Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cescy boy wants him at L'Arse too!

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/06/11/manual_084430.html

"He would be amazing for the English league," Fabregas said of Villa.

"I would like to have him in my team because as you can see he can make the difference.

"He's an amazing player. He has mobility, he scores goals. He plays well at the back of defenders, in front of them, he's a tremendous player."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Boggles wrote: »
    Nobody suggested we needed a towering target man, but if we sign Villa we will have a front line of basically midgets.

I wouldn't be getting too carried away with Villa, he did very well last night but he was up against the 2 worst centre halves I have seen in some time.

its hilarious to think he was being touted as one of the best strikers in the world until this season ,when Valencia were so poor but he still managed 22 goals (18 in the league and 5 assists) and people are questioning his ability. i have wanted villa for 3 years now, not just since he scored a hattrick v russia

im not getting carried away on one performance, i stated he would be a great signing before the euros began. also, he was spains top scorer in the qualifying too with 7 goals in 10 starts, 11 games overall

the guy is a class act, he is a bit small,but so is Messi! so was Maradona! why rule players out due to size? we will have Manucho who im sure can do the battering ram job if needed, even peter crouch can do it ffs! its not the main focus of our attack. we need a clinical finisher and Villas career average is roughly a goal every 2 games. that would do me

the rumours are actually that he has already been signed by Madrid and they will announce it after the Euros

EDIT: also, on the subject of the other fella, sure a meeting in january isnt really gonna have much bearing now is it tbh. just a bit of possible evidence for united and a last straw to grasp at for papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

He only gets to play when you do a Far East tour because he didn't have a UK work permit, and so wasn't allowed to play in the UK. Hence he played when Man Utd traveled to Asia, South Africa etc.

didnt he play against chelsea at stamford bridge last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Tauren wrote: »
    I got extra large, ya shrimp. :D

extra large was goin for cheaper than the large ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

extra large was goin for cheaper than the large ones!
    Screw it! I got my jerseys - stop pissin on my parade! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

kryogen wrote: »
    its hilarious to think he was being touted as one of the best strikers in the world until this season ,when Valencia were so poor but he still managed 22 goals (18 in the league and 5 assists) and people are questioning his ability. i have wanted villa for 3 years now, not just since he scored a hattrick v russia

You have to look at his striker partners thou, Morientes and Torres 2 players that are 6-1 and supremely talented at bringing the rest of the team into the game.
    im not getting carried away on one performance, i stated he would be a great signing before the euros began. also, he was spains top scorer in the qualifying too with 7 goals in 10 starts, 11 games overall

That group contained Latvia, Iceland and Liechtenstein, Healy for NI got 13 goals in qualifying. Wouldn't gauge much from that to be honest.
    the guy is a class act, he is a bit small,but so is Messi! so was Maradona! why rule players out due to size?

No doubt the guy is class, but he is not better than what we have at the moment.
    we will have Manucho who im sure can do the battering ram job if needed,

No one knows what Manucho is like, he is a gamble plain and simple.
    the rumours are actually that he has already been signed by Madrid and they will announce it after the Euros

Hopefully these rumours are true, because we can get strikers that are much better suited to what we need for the same or less money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Huntelaar speaking about Real Madrid:

"I do not know what will happen next at the moment. It is true that there has been a ot of talk about me going to Real Madrid and that would be thrilling because they are such a great club, but I do not know anything about it," he explained.

"The only thing I know is that I am an Ajax player and if Real Madrid, or any other team, want to sign me then they have to speak to my current club first."

"I know quite a lot about the club because my Dutch team-mates, Van Nistelrooy, Robben and Sneijder, are all there.

"They have told me that the club is incredible, that the city is fantastic, that the Bernabéu is a great place to play and that they are happy."

Boom

Huntelaar speaking about Real Madrid:

"I do not know what will happen next at the moment. It is true that there has been a ot of talk about me going to Real Madrid and that would be thrilling because they are such a great club, but I do not know anything about it," he explained.

"The only thing I know is that I am an Ajax player and if Real Madrid, or any other team, want to sign me then they have to speak to my current club first."

"I know quite a lot about the club because my Dutch team-mates, Van Nistelrooy, Robben and Sneijder, are all there.

"They have told me that the club is incredible, that the city is fantastic, that the Bernabéu is a great place to play and that they are happy."

Boom

Wouldn't it be sweet to keep Ronaldo and grab this fella too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Tauren wrote: »
    Screw it! I got my jerseys - stop pissin on my parade! :D

haha sorry mate! i have to say gettin those jerseys brought me back, i got serious football flashbacks....and i cannot wear the old trafford one without putting the collers up....just cant do it! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'd be surprised if we managed to sign Villa. Firstly, he'd probably go Real Madrid or Barca ahead of a move to the Premier League. Secondly, (assuming he doesn't go to an Italian club, and as much as it pains me to say it) he's more likely to go to Arsenal or Liverpool (because of Spanish connections, and a guaranteed start) ahead of United.

*cough* ok Boggles, you have your point of view and i understand it, i just have a different one. i would like to point out though that i hope you are not advocating buying luis fabiano then, he also plays off a target man and doesnt seem to play as well at all when Kanoute isnt there.

i dont think we necessarily need a battering ram. im not saying we shouldnt have one. im just saying its not a definitive answer. Villa, and a few other strikers on the market at the moment would be great for the club in my view as they are proven clinical finishers, its the most important attribute a strike runited buy needs. we will create chances we just need someone to finish them

the absence of an out and out striker was felt this season, but not the absence of a Peter Crouch type who i would never want to see at united, its like the team would be going backwards imo. the team is built on quick movement and passing on the ground at the moment, the signings of Tevez, Nani, Anderson etc all highlight that, we dont play long ball football enough to have a great need for a big target man

but we do have a great need for a clinical finisher, someone who will be the poacher, someone who will finish the slick passing moves off.

it can be Villa, it could be Eto'o, it doesnt need to be an unproven at the highest level imo guy from Holland just cause hes tall

Oh please God let this be true!!!!

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=97740

not the best source or anything, but speculation is a good thing!

also there is talk that David Gill may finally be ready to buckle and re negotiate the image rights in Ronaldos contract, this seems to be the catalyst for the action this summer. Ronaldo wants more financial control over the cr7 brand

links when i back later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

*cough* ok Boggles, you have your point of view and i understand it, i just have a different one. i would like to point out though that i hope you are not advocating buying luis fabiano then, he also plays off a target man and doesnt seem to play as well at all when Kanoute isnt there.

i dont think we necessarily need a battering ram. im not saying we shouldnt have one. im just saying its not a definitive answer. Villa, and a few other strikers on the market at the moment would be great for the club in my view as they are proven clinical finishers, its the most important attribute a strike runited buy needs. we will create chances we just need someone to finish them

the absence of an out and out striker was felt this season, but not the absence of a Peter Crouch type who i would never want to see at united, its like the team would be going backwards imo. the team is built on quick movement and passing on the ground at the moment, the signings of Tevez, Nani, Anderson etc all highlight that, we dont play long ball football enough to have a great need for a big target man

but we do have a great need for a clinical finisher, someone who will be the poacher, someone who will finish the slick passing moves off.

it can be Villa, it could be Eto'o, it doesnt need to be an unproven at the highest level imo guy from Holland just cause hes tall

I agree. Ronaldo has had that role last season and obviously it worked really well, but its noticable when he's not playing that we create a lot of chances without finishing them off. Can someone remind me which match it was in which Ronaldo wasn't playing, but United played a stormer anyway (and particular Hargreaves, who started playing really well as a winger)? It was towards the end of the season. Whatever match it was, I remember thinking that if we had someone who can, as you say, finish off the slick passing move, we wouldn't be as reliant on Ronaldo.
    Ronaldo is brilliant, but he's better at finishing moves that starting them. It's usually Rooney, Tevez or part of the central midfield who assist. We need someone who can play as an orthodox striker if needed.

Stop saying a "Peter Crouch type player" and "Battering Ram". Just because you are over 6 foot, doesn't make you any less of a clincial finisher, the players I have in mind are Huntalear, Benzema.

Look at the top 20 goal scorers in the premier league this season, we have 3 of them and the vast majority of them are 6 foot plus.

If we sign Villa, no doubt he will get his 15 goals, but what will invariably happen is he will be fouled every second time he gets the ball, which leads to a United free kick, which slows down the game and more often than not ends in nothing. Unless Ronaldo hammers it in or gets on the end of it.

Hope that *cough* clears up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

also there is talk that David Gill may finally be ready to buckle and re negotiate the image rights in Ronaldos contract, this seems to be the catalyst for the action this summer. Ronaldo wants more financial control over the cr7 brand

links when i back later

That would be just mindblowing if someone were to offer than kinda money for Saha.
    Mindblowing.
    £8m for someone who is made of glass

• Advertisement

im sure it will someday, the cough that is

but its all you seem interested in, if the guy isnt tall he isnt worth it apparently

Benzema is more like Henry then Drogba, he likes to attack from wide positions, coming deep to get the ball, not a target man. i know he did play up top on his own against united, but he had to come deep to receive the ball!

huntelaar isnt proven and i wouldnt want to be taking a chance on him for the money it would be costing, if he turned out like Kuyt or Kezman i would literally break down and cry. i think he may turn into a real quality striker, but he needs to gain experience and he isnt getting it, he seems happy to stay in the dutch league, and isnt going to get much of a look in at the euros by the looks of it, with RVN, RVP and co as long as they stay fit

he is a strong lad, does Tevez go down every second time he touches the ball? Rooney? jesus ronaldo is over 6 foot and built like a tank but he hits the ground every second time hes touched!

but its all you seem interested in, if the guy isnt tall he isnt worth it apparently

I'm not saying tall, but physical. What you seem to think is if a player is big he is not clinical.

Villa would be limited in league that is much more physical than what he is used to, my point is you can get the whole package. IMO Villa is not better than Tevez or Rooney, why buy a similar but lesser player than what we have already.
    Benzema is more like Henry then Drogba, he likes to attack from wide positions, coming deep to get the ball, not a target man. i know he did play up top on his own against united, but he had to come deep to receive the ball!

So Benzema wouldn't fit our style of play???
    huntelaar isnt proven and i wouldnt want to be taking a chance on him for the money it would be costing, if he turned out like Kuyt or Kezman i would literally break down and cry.

If another person mentions Huntelaar and Kuyt in the same sentance again, I will visit ye. :D

I'm not saying tall, but physical. What you seem to think is if a player is big he is not clinical.

Villa would be limited in league that is much more physical than what he is used to, my point is you can get the whole package. IMO Villa is not better than Tevez or Rooney, why buy a similar but lesser player than what we have already.

Villa is a lot more clinical than either Tevez or Rooney but is not as physical or strong
    Playing Villa, Tevez and Rooney doesnt make all that much sense.
    They are all extremely similiar, a more potent attack would have someone like
    Drogba or Berbatov who could hold the ball up for players like Tevez and Rooney.
    Would give United an extra dimension which they currently do not have.
    Quick counter attacking is great but there sometimes needs to be a plan B.

If another person mentions Huntelaar and Kuyt in the same sentance again, I will visit ye. :D

Why?
    A quick comparison shows they are the same height, have similiar goal to games
    ratios in the Dutch league and have similiar reputations.
    If you were to compare anyone to Huntelaar it would be Kuyt.
    He is a good player but he is no RVN

Bloody hell

What calibre is Bolton's medical team? They're gonna be kept busy for the forseeable future if this goes through :D

Maybe they could develop a steel endoskeleton to replace his current internals!

• Advertisement

IrishMike wrote: »
    Why?
    A quick comparison shows they are the same height,
    have similiar goal to games

Huntalear has twice the goal scoring ratio of Kuyt.

Kuyt scored 71 in 101 games for Feyenoord
    Huntelaar scored 70 in 82 for Ajax.
    Granted a better ratio but not twice the level.
    Both are outstanding returns by any standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

links when i back later
    I remember hearing after they sold Anelka to Chelsea that they put a bid in for Saha in january so I could see some truth in it. Although I couldnt see it being a staight up 8 million deal, surely it would have to be based on appearances, so in reality we would be lucky to get £10 of the £8 million being offered! ;)

Why?
    have similiar goal to games
    ratios in the Dutch league
    Kuyt scored 71 in 101 games for Feyenoord
    Huntelaar scored 70 in 82 for Ajax.
    Granted a better ratio but not twice the level.
    Both are outstanding returns by any standards

Kuyt 261/122

Huntelaar 173/130

Can we put Kuyt has a similar goal scoring record to Huntelaar myth to bed now please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Bloody hell

What calibre is Bolton's medical team? They're gonna be kept busy for the forseeable future if this goes through :D

Maybe they could develop a steel endoskeleton to replace his current internals!

i dont know how true the figure is but 8mill seems a bit high. West ham were credited with a 5million interest awhile back. They are the premiership rehabilitation centre after all (unsuccessful) :D Rumor has it close to 10 was offered in January. He still is a class player if he's fit. Big if though.

Benzema is not coming no matter what happens at this stage. Huntelaar could possibly be unreal - he hasnt done it to same level at international level which is worrying, but still seems better than that foxy horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Santa Cruz is 27, I think he'd be a great purchase at <10m

Klose soon 30 years old... Has 3 seasons probably left in him. Would he be tempted to go to the premiership?

Skud wrote: »
    he hasnt done it to same level at international level which is worrying, but still seems better than that foxy horse.

12 Games 7 goals

Under 21 - 22 Games 18 goals.

The guy is a scoring machine, the only question being can he step it up a level, he is 24, now is the time to take the chance IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

12 Games 7 goals

Under 21 - 22 Games 18 goals.

The guy is a scoring machine, the only question being can he step it up a level, he is 24, now is the time to take the chance IMO.

i heard that opinion somewhere - must have been sky or something :) Shoulda checked the stats. He should be good enough alright. :) I'd say its between him fabiano and santa for us next season - unless someone is pulled from left field somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Wouldnt mind fabiano, by no means is he a scorer of fantastic goals but he does have a finishers touch, always seems to pop up in good places and scores quite a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

curry-muff wrote: »
    Wouldnt mind fabiano, by no means is he a scorer of fantastic goals but he does have a finishers touch, always seems to pop up in good places and scores quite a lot

I think Fabiano would flop tbh

• Advertisement

Skud wrote: »
    i heard that opinion somewhere - must have been sky or something :) Shoulda checked the stats. He should be good enough alright. :) I'd say its between him fabiano and santa for us next season - unless someone is pulled from left field somewhere.

No sky have no dutch football so it couldn't be them.

Ferguson on record as saying he is an admirer of Huntalear, plus I'd prefer Santa to Fabiano. :D

Kuyt 261/122

Huntelaar 173/130

Can we put Kuyt has a similar goal scoring record to Huntelaar myth to bed now please.

now that post is simply pathetic even by your standards tbh

and in reply to your other statements to me earlier, where have i ever said if you are tall you arent clinical, pics or it never happened rules apply

you are using Benzema as an example of the type of different option we need, i am simply pointing out he is not an out and out striker, he is in fact similar to Rooney and Tevez also! just like Villa shock horror!

i cant remember the rest so meh

Explain, swiftly?

bloody hell.... bunch of oul ones...

and in reply to your other statements to me earlier, where have i ever said if you are tall you arent clinical, pics or it never happened rules apply

you are using Benzema as an example of the type of different option we need, i am simply pointing out he is not an out and out striker, he is in fact similar to Rooney and Tevez also! just like Villa shock horror!

i cant remember the rest so meh

What the hell are you talking about, you quoted Huntaler V Kuyt goal scoring record in the dutch league and then preceed to waffle that.

Are you typing with your elbows? :p

swiftly.....

you are including huntelaars goals from a lower league of the dutch football league to improve his stats

in fairness cant you read?

i separated my points by saying, in response to your earlier comments, i dont feel the need to keep making new posts to get my post count up, ill happily just edit a post to include a little more info

read the post a couple of times in future, maybe you'll understand things about context then

lads this domestic is wrecking the buzz, PM each other ffs

what is this buzz that you speak of?

i was not informed of this buzz

tell me where i can purchase some and we can all enjoy the buzz together!!!

:)

me and boggles just bounce off each other tbh, he tends to have a different opinion to me, and even though that makes him wrong alot it doesnt mean he shouldnt be allowed to voice his opinions! ;)

its the internet, dont take it so seriously mate

swiftly.....

you are including huntelaars goals from a lower league of the dutch football league to improve his stats

No actually I left them in on purpose because if you remove those goals and games his ratio improves.

1st Divison Dutch League - Huntalear

128 Played - 104 Goals

I don't have to be anyway sly to remove his stats, they are there and they speak for themselves.
    in fairness cant you read?

i separated my points by saying, in response to your earlier comments, i dont feel the need to keep making new posts to get my post count up, ill happily just edit a post to include a little more info

read the post a couple of times in future, maybe you'll understand things about context then

Still no idea what your waffling about, but it's okay.

The jist is I think that I disagreed with you that Villa would not be a suitable signing for United and you took exception.

We will agree to disagree then. ;)

• Advertisement

aye, so thats that domestic over, till the next one lets all enjoy the buzz together, i presume Dave will be sharing his since he hasnt told us where to buy some?

:D

lads this domestic is wrecking the buzz, PM each other ffs

Group Hug. :D

I'm glad I could help you resolve the dispute :D Unfortunately because of your cheek, I'll have to keep the buzz all for myself! If esteban comes by, he can have some too, but otherwise it's all miiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnneeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I'm glad I could help you resolve the dispute :D Unfortunately because of your cheek, I'll have to keep the buzz all for myself! If esteban comes by, he can have some too, but otherwise it's all miiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnneeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! :D

He won't be around any time soon, saw him in xtravision earlier renting Andy Reids Fitness DVD, right now he is at home trying to improve his speed. :pac::pac::pac:

He won't be around any time soon, saw him in xtravision earlier renting Andy Reids Fitness DVD, right now he is at home trying to improve his speed. :pac::pac::pac:

Think he bought a copy of CM 02 when Reid could actually run and is just about to post his stats any minute now!
    Any minute now
    Just you wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

I see Scolari has been made Chelski boss and with him making comments last week about how Ronaldo should go to Real Madrid it's not too surprising.:rolleyes: Typical Chelski they'll stop at nothing to prevent United winning the league next year.

• Advertisement

our lad Ronnie made a telling contribution again tonight actually didnt he, hes having a good tournament. shame he plays in a team with no strikers, dont see them going all the way because of that...well and the defence

Scolari going to Chelsea is a worry, he and Ronaldo are close, and he may be able to use his position to manipulate him

Ce la vie! not much any of us on boards can do anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

No matter how close they are would ronny be stupid enough to move to another country tho?

stupid enough to want to move closer to his family and into a climate that he likes and in a place that would give him a fresh challenge (with the team he has dreamed of playing for since childhood) after pretty much winning everything he can at United?

i wouldnt call him stupid for doing it tbh, as long as its for footballing reasons id understand and thank him. if its about money id be sickened but again, not particularly shocked. although he does seem more motivated by being remembered as the best ever then anything else so i would assume it will be footballing reasons

my brains a bit scattered tonight.

does anyone have any opinion on whether they think Scolari will be able to hack it at Chelsea? training day in day out and having to think about and juggle the leagues and cups they will be expected to win?

i have honestly never been overly impressed by him tactically, i think hes a good man manager though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

I agree he's a good manager but I think it's a hard job for anyone to take. It will be interesting to see how he handles the pressure and weight of expectation from Roman all the way down to the fans.
    I don't think Ronaldo is motivated by anything other than ego first and money second. I'm a huge Utd fan and would hate to see him go but after the way Utd have helped him to devleop as a player and as a man I would be diguested if he was to walk away at such a young age.
    If he was with us 10 years I could understand the need for a new challenge but I don't understand his timing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It's hard to judge club and country in management skills! He's going to be able to bring in whoever he wants as of July 1st so he should be able to do fairly decent!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement