Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

jameshayes wrote: »
    The only real reason I can think he wants to go is so he can have his name in the record books because of that transfer...

'I'm the best player in the world and I'm worth 100m'

(I'm normally a ronaldo fan btw)

Isn't his new bird Spanish?

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    And so what if he does leave?

Well....I can think of at least 42 reasons! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Tbh Ronaldo can **** off at this stage, and I think it's pretty clear that he will. I'm massively disappointed, but if he doesn't want to be here after everything the club has done for him, then I don't want him here either. [/sulk]

I guess, despite being 'the best league in the world', Premiership teams still can't quite make themselves home to the very best players in the world. For the likes of Ronaldo (and Henry when he was being talked up as one of the best, and even Drogba who's never really been settled at Chelsea), the allure of Spain and Italy is still too much. Of the three best players in the world right now, Ronaldo has most to be satisfied with, but Kaka and Messi are the two who look settled. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Unearthly wrote: »
    Feeling smug that i called it straight away :pac:

called what?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

If Ronaldo wants to go i think he should be sold. No player will ever be bigger than the club. United won trophies before Ronaldo arrived and will win trophies after he's gone.The thing is, No matter what Calderon or Ronaldo says the ball is in United's court.
    Ronaldo still has 4 years left on a contract so its gonna cost Madrid SERIOUS MONEY to prise Ronaldo away. ( Hopefully about £100M and half their first team squad:D)
    The thing that doesn't make sense is why did he sign a 5 year deal if he wanted to go to Madrid?
    Why would he want to go to a team with Ruud Van Nistelrooy in it. Apparently they HATE each other.
    I don't care what anyone says leaving United for any other team is a step down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

called what?

That it was a dodgy brazil website and didn't add up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

An Irish boy who completed his Leaving Certificate English today has said that he expects Leonel Messi to sign for Hull within the next two weeks.

Its breaking news on SSN now.:rolleyes:

**** sake lads, at least wait for a reliable source before you rip our 42 goal machine's head off.

Im not saying he is going to stay. But he also said "I want to stay."

Either way, whatever happens, Viva Ronaldooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I smell poo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

An Irish boy who completed his Leaving Certificate English today has said that he expects Leonel Messi to sign for Hull within the next two weeks.

Its breaking news on SSN now.:rolleyes:

**** sake lads, at least wait for a reliable source before you rip our 42 goal machine's head off.

Im not saying he is going to stay. But he also said "I want to stay."

Either way, whatever happens, Viva Ronaldooo.

I agree Mike, but as I have said earlier a simple 30 second statement on camera to the worlds media would settle this, and stop all the "It is distracting from my international duty" BS that has come out of the Portugal camp over the last few days.

He's way out of order in the way he has handled this.

Your right, he should come out and tell us.

Here is another thing:
    Had 1 person ever heardof that Brazilian site before? No. So this guys might just have made his site REALLY famous by faking an Interview. Lol its good business i must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Cruijff wrote: »
    ITs great news , we get rid of an ego maniac with a huge wage bill, and in turn we get to buy some quality strikers.

We dont need this horrible horrible horrible person.

jesus, you make it sound like ye are better off without him in your team.

40 goals a season arent easy to replace

event wrote: »
    jesus, you make it sound like ye are better off without him in your team.

40 goals a season arent easy to replace

It seems some people forget things very quickly. If Ronaldo goes he has been bloody fantastic for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

also apparently ronaldo hasnt spoken to any journalists today, accdoring the portuguese press officer

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

It seems some people forget things very quickly. If Ronaldo goes he has been bloody fantastic for us.
    Exactly! Well said. I am having this very same argument with a friend of mine as we speak. The kid has been with us 5 years, and over the past 2 years he has been massively instrumental in us winning 2 Premierships and a Champions League. This year, top scorer in both the Premiership and Champions League. Scoring crucial goals time and again. 42 goals this season for God sake.

Playing for Madrid has been his dream forever, so I can understand it. Some people say he is being disloyal to us, I'm not so sure. At the end of the day, he has been with us 5 years, which is say, a third of a professional career. During that time, as I said, he has helped us win some big trophies. He cost us 12 million, and will go, for say 70 (God knows what the final figure will be, I'm just using that as it's the one most often bandied around).

I say fair play to him. He has done his best for us consistently, and if he wants to follow his dream, go for it kid, and thanks for everything.

Exactly! Well said. I am having this very same argument with a friend of mine as we speak. The kid has been with us 5 years, and over the past 2 years he has been massively instrumental in us winning 2 Premierships and a Champions League. This year, top scorer in both the Premiership and Champions League. Scoring crucial goals time and again. 42 goals this season for God sake.

Playing for Madrid has been his dream forever, so I can understand it. Some people say he is being disloyal to us, I'm not so sure. At the end of the day, he has been with us 5 years, which is say, a third of a professional career. During that time, as I said, he has helped us win some big trophies. He cost us 12 million, and will go, for say 70 (God knows what the final figure will be, I'm just using that as it's the one most often bandied around).

I say fair play to him. He has done his best for us consistently, and if he wants to follow his dream, go for it kid, and thanks for everything.

He's not a kid. He's 23.

Secondly, if he wants to go, fine. You will find its how he's handled it that has annoyed fans.

Also, do you think he'd be as good as he is now if he hadnt joined United?

Dont you think a 23 year old player who has been forged into the worlds best by a team of coaches owes some degree of loyalty to those people? Disregard his first 3 years where we were all patient with all of his diving and his bullsh1t and thats 2 years he's given us back. Ah yea, go for it son, here Madrid, we'll bend over for u, sure take Rooney too, and we'll pay you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Skysports wrote:
    Ronaldo breaks silence
    Man United winger admits he desires Real move

Ronaldo: Real desire

Cristiano Ronaldo has broken his silence over his future by reportedly declaring a desire to move to Real Madrid.

The transfer story of the summer gathers pace by the day but prior to speaking to Brazilian website Terra, little of note had been offered by the Manchester United winger.

Sir Alex Ferguson and United's owners, the Glazer family, are united in their stance that Ronaldo will not be allowed to quit Old Trafford but their resolve to keep him will now be further tested by the player's latest declaration.

Speaking from Portugal's training base in the Swiss city of Neuchatel, Ronaldo admitted, according to Terra, that a move to the Spanish capital appealed.

"I want to play for Real Madrid, but only if it is true they are eager to pay me and Manchester United what they have been saying they will," said Ronaldo.

Message received

"However, it does not depend on me. It is important to send a message.

"From now on I will not talk again about this until the end of the Euros. It is not worth asking me because I will not reply."

On Wednesday, Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon said he would not risk ruining his club's relationship with Manchester United by bidding for a player under contract.

However, now Ronaldo has signalled his intent for a future in Spain, it could be Madrid that make the next move

This seems like crap. Look the lad seems like he wants more money. Bet if he is offered the 150k a week as reported awhile back then he would take it at united. From those quotes he seems open to a madrid offer which we all knew. This story is gone out of all proportion. if he wants to go to madrid and the only way he'll go is if we get a lot of money for him. He doesnt want to leave man utd as much as the press make out, he never said once ever said he wanted to leave. That wont change at least not till next season.

I wish the press would just drop it already. Slow news on the transfer front cause of the euros.

EDIT: he likes people talking about him, the fame the fortune. Well this is doing it. There's no games now and it'll be dropped till after the euros.

It also interesting that the dont quote the question he was asked.

If the question he was asked was.

"If Real and Man Utd came to an agreement and you were offfered the oppourtunity to play for Real would you go?" and he answered "Yes, I would like to play at Real Madrid. This is true whether they are willing to spend on me and with the Manchester United what they say. But that does not depend on me". That would be a perfectly good answer.

Its very different to answering "Where is your future? Do you wish to leave Man United?" the same way.

Its all about context and this article has none of it.

He's not a kid. He's 23.

Secondly, if he wants to go, fine. You will find its how he's handled it that has annoyed fans.

Also, do you thionk he'd be as good as he is now if he hadnt joined United? Dont you think a 23 year old player who has been forged into the worlds best by a team of coaches owes some degree of loyalty to those people? Disregard his first 3 years where we were all patient with all of his diving and his bullsh1t and thats 2 years he's given us back. Ah yea, go for it son, here Madrid, we'll bend over for u, sure take Rooney too, and we'll pay you.
    Oh, he's not a kid. Be pedantic. How sad. I know he's not a kid. I apologise. Ok, young man. Grand, that better?

Ok. Do you work? So, you come out of college, join a place and they improve you. Send you on course, you learn on the job, you work there for 5 years, then you move on. Do they hold a grudge? No they don't. They probably have a collection for you, bring you on a going away night out, and in a lot of cases say "Thanks for everything, there's always a job here for you if you want it."

People are blinded by a love for our club. I have it as much as anyone. I am obsessed with United. But the fact is, playing for United wasn't Ronaldo's obsession. His, growing up, was to wear the white of Madrid. He has worked his ar$e off, and yes, United have helped him. But read anything, watch any documentary on the boy...sorry, young man, and you'll see that apparently he stays behind every day after training working by himself, because his goal has always been to be the best. And he's getting there.

He has given us 5 years. Yeah, he did a lot of diving etc in his first few years. He also opened the scoring in an FA Cup Final (Millwall) and was best player on the park in another (Arsenal) though the English obsessed press gave it to Rooney.

I think saying he has been disloyal and handled it badly is being unfair. He wants to chase his dream. He hasn't really done anything wrong has he? So he hasn't come out and said he wants to stay. If he doesn't want to stay, why would he say it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well SSN are trying to contact the journalist who (allegedly) held the interview, so maybe that'll sort it out......

• Advertisement

until i see him on camera say he wants to leave or I hear from manutd.com or somewhere that we have accepted a substantial bid for him then he's a united player next season. 4 years on his contract. If we were to sell him it will be next summer because the following season he will be able to buy out the remainder of his contract.

Real have gone completely quite on the situation, done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

United are interested in Santa Cruz according to the player himself:
    Sky Sports wrote:
    Santa Cruz told La Nacion: "The interest from Manchester United is real but I'm busy now so my representatives will handle anything if there is a concrete offer."

link

sprinkles wrote: »
    United are interested in Santa Cruz according to the player himself:

link

ya gonna be mixed reactions on here. Hopefully he's not the only striker we interested in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

haha the SSN interview with the reporter bloke who broke the news was absolute balls!!!! he didn't even speak to ronaldo today!

Oh, he's not a kid. Be pedantic. How sad. I know he's not a kid. I apologise. Ok, young man. Grand, that better?

Ok. Do you work? So, you come out of college, join a place and they improve you. Send you on course, you learn on the job, you work there for 5 years, then you move on. Do they hold a grudge? No they don't. They probably have a collection for you, bring you on a going away night out, and in a lot of cases say "Thanks for everything, there's always a job here for you if you want it."

People are blinded by a love for our club. I have it as much as anyone. I am obsessed with United. But the fact is, playing for United wasn't Ronaldo's obsession. His, growing up, was to wear the white of Madrid. He has worked his ar$e off, and yes, United have helped him. But read anything, watch any documentary on the boy...sorry, young man, and you'll see that apparently he stays behind every day after training working by himself, because his goal has always been to be the best. And he's getting there.

He has given us 5 years. Yeah, he did a lot of diving etc in his first few years. He also opened the scoring in an FA Cup Final (Millwall) and was best player on the park in another (Arsenal) though the English obsessed press gave it to Rooney.

I think saying he has been disloyal and handled it badly is being unfair. He wants to chase his dream. He hasn't really done anything wrong has he? So he hasn't come out and said he wants to stay. If he doesn't want to stay, why would he say it?

If its sad then dont engage. He's not a kid, it looks stupid anyone calling him a kid, same way I hate the way Fergie says "the boy" when talkin about men in their twenties, its stupid. Thats immaterial and was more of a throwaway point, but sure if its sad and pedantic then surely all of your "kid, sorry, young man" lines that u threw in there are also sad and pedantic? By your own logic they are. Well done.

Anyway, I do work. I look at it like this. Keeping to your exams and work analogy, here goes:

You go to a big firm, when you are clearly underqualified, talented for sure but RAW, but they take a chance on you. You probably are more deserving of a smaller firm cos u hadnt got the qualifications. But they see a lot of potential in you so they take you on when others wouldnt. (Houllier didnt want to fork out on him and the fee was less than what United paid for him)And then when u start work they show faith in you when everyone else thinks its time to jack it in and get rid of you (his first 3 years) They say you're too inconsistent, your punctuality sucks, and u fail as many exams as you pass (he was an awful glory monger, too much showponying, moaning, playing for himself, as well as his slight physical frame and tendancy to fall over at the slightest hint of a breeze...) Now your job keep the faith when people think they should offoad you. They give you added responsibility when people think they shouldnt (We allowed him (and still do) to rifle free kicks out of the stadium so he can fine tune his techniqque when we could have allowed other players who may hit the targer more often to take them.
    Telling him to play for the team, giving him a program to make him physically stronger) Suddenly it all falls into place and you start performing. You are the golden boy. everyone rants and raves about how great you are. But you cant forget why you;re so great, because your company didnt lose faith. had they have lost faith you may well be just another guy. They keep rewarding you with improved contracts based on your performance and your work environment is perfect, your friends are there and they go out of their way to make you happy because they know you are an egomaniac who thrives on attention..........yea I think u owe it to them to stay a little longer. He' been there 5 years. 3 of those were seriously frustrating with hints of brilliance. 2 have been spectacular. Thats 40% of his time he;s given back thats been worthwhile. We gave him 3 years great coaching he could at least give 3-4 back. But sure he wants to go let him go. But I dont wish his club success. I wish United success. No man is bigger than the club.

Quoting the odd game here and there is all well and good but he was as frustrating as he was glorious ion that period, and you know it. Rooney was just as good in the FA Cup Final by the way, dont take that away from him.

As for how he handles it, well if you think he handled it well then you are a minority. All you have to do is read this or any other forum and see how upset the majority of United fans are with him about the way he went about it. He should have said "I want to go" or said nothing so that he wasnt fanning the flames. Instead he kept giving vague hints. You know it and I know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

bryanjf wrote: »
    haha the SSN interview with the reporter bloke who broke the news was absolute balls!!!! he didn't even speak to ronaldo today!

I like how they have taken down the ticker and now talking about cricket after the interview :D

Unearthly wrote: »
    I like how they have taken down the ticker and now talking about cricket after the interview :D

Pity its still on their web site.

Yeah SSN are trying to contact the journo now. I bet we'll see by the end of the night.

"This just in! A reply from Brazil! He says:

Dear Sky Sports, You are noobs. My website isnt even real. I just owned you guys. LOL."

THERE YOU HAVE IT! RONALDO IS GOING TO MADRID!!!"

If its sad then dont engage. He's not a kid, it looks stupid anyone calling him a kid, same way I hate the way Fergie says "the boy" when talkin about men in their twenties, its stupid. Thats immaterial and was more of a throwaway point, but sure if its sad and pedantic then surely all of your "kid, sorry, young man" lines that u threw in there are also sad and pedantic? By your own logic they are. Well done.

Anyway, I do work. I look at it like this. Keeping to your exams and work analogy, here goes:

You go to a big firm, when you are clearly underqualified, talented for sure but RAW, but they take a chance on you. You probably are more deserving of a smaller firm cos u hadnt got the qualifications. But they see a lot of potential in you so they take you on when others wouldnt. (Houllier didnt want to fork out on him and the fee was less than what United paid for him)And then when u start work they show faith in you when everyone else thinks its time to jack it in and get rid of you (his first 3 years) They say you're too inconsistent, your punctuality sucks, and u fail as many exams as you pass (he was an awful glory monger, too much showponying, moaning, playing for himself, as well as his slight physical frame and tendancy to fall over at the slightest hint of a breeze...) Now your job keep the faith when people think they should offoad you. They give you added responsibility when people think they shouldnt (We allowed him (and still do) to rifle free kicks out of the stadium so he can fine tune his techniqque when we could have allowed other players who may hit the targer more often to take them.
    Telling him to play for the team, giving him a program to make him physically stronger) Suddenly it all falls into place and you start performing. You are the golden boy. everyone rants and raves about how great you are. But you cant forget why you;re so great, because your company didnt lose faith. had they have lost faith you may well be just another guy. They keep rewarding you with improved contracts based on your performance and your work environment is perfect, your friends are there and they go out of their way to make you happy because they know you are an egomaniac who thrives on attention..........yea I think u owe it to them to stay a little longer. He' been there 5 years. 3 of those were seriously frustrating with hints of brilliance. 2 have been spectacular. Thats 40% of his time he;s given back thats been worthwhile. We gave him 3 years great coaching he could at least give 3-4 back. But sure he wants to go let him go. But I dont wish his club success. I wish United success. No man is bigger than the club.

Quoting the odd game here and there is all well and good but he was as frustrating as he was glorious ion that period, and you know it. Rooney was just as good in the FA Cup Final by the way, dont take that away from him.

As for how he handles it, well if you think he handled it well then you are a minority. All you have to do is read this or any other forum and see how upset the majority of United fans are with him about the way he went about it. He should have said "I want to go" or said nothing so that he wasnt fanning the flames. Instead he kept giving vague hints. You know it and I know it.
    Interesting analogy using exams, I guess one could look at it that way yes. Having failed as many exams as you pass etc...do you end up earning more for the company than they paid you? I think not. Bear in mind he cost us 12 mill, even had we been paying him 10 mill a season, if he goes for the reported 70 mill, we'll still have made a profit on him alone, without taking into account the substantial amount of revenue due to merchandising and prize money.

Yes, it is all well and good pointing out the odd game here and there. But I'm just pointing out that he did show up on big occasions. Yes, he wasn't always brilliant - has any young player ever been? Giggs? Scholes? Beckham? Were they all brilliant each and every time? It was a few years before Scholes even became a natural selection, a lot of the time he had to vie with Nicky Butt.

Why would you not wish the man success if he moves on? I would have no problem seeing him have success with Madrid in Spain. Obviously I'd rather him not have success in Europe as I'd rather that went to United. But what's hte point in wishing ill fortune on someone? Does it bring him back to United? No. Why not just remember the good times, all the great things he did for us?

So, because a lot of people say he handled it badly, does that make them right? A lot of people like Coldplay. Does that mean I should? Maybe I am in the minority, but you know what, I for one will happily remember Ronaldo for everything he did for our club. As you said, no man is bigger than the club. So I for one will wish him the best, and cherish the good memories, like being in Moscow when he scored his final goal for the club (as looks likely).

In my eyes, he has given us 5 years, won some major trophies, scored a great amount of goals, been our best player for the past two seasons, and will go earning us a profit.

I'm not exactly sure how much loyalty people think is due from someone.

Interesting analogy using exams, I guess one could look at it that way yes. Having failed as many exams as you pass etc...do you end up earning more for the company than they paid you? I think not. Bear in mind he cost us 12 mill, even had we been paying him 10 mill a season, if he goes for the reported 70 mill, we'll still have made a profit on him alone, without taking into account the substantial amount of revenue due to merchandising and prize money.

Yes, it is all well and good pointing out the odd game here and there. But I'm just pointing out that he did show up on big occasions. Yes, he wasn't always brilliant - has any young player ever been? Giggs? Scholes? Beckham? Were they all brilliant each and every time? It was a few years before Scholes even became a natural selection, a lot of the time he had to vie with Nicky Butt.

Why would you not wish the man success if he moves on? I would have no problem seeing him have success with Madrid in Spain. Obviously I'd rather him not have success in Europe as I'd rather that went to United. But what's hte point in wishing ill fortune on someone? Does it bring him back to United? No. Why not just remember the good times, all the great things he did for us?

So, because a lot of people say he handled it badly, does that make them right? A lot of people like Coldplay. Does that mean I should? Maybe I am in the minority, but you know what, I for one will happily remember Ronaldo for everything he did for our club. As you said, no man is bigger than the club. So I for one will wish him the best, and cherish the good memories, like being in Moscow when he scored his final goal for the club (as looks likely).

In my eyes, he has given us 5 years, won some major trophies, scored a great amount of goals, been our best player for the past two seasons, and will go earning us a profit.

I'm not exactly sure how much loyalty people think is due from someone.

Look its likely that we will have to agree to disagree but I feel that a club who puts 3 years development into you should at the very very least get 3 years back.

The Scholes and Beckham cmparison is moot because they didnt try to feck off on us straight after 99 did they?

I wont in any way wish him success because Im also a Barca fan and I despise everything about Madrid. Thats a separate issue though.

I dont really see how music being about taste helps this discussion? he has alienated a lot of fans. Some choose to love him anyway but the best way to handle a transfer away from a club where the fans have been loyal to you is to be upfront and not give them the runaround.

He's been great. I hate to see him go because I think he has capacity to get better, and i dont think he'll maximise that potential wearing white. I also dont think he;ll be as effective when he doesnt have the likes of Tevez/Rooney etc breaking their backs working for him.

• Advertisement

Look its likely that we will have to agree to disagree but I feel that a club who puts 3 years development into you should at the very very least get 3 years back.

The Scholes and Beckham cmparison is moot because they didnt try to feck off on us straight after 99 did they?

I wont in any way wish him success because Im also a Barca fan and I despise everything about Madrid. Thats a separate issue though.

I dont really see how music being about taste helps this discussion? he has alienated a lot of fans. Some choose to love him anyway but the best way to handle a transfer away from a club where the fans have been loyal to you is to be upfront and not give them the runaround.

He's been great. I hate to see him go because I think he has capacity to get better, and i dont think he'll maximise that potential wearing white. I also dont think he;ll be as effective when he doesnt have the likes of Tevez/Rooney etc breaking their backs working for him.
    You're right with the agree to disagree thing I'd say! About the 3 years, yeah, I can see your point there. I just think to be fair to him, he has brought us so much success in his 2 years post development, as you put it, that I think he has done enough.

Scholes/Beckham comparison isn't moot. I just used those names as they came quickly to head. I just was saying, what young player doesn't show inconsistency? None. I know they didn't try to feck off, but again, it goes down to where they're brought up. Local lads...they never dreamed of playing for Madrid. If Madrid is his dream, why begrudge him, would be my thoughts, having seen what he has done for us.

Fair enough about the Barca thing, didn't realise you had that going on. Was the semi a conflict of interests?

Music tastes...it was just an analogy. Same way working thing was. What I was using that for was just against your point that I'm in the minority. Just because I'm in the minority doesn't mean I'm wrong. A lot of people like Coldplay for instance. I wouldn't? are they wrong? Nope.

I don't necessarily think Ronaldo has given us the runaround, he hasn't said anything. I think giving us the runaround would be had he been chopping and changing his mind the whole time.

I completely agree with your final point, gutted to see him go, think there is a lot more to come. I think he might do it there to be honest...depends if they get a bit of stability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Sorry to see Ron go (if he goes) but the huge amount of money they'll pay for him will give SAF so much clout in the transfer market over summer, he can replace him with whoever he likes. Good luck to him if he moves on, he owes United nothing. Besides, it's not good to rely on one player so much like we did this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Sorry to see Ron go (if he goes) but the huge amount of money they'll pay for him will give SAF so much clout in the transfer market over summer, he can replace him with whoever he likes.

Problem with that is every club in the world is going to know that they'll have a huge amount of money available so they're just going to add a few million onto any base price they had for a player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

There's nobody we have a chance of signing that could replace him though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

kmart6 wrote: »
    Problem with that is every club in the world is going to know that they'll have a huge amount of money available so they're just going to add a few million onto any base price they had for a player!

When he does go, who do you want to see come in and replace him? I have seeing Ricardo Quaresma name mentioned a few times, but i dont think he would suit manutd and also he is known to be a trouble maker.

I personally think we should make a double swoop for Bentley and Roque Santa Cruz, 26million should do, even Blackburn would struggle to turn down a offer like that.

Don't know who I'd like to see tbh,think I'd need to get over the shock of it all first:D

Bentley and Cruz would be good for 26m! But with them losing their manager they might not wanna lose 2 star players!

Don't know who I'd like to see tbh,think I'd need to get over the shick of it all first:D

Its getting annoying for every United fan out there weather they liked him or not before come the start of season will see. I was of the opinion that i wanted him to stay, he's under contract so if anything he should have just said he was under contact at United and staying but one day would like to play in spain, i also think who ever is advising him should be sacked, he's hanging himself out to be slaughtered by manutd fans next season. If he's still here in january the speculation will be back and continue, its quite clear that he has being tapped up, but weather Real did that or his agent made them aware is another thing. Real are very clever using the press, but they do print cr*p.

When he does go, who do you want to see come in and replace him? I have seeing Ricardo Quaresma name mentioned a few times, but i dont think he would suit manutd and also he is known to be a trouble maker.

I personally think we should make a double swoop for Bentley and Roque Santa Cruz, 26million should do, even Blackburn would struggle to turn down a offer like that.
    Not bad really... Forgot about Bentley. He's a fantastic player and I'd love to get him.

Its getting annoying for every United fan out there weather they liked him or not before come the start of season will see.

Well I'll still like him no matter,still a brilliant footballer!
    DaveMcG wrote:
    Forgot about Bentley. He's a fantastic player and I'd love to get him

He may cut his hair though:p

He may cut his hair though:p
    Jayzus, that's pox :p I know Carlito has his fair share of bad hair days, but surely we're trying to rid the club of this kind of sh*te!

• Advertisement

I dont think many would argue against that, if he stays then great but i would only be really happy if he signed a new contract before the start of the season, otherwise this will continue next january.

Bentley would be a great replacement, ok he wont score anywhere near the amount of goals Ronaldo has but he will create and also if we sign another striker i dont think we'd miss him to much, no doubt he will be back in england in a few years if he does decide to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I dont think many would argue against that, if he stays then great but i would only be really happy if he signed a new contract before the start of the season, otherwise this will continue next january.

Bentley would be a great replacement, ok he wont score anywhere near the amount of goals Ronaldo has but he will create and also if we sign another striker i dont think we'd miss him to much, no doubt he will be back in england in a few years if he does decide to leave.

If he does stay this summer, it wont be until next summer that this all really kicks off again. There's no point in signing a cup-tied player in January.

As for Bentley and Santa Cruz, we should be aiming a hell of a lot higher imo. Both are very good players in a mid-table side but I don't see either (especially not Santa Cruz) as being cut out for a side with Premiership and Champions League aspirations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just to confuse things more:

http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=789547&idCanal=1252

"The drama appears to be ending. Ronaldo's mother admitted that his son will remain playing for Manchester United. "He is happy where he is. It is certain he will remain in Manchester", explained Dolores Aveiro, in a declaration that should signal the end of a long speculation period. This means his 'relationship' with Real Madrid will not turn into a 'marriage', at least not immediately."
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

adox wrote: »

"The drama appears to be ending. Ronaldo's mother admitted that his son will remain playing for Manchester United. "He is happy where he is. It is certain he will remain in Manchester", explained Dolores Aveiro, in a declaration that should signal the end of a long speculation period. This means his 'relationship' with Real Madrid will not turn into a 'marriage', at least not immediately."

That is confusing! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

its not confusing in the slightest unless you allow yourself to be confused tbh. just stop listening to the media until you see Ronaldo on camera in a Madrid shirt.

He isnt going anywhere has always been my stance and will continue to be until i see him signing a contract with Madrid

adox wrote: »

LOL, bloody hell

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Who cares?! If he stays we will have a very good player and very important to the team... If he goes we can get 5 world class players with the money we get for him.

To be honest I can't see how he'll get any better...

PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    Who cares?! If he stays we will have a very good player and very important to the team... If he goes we can get 5 world class players with the money we get for him.

To be honest I can't see how he'll get any better...

I'm not so sure the money we will get for him will translate straight into the transfer kitty.

It would more like we will get money to get a new winger plus the couple of players Ferguson has already in mind with his original transfer money.

You can't replace one player with 3 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I think you've the right view Kryogen. Nothing is proven. It's all speculation, fuelled in part by his lordship for not coming out and denying/confirming the allegations. In any case United are going to come out winners here. They have Ronaldo tied into a lengthy contract. If Real want him let them pay for him. And United should charge more for the way Real have conducted themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Ronaldo has banned Ferguson from visiting him in Portugal seemingly, according to the Times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement