Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

kryogen wrote: »
    the real question is, how the fook are we gonna convince someone to take Saha off our hands!!!! and if nobody will, unlikely, should we just release him?

Why would we release a player, who on his day is probably one of the top 5 strikers in the league? The problem is that he is crocked every two games.

Evans, Simpson, Silvestre will go. The rest will stay unless we get a good offer for Saha.

It's hard to know where to invest into this summer. Foster should come through if he stays fit so VDS will be playing less games next year. Brown has performed ably at right back (with even more goals and assists than Evra - yes I was shocked too) but possibly someone else like Lahm would improve that area.

Apart from that we're looking at a backup striker as the only thing we need, a big guy that can hold up the ball and add another option i.e Saha when he's fit. I've heard good things about Manucho out in Greece, apparently he's notched 3 goals in 2 games that he's been there (they haven't played him enough).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That's brilliant DesF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

To keep in with the funny pictures mood. Look who cameback to join in with the celebrations again ;)

2066928990103265676S600x600Q85.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Why would we release a player, who on his day is probably one of the top 5 strikers in the league? The problem is that he is crocked every two games.

Every two games? He has been crocked since we bought him and has only managed to put together a half season since he joined us (start of 06/07 season). Whats is the point in keeping him around and paying his wages and medical expenses? If its alot cheaper to keep him keep him, otherwise take the small financial hit and kick him out the door. Sure he must be coming into the last year on his contract by now wouldn't cost a lot to release him.

We need to strengthen at right back, and up front. Also need cover for whoever leaves to keep the squad size strong, and I would love to see one or two young players brought in like Anderson and Nani but that might be asking for too much.

Interesting thing that after Ronaldo,Tevez and Rooney he was the top scorer in the PL for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kmart6 wrote: »
    Interesting thing that after Ronaldo,Tevez and Rooney he was the top scorer in the PL for us!

with five tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

With how many?

Says more about Nani, Giggs, Scholes, Anderson, and Carrick then Saha. I remember him scoring two penos and header against Sunderland I think that won us the game.

I know,lol,show's how with out those 3 we woulda been in trouble,like some other midfield player should be getting mre than 5!

Link

My mate went to Manchester to watch the Final, was in the Blaize and told me that i had too look for vids on youtube.

This is just brilliant, 4 HOURS BEFORE kickoff and this is what it was like! the beer fight is brilliant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

some great quotes from Fergie. I think he gets better with age.

"Calderon makes that great statement 'slavery was abolished many years ago'. Did they tell General Franco that? Give me a break.
    "The simple fact is Cristiano has another four years left on his contract."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7416981.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

21khs9w.jpg

Me thinks JT will be hearing about this for some time. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

^^^^^^^^^
    EXCELLENT!:D

prwz90f773vc0-2-1.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Good news - Austrian cellar rapist Joseph Fritzl has been handed the death penalty, bad news however - John Terry is taking it.

A little bad taste you might say - but feck it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Think this is a great pic.

f693453ad0a04937c585663fw9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Tbh 6 months ago Id have LOVED him at United, now given some of the statements from him that Ive read, Im not so sure that he's the right man for us....

I know man. Im aware that United could go a long time before we get our hands on the European Cup again thats why im enjoying this now. I do, and have done before, see the similarities between United 08 and Barca 06.

However there are a few differences that I see.

Firstly United have a far better defence than Barca did, while Barca have a better overall attacking unit. Barca then bought the wrong players to strengthen that defence (Thuram in particular, not so much Zambo)

Who else did Barca sign after 06? They lost larsson and replaced with him with Gudjohnsson yes?

The other major thing is, that while our main star Ronaldo is an egomaniac, I dont see him going down the same road as Ronaldinho.

And finally the average age of this United teams core is a lot younger. That and the hunger that Im sure fergie has drilled into them will for me ensure that we at least have a good chance of future success.

Where do u think it was went wrong man?

EDIT: Actually I think it was Ten Cate leaving myself. Lets hope Carlos stays cos I think he's been a huge influence on our recent success.

It was a calamity of things that caused the trainwreck you see before you now. Firstly, Larsson was always going to be impossible to replace, for the simple fact that he knew he wasn't going to be a starter. I can't think of a better impact sub striker in my life time..

Thuram was a sound investment in my eyes, he had a great world cup, and a very good Serie A season iswell. He was just a luxury CB signing because of his cheap price due to Juve's relegation. Watch him this summer, I bet he'll be solid for France, any old tactical CB will struggle in a passing team that has zero defensive tactics...

Also, Ronaldinho and Deco just seemed to have lost interest due to the constant success, as if their hunger had just died. Saying that Ronaldinho scored the same amount as Ronaldo last season, with alot more assists, hardly terrible.. This season has just been ridiculous though, the worst is his constant teasing, he can play brilliantly when he wants to, but I dont want to see him at my club when he has that sort of attitude.

Ten Cates was arguably the single biggest factor, along with teams getting accustomed to our 4-3-3 over the past 3 seasons and no plan B...

Hopefully some of the shrewd investments in Pique, Alves and Keita along with some defensive tactics and we can cover up any holes...
    any one hear any movement on alvez and fabiano?!

alvesa6ja0.jpg

alves2205.jpg

Oh he's surely on his way to United... =)

Some more...

2789719140103265676S600x600Q85.jpg

Who's hungry?

2931042300103265676S600x600Q85.jpg

And my personal favourite...

2544940030103265676S600x600Q85.jpg

That is absolutely brilliant whoever did that one! ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Champions_League.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Seriously guys, keep the chelsea slags out of this thread, if it was the other way round i'd hate to see that kind of ****, put it in the game thread.

Not directed at any one user in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Unearthly wrote: »
    To keep in with the funny pictures mood. Look who cameback to join in with the celebrations again ;)

2066928990103265676S600x600Q85.jpg

Man that made me laugh no end... thanks.

David May superstar.... he's got more medals than Sheaaarreerr...

lordgoat wrote: »
    Seriously guys, keep the chelsea slags out of this thread, if it was the other way round i'd hate to see that kind of ****, put it in the game thread.

Not directed at any one user in particular.

It's just a bit of fun. Lighten up. I'd have no problem with it if the shoe was on the other foot. That's what's football is all about.

It's just a bit of fun. Lighten up. I'd have no problem with it if the shoe was on the other foot. That's what's football is all about.
    indeed - i'd just not go into the Chelsea thread....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im getting fair pissed off about all this Ronaldo talk

if Ronaldo isn't going to give a proper answer about is he staying or not

sell him

big lose but with the reported 100 million mg the players united could get

and Ronaldo will never have the same season he had

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Tbh I would probably take the 100m aswell, but...
    It would give off a terrible impression imo, that we sell our best players, that we could be up for selling any of our players for a inflated price. I don't want United to give that impression tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Smegball wrote: »
    Tbh I would probably take the 100m aswell, but...
    It would give off a terrible impression imo, that we sell our best players, that we could be up for selling any of our players for a inflated price. I don't want United to give that impression tbh.

good point

united dont want to be the new lyon of football

but he's going someday and imagine if he has a bad season next yr and then the price goes down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

good point

but he's going someday and imagine if he has a bad season next yr and then the price goes down

Imagine if we sell him and he's fantastic next season and we buy three players instead of him and they are all ****e! Imagine how we'd feel then.
    I'd rather stick with him, he's been fantastic two years in a row, he'll be fantastic for a long time more IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,710 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

good point

United in recent history have never been a selling club and in the forseeable future won't be either. United are and have been the buying club that break the transfer records.

Ronaldo is going nowhere, 2 reasons. 1. He is with the best club in the world, anywhere else will be a step down. 2. Madrid or whoever else have nowhere near 100 million to splashing on anyone.

im getting fair pissed off about all this Ronaldo talk

if Ronaldo isn't going to give a proper answer about is he staying or not

sell him

big lose but with the reported 100 million mg the players united could get

and Ronaldo will never have the same season he had

he has given proper answers. Every time he is asked, he says he WANTS TO STAY.

He has said he doesn't know if he will move on in the future, but that HE IS STAYING FOR NEXT SEASON

Sir Alex Ferguson has outlined his vision of a future Manchester United coaching set-up - including Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

United's manager confirmed that 1999 Champions League hero Solskjaer will take charge of the club's reserve team next season and that he hopes to offer coaching positions to modern day role models Giggs and Scholes.

Ferguson said: "We want a structure whereby former players are part of the club, as we are doing with Bryan Robson, who is an ambassador.

"The model is Bayern Munich and I have been saying for years to our people that our former players who have been a great credit to the club should always be included in the future, like we have done with Ole Gunnar Solksjaer this year.

"What we are doing next year is bringing Ole in to run the reserves along with another coach, Warren Joyce.

"And I would agree with retaining people like Ryan as well. He's taking his coaching badges."

Giggs, 34, who set a club appearance record of 759 games in Moscow to cap his 17-year career, is due to take his UEFA 'A' licence with the FA of Wales in Aberystwyth next month.

Linky

John Giles giving his thoughts on the CL final on Newstalk:

http://www.podcastingireland.ie/listen-podcast.html?id_directory=327&item=7

Speaks very well of SAF and the game. Worth a listen.

• Advertisement

LOL @ Edwin

Edwin dropping an F-Bomb on live TV as well as the rest of the celebrations...classic!!

Nice photo done by someone on the RedCafe forum.

LINK

Edwin dropping an F-Bomb on live TV as well as the rest of the celebrations...classic!!

Ha love the interviewer's response. "Easy!"

It's past the watershed sure. :pac:

Brilliant photo,looks like Welbeck is looking up at them doesn't it!

Did he not say please:confused:

Ha love the interviewer's response. "Easy!"

It's past the watershed sure. :pac:

Its the way he says "****inhellohsorry" all in one without really changin his facial expression! Its classic!

Speaking of classic

ZidaneTerry.gif

Nice photo done by someone on the RedCafe forum.

LINK

There ya go.

Eurocelebrations.jpg

A great pic.

Well atleast that one was more affective:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Anyone got that photo in colour?!? Think it's a work of art...awesome photo.

cheesedude wrote: »
    Anyone got that photo in colour?!? Think it's a work of art...awesome photo.

Its not supposed to be in colour, its red. The photo of the babes was bl;ack and white

vlcsnap3962711vz0.jpg

Theres the mosaic...fantasic to be able to organise that in a foreign stadium. SEF should be proud of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Wes had an amazing seaon it has to be said. I think Neville is finished in the sence of making 25-30 apperances a seaon,he could be a great back-up from now on. A striker would be great to see coming into the club,who though is the question?!

If anything for next season id like to see Manu defend both and go all the away again or quite close.

As for players who will leave old trafford.
    Thomas Kuszczak - more likely a loan deal
    Mikel Silvestre
    Gerrard Pique
    Johnny Evans
    Chris Eagles
    Fangzhuo Dong
    Loui Saha

What we need in the summer:
    Mateus Alberto Contreiras Goncalves ( Manucho on Loan at Panathinaikos )
    RB - Alves or Miguel
    CM - Diego of Weder Bremen :)
    Striker: Jan Klass Huntelaar

I think most Manu fans would agree with Huntleaar, we a different option up front. A prime example was wednesday when chelsea had us under pressure, we need something different up front and he would fit the bill for me. I also can't see Nevile walking straight back into the team next season, Wes Brwon for me has being brilliant & i always said given a good run in the team he prove what a good defender he is.

, Wes Brwon for me has being brilliant & i always said given a good run in the team he prove what a good defender he is.

Then why in your shopping list have you a new right back?

If anything for next season id like to see Manu defend both and go all the away again or quite close.

As for players who will leave old trafford.
    Thomas Kuszczak - more likely a loan deal
    Mikel Silvestre
    Gerrard Pique
    Johnny Evans
    Chris Eagles
    Fangzhuo Dong
    Loui Saha

What we need in the summer:
    Mateus Alberto Contreiras Goncalves ( Manucho on Loan at Panathinaikos )
    RB - Alves or Miguel
    CM - Diego of Weder Bremen :)
    Striker: Jan Klass Huntelaar

I think most Manu fans would agree with Huntleaar, we a different option up front. A prime example was wednesday when chelsea had us under pressure, we need something different up front and he would fit the bill for me. I also can't see Nevile walking straight back into the team next season, Wes Brwon for me has being brilliant & i always said given a good run in the team he prove what a good defender he is.

Football manager tbh!

Alves is all but gone to Barca from what i hear. Miguel I wouldnt trust ahead of Brown and his constant partying sounds like trouble. We dont need a player like Diego, he's very similar to a Deco.

Huntelaar...now you're talking!!

i agree about Brown, he was outstanding this year.

Boggles wrote: »
    Then why in your shopping list have you a new right back?

Eh daaaaaaa, because with Pique leaving we need cover and also Brown can play in the center as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

LOL @ Edwin

Awesome - got shivers

Eh daaaaaaa, because with Pique leaving we need cover and also Brown can play in the center as well.

Neville / Hargreaves? Spending 15m on a right back as cover is hardly good business?

Football manager tbh!

Alves is all but gone to Barca from what i hear. Miguel I wouldnt trust ahead of Brown and his constant partying sounds like trouble.
    maybe FM alright :), but i do think we need another right back, Johnson of Portsmouth?
    dont need a player like Diego, he's very similar to a Deco.

I presume you ment another Manu player? I really like to see this player at Manu, he would be a great signing and has being brilliant for bremen this season.

Boggles wrote: »
    Neville / Hargreaves? Spending 15m on a right back as cover is hardly good business?

I dont believe Hargreaves was bought as a right and i would like to see him play more in midfield next season. As for Neville, he was hardly missed this season was he :rolleyes:, i dont think he's good enough if i am being honest. I'd play Brown ahead of him every week, but with Pique leaving that leaves us short for a center half and O' shea is a donkey so to me it makes sense to get another RB.

maybe FM alright :), but i do think we need another right back, Johnson of Portsmouth?

I presume you ment another Manu player? I really like to see this player at Manu, he would be a great signing and has being brilliant for bremen this season.

No i meant deco of Portuguese fame. Very similar style to Diego. And IMO not what we need.

With Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo in the squad I dont think we need another midfield playmaker. I have faith in Anderson.

What we need is a striker (everyone can see that), possibly a right back or a cnetre back...depending on Nevilles comeback, possibly a left back to cover Patrica... possibly another winger and central midfield enforcer (like Veloso who were were linked with).

SAF said he;ll be signing players based on our perceived needs for the extra games that come with having won the CL.

• Advertisement

I dont believe Hargreaves was bought as a right and i would like to see him play more in midfield next season.

Hargreaves was bought for his versatility more than anything, something that has proved invaluable this season. I don't think he will ever make one position his own.
    As for Neville, he was hardly missed this season was he :rolleyes:, i dont think he's good enough if i am being honest. I'd play Brown ahead of him every week,

So your writing Neville completely off, even as cover for right back?

but with Pique leaving that leaves us short for a center half and O' shea is a donkey so to me it makes sense to get another RB.

We are short at Centre half so we should get a right back????

Should we not get a centre half?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement