ABOUT CRISTIANO RONALDO PLEASE STOP UNTIL HE MAKES AN ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT HIS FUTURE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Yeah good luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kmart6 wrote: »
    Oh who gives a f*ck if he hasn't commited to it,he can do it when he wants,he is kinda involved in some football tournament at the moment,Gill came out today and even said how he'll be on one of the pre-season trips,and SAF said the yanks won't sell him!

CAN ALL TALK ABOUT CRISTIANO RONALDO PLEASE STOP UNTIL HE MAKES AN ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT HIS FUTURE

To the second bit....no. If people wish to discuss it, they will discuss it.

To the first bit - he found enough time to to constantly give vague answers to us all. And he found time, 4 days ago, to say he would make an announcement in 2 or 3 days. He has commented on the situation, but his last few comments have suggested he wants to move on. If that is the case then he owes, yes - he OWES, the fans a straight answer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Since its the man u discussion forum and this is possibly the biggest topic happening at the mo I reckon it thoroughly deserves to be spoken about - week in, week out this thread is all about speculation. And right now there is hardly a bigger situation to be speculating about.

As Kryogen said - if he goes I'll applaud him out the door and wish him the best. If he stays , I look forward to our attempt at a premiership hat-trick and the retention of the champs league.

While no player is bigger than the club, Ronaldo has gifted us our best season in 10 years. For that I give thanks to the lad.

If he had said for the last three weeks "i'm staying, i'm staying" and then went it would be a diff story and the disgruntlement towards him would be semi-justified, so for now we'll need to be patient and let the lad make his mind up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I dont like that colour of font.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jesus what next? Eh it's me annoying so no ones allowed talk about it?

As said before, i'll say thanks and goodbye to ronnie whenever he decides to leave. His behaviour sense the end of the season leaves alot to be desired but he was largely responsible for the third most memorable season i have being a man supporter. Winning the first league was still the sweetest.

And yes he owes the supporters an honest answer. In the very near future.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

And that font is migraine induucing.

Im removing the colour from that quote cos it gives me a headache

dont u see that this is caused by him ie u getting pissed off. He could squash all this but he hasnt. Hence everyones getting pissed off. SAF and Gilkl etc can say what they like at the end of the day its what he says thatll matter. And if he says cheerio its very very inefficient for manchester United to hang onto him. So the speculation wont stop no matter how many tantrums and coloured font we have because as long as he's quiet the doubt will hang. Anyway, what else is there to talk about besides Euro 2008 or us potentially signing a player none of us had heard of 3 weeks ago. Simple, if u dont like the Ronaldo talk dont click on thsi thread cos as far as United goes he;s all that will be discussed to be honest. Unless we make a big name signing that is.

No what's pissing me off is the countless pages of rubbish here about it,look ye all know that he wasn't going to be saying anything,yet there was countless posts about it here,was never going to change anything,and all everyone was doing was re-wording what they had said before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ive had mixed feelings about him for a long long time. Great footballer, has been great for United and ill always remember his contribution. Im also proud that united are responsible for how good he became as well as us having the worlds best player on current form. However Ive never held Ronaldo in the same esteem that I have for the likes of (keeping it confined to the current squad) Giggs, Scholes, Rooney, Tevez, Anderson, Hargreaves, and lately Rio....talenteed professionals who work hard and dont get into all the primadonna bullsh1t that Ronaldo gets into (Rio can act the muppet off the pitch with his merced crap and all that but i cant envisage him lookin smugly at the crowdd with a "look how good I am" look on his face). U wouldnt see any of those players (Anderson discluded cos he seemingly couldnt score ina brothel!:pac:) run off on their own to celebrate when a teammate has just laid on a brilliant assist the way Ronaldo does.

He sure does have a right to contemplate his future, but he hasnt handled this well at all. He;s been playing up to the media and you know it. All this "2 or 3 weeks" bullsh1t. Just shut up, consider it quietly, and then announce your decision after. Don't give the fans the runaround by fuelling speculation and frankly that prat at the helm of Real to turn United into a fecking media carnival

Im not saying i disagree with alot of what you say there Neil, im just pissed off with all these fickle "fans" who were singing his praises 2 weeks ago, now calling him a twat and saying they would be glad to see the back of him.

I was just trying to let people know he is actually allowed consider leaving the club if he thinks its best for him. i think he will stay, but if he goes the world wont stop turning will it? we will get by, we always have. we will just need to seriously strengthen the squad to replace him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hi all

I'm not going to post in bold big font or underlined or anything of the sort, and Im not looking for my post to be quoted nor am i going to quote anothers post regarding this... But can people discuss what they like about Manchester United here and can we put an end to this bickering about we should/shouldnt post about Ronaldo? As in now? Yeah I'm asking for this to be last post about the bickering and and yeah I'd prefer if I didnt get quoted or get a wel said or your talking sh!te remark. Not for personal gain though. Oh no, not at all. Just for the sake of us all.

Cheers
    Trilla

Totally off topic - Im in a happy mood cas its the first time I had a kickabout (serious enough department vs department in work) in a while due to being sick, and although the fitness level was poor and I was wearing slippery runners...I scored 3 goals, contributed well to the team and we won after being 7-3 down. Hopefully I can walk in the morning!!

Hopefully Ramsey signs for us too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

+1

Tauren wrote: »
    he OWES, the fans a straight answer.

How exactly?! He has no obligation to give anybody an answer,he is still in contract with United,all the specualtion is majoritly been spun by the media,all he has said is it's a dream to play in Spain but followed it with not all dreams don't come through! Madrid have said again they can't buy a player a club doesn't want to sell!

Fair play trilla - I had my first indoor 5-a-side game 3 weeks ago since i came home from travelling. The tank was empty after the first 10 mins but I scored once. I couldn't walk for three days.

Week 2 I scored twice and was ok the next day and played about 30 good minutes.

Last week, (week 3) I scored about 11 goals and was running like a mad man.

You've blown off the cobwebs now Trilla - easy street is a comin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This is probably old news to you all but I heard this morning that United were willing to sell and asking for 5m for Fraizer C

For some reason, its just came back to me again now....why dont we sign David Villa? can anyone give me a real valid reason for why this guy would be a bad signing? he can score the poacher goals that we need as well as being a damn good player too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I've always wanted Villa, he's a brilliant stiker if you ask me, class finisher and all round general play is good aswell, get him in.
    Would rather Benzema, but it's unlikely

but why would you rather Benzema in all honesty? he looks like a fantastic prospect, but an expensive gamble! Villa wouldnt cost as much now because of his contract status and Valencias poor season, he is a proven goalscorer. it just makes perfect sense to me! Id like to see Benzema have another year at Lyon, his development will continue nicely there imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Villa would fit in very well with Man Utd. A front three of Rooney, Tevez and Villa would be frightening - all are capable of leading the line as well as playing off a forward, so there's plenty of potential for swapping around there. He's available for a reported 17 million pounds too, so definitely within Fergie's budget.

'so its agreed? we shall buy David Villa then?

ok ill make the call

*calls up Fergie and tells him he has the green light* :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Good signing is that.

Think I'll get him on the back of my shirt :cool:

How exactly?! He has no obligation to give anybody an answer,he is still in contract with United,all the specualtion is majoritly been spun by the media,all he has said is it's a dream to play in Spain but followed it with not all dreams don't come through! Madrid have said again they can't buy a player a club doesn't want to sell!

the speculation has been driven by ronaldo, as much as by the media - such as demanding that he be handed a 'present' of a real madrid team picture from a spanish journo in a portugal press conference, such as SAYING HE WOULD MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT IN TWO OR THREE DAYS. If it was as simple as him wanting to stay there would neither be a need to make a statement nor wait 3 days to do so.

Villa would fit in very well with Man Utd. A front three of Rooney, Tevez and Villa would be frightening - all are capable of leading the line as well as playing off a forward, so there's plenty of potential for swapping around there. He's available for a reported 17 million pounds too, so definitely within Fergie's budget.

They would all be freaking tiny though, neither Rooney nor Tevez are great at leading the line, and given Villa's stature, i'm not sure if he'd be up to doing that in the premiership eihter. We need something different to what we have already, not basically the same with better finishing.

• Advertisement

Tauren - let it go dude.....

Villa would be an excellent signing imo. I can't see us getting Benzema and after that our options are narrowed - not convinced Huntelaar could reproduce in the premiership. Really annoying that we missed out on Torres!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

lordgoat wrote: »
    Jesus what next? Eh it's me annoying so no ones allowed talk about it?

As said before, i'll say thanks and goodbye to ronnie whenever he decides to leave. His behaviour sense the end of the season leaves alot to be desired but he was largely responsible for the third most memorable season i have being a man supporter. Winning the first league was still the sweetest.

And yes he owes the supporters an honest answer. In the very near future.

WOW you must be boards oldest poster , Been able to remember 1907 /08 :eek:
    No what's pissing me off is the countless pages of rubbish here about it,look ye all know that he wasn't going to be saying anything,yet there was countless posts about it here,was never going to change anything,and all everyone was doing was re-wording what they had said before!

I have to agree with you , at this stage I am only checking here every now and then. I am just sick to the teeth of it all , well at least till something changes one way or the other.

Wow a poster without the R word :D
    Do not think Villa would be your worst signing , and the price is not bad for a proving goalscorer.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Signing Villa would be a mistake. We need something different than just small men up front... Sure it can work with Rooney and Tevez, but if you're 1-0 down and your only way of getting close to the goal is to cross it in for a header, then Santa Cruz would be the ideal signing.

He's a proven scorer in the Premiership last season, his position at Blackburn will be under threat now that Hughes has left for City, he has played in Europe and scored for Bayern... Definately worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    Signing Villa would be a mistake. We need something different than just small men up front... Sure it can work with Rooney and Tevez, but if you're 1-0 down and your only way of getting close to the goal is to cross it in for a header, then Santa Cruz would be the ideal signing.

He's a proven scorer in the Premiership last season, his position at Blackburn will be under threat now that Hughes has left for City, he has played in Europe and scored for Bayern... Definately worth a punt.

I agree with you about Villa. He's a more technical player than Torres but doesn't have the same pace or strength as him, which would lead me to believe that he may struggle to adapt to the Premiership.

As for Santa Cruz, there's a reason why he had such a good season with Blackburn. He's now the big fish in a small pond, rather than a rotated striker. His goalscoring record with Bayern is fairly poor tbh. He's the kind of player that needs to start every game, which he definitely wont be guaranteed at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

....and sparkey wants to bring santa to the blues, i think he would prefer that too!

Santa Cruz has played as a rotational striker for a big club before. Averaged 5 goals a season for Bayern Munich. That is rubbish for a 'top' striker. I wouldn't want United to sign him, he could simply be a one season wonder. There have been strikers who have done brilliantly in their first season, and struggled in the second because teams are better prepared to combat them. As I have said, just look at his Blackburn team mate for proof.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with you about Santa Cruz. I don't think his record for bayern - especially in the CL was spectacular and if anything he'd get less game time at united particularly if he didn't fire on all cylinders from the word go (Forlan anyone...). I think we need a big game player, if you'll excuse the cliché, but we need someone who can step up in the big games if Rooney or Tevez are misfiring. Benzema is young and has shown that he can play in the pressure matches - against us last season - and he can only get better. For me he's got to be the number 1 target.

I think Villa, while a different player to Benzema could compliment our attacking lineup. Villa works very well with another striker playing off him and he's an excellent finisher - something we're lacking at the minute (bar Ronaldo but I won't mention him again... swear :))

Then you've Huntelaar - just not sure about him. I guess Kuyt may be distorting my view here but the Dutch league seems fairly poor (Basing that purely on their showing in Europe over the last few years as I don't actually watch or follow the league) and to be the top dog over there may not hold that much credibility....

For Valencia Villa seemed to do his best work playing off a lead striker imo, such as Morientes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

sprinkles wrote: »
    Then you've Huntelaar - just not sure about him. I guess Kuyt may be distorting my view here but the Dutch league seems fairly poor (Basing that purely on their showing in Europe over the last few years as I don't actually watch or follow the league) and to be the top dog over there may not hold that much credibility....

Huh..kuyt is an anomoly

Schneider and Van der Vaart have been class to name but two

I like the look of the Hunter and i would love to see him in a UTD shirt. If we are going to buy him, i hope we do so before the Euros cause his price is going to go up.

seeminly Huntelaar is on his way to Real Madrid.

I fancy Holland to win this Tourno actually. Placed a wee bet on them today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Santa Cruz: No! Needs to prove himself for a second season. His record in Germany and the CL is poor, and I dont think one good season with a team that was set up perfectly for him changes that.

Hunter: I dont know. I haven't seen alot of him. My concern is that his name has been thrown around for years now, and I just think that if he was good enough he would be in a better league by now.

Benzema: Yes! A risk and an expensive one at that. But I think he has all the attributes for the premiership. Strength(he even held off Vida a few times), pace, trickery, and looks to be a good finisher with an explosive shot. Reminds me a little of Jimmy Flyod who I always thought was class.

Villa: I dont know. I haven't seen a lot of him so I would go with other posters who seem to be suggesting he is not the biggest and although he is a good finisher he doesn't offer us anything different.

So basically I want Benzema but I would be seriously surprised if we got him.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Huh..kuyt is an anomoly

Schneider and Van der Vaart have been class to name but two

I like the look of the Hunter and i would love to see him in a UTD shirt. If we are going to buy him, i hope we do so before the Euros cause his price is going to go up.
    That's a risk alright but we've seen flops come from the Euro's too - Poborsky.....

As I've said I haven't seen this guy play much so I can't offer a balanced opinion on him....

Edit - @alanmurphy83 - I don't think Benzema is much of a risk, less so than the other 2 options. I reckon he's proved he can hold himself against the best defence in the PL and that was playing up front on his own. Albeit that was on game but he's been outstanding in a number of games in the french league I've seen last season. I really think he's the best choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Hunter: I dont know. I haven't seen alot of him. My concern is that his name has been thrown around for years now, and I just think that if he was good enough he would be in a better league by now.

His choice to remain at Ajax. He has consistently said he wants to stay for at least another season and work under his idol Van Basten. Im sure Ajax could have sold him 10 times over. They must not need the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

If I could pick a striker, it would be Benzema. I think he would add some much needed strength to the front line. However, hasnt he already come out and said he would not move to England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

seeminly Huntelaar is on his way to Real Madrid.

damnit they are tryin to buy everyone arent they!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

For me Benzema would be my first choice without doubt i think he has it all pace power finishing and confidence,He's two footed also.
    Can't see it happening at all though.

Huntelaar would be my second choice his goal record in Holland is unbelievable i know its the dutch league and most people will argue that its a poor standard and i agree but he must be a natural finisher if he can score 130goals in 173 games since turning profesional.Compare Him to Van Nistelrooy during his time in Holland and in 162 starts Van nistelrooy only managed 92 goals.

Villa Class act again natural finisher and brilliant free kicks very technical.He's just not the right player to lead uniteds line that what we need someone to lead the line up front, more of a physical presence is needed can see villa going to Spurs or Arsenal and will probably do well for them but just not what we need at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Huntelaar would be my second choice his goal record in Holland is unbelievable i know its the dutch league and most people will argue that its a poor standard and i agree but he must be a natural finisher if he can score 130goals in 173 games since turning profesional.Compare Him to Van Nistelrooy during his time in Holland and in 162 starts Van nistelrooy only managed 92 goals.

and kezman scored 105 in 122 games

i wouldnt always go by goals scored. i wonder does he have many assists, would he contribute to united overall play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Psv paid 14million for Kezman at the time. I'd say Huntelaar was around half that when he moved from Heerenveen to Ajax. i don't actually know what his assits are like and agree that he would perhaps have to contribute more to the team than he has done at previous clubs if he did move to united.But the reason his name has been going aorund for years is because of his goal scoring.

Bye bye: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/05/manchesterunited.realmadrid?gusrc=rss&feed=sport

Manchester United must face the real possibility that Cristiano Ronaldo has played his final match for the club after the Portuguese winger publicly declared his intention to join Real Madrid at the end of the European Championship.

Speaking from Portugal's training camp in the Swiss city of Neuchatel on Wednesday, Ronaldo made a keenly awaited statement on his future. The 23-year-old stated that he wanted to leave Old Trafford to sign for the Spanish champions if they made good on their promises of world record transfer fees and wages. Spanish media reports have placed the value of a Madrid offer to United at €100m and the player's salary at £15m a year.

"I want to play for Real Madrid, but only if it is true they are eager to pay me and Manchester United what they have been saying they will," said Ronaldo in an interview with the respected Brazilian website Terra. "However, it does not depend on me."

The issue of Ronaldo's future has been the dominant feature of Portugal's European Championship training camp, overshadowing the team's preparations and seeing questions raised about the player's state of mind. Hoping to prevent inquests at national team press conferences and post-match mixed zones, Ronaldo insisted that he would not speak about his choice of club again during the tournament.

"It is important to send a message," he said. "From now on I will not talk again about this until the end of the Euros. It is not worth asking me because I will not reply."

United have repeatedly stated that they will not allow Ronaldo to move this summer, but the club may now have to improve the five-year contract they agreed with the forward in April 2007. Given the scale of Madrid's offer, the player can expect to comfortably exceed the net €10m that Michael Ballack receives from Chelsea each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Bye bye: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/05/manchesterunited.realmadrid?gusrc=rss&feed=sport

Manchester United must face the real possibility that Cristiano Ronaldo has played his final match for the club after the Portuguese winger publicly declared his intention to join Real Madrid at the end of the European Championship.

Speaking from Portugal's training camp in the Swiss city of Neuchatel on Wednesday, Ronaldo made a keenly awaited statement on his future. The 23-year-old stated that he wanted to leave Old Trafford to sign for the Spanish champions if they made good on their promises of world record transfer fees and wages. Spanish media reports have placed the value of a Madrid offer to United at €100m and the player's salary at £15m a year.

"I want to play for Real Madrid, but only if it is true they are eager to pay me and Manchester United what they have been saying they will," said Ronaldo in an interview with the respected Brazilian website Terra. "However, it does not depend on me."

The issue of Ronaldo's future has been the dominant feature of Portugal's European Championship training camp, overshadowing the team's preparations and seeing questions raised about the player's state of mind. Hoping to prevent inquests at national team press conferences and post-match mixed zones, Ronaldo insisted that he would not speak about his choice of club again during the tournament.

"It is important to send a message," he said. "From now on I will not talk again about this until the end of the Euros. It is not worth asking me because I will not reply."

United have repeatedly stated that they will not allow Ronaldo to move this summer, but the club may now have to improve the five-year contract they agreed with the forward in April 2007. Given the scale of Madrid's offer, the player can expect to comfortably exceed the net €10m that Michael Ballack receives from Chelsea each year.
    Is this true, bloody good riddance to the dispicable money grubbing """"""".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement