Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ronaldo has banned Ferguson from visiting him in Portugal seemingly, according to the Times.

but think about that, does it actually seem realistic to you? If anybody has banned outsiders from the team preparations its Scolari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Here's a link for it anyway; Times

Interesting, though theres no quotes there to back it up.

Funny you mention Scolari, that article mentions it;
    Ronaldo’s mood is all the more frustrating for Ferguson because Scolari had indicated that he would be welcome to visit the player at the Portugal training base. The Brazilian has long been an admirer of Ferguson, the pair sharing a mutual respect, and is wonders whether Ronaldo is in the right frame of mind for the Euro 2008 campaign, which begins against Turkey in Geneva tomorrow

“Scolari is a sensitive coach,” a Portuguese source said. “He wants Ronaldo to be settled and if Ronaldo asks to see Ferguson he will allow it. He just wants Ronaldo to be settled so he can play his best.” Gilberto Mandail, president of the Portuguese Football Federation said: “Having the best Ronaldo on the pitch in the next three weeks is very much our problem.”

by those comments it does seem like the ball is in Ronaldo's court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is Ferguson not on his holidays?

Fergie is on holidays yes, thanks for the thing about Scolari, i still wouldnt put too much faith in the times article though tbh. it just doesnt sound plausable to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Boggles wrote: »
    Is Ferguson not on his holidays?

yeah, he's in France as usual, or so the guardian said a few days ago. guess there is nothing to stop him taking a quick business trip though, he's done it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

kryogen wrote: »
    but think about that, does it actually seem realistic to you? If anybody has banned outsiders from the team preparations its Scolari.

huh?

what are you like,
    he has publicly urged Fergie not to come see him,
    I don't give a rats arse which portugal official is responsible for formalising the ban.

And you are certainly wrong about Scolari, who feels that it i sup to ronaldo wether he wants to see him or not, he is only concerned with ronaldo being in the right mind-frame for the three weeks.

edit: by the time i wrote this it was said pretty much in the above posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

huh?

what are you like,

He has done no such thing. Read the quotes and show me where he 'publicly' told Ferguson not see him?

No wonder the media can get away with this when people like yourself lap it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Do people really think Ronaldo has the power to 'ban' SAF from coming and seeing him?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Unearthly wrote: »
    He has done no such thing. Read the quotes and show me where he 'publicly' told Ferguson not see him?

No wonder the media can get away with this when people like yourself lap it up

I agree, when i read the quotes it insinuated that he doesnt want anyone coming messing up ronaldos mind before the comp. Regardless of the situation that would have been the case anyway.

God some ppl post things here and then others come on and dont read it cause we all going around in circles. Ronaldo is gone wah wah, no hes not. Nothing happened yet nor will happen till at very least after the Euros (a month). Can we go back to talking about santa cruz? Good enough? Ppl see the quote from gill (official prem league site) saying that no transfers will happen for awhile.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Do people really think Ronaldo has the power to 'ban' SAF from coming and seeing him?!

It's laughable really. Let's make up a story and use a sensational word like ban to make it look interesting!

• Advertisement

Link to the Gill quote!

Unearthly wrote: »
    It's laughable really. Let's make up a story and use a sensational word like ban to make it look interesting!
    You'd expect that from The Sun or something not The Times!

Skud wrote: »
    Can we go back to talking about santa cruz?

I'd cry if I see Santa Cruz signing for United. We have to be aiming alot higher than that. The Hunter is the man, please no more Kuyt comparisons because that will make me cry aswell. :(

I'd cry if I see Santa Cruz signing for United. We have to be aiming alot higher than that. The Hunter is the man, please no more Kuyt comparisons because that will make me cry aswell. :(

if he's good enough to be linked with madrid he's good enough for us :P

is luis fabiano any good?

is luis fabiano any good?

Proven goal scorer, supposed to be nuts thou.

Proven goal scorer, supposed to be nuts thou.
    Lol,him and Rooney upfront we'd def need cover strikers for their 5th....10th....15th....etc:D

i vaguely remember seeing him play sometime for sevilla and thinking he was good. Looks like its a toss up between him santa and huntelaar if you believe the press. According to them alves and luis fab were our top two targets. I dont know how true that is after gills quote as they both Brazilian so they not involved in the euros. Santa Cruz isnt either being from paraguay. :)

Might not wanna affect the Olymipics:rolleyes:

i vaguely remember seeing him play sometime for sevilla and thinking he was good. Looks like its a toss up between him santa and huntelaar if you believe the press. According to them alves and luis fab were our top two targets. I dont know how true that is after gills quote as they both Brazilian so they not involved in the euros. Santa Cruz isnt either being from paraguay. :)

ah ya never know. I remember the Anderson transfer came out of nowhere

kmart6 wrote: »
    Might not wanna affect the Olymipics:rolleyes:

the prem season will be back by then :D

ya i know - if u were to follow what fergie and gill says to the bookies you'd be homeless

• Advertisement

True enough!

huh?

what are you like,

I don't give a rats arse which portugal official is responsible for formalising the ban.

And you are certainly wrong about Scolari, who feels that it i sup to ronaldo wether he wants to see him or not, he is only concerned with ronaldo being in the right mind-frame for the three weeks.

edit: by the time i wrote this it was said pretty much in the above posts.

oh dear.

*shakes head*

what imaginary interview was this then?

the great one from the Brazilian reporter who isnt in Switzerland?

It must be real exciting to believe everything the media say though,

oh by the way, i heard from a source in an Iranian newspaper that Zidane is coming out of retirement to boost Waterford Uniteds promotion push!! he has said he always had a soft spot for the Blues, the deal is expected to be completed in the next week

Again though,on the subject of Fabiano,he looks much better when he is playing off Kanoute, wouldnt be over excited about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Again though,on the subject of Fabiano,he looks much better when he is playing off Kanoute, wouldnt be over excited about him

i've been saying as much for a while now. There is also the fact he has found it very hard to settle into new surroundings during his career, such as the move to Rennes in the early stage of his career; only to get a move back to Sao Paulo a year later. Apparently he found it hard to settle, at first, in both Porto and Seville too. If he found it hard in Spain and Portugal, I can only imagine the difficulties he would have in Manchester!!

However, if rumours about a low transfer fee are true, though i do not believe they are, he could be a good, relatively cheap, option in the squad. He's no Benzema though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Pie in the sky here, but apparantly Inter's Mario Balotelli was demanding a new contract, and Inter had been reluctant to offer him one. With Mourinho now in charge, could he be on the move?

He's got strength and speed, as well as being young. Lyon are undoubtedly looking for silly money for Benzema, so he could be an alternative.

apart from being a fantastic young player in Football Manager, I know nothing about the lad. let me do some googling and youtubing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He's only really started to get into the Inter side in recent months, but some are hailing him as the 'New Pato', or the rather more brilliant 'Super Mario'.

I don't watch much Serie A myself, but he looks decent from what I have seen of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

He's only really started to get into the Inter side in recent months, but some are hailing him as the 'New Pato', or the rather more brilliant 'Super Mario'.

I don't watch much Serie A myself, but he looks decent from what I have seen of him.

:eek: i want super mario at utd, that would be brilliant! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

He has only 11 first team caps - he looks good on youtube thou!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

There hasnt been a peep about Berba in a few weeks. Does anyone think this deal is being done quietly behind closed doors?

Killme00 wrote: »
    There hasnt been a peep about Berba in a few weeks. Does anyone think this deal is being done quietly behind closed doors?
    Nope - i just reckon we haven't gone for him. I think we'll probably have to wait for Spurs to sign someone before a real push for Berbatov could be made.

come on, super mariunited

supermarionited.jpg

edit: apologies for the bad paint job but i find it funny! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

jameshayes wrote: »
    He has only 11 first team caps - he looks good on youtube thou!

Youtube ? i think thats where Graeme Souness scouts his players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Tauren wrote: »
    Nope - i just reckon we haven't gone for him. I think we'll probably have to wait for Spurs to sign someone before a real push for Berbatov could be made.

Times believe Spurs representatives are due to meet the agent of Real Zaragoza striker Sergio Garcia today to discuss a move to White Hart Lane.

Killme00 wrote: »

I'm sure the big clubs got their annual Fax "Berb - 30 Million"

• Advertisement

I'm sure the big clubs got their annual Fax "Berb - 30 Million"

this year i have a feeling they may reduce their asking price!

this year i have a feeling they may reduce their asking price!

29.99 - Tis Spurs afterall. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

:eek: i want super mario at utd, that would be brilliant! :pac:

Yeah and think how much we could save on plumbing. As long as his girlfriend can stop getting kidnapped of course. :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

29.99 - Tis Spurs afterall. :pac::pac:

30 pounds for berba. Yes please. ;):p

30 pounds for berba. Yes please. ;):p

FFS 29.99 euro. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

A proper legendary number 7 , not like the petulant git who wears it these days.

Eric still scores with fans
    Adam Moss
    5/ 6/2008

THERE aren't many people who sit comfortably with the over-used title `legend' when you meet them. But in Eric Cantona's case it seems to fit.

He spent just six seasons playing for Manchester United and, though he left the Theatre of Dreams a decade ago, he is still revered across the soccer-watching world, from the beaches of Rio to the backstreets of Blackley.

But the 41-year-old is as in awe of the city that gave his unique footballing talents a stage as the United diehards who idolise him.

Speaking on the Chorlton set of his new movie Looking For Eric, directed by award-winning Ken Loach, Cantona said: "I want the world to speak even more about the Manchester United fans after this film. Many of my best memories are from when I was at the club and in Manchester. I am very proud that the fans still like me. I gave a lot for the club but the fans gave me so much back. It is something that will stay with me forever."

Cantona was the catalyst in the team that won Sir Alex his first Premiership title back in 1993.

His six-year stint with the Red Devils heralded the dawn of the club's domination of domestic football.

Love of the city

But even though it's been 10 years since he quit Old Trafford and professional football he says his love of the city and club is as strong as ever.

So much so that he asked Loach to make a film based on the special relationship he had with the Old Trafford fans.

Cantona stars in and is also co-producer of the movie, which will be premiered here next summer, before going on cinema release.

The film is about how the chaotic life of one particular Manchester United fan is turned around when he starts to imagine Cantona is at his side, a dreamlike life coach, giving him renewed confidence. Its premise may be a comic one, but the underlying message, that Eric Cantona and Manchester remain inseparable, is heartfelt.

Sitting in the sunshine during a break from filming, eating cottage pie and spring greens, our man mulls over the concept before uttering in his soft Marseille brogue: "I do not know why the relationship I had with the fans, and the fans with me, was so special.

"I think that is maybe a question that a Manchester United fan would have to answer.

"Relationship"

"I think though, if you have personality then it interests the fans. I think my relationship with the fans and why they still like me is a mixture of things - it is a mixture of the way I played, the time that I arrived in Manchester and, I hope, a bit of my personality too."

Born in 1966, many would think that the grey skies of Manchester seemed a long way from his Marseille roots when Cantona first came here.

Not so, according to the philosopher who also became legendary for his poetic pronouncements. He sees many similarities between the Mediterranean port where he grew up and found his love of football and the Rainy City where he became an adopted Mancunian. It's about the attitude of the citizens, the pride in their cities and their rivalries with their country's capitals.

He smiles, adding: "Marseille is very like Manchester in many ways. There is a similar rivalry between Marseille and Paris as there is between Manchester and London. Marseille, like Manchester, is a country within a country."

It surprises and delights Cantona that United fans still chant his name in the Stretford End despite the arena at Old Trafford being full of a new generation of heroes.

"We are a breed of memories," he says. "That is why I have this love of Manchester and Manchester United. I am not on the pitch any more but I am still proud and a little afraid of that relationship. My feelings will always be here," he adds holding his hand over his heart, "but I am afraid that maybe one day I may lose it from the fans. For me the strongest relationship was always between me and the fans. I felt it every time I was on the pitch."

There was just one relationship that might surpass this mutual love-in: "Alex Ferguson. He was more than football to me." And with that pearl of wisdom he returns to his new stage.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1052687_eric_still_scores_with_fans

This is why people slate ronaldo recently. Cantona was not only a legend he was a top class gentleman. He signed autographs for every fan that wanted it after training. He felt humbled to be at such a good club. For me he was the best ever, he wouldnt have left united no matter what. This is absent in modern football where greed and agents win out. Some people seem to forget how lucky they are.

lol choosing to forget Cantona was a bit of a journeyman before he came to our club!

and a top class gentleman? that sleeps with his teammates missus??

anyway, i love Eric, but dont be blinded by your love!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Cruijff wrote: »
    A proper legendary number 7 , not like the petulant git who wears it these days.

icon14.gif

Agreed 100%.

This is why people slate ronaldo recently. Cantona was not only a legend he was a top class gentleman. He signed autographs for every fan that wanted it after training. He felt humbled to be at such a good club. For me he was the best ever, he wouldnt have left united no matter what. This is absent in modern football where greed and agents win out. Some people seem to forget how lucky they are.
    Exactly, on the 3 occasions I have been at OT over the past 2 years not once did Ronaldo pose for pics or sign for autograpohs.

lol choosing to forget Cantona was a bit of a journeyman before he came to our club!

and a top class gentleman? that sleeps with his teammates missus??

anyway, i love Eric, but dont be blinded by your love!

rumors :)

and also he loved our club, whatever went on beforehand did, but he still loves the club. It doesnt take much to stand for photos and sign autographs.

Too true he loves Man U, and for that he will always be a true legend in my eyes.

im not saying he doesnt, King Eric is a hero of mine! i would kiss the ground he walks on actually! just saying that perspectives have a lot to do with peoples attitudes, Eric was arrogant also. There are similaritys between him and Ronaldo. its there self belief and arrogance that sets them apart,they need it to push on and do extra ordinary things with a football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

im not saying he doesnt, King Eric is a hero of mine! i would kiss the ground he walks on actually! just saying that perspectives have a lot to do with peoples attitudes, Eric was arrogant also. There are similaritys between him and Ronaldo. its there self belief and arrogance that sets them apart,they need it to push on and do extra ordinary things with a football

Very true, Cantona was also petculant (karate kick anyone) and loved a sulk
    when things werent going well for him on the pitch.
    Doesnt make him any less of a brilliant player, infact it made the fans love him even more.
    Strange that those same qualities make some people despise Ronaldo. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

IrishMike wrote: »
    Very true, Cantona was also petculant (karate kick anyone) and loved a sulk
    when things werent going well for him on the pitch.
    Doesnt make him any less of a brilliant player, infact it made the fans love him even more.
    Strange that those same qualities make some people despise Ronaldo. :confused:

Its because Cantona looked that bit more manly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement