Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think i read a piece about/from Cantona a few years back where he said he had originally been intersted in management, but feels himself and football have drifted apart in a way the would stop him being a manager. He said he would only become a manager on his terms; at a club that would allow him to follow his own philosophy of football, and he doesn't think he would be able to find a club that would allow him to do it.

I also remember there being talk that fergie offered him a role at the club starting with the kids but nothing ever came of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Dont think Cantona would have any interest in management at the moment anyway, he did say he lost touch with football in that way. dont know myself whether he would be suited to management anyway, id lean towards him not being up to it though if i was having a bet tbh

great player in my eyes, but didnt have the right personality for management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Aaron Ramsey signs for Arsenal.

Only time will tell if its a loss :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Sizzler wrote: »
    Aaron Ramsey signs for Arsenal.

Only time will tell if its a loss :confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/7445528.stm

True, only time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Balls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

oh come on!! what did they offer him that we couldnt? first team football? doubtful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

oh come on!! what did they offer him that we couldnt? first team football? doubtful!

A track record of youngsters being given a chance in the first team squad, which United have been sadly lacking in the last few seasons.

Be it for right or wrong.

The latest examples are Rossi and Pique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Unfortunately there seems to be no room for blooding youngsters especially at the top of the prem league, I don't think Chelsea gave too many opportunities to young reserves.

I don't really see how the problem can be addressed sufficiently IMO, United only had a couple of nothing matches this season and Ferguson did take the opportunity to play the youth, it is a draw back of success I'm afraid.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

DesF wrote: »
    A track record of youngsters being given a chance in the first team squad, which United have been sadly lacking in the last few seasons.

Be it for right or wrong.

The latest examples are Rossi and Pique.
    Exactly - Arsenal struggled for cover this season when Hleb and Rosicky got injured and they've lost flamini. Fabregas gave it 110% and looked physically exhausted at times. For a young budding midfielder Arsenal is definately the better option given that situation.

Beats having to compete with a packed Man U midfield.

ye i suppose you're right, i just wanted a bit of a moan!

fergie: hey arsene we were lookin to sign that kid
    arsene: uuuuh i did not see you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Surely Giggsy should have had a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ah he could be the next Frannie Jefferini anyways

Trilla wrote: »
    Ah he could be the next Frannie Jefferini anyways
    God I forgot he existed. I hated him so much when he was with the arse. So much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

ye i suppose you're right, i just wanted a bit of a moan!

fergie: hey arsene we were lookin to sign that kid
    arsene: uuuuh i did not see you!

I laughed. Although that may be becuase I imagined that exchange in their 'Im on Setanta Sports' voices. :D

I laughed. Although that may be becuase I imagined that exchange in their 'Im on Setanta Sports' voices. :D

exactly, i htink that show helps to make all managers more comical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Sign Villa now please:):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Like the look of him too and was thinking he might be a good addition to our squad but anyones alse think he's a little bit on the small side and maybe a little too like what we have already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

I think him and rooney upfront would be unstopable anyone wana go over to england and beg fergie to sign him?

I'd say he's a bit more concerned with trying to keep our little primadonna at the mo tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

ha i knew ye would be on here talking about villa instamtly, seems a bit fickle no?

• Advertisement

No just that we obviously need a striker and he's after a move to a top club. He's had a good game today. It ain't rocket science pal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It ain't rocket science pal :D

And it isn't rocket since to figure out that Torres can be putting in a word for Liverpool, we have nobody!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

ha i knew ye would be on here talking about villa instamtly, seems a bit fickle no?

Ermm, no because I've been saying since end of last season I wanted Villa.

Liverpool fooled one class striker into joining them, they'll not fool another. :D

Besides, if was moving to England wouldn't you want your first season to involve defending a domestic and european title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

What about Ibrahimovic?

Hes a bigger presence, but if is he enough of a target man to complement rooney and tevez???
    With Drogba prob going to Inter, he might be up for sale..

only1stevo wrote: »
    What about Ibrahimovic?

Hes a bigger presence, but if is he enough of a target man to complement rooney and tevez???
    He was ****e against the pool in the champs league and bar that goal tonight didn't impress me. Not a natural born striker imo.

my 'retro' (94/95, 95/96 seasons) United jerseys arrived today. BLOODY DELIGHTED.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

only1stevo wrote: »
    What about Ibrahimovic?

He signed new contract with Inter which makes him 2nd most payed player on the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

He signed new contract with Inter which makes him 2nd most payed player on the world

Ah well, hes very like Berbatov lots of skill, and a moaner.

• Advertisement

Villa is too similar to what we have already, I'd also hazard a guess and say a few of ye on here would have got a couple of goals against that Russian defense, shocking! As for Liverpool signing him, unless it is on higher purchase it is not going to happen.

Ibrahimovic only plays when he wants to. Extremely talented but by all accounts a moody bollix.

Looks like we are not going to see much of The Hunter in this tournament, which is probably a good thing price wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Boggles wrote: »
    Ibrahimovic only plays when he wants to.

Youtube footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Everyone on about villa but what about david silva, we could do with another winger also. Although striker needs to be top priority.

Wouldnt mind see us shell out for either of them. Yes villa is similar to what we have already but he'll get goals and I think manucho and even keeping mr glass (just incase the virgin mary appears to him and heals him miraciously with a magic sponge) or campbell might be another option. The team plays best with quick players in it. A tall target man is just a seperate dimension we could do with occassionally, doesnt mean we need 2 or 3 of them since we do have one (manucho already). Before anyone says he is unproven - he played well enough for fergie and carlos to sign him during a trial - he scored a good few goals in the AFC, and looked head and shoulders above most of the players he played with and against. Signing an alternative is likely to happen, which would bring our strikeforce to 4. All we need is a consistent goal scorer to be brought in.

Skud wrote: »
    The team plays best with quick players in it. A tall target man is just a seperate dimension we could do with occassionally,

It's not occassionally thou, at least 10 times this season we needed a different option. I believe if we had this option the league would have been well won by the last day.
    Skud wrote: »
    doesnt mean we need 2 or 3 of them since we do have one (manucho already). Before anyone says he is unproven - he played well enough for fergie and carlos to sign him during a trial -

He is completely unproven - We signed Dong from a trial aswell, Manucho is a 25 year old unproven unknown striker - call him what he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Boggles wrote: »
    He is completely unproven - We signed Dong from a trial aswell, Manucho is a 25 year old unproven unknown striker - call him what he is.

Actually we signed Dong as a marketing move. That's why he only gets to play when we do a far east tour.

Actually we signed Dong as a marketing move. That's why he only gets to play when we do a far east tour.

Whatever the reasons, he had the formality of a trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Duno how people can say villa isnt what united need, united need a good finisher, id love to see villa at united, i can undersstand that someone like berbatov might come in handy as a target man with his height and strength but ultimately united need a goalscoring forward, i think villa has that more than most in his bag of tricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He only gets to play when you do a Far East tour because he didn't have a UK work permit, and so wasn't allowed to play in the UK. Hence he played when Man Utd traveled to Asia, South Africa etc.

lol i knew people would start mentioning villa again after they saw him in the euros, thats why i brought him up last week to gauge peoples reaction then. it is funny how fickle football fans can be alright!!

anyway,i stick to my guns on him, i know he isnt a towering target man but i honestly dont think thats neccessarily what we need, im absolutely positive the main attribute our striker needs to have to be signed is finishing ability and he has that in abundance, unfortunately his price will have just shot up a few million after that hattrick.

i was happy when everyone reckoned torres was the best striker in the spanish team, it meant we might have gotten Villa cheaper!

He only gets to play when you do a Far East tour because he didn't have a UK work permit, and so wasn't allowed to play in the UK. Hence he played when Man Utd traveled to Asia, South Africa etc.

oh come off it

oh come off it

I'm not saying Dong is good enough for Man Utd, but I am disputing that the reason he has only played for Utd in Asia/Africa is for marketing. It may have something to do with it, but you can't ignore the legal restrictions placed on him, either.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    lol i knew people would start mentioning villa again after they saw him in the euros, thats why i brought him up last week to gauge peoples reaction then. it is funny how fickle football fans can be alright!!

anyway,i stick to my guns on him, i know he isnt a towering target man but i honestly dont think thats neccessarily what we need, im absolutely positive the main attribute our striker needs to have to be signed is finishing ability and he has that in abundance, unfortunately his price will have just shot up a few million after that hattrick.

i was happy when everyone reckoned torres was the best striker in the spanish team, it meant we might have gotten Villa cheaper!

that's pretty much what i said/meant :D I think SAF is under the impression we need someone who is towering, or at least very good in the air and tall anyway.

I still think silva would be an excellent purchase. There is only a handful of quality wingers available and he is one. Another would be ribery, we didnt go for him when he was available. I think that's the prob with Alex, he doesnt mind sticking to his guns - hence us not getting too many bargins. However when certain players become available you should at least try to get them :D Before anderson and nani are mentioned - they were long term targets. I mean players who he would/could buy and they would be excellent for the club but arent always on the market - therefore never considered a target.

Hughes did it with Santa Cruz for example :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Oh no. Ronaldo was spotted talking to Real fitness coach (who was our fitness coach for three years and practically built Ronaldo) in last Jan. He is definitely going now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Tauren wrote: »
    my 'retro' (94/95, 95/96 seasons) United jerseys arrived today. BLOODY DELIGHTED.

Where did ya get them?

I am waiting for my 94 Fa Cup final shirt ordered last week.

Oh no. Ronaldo was spotted talking to Real fitness coach (who was our fitness coach for three years and practically built Ronaldo) in last Jan. He is definitely going now.

It's alright - We can sign this guy instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-LNhRKwqI

Where did ya get them?

I am waiting for my 94 Fa Cup final shirt ordered last week.
    Got them off ebay.

The diamond sleved one his a little thread pull on the front of the jersey, at 'six-pack' level (:D) and the faded OT one has a pluck or two on the back, but given how old they are they are in great condition. Cost me about €40 for the two of them I think, which ain't half bad.

Can't wait to play football on Thursday now!

kryogen wrote: »

Nobody suggested we needed a towering target man, but if we sign Villa we will have a front line of basically midgets.

I wouldn't be getting too carried away with Villa, he did very well last night but he was up against the 2 worst centre halves I have seen in some time.

It reminds me of the former Argentina manager, who resisted calls to play Messi, Aguero, Tevez, Macherano and Crespo in the same team, saying he couldn't field a team of 'the seven dwarves' :)

mine too!! same jerseys and all, ebay ftw!
    The diamond sleved one his a little thread pull on the front of the jersey, at 'six-pack' level (:D) and the faded OT one has a pluck or two on the back, but given how old they are they are in great condition. Cost me about €40 for the two of them I think, which ain't half bad.!

dude -rip off, the diamond sleeved one i got for £4 (plus £9 p&p) and the old trafford one i got for £8 (plus £4 p&p) with the exchxnge rate as it is i got the 2 of them, size large, in mint condition for a shade under €30!! deeeeee-lighted! :D

I got extra large, ya shrimp. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I reiterate my calls for Villa... He's a great finisher and I think with Rooney linking up with him and Tevez the terrier behind him he'd fit in brilliantly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement