Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Great news about Evra. A key player now for us. Irreplaceable given how good he is at both attacking and defending. Also Im amazed at how he doesnt play more for France.

Apparently Domenech is getting hounded by the media in france over playing abidal ahead of him. Abidal is ropey and isnt half the player evra is.

He's become one of my favourite untied players over the last coulpe of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

After a dissapoining start to the French campaign I can see there being many changes for the next game. Hopefully Evra gets the place his form and improvement over the last two seasons deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

only1stevo wrote: »
    Ye I agree, but the fact that he isnt playing already gives me an idea.
    3rd choice striker for Holland??
    Not so muchos, gracias...

Holland mainly play with one up front, so with the likes of the Cart Horse in front of him, opportunities will be few and far between.

I wouldn't let that put me off, Raul didn't even make the Spanish squad, doesn't mean his shíté.

The time is now to take a chance on the lad IMO, he has been harping about how he would love to play for madrid and relishing the chance to work under Van Basten, triple his wages and I think the mind might start changing.

All transfers have a element of risk to them, it's a fact of football, I have a good feeling about this fella, then again I remember thinking Veron was a fantastic signing. :D

Boggles wrote: »
    Holland mainly play with one up front, so with the likes of the Cart Horse in front of him, opportunities will be few and far between.

I wouldn't let that put me off, Raul didn't even make the Spanish squad, doesn't mean his shíté.

The time is now to take a chance on the lad IMO, he has been harping about how he would love to play for madrid and relishing the chance to work under Van Basten, triple his wages and I think the mind might start changing.

All transfers have a element of risk to them, it's a fact of football, I have a good feeling about this fella, then again I remember thinking Veron was a fantastic signing. :D

he has been quoted as saying he wanted to join us also. He didn't say he prefers madrid over utd. He just said if offer came along from madrid he would strongly consider it. Damn press confusing ppl again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

. Abidal is ropey and isnt half the player evra is.

I'm sorry Gracehopper but I'll have to correct you there. He's not one twenth the player Evra is

Skud wrote: »
    he has been quoted as saying he wanted to join us also.

Really, Excellent. I know Ferguson praised him last year, can't find it thou.

Just get him now and maybe Fabergas, I'd be happy then. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Fantastic news about Evra, its amazing he isnt a starter in the French team. Has to be regarded as one of Fergies best signings at £5.5 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,450 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Skud wrote: »
    he has been quoted as saying he wanted to join us also. He didn't say he prefers madrid over utd. He just said if offer came along from madrid he would strongly consider it. Damn press confusing ppl again.

Linkage??

:D

Tauren wrote: »
    Linkage??

:D

http://www.4thegame.com/features/feature/197548/.html

crappy link but it's from awhile back :)
    "I love clubs with great history like Ajax. I also love United. It's a club that makes me dream, especially as Ruud van Nistelrooy played there and did great things with them. I know certain English clubs are following me, like Manchester United, who are very interested in me."

EDIT: better link: http://www.redcafe.net/f9/huntelaar-wants-play-united-201553/
    http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/05/10/Eredivisie-Huntelaar-agent-on-Man-Utd/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

well if he wants to sign...lets sign him! i think it would be a great signing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I dont, one trick pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Huntleaar could stifle United's quick tempo'd football or else finish off all the moves more clinically, tbh I wouldn't mind him.
    I think he would offer a different option, depending on price I'd go for him if Benzema and Villa were unattainable

Smegball wrote: »
    Huntleaar could stifle United's quick tempo'd football or else finish off all the moves more clinically, tbh I wouldn't mind him.
    I think he would offer a different option, depending on price I'd go for him if Benzema and Villa were unattainable

ye i'd agree with that!but with the euros showcasing the best players (not like they used to but still pretty strongly) prices are gonna seriously escalate!

ye i'd agree with that!but with the euros showcasing the best players (not like they used to but still pretty strongly) prices are gonna seriously escalate!

Ye good point, but id rather pay an extra 5m for a player that plays well in the euros than a benchwarmer...

Villa will be 25-30m by now I'd say especially with Chelsea looking interested.
    Benzema will be the same, but I doubt he will come to England yet anyways.
    Huntleaar Im guessing would be about 12-18m? That wouldn't be bad I'd say, considering the other option would be Berbatov who would cost around the same as Villa and Benzema.

Villa will be 25-30m by now I'd say especially with Chelsea looking interested.
    Benzema will be the same, but I doubt he will come to England yet anyways.
    Huntleaar Im guessing would be about 12-18m? That wouldn't be bad I'd say, considering the other option would be Berbatov who would cost around the same as Villa and Benzema.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_3680370,00.html

tbh i think if we can get villa for 25m it wouldnt be all that bad! if the money was there id say go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Superb bit of bastardry by Van der Sar

Taken from the Guardian's Fiver

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Wait, wait, can I just ask one more question, I've just taken a five-and-a-half-hour train journey to get here?" - Sky Sports News reporter Gary Cotterril bursts into this afternoon's Dutch press conference just as it is ending.

"Edwin [van der Sar], do you think it would be a bad move for Cristiano Ronaldo to leave Manchester United?" - Sky Sports News reporter Gary Cotterril is allowed to ask his question.

"I'm only here to talk about the Dutch team. Sorry about your journey" - Van der Sar's response.

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Fair Play Ed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

tbh i think if we can get villa for 25m it wouldnt be all that bad! if the money was there id say go for it!

of course the money is there but we need a tall striker. someone who can be a target man as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

"Wait, wait, can I just ask one more question, I've just taken a five-and-a-half-hour train journey to get here?" - Sky Sports News reporter Gary Cotterril bursts into this afternoon's Dutch press conference just as it is ending.

"Edwin [van der Sar], do you think it would be a bad move for Cristiano Ronaldo to leave Manchester United?" - Sky Sports News reporter Gary Cotterril is allowed to ask his question.

"I'm only here to talk about the Dutch team. Sorry about your journey" - Van der Sar's response.

LOL! that's hilarious, :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Did Ronaldo actually say this ? Hes just adding fuel to the fire with comments like this. He really loves the attention.
    He once again hinted at his fondness for Real Madrid after helping Portugal to a 3-1 win over the Czech Republic on Wednesday night.

"I like a white kit," he said to the assembled reporters, before qualifying his statement.

"The white kit of the national team that is."

Tusky wrote: »
    Did Ronaldo actually say this ? Hes just adding fuel to the fire with comments like this. He really loves the attention.
    He is probaly annoyed that Scoalri is taking all his headlines today. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

I'm frickin delighted that Paddy Evra's signed a new deal. Still can't understand how he's not 1st choice for France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It is truly mind-boggling how he is behind Abidal. Absolutely delighted he's signed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    we need a tall striker. someone who can be a target man as well.

Do we though?! Do we not have enough players that can work the ball along the ground?! Seemed to work well for us last season!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Do we though?! Do we not have enough players that can work the ball along the ground?! Seemed to work well for us last season!
    We need a top class finisher imo, if he can head the ball all well and good but a striker with top class preditory instincts should be top priority.

We need a top class finisher imo, if he can head the ball all well and good but a striker with top class preditory instincts should be top priority.
    Well I don't think that is what Berbatov would provide!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I agree, i dont think for the money he would be really worth it. Id love to see either Villa or Santa Cruz.

Possibly not but he will provide us with other options and he isnt a bad finisher by any means, he wouldnt be my first choice though. Eto'o would be the man Id love us to go for, he isnt small at 5'11, he's quick and he is brilliant finisher. Although he has been injury prone in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    of course the money is there but we need a tall striker. someone who can be a target man as well.

even still, villa is a top quality striker. having him in your team would be very good, i know id love to see villa at utd.

by the way what does people think of podolski joining united. i think he's a deadly foward

Wouldn't particulary want Podolski tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Wouldn't particulary want Podolski tbh

Yeah i agree ,he hasn't performed well in the champions league either then again his style may favour the the premier league but i would love to see berbatov and tevez up front with rooney behind them , i think rooney suits the role paul scholes plays.

brennaldo wrote: »
    by the way what does people think of podolski joining united. i think he's a deadly foward

Not good enough for us when he can't get a game at Bayern!

• Advertisement

i think rooney suits the role paul scholes plays.

Huh? Which match did you see him play centre mid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Huh? Which match did you see him play centre mid?

I dont think he means that exactly. He means in the hole, Schoes played that in his younger years.

Tusky wrote: »

Again, put out of proportion, Ronaldo was taking the mick out of the spanish reporters.
    He was asked about Madrid, he said"I must say i do look good in white", que spanish reporters buzzing with excitement expecting an announcement, Ronaldo"But only that of my national team"...

Funny guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

on the ronaldo thing....i really think you lads would stick up for anything he did!

he found the time to take the mick out of him playing for Real next season, but yet was too concentrated on the Euros to say if he wants to stay and clarify if those previous quotes were made up (as utd fans want to believe), or if he will be at utd next year?

those quotes are definately real. and he is treating utd fans with complete disrecpect and toying with them almost.

the lad is a disgrace. end of story.

Trilla wrote: »
    I dont think he means that exactly. He means in the hole, Schoes played that in his younger years.

Scholes exlusively played off the striker when Ferguson hadn't a clue what to make of him. He played there again maybe a dozen times, more often than not he was actually quite poor when he was pushed that far forward.

His best work was never done in the hole which I understand just to be off the striker, he was the quintessential attacking midfielder something afforded to him by having Keane to mop up, but a midfielder none the less.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »

Yeah i think it would suit the team as over the next couple of years scholes will be appearing less and less, they already had the scare this year and having berbatov and tevez in front of him will allow him play just behind him.Personally i dont think rooney is an out and out striker and he is more use in the hole but having bebbatov would give another attcking strenght to the team and i think he and tevez would compliment each other well.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    end of story.

Hardly!

well it should be. he is making clowns out of your club.

Hardly!

lol true .I guess he's a liverpool fan

on the ronaldo thing....i really think you lads would stick up for anything he did!

he found the time to take the mick out of him playing for Real next season, but yet was too concentrated on the Euros to say if he wants to stay and clarify if those previous quotes were made up (as utd fans want to believe), or if he will be at utd next year?

those quotes are definately real. and he is treating utd fans with complete disrecpect and toying with them almost.

the lad is a disgrace. end of story.

But its not about the fans, and you dont know the guy personally.
    The press have been disrespectful enough to him in the past few years.
    He owes the fans NOTHING, absolutely nothing.
    Whether or not he owes fergie anything is a personal matter.
    He has put nothing but 100percent in for united in his time here.
    He is obviously unsure about his future, would you turn down 300k a week?
    Im not going to hop on the hes an "asshole" bandwagon because i dont know the guy and until he stops producing it on the pitch, hes a brilliant player, for United or Real.

I reckon half the fans think Ronaldo is betraying "them", hes not. They are United fans, they support the team,win or lose, one players attitude shouldnt effect that.

Gerrard made a fool out of your club a couple of years ago not knowing whether or wheter not he might just go to chelsea

Haha! Poor United Clowns. I'm sure Ferguson is sitting on the floor of the trophy room sobbing, Stop stirring **** Master. Alan, your talking about the best club in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

if ronaldo was to leave united, who would you like to see come in, theres been rumours of the portugees player quaresma coming in

only1stevo wrote: »
    He owes the fans NOTHING, absolutely nothing.

He owes the fans who have paid his wages for the last few years nothing? Sang his name all last year when he was being booed everywhere in England nothing?

are you for real?

He owes them respect.

Gerrard made a fool out of your club a couple of years ago not knowing whether or wheter not he might just go to chelsea

wrong thread mate, Liverpool thread is >>>>> that way

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055299857&page=98

although i wouldnt imagine the patrons there or the mods would take kindly to you bringing up a topic that is 2 years old and was done to death at that time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement