Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

And how much for Barca's defence?
    Not as long.

Puyol-30
    Marquez-29
    Thuram-36
    Milito-27
    Presas-28

Tauren wrote: »
    I also doubt it will happen, but surely he would get playing time at Sporting Lisbon easier than Barcelona, so where does that argument come from?
    I suppose he could, but he only wanted to leave United for Barca! I'm sure he'd oppose any type of deal!

tauren wrote: »
    bar Puyol, None Of Barcelona's Cbs Have Covered Themselves In Glory Over The Last Two Seasons, And Puyol Has Occasionaly Been Less Than Epic. I'd Take The Rio/vidic Partnership Over Anything Barcelona Could Put Together.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Anyone know where I can watch the frost interview with fergie?

This is the only bit I can find on YouTube,it's the bit bout Gazza

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

What do you lads think about the chance of Berbatov being bought?
    Honestly I'd love to see him join up, but would honestly prefer Benzema but thats highly unlikely:(
    Berby is a class player, and would suit our team imo and would bring some added firepower, skill and ability in the air :)

I'd only like to see Berb coming in if Ronaldo goes! I much prefer Tevez and Rooney to either of them and Berb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

its an odd one - Tevez is a great player, but i think Rooney can be a better player, and I think Rooney will be a better player if he has a striker to actually play off. Rooney needs someone like Drogba up top with him, so that United have an out ball to the striker AND Rooney can attack from deep.

kmart6 wrote: »
    I'd only like to see Berb coming in if Ronaldo goes! I much prefer Tevez and Rooney to either of them and Berb!

I dunno, I think Berb is a class player, top quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

he can be if he wants....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

its an odd one - Tevez is a great player, but i think Rooney can be a better player, and I think Rooney will be a better player if he has a striker to actually play off. Rooney needs someone like Drogba up top with him, so that United have an out ball to the striker AND Rooney can attack from deep.

Rooney needs to learn to finish, that's it IMO, that's all he's missing, but it's a gaping hole in his game right now.
    I've come down hard on Roo on here, but only cos I love him (favourite player since Eric), and I know he can do better. If his game comes together, he'll be top 3 player in the world for the rest of his career.
    A lot of people are going on about hype etc., but it wasn't hype with Rooney - up until the last 2 seasons he was better than Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

kmart6 wrote: »
    Not as long.

Puyol-30
    Marquez-29
    Thuram-36
    Milito-27
    Presas-28

Rio and Vida are 30 and 27 years old so its same

Rio and Vida are 30 and 27 years old so its same
    Actually they're 29 and 26 respectively,and will be 2 months into the season before that changes!

And it's not the same,Thuram is finished and Marquez was out of favour! So a lot at Barca is going tocome down to the new manager, who I could see starting Pique or else signing a high profile Centre Back!

I just see Pique as reserve to other player Barca will buy,thats my opinion and we will see if i am wrong,i just think barca wont gamble to have him in starting roster when they can buy quality and asserted player,Pique still need to work a lot to build him self as a player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I just see Pique as reserve to other player Barca will buy,thats my opinion and we will see if i am wrong,i just think barca wont gamble to have him in starting roster when they can buy quality and asserted player,Pique still need to work a lot to build him self as a player

I disagree, I think Pique will fit in nicely at Barca, and had it not been for two of the best defenders in Europe playing at united, we'd have seen a lot more of him. I haven't read back through this discussion, but there is NO WAY the barca defence is comparable to united's.

+1 to that

Well transfers of Barca this summer will show everything,if they get another good player on that position situation will be known for Pique if they dont all we can do is to wait season to start and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

People think Pique will wlatz into the Barca defence?

rofl.

DesF wrote: »
    People think Pique will wlatz into the Barca defence?

rofl.
    Who has said he will 'wlatz' into the Barca defence? People are saying he has a better chance of getting a place in their defence, which hasn't covered itself in glory over the last two seasons, then the United defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Who has said he will 'wlatz' into the Barca defence? People are saying he has a better chance of getting a place in their defence, which hasn't covered itself in glory over the last two seasons, then the United defence.

Exactly. Get off the floor Des!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

looks like we have lost the fight for alvez! :( unfortunate as it may be, who can we look for now!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

looks like we have lost the fight for alvez! :( unfortunate as it may be, who can we look for now!?
    Bring Phil Neville back I say! :pac:

Anyone surprised we are not being linked much with Eto'o? Fantastic striker and seems keen on a move from barcelona, maybe he would prefer the bright lights of London though.

It has been rumoured that the reason we didnn't make a push for Alves is that we have/had basically tied up a 28million deal for Richards, all that was holding it up is Richards being worried about being a hate figure.

I personally don't believe it. I do reckon we want him, but i just don't see a deal like that happening, and with Hughes taking over, I don't think Richards will be running for the exit door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

It has been rumoured that the reason we didnn't make a push for Alves is that we have/had basically tied up a 28million deal for Richards, all that was holding it up is Richards being worried about being a hate figure.

I personally don't believe it. I do reckon we want him, but i just don't see a deal like that happening, and with Hughes taking over, I don't think Richards will be running for the exit door.
    Yeah I would be amazed if that was true. Cracking player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

28 million for Richards, the same as Rooney?

Has any defender gone for that sort of money anywhere?

• Advertisement

He wants to be a CB though, which is another reason I don't think a move to United is likely.

I reckon he will be a beastly CB by 25/26, but until then I reckon he'd be better off at RB most of the time, where he can be amazing. I think a move to United would be good for him too as I reckon he'd learn a lot from Vidic and, in particular, Rio. But, I do reckon he'd nee dot be happy with playing at RB for Club and Country over the next 5 or so years, so I'm not sure he'd be happy at United.

I still maintain we do need a RB, but i actually can't think of many available for a decent price that are that much better than Brown to make spending millions worthwhile. I reckon Richards would be a good signing cause he has fantastic attributes, and could also cover CB (which is also an area United need to stregthen) but as I say, I don't see it happening, and at 28million I'm not sure I am bothered either.

Boggles wrote: »

Yeah, one lad, Cheif Fiwagboola went for that sort of cash about 6 years ago i think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Boggles wrote: »

eh, our very own Rio?

eh, our very own Rio?

Oh Yeah! :D

beat you to it, and i put a funny slant on it for good measure.... :D

• Advertisement

beat you to it, and i put a funny slant on it for good measure.... :D

I know, I know. But how many people have actually read that story.

I know, I know. But how many people have actually read that story.
    Any true United supporter will have :D

Any true United supporter will have :D

I'm sure Mr_Alan will be along any minute.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

What about Phillipe Lahm? I was watching him yesterday for Germany and he looks like he'd suit United well. He's a good defender and likes to get forward. I think that's the issue with Wes Brown - he's been great this year but his crossing is quite dodgy.

Tom65 wrote: »
    What about Phillipe Lahm? I was watching him yesterday for Germany and he looks like he'd suit United well. He's a good defender and likes to get forward. I think that's the issue with Wes Brown - he's been great this year but his crossing is quite dodgy.
    lahm just signed a new 5 year contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

woohoo!! people start noticing Lahm again!!! yes Lahm seems like the ideal replacement and he also provides cover at left back too, very very good cover, for me there is no other option but Lahm to replace Neville. Good defensively, Good attacking wise. young, plenty of experience at all levels

to me at least, he seems like a perfect fit

kryogen wrote: »
    woohoo!! people start noticing Lahm again!!!

I'm sure Munich were afraid of that too, rushed him into 5 year contract 2 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

So did Ronaldo :pac:

yeah he signed it in May,

but he has had a falling out with Bayern since, possibly not a big deal unfortunatly, bayern responded to fans querys about why the contract took so long to sort out by saying his demands were excessive and they had to find a compromise, Lahm hit back by releasing his own statement! im sure he could be got if things arent so rosy in munich

the only link i can find related to it now is one from during negotiations, cant find any of the stuff from after the contract was signed, it was on munichs website last month though

http://www.football.co.uk/bayern_munich/lahm_denies_contract_claims_264112.shtml

where he says he wants to play for teams who can win the champions league etc. so even if we cant get him this year, which i think we can, another season of failure in europe from ze germans and it will become a very real possibility to get him. he will only be 25 at the end of next season so still young enough imo to be bought as the long term replacement

that is if neville and brown can do the job at right back this year

That Romanian lad Radu is meant to be quite a decent right back, or so I heard ;)

• Advertisement

seems Chelsea have made a bid for Ribery, he is a quality player, and we only have ourselves to blame if he moves to chelsea, all this openly discussing transfer targets in front of RO(ck)MAN was eventually going to bite us in the ass ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

LOL @ the picture of Rio here :D
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1263160.ece

If his new nickname isn't 'Chief', I shall be terribly disappointed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

DaveMcG wrote: »
    LOL @ the picture of Rio here :D
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1263160.ece

If his new nickname isn't 'Chief', I shall be terribly disappointed :D
    He'll have his own supporter section for his tribe now. :p:D

kryogen wrote: »
    seems Chelsea have made a bid for Ribery, he is a quality player, and we only have ourselves to blame if he moves to chelsea, all this openly discussing transfer targets in front of RO(ck)MAN was eventually going to bite us in the ass ;)

He is a quality player but at the price quoted we would only go for him if we sold Ronaldo IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

United report Real to FIFA.....about time too. I'm sick of hearing about Ronaldo's future every day.

http://http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6611277

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    United report Real to FIFA.....about time too. I'm sick of hearing about Ronaldo's future every day.

http://http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6611277

Unfortunantly this will not change anything. The only thing that will put an end to this story is Ronaldo coming out in front of cameras and simply saying

"For the moment I am concentrating on the Euro Championships and doing well for my country. I will then betaking a short holiday and rejoing the Manchester United Squad for pre-season in preperation for our defence of the Premiership and Champions League"

In fact United reporting them will actually give more legs to the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Unfortunantly this will not change anything.

It will. At the very least it will stop Calderon and Schusters daily running commentary on him, which is by far the most annoying thing of this whole story. I'm sick to death of daily press releases from them, or their newspaper, or their Brazilian website. Its a joke.

The whole thing won't go away until we see Ronaldo, live on camera say that hes staying. If Fergie can convince him to stay after the whole Rooney affair, surely he can convince him to stay when we're European Champions....

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    It will. At the very least it will stop Calderon and Schusters daily running commentary on him, which is by far the most annoying thing of this whole story. I'm sick to death of daily press releases from them, or their newspaper, or their Brazilian website. Its a joke.

This will force Calderon and Schuster to release a statement about him and the face Utd have reported them. If dont think this will stop the Marca newspaper, or and website to continue commenting on the situation. FIFA have no control over any of these sites/publications and although it is widely known that Marca have close links with Real, Real can not be help accountable for what they print.

This will serve to only provoke the situation further, and we will be hearing about this for a good few weeks yet (unless Ronaldo decides otherwise).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7445231.stm

Cantonas take on Ronaldo, looks like United have a potentail manager after Ferguson too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement