Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

Tauren wrote: »
    Wow, Im shocked...not. At least he got off his ass and made a statement one way or another, sell him and bring in 2-3 world class players to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I am absolutely disgusted by this truely, what sort of person is he. We are the biggest club in the world, we are European Champions, who does he think he is. I sure hope he goes for nothing less than 70 million, otherwise he should rot in the reserves un loyal "·$".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Apparently it's from some dodgy Brazil website.

It's fake

Yes I'm in hope here but f*ck it I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Wow, Im shocked...not. At least he got off his ass and made a statement one way or another, sell him and bring in 2-3 world class players to replace him.

Thats the thing, United fans should not be devestated if he did go.
    It would mean fergie has an extra £60m to spend and that one of the highest
    earners is gone from the wage bill.
    Sell Ronaldo and you could buy Villa, Benzema and Huntelaar and probably have money to spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

all i can say is :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

Ronaldo comes out and says he wants to move. I think this is becoming about the guy's ego in a way. He wants to be know as the highest paid player with the highest ever transfer fee.

Anyway not good news for Man Utd :(

I do agree with people's point that we could get 2/3 world class guys in for the transfer fee. I really would like Ramos to be included in the deal.

roar_ie wrote: »
    Ronaldo comes out and says he wants to move. I think this is becoming about the guy's ego in a way. He wants to be know as the highest paid player with the highest ever transfer fee.

Anyway not good news for Man Utd :(

I do agree with people's point that we could get 2/3 world class guys in for the transfer fee. I really would like Ramos to be included in the deal.
    ITs great news , we get rid of an ego maniac with a huge wage bill, and in turn we get to buy some quality strikers.

We dont need this horrible horrible horrible person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Tauren wrote: »
    They would all be freaking tiny though, neither Rooney nor Tevez are great at leading the line, and given Villa's stature, i'm not sure if he'd be up to doing that in the premiership eihter. We need something different to what we have already, not basically the same with better finishing.

Which is why a player like Miroslave Klose* would be perfect. I know there's sod all chance of getting him but he's the type of player Fergie should be looking at. imo.

*Excellent in the air, technically good, can lead the line, very good goalscoring record - 39 in 75 games for Germany. Between Werder Bremen and Bayern he has scored 63 goals in 116 Bundesliga games. Would be ideally suited to the premier league as an centre forward in the old-fashioned style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Cruijff wrote: »
    Is this true, bloody good riddance to the dispicable money grubbing """"""".

Whatever about his footballing reasons its a bit stupid to criticise him for wanting to earn as much money as possible. We'd all do the same in our own jobs.

Plus player loyalty is a dead concept anyway. SAF was hardly loyal to Beckham, Stam or Van Nist when he shunted them out the door. Why wasn't there such a big fuss about the club honouring the players contracts? These things should work both ways IMO.

And I am a united fan

• Advertisement

Unfortunately what you say is true but as a United fan it really hits you and p1sses you off.

Its on all the major sites now, so looks like its the truth.

I would should go buy Alves, Benzema, and Huntelaar.

Or feck it lets go for the best player in the world Lionel Messi.

Yes actually forgot, Ramos plus cash or no dice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

This is coming from a Brazilian web site:confused:

Doesn't sound all that official to me. I would doubt the integrity of this web site.

To me nothing has changed since last weekend.

EDIT: All the major sites are quoting this Brazilian web site. Surely he spoke to more than just one random reporter from Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

it is true we could sell him for a huge sum of money, and bring in some top players BUT:

1. Ronaldo was the reason for our success last season. He couldn't have done it on his own, but we couldn't have done it without him.

2. Players on his level (Kaka, Messi) are not available.

3. We don't know if we will sign players like Benzema.

4. Even if we did sign Benzema, we do not know how he would adapt.

5. Buying strikers is all well and good, but who is going to create for them? Nani, Giggs and Park are not up to the tast on the wings. What wingers could we get? No one in england is worth it, and I can't think of many abroad - Silva is the one I'd go for but....

6. There haven't even been tentative links in the press to suggest we are looking at replacement wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Don't be counting any chickens. Two weeks of speculation about his future and decides to release a statement to a Brazillian website? sounds like horse sh!t tbh. Don't be surprised if Marca are behind this.

Also, for somebody who was way and above your best player last season don't be so quick to defile him.

• Advertisement

Its on all the major sites now, so looks like its the truth.

I would should go buy Alves, Benzema, and Huntelaar.

Or feck it lets go for the best player in the world Lionel Messi.

A right back and two strikers? Why?

would be a waste of money to buy both Huntelaar AND Benzema.

I can understand why you would suggest the names individually, but we really need to be looking at getting a winger, or two, in as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ITs great news , we get rid of an ego maniac with a huge wage bill, and in turn we get to buy some quality strikers.

We dont need this horrible horrible horrible person.
    Over-reacting much? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm also waiting for something more definitive..... The only quote is from some Brazilian website, and everyone's quoting it.

Very strange

edit:

Is this the terra website?

http://en.terra.com/

I can't find the article on it..... and it looks like a tacky entertainment website, not a reputable news one :confused:

I cant even find the story on the Brazilian web site.

It also raises the issue that the top players out there are hesitant to joining United and that the top clubs abroad can attract our top players away from us. I think Benzema has said already he only wants to go to Italy or Spain and I seriously doubt if Messi or Kaka would ever join United even if their clubs agreed to sell

• Advertisement

Whatever about his footballing reasons its a bit stupid to criticise him for wanting to earn as much money as possible. We'd all do the same in our own jobs.

Plus player loyalty is a dead concept anyway. SAF was hardly loyal to Beckham, Stam or Van Nist when he shunted them out the door. Why wasn't there such a big fuss about the club honouring the players contracts? These things should work both ways IMO.

And I am a united fan

Nobody is criticising him for wanting to earn money. But there's a way to go about these things, i.e not the way Ronaldo way.

And United are already paying him 110K stg per week, add in lucrative promotional deals and he's already on his way to being a very wealthy man, so surely it shouldn't just be about more money for someone like him. He knows he will retire from the game with more money than he could ever spend, whether he plays for United or Real makes little difference in this regard.

He has fuelled the media circus and seems to be revelling in the attention. There's no doubt he has an ego the size of a mountain and he has not handled himself well in all of this.

It would be a shame to lose him but no player will ever be bigger than a club like Man Utd. Right now if Real did come in with some ridiculous offer of 60-70M you'd have to consider it. Ronaldo seems intent on playing for Real anyway so even if United hold onto him for now it's probably only delaying the inevitable.

...fingers crossed so. I still want him to stay. Regardless of how I feel about his actions, he is a fantastic player, and very important to our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I cant even find the story on the Brazilian web site.

http://esportes.terra.com.br/futebol/eurocopa/2008/interna/0,,OI2929495-EI11396,00.html

Use babel to translate.

It also raises the issue that the top players out there are hesitant to joining United and that the top clubs abroad can attract our top players away from us. I think Benzema has said already he only wants to go to Italy or Spain and I seriously doubt if Messi or Kaka would ever join United even if their clubs agreed to sell

You'd have to wonder is that partly due to Manchester not being an attractive location?. It's understandable that the lifestyle in a city like Madrid or Milan will always be more tempting, and the South American players like Kaka, Ronaldinho and Messi will nearly always favour Spain.

From Babel transalte

Yes, I would like to play in Real Madrid. This will be truth that they are made use to spend with me and Manchester United what they say. But this does not depend on me, said Cristiano Ronaldo, with exclusiveness to the Land

from google translate

"Yes, I would like to play at Real Madrid. This is true whether they are willing to spend on me and with the Manchester United what they say. But that does not depend on me," said Cristiano Ronaldo, with exclusivity to the Earth.

Tbh Id love him to stay but if he's unhappy then good riddance. I only want him to stay if he genuinely wants to be there. The supporters have been great to them, this hasnt been fair on the fans.

That said, a Brazilian website? Marca affiliate maybe? Wouldnt suprise me, this is the way Real Madrid operate dont forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ah we lasted a whole page without it :)

If the statement is true then he's a money grabbing disgrace. I have no problem with a player moving to a club for more money but word it better for f*ck sake so you don't come across as a dickhead.

That said the source is a very strange one and I'm not entirely convinced that it's true. Time will tell.

Either way United have the player on a long contract and will need to get a lot of money to let him go. The ball is firmly in Uniteds court. Madrid will have to think long and hard about how much this player can make for them.

im a bit sceptical- altho ronaldo is arrogant these "quotes" are oushin the boat out even for him! to be honest i think everyone knws ronnie isnt stayin with us for the rest of his career, but can i ask the other utd fans, is it just me or do you see rooney and tevez stayin for the considerably forseeable future?

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Nobody is criticising him for wanting to earn money. But there's a way to go about these things, i.e not the way Ronaldo way.

And United are already paying him 110K stg per week, add in lucrative promotional deals and he's already on his way to being a very wealthy man, so surely it shouldn't just be about more money for someone like him. He knows he will retire from the game with more money than he could ever spend, whether he plays for United or Real makes little difference in this regard.

He has fuelled the media circus and seems to be revelling in the attention. There's no doubt he has an ego the size of a mountain and he has not handled himself well in all of this.

It would be a shame to lose him but no player will ever be bigger than a club like Man Utd. Right now if Real did come in with some ridiculous offer of 60-70M you'd have to consider it. Ronaldo seems intent on playing for Real anyway so even if United hold onto him for now it's probably only delaying the inevitable.

I was actually arguing against calling him a money grabbing c*** for wanting to earn as much as possible but I see your point. I think the argument that 120k a week and whatever endorsements should be enough to satisfy him is a bit ridiculous though. In that case why don't Warren Buffet and Bill Gates just pack it in and go home then?

im a bit sceptical- altho ronaldo is arrogant these "quotes" are oushin the boat out even for him! to be honest i think everyone knws ronnie isnt stayin with us for the rest of his career, but can i ask the other utd fans, is it just me or do you see rooney and tevez stayin for the considerably forseeable future?

I cant see Tevez leavin anytime soon. Sure he was talking in the media about making his deal permanent...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Get him out of OT NOW.

No place for players who think they are bigger than the club.

Fair play for all he has done for us and all that but, OUT.

I dont think he should be judged until you actually see him make a statement. Instead of just reading something thats being taken from a Brazilian website that nobody has even heard of before today.

If this was to be an official statement it would have been released to more reporters, and would have either been a written statement or done infront of cameras.

At the moment there's no reason to think that either of those two are going anywhere. Rooney would only leave to play for a top continental team, he will not be sold to a premier league rival. Right now he seems happy enough where he is.

With Tevez it's hard to know. Ultimately all players are dispensable, but given their relatively short careers they're entitled to cash in while they can. There is no loyalty anymore so no use in expecting it either. The Ronaldo situation is a bit different though, he obviously has this long-held ambition to play for Real. Other than that the squad looks very settled and no reason to think any of them want to leave. In fairness why would they?

How about we sell Ronaldo and replace him with Ronaldinho? Hijack the City deal! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Coming from an outsider with a similar thing going on with Gareth Barry, I feel for yiz here. I have to say I'm very surprised at Ronaldo's comments lately. Nothing short of crazy.

Once upon a time, winning a Prem & CL double guaranteed players wanted to stay. Dont geddit :confused:

aidan24326 wrote: »
    How about we sell Ronaldo and replace him with Ronaldinho? Hijack the City deal! :D

Only if he agrees to put some miles in in the gym!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Good piece from Sid Lowe in the Guardian Blog (he's the la liga correspondent)

So, Ramón Calderón got it wrong again. Just two days ago Real Madrid's president insisted that signing Cristiano Ronaldo was "impossible." Now, it is very possible. In fact, it is surely now probable that he will move to the Spanish capital. Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlos Queiroz may have reacted furiously to Madrid's interest, dredging up Christopher Columbus, Franco and even Iberian border disputes, but retaining a player who publicly declares his desire to depart is always fraught with difficulty.

Since the Champions League final, the situation has been in Ronaldo's hands with Madrid, Manchester United and even FC Barcelona simply waiting for him to reveal his hand. First it was going to be within 24 hours, then 48, then three days. Now, at last, he has revealed what many expected him to reveal: he wants to join Real Madrid. This is exactly what Madrid were waiting for.

While this time Madrid's tactics have been less systematic than in the past - not least because Calderón is not as clever an operator as his predecessor Florentino Pérez - the process has been familiar. Speak to the player, leak to the press and force the selling club into a corner. Calderón was of course lying when he said that the transfer was impossible, his aim to take the sting out of a situation that had raced ahead of him. He knew that it was possible, so long as Ronaldo went public. Last week he told his board: "We have do our bit". So, might the Spanish press have added, "have we."

Like Calderón, Cristiano Ronaldo is lying when he says he wants to go to Madrid "if it's true that they are eager to pay me and United what they have been saying the will". He knows that they are willing to pay, for conversations between Madrid and Jorge Mendes, his agent, have already taken place, the bones of a deal laid down. Nonetheless, he was telling the truth when he insisted that what happens now: "does not depend on me." He has done his bit - speak out publicly at last - now it's back in the hands of United and Madrid.

The Spanish club will buy at almost any cost - they cannot possibly allow themselves not to get Ronaldo now and have already investigated ways of financing what is likely to be the biggest deal in history. But will United break and what will the cost be? History suggests that they may have to admit defeat and, privately, if the offer is huge - which it will be - they may not be that unhappy to sell.

On the face of it, Ronaldo is a great signing for Madrid. The things that make him unpopular in England - from seeking fouls to diving and pouting - will be applauded at Madrid, where he will be treated like the biggest star on earth. Referees will protect him far more than in the Premier League and the style of the game here will suit him too. There is a gap on the right side of Madrid's midfield or even as part of a front three. And he will give Madrid the one thing they have lacked in winning the league after the last two years: glamour. For all the failures of the galácticos project, there is still a longing for the sheer shininess of that side. Not to mention the sheer marketability of it.

But that could be part of the problem. Raúl has already expressly told Calderón and his sporting director Pedja Mijatovic not to break up the current side and there are those that think spending 90m Euros on one player is foolish, even by Calderón's comic standards. The Madrid president is still unpopular despite two successive titles, and, having missed out on presidential promises Cesc and Kaká Calderón and is desperate for a big statement. And they don't come much bigger than this. But while he will now be feeling quietly satisfied at a plan coming together perfectly, there is still a huge fight with United to come.

Savman wrote: »
    Coming from an outsider with a similar thing going on with Gareth Barry, I feel for yiz here. I have to say I'm very surprised at Ronaldo's comments lately. Nothing short of crazy.

Once upon a time, winning a Prem & CL double guaranteed players wanted to stay. Dont geddit :confused:

I think when it comes to players from cultures such as Portugal/Spain/South America they always dream of playing for the Madrids and Barcas of this world. I was hoping that might change now that the premiership is a big game player in the CL but doesn't seem like it.

Only if he agrees to put some miles in in the gym!

and lay off the doghnuts! how bout we ask barca for henry!! :D we could afford him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He is definately gone lads, I have no doubt about it. The manner he is doing it in leaves alot to be desired.

Move on I think. It makes us weak now on the right wing, what players are out there that can fill the void. I like Park and all but if he gets 40 appearances next season we are screwed.

For me Ribery.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    He is definately gone lads, I have no doubt about it. The manner he is doing it in leaves alot to be desired.

Move on I think. It makes us weak now on the right wing, what players are out there that can fill the void. I like Park and all but if he gets 40 appearances next season we are screwed.

For me Ribery.

Thought he was a lefty.

Thought he was a lefty.

Always thought he was totted as the most natural 2 footed winger out there. Could be wrong thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

from guardian
    Manchester United must face the real possibility that Cristiano Ronaldo has played his final match for the club after the Portuguese winger publicly declared his intention to join Real Madrid at the end of the European Championship.

Speaking from Portugal's training camp in the Swiss city of Neuchatel on Wednesday, Ronaldo made a keenly awaited statement on his future. The 23-year-old stated that he wanted to leave Old Trafford to sign for the Spanish champions if they made good on their promises of world record transfer fees and wages. Spanish media reports have placed the value of a Madrid offer to United at €100m and the player's salary at £15m a year.

"I want to play for Real Madrid, but only if it is true they are eager to pay me and Manchester United what they have been saying they will," said Ronaldo in an interview with the respected Brazilian website Terra. "However, it does not depend on me."

Mike.

Boggles wrote: »
    Always thought he was totted as the most natural 2 footed winger out there. Could be wrong thou.

Get Neville back playing, we'll win matches for havin the uglisest ride side in the league! Although Carragher and Kuyt would make it competitive!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

If he actually wants to go, then he should go. Don't even bother with one more season. If the exhoborant fee's that Madrid are offering are real (pardon the pun:) ) Then Utd should take it. It means they have a player who wishes he was somewhere else, and a deal on the table that would really boost the coffers. Use the cash to get 1 or 2 top players. Benzema, Kaka, Messi even ronaldiho if he cops onto himself etc etc. If the story is true, then its a shame, but life goes on. There's little loyalty in football these days, from players or clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

just watching SSN there and their reporter is saying that the the brazilian reporters in Switzerland havent seen the guy who wrote the article on terra and that he isnt in Switzerland

• Advertisement

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    just watching SSN there and their reporter is saying that the the brazilian reporters in Switzerland havent seen the guy who wrote the article on terra and that he isnt in Switzerland

Ferguson has him! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

The only real reason I can think he wants to go is so he can have his name in the record books because of that transfer...

'I'm the best player in the world and I'm worth 100m'

(I'm normally a ronaldo fan btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Just watching Sky Sports News...

The guy who is IN SWITZERLAND NOW said that the reporter who wrote that story is not even there and hasnt had an interview with Ronaldo. He said Ronaldo hasnt done an interview in 3 days.

Its bull****.

But i think its ****ing hilarious to see the same guys who sang his name 3 weeks ago call him a money grabbing dick.

I still think he will stay lol. And so what if he does leave? Calm down boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Isn't Ronaldo still due to make his statement tomorrow? Or is this his official statement? Doubt it is.

Feeling smug that i called it straight away :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement