Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

DSB wrote: »
    Its because Cantona looked that bit more manly.

I admit, i lol'd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Haha me 2 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So, with the Euro's starting tomorrow - who are you going to have your eye on?

Benzema and Huntelaar for me, for a start; although I don't think we'll get either, I CAN STILL DREAM! :D

Will be also keeping an eye on Ribery; and an eye out for some defenders who impress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Why are ya a united scout?

...Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Tauren wrote: »
    So, with the Euro's starting tomorrow - who are you going to have your eye on?

Benzema and Huntelaar for me, for a start; although I don't think we'll get either, I CAN STILL DREAM! :D

Will be also keeping an eye on Ribery; and an eye out for some defenders who impress.

ya ill be having a look at Benzema and Huntelaar too

but Huntelaar doesnt seem to be a first team starter

ill also having a look for a right winger :rolleyes:

also i heard Ribery got a injury scare ?

I think himself and Henry might be out of the first game - pretty sure Henry is, but not as sure about Ribery - can't remember what they said about him on SSN

ok so do you really think Ribery would be a good player for a Top 4 team in England apart from Pool maybe

One of the better wingers out there imo - though I don't think he is as good as he is hyped up to be. I reckon he'd be a better option than Nani, Park or Giggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

There aint many wingers out there I'd buy tbh, Ribery is a class player, Robinho isn't a winger but Ronaldo isn't a conventional Winger either really, Silva from Valencia, maybe Quaresma but he's probably too inconsistent.

Silva would certainly be my first choice.

One of the better wingers out there imo - though I don't think he is as good as he is hyped up to be. I reckon he'd be a better option than Nani, Park or Giggs.
    yea your prob right. Park and Giggs are dirt.Nani should do though

nani should do well enough, but there is something about his style of play i don't trust.. He is more erratic than Ronnie was when he fist came, but for some reason I don't have the same confidence in him to improve as i did in Ronnie.

Ronaldo wont have as good a season.

Nani is progressing just fine

Anderson is going to be amazing imo

yous just need to replace giggs, park and scholes next season.

if ronaldo does stay, he is as likely to havea good season this year as any other. We have had this crap every summer - i don't think anything has really played. Ronaldo will try to perform at his best because, above all, he wants to be recognised as the best. He is driven by his ego and ambition - and that will keep at least wanting to perform as well as he can.

• Advertisement

he wont score 40 odd goals and have everyone saying OMG wow hes like the bestest ever.

chdpoker wrote: »
    he wont score 40 odd goals and have everyone saying OMG wow hes like the bestest ever.

ok.... but sure there is a middle ground between not scoring 40 goals and not having a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If his future isnt clarified until after the Euros, you just know that hes going to pick up a bad injury during the tournament scuppering any transfer and leaving us wondering how it would have played out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't think many expected Ronaldo to replicate what he did last season, never mind exceed it. Not saying he'll definitely top it again next season, but there's no reason he can't reach the same heights.

Just on Nani, while he is very erratic his season as a whole hasn't been bad. His assist count is terrific, he's an asset when it comes to set pieces. It's great to see corners that can get over the first man. What he does need to sort out is his temprement.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

39 goals. Minimum. Otherwise he's had a ****e season.

• Advertisement

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=96965

Manchester United ace Cristiano Ronaldo faces a massive £25 million hit to his wages if he moves to Real Madrid.

The Daily Mail says Ronaldo risks blowing a £25million jackpot with sponsor Nike if he moves to Real this summer.

United, who will report Real to FIFA next week for their public pursuit of Ronaldo, are working on a complicated image rights deal with the club's kit manufacturer for a 'CR7' range in an attempt to appease the winger.

Michael Jordan was the first high-profile name to make a fortune this way when he launched his range and Tiger Woods has a 10-year deal with Nike worth £50m.

United's non-executive director Bryan Glazer, who was closely involved with the deal for shirt sponsor AIG, is in negotiations with Nike over a contract that could be worth another £100,000 a week to the Portugal winger.

The contract is expected to run concurrent with his existing £120,000-a-week package at Old Trafford and will effectively top the £200,000 a week on offer at the Bernabeu.

Ronaldo, who has changed his signature simply to 'CR7', can market baseball caps, T-shirts and shorts around the world to capitalise on his growing status.

Nike, who already have an endorsement contract with Ronaldo, are keen to exploit his name but are reluctant to launch the range if he moves to 'an adidas club' such as Real.

Ok, whatever about the story itself....how about this bit: "Ronaldo, who has changed his signature simply to 'CR7'" WHAT A JERK!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Lmao He's a fantastic talent but seems like an awful team member.He should have dismissed claim as soon as it happened.People are forgeting manchester united is a team not an individual and no one is above the team> and those who have tried to be bigger than the team get pushed out. let him go , give us 60 million build up our TEAM and when we play against real , make sure he regrets being such a twat .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Awful team player :D

If I was playing a match and some guy on my team kept smacking in the goals I would bloody appreciate him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i havnt been on this thread in over a week but last time i was on i said i wud post up all my old jerseys for sale well in the mean time i actually sold most of them to a neighbour and a fella who works with my brother so sorry to anyone was waiting for them to be listed.only ended keeping 4 of them myself ,sold 12 altogether and the neighbour offered me €150 for the 92/93 yellow/green one but it staying putt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=96965

Manchester United ace Cristiano Ronaldo faces a massive £25 million hit to his wages if he moves to Real Madrid.

The Daily Mail says Ronaldo risks blowing a £25million jackpot with sponsor Nike if he moves to Real this summer.

United, who will report Real to FIFA next week for their public pursuit of Ronaldo, are working on a complicated image rights deal with the club's kit manufacturer for a 'CR7' range in an attempt to appease the winger.

Michael Jordan was the first high-profile name to make a fortune this way when he launched his range and Tiger Woods has a 10-year deal with Nike worth £50m.

United's non-executive director Bryan Glazer, who was closely involved with the deal for shirt sponsor AIG, is in negotiations with Nike over a contract that could be worth another £100,000 a week to the Portugal winger.

The contract is expected to run concurrent with his existing £120,000-a-week package at Old Trafford and will effectively top the £200,000 a week on offer at the Bernabeu.

Ronaldo, who has changed his signature simply to 'CR7', can market baseball caps, T-shirts and shorts around the world to capitalise on his growing status.

Nike, who already have an endorsement contract with Ronaldo, are keen to exploit his name but are reluctant to launch the range if he moves to 'an adidas club' such as Real.

Ok, whatever about the story itself....how about this bit: "Ronaldo, who has changed his signature simply to 'CR7'" WHAT A JERK!! :D

If this happens, it's actually genius by United, from a business perspective anyway. Nike have left Adidas trailing in their wake in the last few years and if a deal like this is on the table, Ronaldo will find it hard to resist. Real, on the other hand, like to own 50% of their players' image rights and could be a huge hit financially for Ronaldo. He's gotten a lot of criticism in this thread but I really hope he stays with United next season at least, if only because of the lack of replacements in world football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

ok.... but sure there is a middle ground between not scoring 40 goals and not having a good season.

The problem is even if he has a better season than last year, i.e. more consistent, more influential, more assists, more of a presence and gets an excellent 20 goals, the perception will be that he didn't have as good a season if he doesn't get over 30. So I can see why he might want a new challenge, but probbaly not handled it very well. I'd be a bit p1ssed off if I was a Portugal player at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

I think he'll find it harder every which way if he stays. It would be hard to top the goals tally from last season but y'never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Guys, may I point you towards your local Tesco? The season review of the 07/08 season has just been released and you can pick it up there for €19.99. Considering the season we've just had, it's a bargain!

And before you ask, yes it has every goal from every game of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Already seen it for times on MUTV so i dont think i need the DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Already seen it for times on MUTV so i dont think i need the DVD.

thanks for letting us know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah saw somethin on MUTV, 'How We Won The League 07/08', thought it was very good. Showed all the goals. It'll probably be repeated several times.

I'll probs still buy the review though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

deise59 wrote: »
    Guys, may I point you towards your local Tesco? The season review of the 07/08 season has just been released and you can pick it up there for €19.99. Considering the season we've just had, it's a bargain!

And before you ask, yes it has every goal from every game of the season

Good man, I shall be purchasing.

Remember the monthly/quarterly review videos from years ago? The guy from Youre On Sky Sports used to present them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm sure the big clubs got their annual Fax "Berb - 30 Million"

Ha ha, brilliant!

You think Spurs hawk our best players around trying to make a quick buck? Maybe we should have waited for SAF to tap him up?

Milan, Barca, and Real are interested, as are United and Chelsea.

The price to a European side will be £20m+. The price to an English side will be nearer the £30m mark. Berba has been told if the valuation is not met, and it's not met by early July, then he will not be sold this window.

With Drogba to Milan looking a distinct possibility, I would suspect that Chelsea will outbid you if you do put an offer on the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I haven't posted here before (hooray for being allowed in!), so hello all. On the topic of Berbatov, there was this story in the Sunday Times today - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article4087649.ece
    - about how United are pondering a move for Berbatov, whether they'll sell Ronaldo, and who'd they would buy from the proceeds.

Any striker United move for needs to be able to score from headers. Rooney and Tevez are both fairly small, Ronaldo is obviously a great header but is technically a winger. I'd like to see Berbatov at United, though I'd wonder how he'd handle not playing week in, week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ha ha, brilliant!

You think Spurs hawk our best players around trying to make a quick buck? Maybe we should have waited for SAF to tap him up?

Milan, Barca, and Real are interested, as are United and Chelsea.

The price to a European side will be £20m+. The price to an English side will be nearer the £30m mark. Berba has been told if the valuation is not met, and it's not met by early July, then he will not be sold this window.

With Drogba to Milan looking a distinct possibility, I would suspect that Chelsea will outbid you if you do put an offer on the table.

Spurs, Money? No Way! :D

I think If he is happy in London he is definately Chelsea bound, although Spurs have been one of the busier clubs in the transfer market. I would like if they kept him and pushed on in the league. How West Ham finished above them I'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Gerard Piqué signed by Barca for £4.4mill, how did I miss that one?

He looked the business everytime I saw him, put the young Arsenal centre backs Djourou and Senderass to shame.

Why did Fergie let him go, he was still very young?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He wanted to leave. Didnt really have a chance with Vidic and Ferdinand there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I doubt he will have chance in Barca's starting 11 too

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He wanted to leave. Didnt really have a chance with Vidic and Ferdinand there.

Vidic is a little injury prone and Ferdinand is 30, breaking into the team would be very hard if they are fit, he would still get plenty of chances..

Fergie will have to buy another CB now, Brown is solid.Beyond that nothing

• Advertisement

He was very impressive against Barca when he was on loan with Zaragoza, made some brillant challenges in that game.

Looked very comfortable as a 19 year old in La Liga, I can see big things for him myself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Brown, and possibly even O'Shea were played as cover in centre half ahead of him this year iirc.

i'm sure fergie would have liked to keep him and he'd have gotten his chance over the next couple of years, but the player didnt wanna wait, not much you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Evans is coming back to who is highly rated and can do the Pique job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I'd say he will! They can be very suspect at times! Thuram is past it, Puyol has the habit of just taking people down and Marquiez seemed to be out of favour. He's young as they're going to have him for a long time, I can see him becoming they're main defender ina couple of years!

Well in a couple of years he could be same important in Manchester,i am talking about present,no position in United and i cant see him in starting 11 in Barca,he will probably just get more chances entering from bench

there are already rumours of Pique being used in a swap deal for Moutinho.

• Advertisement

Well in a couple of years he could be same important in Manchester,i am talking about present,no position in United and i cant see him in starting 11 in Barca,he will probably just get more chances entering from bench
    It'll be a lot longer than a couple of years before Rio and Vidic need to be replaced!

there are already rumours of Pique being used in a swap deal for Moutinho.
    Doubt that'll happen, he wanted out of United to get playing time!

kmart6 wrote: »
    It'll be a lot longer than a couple of years before Rio and Vidic need to be replaced!

And how much for Barca's defence?

I also doubt it will happen, but surely he would get playing time at Sporting Lisbon easier than Barcelona, so where does that argument come from?

And how much for Barca's defence?
    Bar Puyol, none of Barcelona's CBs have covered themselves in glory over the last two seasons, and Puyol has occasionaly been less than epic. I'd take the Rio/Vidic partnership over anything barcelona could put together.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement