Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Ronaldo does do a lot for the club .My uncle has special needs.He and his care group went to old trafford and he signed lots of autographs and took pictures and just talked to them .He has a cocky attidude playing football but that because he knows he can do it.He doesnt owe united anything just like united didnt owe beckham van nistelrooy and stam anything.
    If i didnt know he did this sort of thing for people, i would also think he was a twat but i think hes ok and what ever he choose sto do it wont mean anything.At the end of the day its his life to do what he wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He owes the fans who have paid his wages for the last few years nothing? Sang his name all last year when he was being booed everywhere in England nothing?

are you for real?

He owes them respect.

Could be worse thou, Glazier could be sitting in his rocking chair beside his open fire waxing lyrical about something that is no longer a football club but a way of getting even.

Or one of the Glazier juniors could be in a hotel holding open interviews for Fergusons job.

It would always be worse Master Alan, Could always be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Boggles wrote: »
    Could be worse thou, Glazier could be sitting in his rocking chair beside his open fire waxing lyrical about something that is no longer a football club but a way of getting even.

Or one of the Glazier juniors could be in a hotel holding open interviews for Fergusons job.

It would always be worse Master Alan, Could always be worse.

again, >>>>>> that way

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...299857&page=98

are you not able to discuss things or do you just wanna stir trouble by talking about things of no relevence to this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Would the fans be singing his name if he was crap?
    No, end of story, they love him because hes the best player in the premiership by a long shot.

Hahahaha, your a liverpool fan, should have known, jealousy really wont get you guys anywhere.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-400494/Transfer-saga-sent-Gerrard-brink.html

we havent seen the jersey burning, all brought about because of gerrards inability to say yay or nay......

Why don't you head back there and bring that large shíté stirring spoon with you.

Ronaldo owes the fans?

The 42 goals he scored this year and the 2 trophies are plenty for me thanks. He has been instrumental in 2 back to back prem league and the CL, but not only that, if he goes we get 80 odd million aswell, I think you are looking at this the wrong way, he will be getting a thank you card from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

only1stevo wrote: »

Again, this is off topic! this is the Utd thread, but i doubt you even read the article you posted, it actually shows the difference between Ronaldo and Gerrard, do you think Ronaldo gives a ****e?Gerrard certainly did

but no more posts about Liverpool please, this is the Utd thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Ricardo Quaresma claims to have signed for a big club, but refuses to name the club.
    "I have signed for a big club but I cannot say more than that,"
    http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=733575

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ronaldo owes the fans?

The 42 goals he scored this year and the 2 trophies are plenty for me thanks. He has been instrumental in 2 back to back prem league and the CL, but not only that, if he goes we get 80 odd million aswell, I think you are looking at this the wrong way, he will be getting a thank you card from me.

He's getting a thank you card from me too. Here's the tentatitive first draft...

Dear Cris,

I'd like to thank you for showing the club that stood by you when you were enduring severe abuse absolutely zero respect. I knew you were up your own arse but damn man. Couldn't you have gone about things in a better way? For the fans? For the guy who did so much for you Sir Alex Ferguson. For the kids that look up to you and have your name on their shirts? Are you that up your own arse? If so, sayonara mate. You've a chance at being a United hero but you want to be a Madrid mercenary. Strange logic. I fear you will come to regret your decision.

Best wishes,

Baffled United supporter.

PS I was wondering...if you were to get injured prior to returning to Old Trafford to put the finishing touches to your bumper contract, say you suffered a cruciate ligament injury, do you think Madrid would still be keen on you? Would you still be a top priority? Because I think everyone at Manchester United would stick by you. Would they though? Something to think about perhaps. The grasss isn't always greener on the other side.

He's getting a thank you card from me too. Here's the tentatitive first draft...

Dear Cris,

I'd like to thank you for showing the club that stood by you when you were enduring severe abuse absolutely zero respect. I knew you were up your own arse but damn man. Couldn't you have gone about things in a better way? For the fans? For the guy who did so much for you Sir Alex Ferguson. For the kids that look up to you and have your name on their shirts? Are you that up your own arse? If so, sayonara mate. You've a chance at being a United hero but you want to be a Madrid mercenary. Strange logic. I fear you will come to regret your decision.

Best wishes,

Baffled United supporter.

PS I was wondering...if you were to get injured prior to returning to Old Trafford to put the finishing touches to your bumper contract, say you suffered a cruciate ligament injury, do you think Madrid would still be keen on you? Would you still be a top priority? Because I think everyone at Manchester United would stick by you. Would they though? Something to think about perhaps. The grasss isn't always greener on the other side.

When men are full of envy they disparage everything, whether it be good or bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Ricardo Quaresma claims to have signed for a big club, but refuses to name the club.

http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=733575

If it was a Premiership team would be Liverpool or Chelsea, with the whole Scolari era taking over, I say it's likely a Spanish team though.
    Could also be the first signing of the Mourinho era at Inter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

When men are full of envy they disparage everything, whether it be good or bad.

Yes I agree with you. Ronaldo should stop thinking in monetary terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Again, this is off topic! this is the Utd thread, but i doubt you even read the article you posted, it actually shows the difference between Ronaldo and Gerrard, do you think Ronaldo gives a ****e?Gerrard certainly did

but no more posts about Liverpool please, this is the Utd thread.

are you trying to get a job at modding?

if so, this isnt the right way, if not then stop backseat modding!

you know you get stick whenever you come here as you tend to only show up to say something negative!

(even though we both know your a MUFC fan for life) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

kryogen wrote: »
    are you trying to get a job at modding?

if so, this isnt the right way, if not then stop backseat modding!

you know you get stick whenever you come here as you tend to only show up to say something negative!

(even though we both know your a MUFC fan for life) ;)

if you have a problem with his post then report it, no need to air your ego here,

anyone have any opinions on the Ramos/Robinho rumours?

Ji-Sun Park is out of Turkmenistan match with injured knee, the same one that he had surgery on april before last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

if you have a problem with his post then report it, no need to air your ego here,

Ramos wouldn't be a bad option for right back, ignoring his poor performance for Spain there, he's still a quality right back IMO
    I'm a big fan of Robinho, he would be a good player to have at OT, but if he's a replacement for Ronaldo I would'nt be overly excited, would be replacing our best player with a extremely talented but inconsistent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Smegball wrote: »
    would be replacing our best player with a extremely talented but inconsistent player.

Not last season! He was pretty consistent over the course of the season. Not Ronaldo obviously but he'd be a pretty decent option and phsically he'd have no problem adjusting to the prem.

I think you guys are giving Mr. Alan a bit of a hard time, he's not saying anything that a clatter of United fans haven't been saying for the past 20 pages or so!! :o Who someone supports isn't the issue when they give an opinion (so long as it's not trolling and it wasn't)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ji-Sun Park is out of Turkmenistan match with injured knee, the same one that he had surgery on april before last.

Linkage please!!

:D

I think Ramos would be a great buy, a goal scoring right back - would spend a good few games on the bench through getting carded though!

Not sure about Robinho - he'd be a decent player to have at the club, but no way would he be a replacement for Ronaldo and I would actually have concerns over whether he could adapt to the physical nature of the premiership.

I don't put much weight in the rumours in any case - neither deal could happen without Ronaldo going to Real, and I would be surprised to see Real let Ramos go (or Ramos want to go) regardless of what happens with Ronaldo.

About as clear as a Cristiano Ronaldo interview....

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=734481

Sergio Ramos has admitted that he is flattered that Manchester United are reportedly interested in his services, but stated that he is only thinking about playing for Spain.

The Real Madrid defender has been the subject of an enquiry from the Red Devils, according to his agent, Pedro Bravo, but leaving the Bernabéu has not crossed his mind.

Marca claimed earlier this week that United had made their interest in both Ramos and Robinho known and that is no bad thing, according to the defender.

"It is a good sign that such big teams are interested in me, but not I have no ideas about that," Ramos said.

"I have a good contract with Madrid and I am focussed on the Spanish team. When the European Championships finish we can see what happens."

Bravo explained that he reports of him having been in England were not wide of the mark, but did not mean that anything was going on with Manchester United,

"One thing I would ask is what clubs are not interested in a player like Sergio Ramos?" he asked.

"It is true that on Monday I was in England. I have a good relationship with Manchester United, it was not for nothing that Ricardo spent so much time there."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

kmart6 wrote: »
    Not good enough for us when he can't get a game at Bayern!

that doesnt really mean anything

sure mascherano couldnt get a game at west ham?

event wrote: »
    that doesnt really mean anything

sure mascherano couldnt get a game at west ham?
    Well, part of the reason he wants to leae Bayern is cause he spends a decent amount of time on the bench - that wouldn't really be improved upon at United.

He isn't a player i'd be disappointed signing - seems to be a very good finisher, and decent passer of the ball. My german friends think he is over-rated and that he has gone backwards a bit since he signed for Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Tauren wrote: »
    Marca claimed earlier this week that United had made their interest in both Ramos and Robinho known and that is no bad thing, according to the defender.
    [/b]

ie. Marca try and talk up the chance of United taking a clown and the tea lady for Ronaldo.

• Advertisement

Same goes for you. And me, and everyone else. There's no need for you to jump on kryogen everytime he posts cos he once asked u for a link.......

Apparantly (I read this on redcafe but dont have the direct link I'm afraid, sorry) Ronaldo actually said yesterday:

Reporter: Did you like wearing all white?

Ronadlo: Yes of course, for Portugal. For Manchester, I prefer to wear red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Well, part of the reason he wants to leae Bayern is cause he spends a decent amount of time on the bench - that wouldn't really be improved upon at United.

He isn't a player i'd be disappointed signing - seems to be a very good finisher, and decent passer of the ball. My german friends think he is over-rated and that he has gone backwards a bit since he signed for Bayern.

i think he said he will be staying anyway, Klinsmann is the manager next year and said he wants podolski to be there

Dont see Podolski being the answer to our striker issue myself tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Manchester United have been blasted by Roma for the signing of one of Italy's most promising young strikers after securing the services of 16-year-old sensation Davide Petrucci. (Daily Telegraph)

More classy business from United.
    Pointless complaining about Real when United are just as shady in their transfer dealings.
    Everyone goes beyond the line when it comes to whats acceptable so why whinge about it.
    Build a bridge, get over it and move on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Spurs new playmaker, Luka Modric looks really really good, kinda like a young Scholes. If they manage to hang on to Berba in the summer, i think Spurs will really challenge for a Champions lEague spot next year especially condsidering how difficult Liverpool are finding it to strenghten.

Hopefully Manucho get the visa thing sorted so he can join the squad for preseason and we can concentrate on signing a right back. Im still hoping we magically sign Inniesta or Xavi. Has anyone else put themselves in the shop window at this tournament (except Villa of course)?

event wrote: »
    i think he said he will be staying anyway, Klinsmann is the manager next year and said he wants podolski to be there
    From what i read, he has told Klinsmann that he is not happy with his current situation at Bayern and wants to move if that situation will not improve.

IrishMike wrote: »
    More classy business from United.
    Pointless complaining about Real when United are just as shady in their transfer dealings.
    Everyone goes beyond the line when it comes to whats acceptable so why whinge about it.
    Build a bridge, get over it and move on!
    What the hell are you on about? We legally signed a player that was not under contract. What is the problem? Roma are pissed because the italians are fed up with english clubs nicking their young players, but United have done nothing other than offer the kid more money then Roma did (they only offered him minimum wage - United offered about 3 times that)

But sure, don't let that get in the way of a nice little rant.

EDIT - we actually offered closer to 5 times Roma's offer.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Im still hoping we magically sign Inniesta or Xavi

Id love that just so Xavi6 would have to pay to change his name!

im content with our central midfield, dont see the need for it to be strengthened this summer. podolski has played most of this season in the munich reserves im told? how did he actually get into the German squad if this is true?

oh and Shoulderchip, check your pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Id love that just so Xavi6 would have to pay to change his name!

That would be just the perfect start to a new season :D

• Advertisement

im kind of enjoying having my first stalker here on boards, is that weird?

anyway, its quite obvious to most of the regulars here that whatever i say to Al in here will be in jest, he knows i have no problems with him at all.

now im gonna try break it to you gently here, me and you will never happen. its time to move on and find someone else to stalk ok. i find you amusing but i just cant see a future for us.

put me on ignore since you take issue with all my posts, you wont be subjected to them anymore, its pretty easy to do

sorry for derailing guys

back on topic, the Italian lad we legally approached and signed. does anyone think he really has a shot at making the team or will he just be another Rossi, i know nothing about him except he is being raved about in Italy. and he scored 14 in 19 in the youth team last season

RO(CK)MAN wrote: »

Surely you should be already happy with the perfect start to the season since you just singed Big Phil!! :pac::D:pac::D

Surely you should be already happy with the perfect start to the season since you just singed Big Phil!! :pac::D:pac::D

QFT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Manchester United have been blasted by Roma for the signing of one of Italy's most promising young strikers after securing the services of 16-year-old sensation Davide Petrucci. (Daily Telegraph)

sensation no less....

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=98095

lol always nice to see rumours involving your most hated enemies star player isnt it! takes the edge off the other thing a bit

sprinkles wrote: »
    sensation no less....
    here is the full article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2008/06/13/sfnman113.xml

Manchester United last night came under fire after signing one of Italy's most promising young strikers.

Just days after they were pipped by Arsenal to the signature of 17-year-old Cardiff midfielder Aaron Ramsey, United snapped up Davide Petrucci, 16, who scored 14 goals in 19 matches last season and was the top scorer in Roma's youth team. He has also starred for Italy's under-17 team.

United will pay Petrucci £95,000 a year and will cover the cost of regular flights home to Italy. The deal is the maximum permissible offer for a youth-team player. Roma will receive around £200,000 in compensation but the move has caused fury.

"It is a nightmare," said Il Romanista, a newspaper dedicated to Roma. "Manchester United have dealt us another low blow, stealing Petrucci from under our noses, probably the best product of our youth system. In three to four years, he will be worth 100 times as much."

Petrucci, who comes from the San Basilio suburb of Rome, has been compared to a young Francesco Totti and could have made the first-team squad next year. However, Roma offered him a contract worth only £16,000 a year, the basic youth-team deal. Petrucci was also said to be concerned that he had not already been called up to the first team. Totti made his debut in 1993 when he was 16.

Bruno Conti, Roma's technical director, said the club were unwilling to improve the terms because it would upset other youth-team players who had already signed similar deals, including Riccardo Brosco, a defender who has already been promoted to the full squad.

Conti said Petrucci would have been given opportunities to show his value next season.

Roma have a history of developing youth players. Daniele De Rossi and Alberto Aquilani have come through the system in the past two years and are now playing for Italy.

Roma are unable to contest the signing, since Italian rules state it is impossible to offer a professional contract to anyone under 17. Petrucci's birthday is in October.

Meanwhile, Patrice Evra has signed on for four more years at United. His contract extension is worth £75,000 a week. "United is more than a club, it is a family," said Evra. "I'm proud to be a part of it."

Seems he actually was very highly rated, they just didn't want to break their wage structure for him, which i suppose is understandable. What is not understandable is how IrishMike thinks this is remotely similar to the Ronaldo situation.....

Also, the BLASTING appears to have come from a newspaper and not Roma, so IrishMike, explain why the situations are so a like?

Meanwhile, Patrice Evra has signed on for four more years at United. His contract extension is worth £75,000 a week. "United is more than a club, it is a family," said Evra. "I'm proud to be a part of it."

What is he going to do with 75 grand a week, the lad gave up drinking. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

What is he going to do with 75 grand a week, the lad gave up drinking. :D

Feed us 407 siblings.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3685014,00.html

Cristiano Ramos...
    "We'll see what happens":eek

Source-Marca

Lads it has to be true...........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

only1stevo wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3685014,00.html

Cristiano Ramos...
    "We'll see what happens":eek

Source-Marca

Lads it has to be true...........:rolleyes:

Ramos, probably the most over rated defender in the world. are Real looking to cut their losses on him?

Ramos, probably the most over rated defender in the world. are Real looking to cut their losses on him?

Nah, Ramos is class, big strong, quick and good on the ball. He had a howler the other day, but dont let that fool you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

RO(CK)MAN wrote: »

oh no, now that he knows we would like xavi that means chelski are gonna bid for him! damn you ro(ck)man stop stealing our ideas with your £100m transfer kitty!

You know Rockman - if you really want a succesfull side that plays attractive football, you should just buy United - it would probably work out cheaper in the end!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ramos would be an excellent replacement for Neville. Don't rate a player on just the one game! Time for united to get their own back me thinks - the Sun shoudl run with this story as a headline for the next 3 weeks :)

MANUTD.com review of Ben Foster
    NANUTD.COM wrote:
    Ben Foster's impact was fleeting, but full of potential...

Any keeper brave enough to leap at the feet of the Premier League’s finest marksmen can expect a few knocks in the line of duty.

Cruciate ligament problems are, however, more often associated with outfield players, so Ben Foster has all the more reason to curse his luck, having been kept out of action by precisely such an injury.

What's more, the blow came just as he was being talked about not only as the chief understudy to Edwin van der Sar at United, but also a genuine contender for the England no.1 jersey.

Foster spent a frustrating eight months recuperating, yet finally made his United debut in March 2008 in the 1-0 win at Derby County. There were no signs of nervousness, and no signs of cobwebs.

Indeed, he showed he’d lost none of his shot-stopping ability, making two magnificent saves from Kenny Miller and Mile Sterjovski to stop the bottom club taking a shock lead.

The Independent noted in the match report: “[Foster] will not get a medal this season if United win the title, but he will have played a vital part.”

And the keeper himself was equally thrilled.

“I thoroughly enjoyed it,” he said, “and I’m delighted to get the win and keep a clean sheet. I’m quite happy with my performance too. The two chances came pretty quick-fire… I just remember making two reaction saves down to my left and that was about it.”

Foster played due to the suspension of Tomasz Kuszczak and injury to van der Sar, and it proved to be his sole run-out of the season.

But a keeper of his ability surely won’t be playing Reserve football for long, and if United can kick on and win more silverware next term, you wouldn’t bet against the boy from Leamington Spa getting his hands on a medal then.

How true the bit in bold turned out.

Will he be pushing to be first choice next year? Does he have a chance of getting it? or will he be back up and be brought in for the League and possibly FA cup games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Will he be pushing to be first choice next year? Does he have a chance of getting it? or will he be back up and be brought in for the League and possibly FA cup games?

id like to see him fighting for it, he should achieve 2nd choice if he really tries, and if he can kick a ball then he is a step ahead of the pole in goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

sprinkles wrote: »
    Ramos would be an excellent replacement for Neville. Don't rate a player on just the one game!

in fairness I'm not going off the one game. I've seen him a few times now and been unimpressed on all occasions. i guess I've seen very little of him domestically though so I'll concede he may well be a lot better than i give him credit for, but even so, based on what I've seen I'd still call him over rated. There are targets out there that represent much better value for money.

id like to see him fighting for it, he should achieve 2nd choice if he really tries, and if he can kick a ball then he is a step ahead of the pole in goal!

I think he would definitly be our second choice. The pole filled in well for us this year but he never really fells me with confidence and always looks suspect dealing with crosses and commanding his box. Now I have no idea if Ben Foster is better at this I haven't seen enough of him.

Also I think the Pole held onto number two this year for a few reasons, 1) Foster was making his way back from injury, 2) the performances he put in while VDS and Foster were out meant he had earned and deserved this spot.

But if he is supposed to be Englands number one for the next 10 years (SAF words not mine) then he should definitly be our second choice next year, my question is what are the chances of him starting as number 1 or his chances of claiming the number one by the end of the season.

I think if VDS gets injured for a month or more (likely at his age and last season showing) then he has a good chance of taking the number one spot if he takes his chance when he gets it.

There was big talk at the end of the season he played with Watford that fergie was going to play him as number. 1 from the start of the season, but obvioulsy the injury ment we never got to find out if that was true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I think Foster will be number 2 next season but he will be pushing VDS very hard, which will be good for VDS. The Pole did quite well last year but I dont think he is any way near as good as VDS or Foster.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement