Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

in fairness I'm not going off the one game. I've seen him a few times now and been unimpressed on all occasions. i guess I've seen very little of him domestically though so I'll concede he may well be a lot better than i give him credit for, but even so, based on what I've seen I'd still call him over rated. There are targets out there that represent much better value for money.
    sorry, wasn't aiming that comment at you but was a more general statement about his bad performance for spain. I've heard a lot of people writing him off based purely on that one performance. I've seen him a few times this season - probably not enough to rate him fully - but have also kept up to date with la liga and he's very highly rated over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I think if VDS gets injured for a month or more (likely at his age and last season showing) then he has a good chance of taking the number one spot if he takes his chance when he gets it.

i cant see VDS lastin the full season, not with the euros this summer, now im not sayin he is past it by any means, i still favour him as #1-but id say foster will be getting a few more run outs than expected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I honestly cant see a situation where we get Ramos and Ronnie stays with us. The only way it would happen imo is in a deal for Madrid to get Ronnie so I think we will be taking our search for a right back else where unless Ronnie is going of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

sprinkles wrote: »
    sorry, wasn't aiming that comment at you but was a more general statement about his bad performance for spain. I've heard a lot of people writing him off based purely on that one performance. I've seen him a few times this season - probably not enough to rate him fully - but have also kept up to date with la liga and he's very highly rated over there.

What gets me is that earlier in the year he was billed as Madrid's hero who they were going to build their next team around,
    and now they are seemingly willing to ship hi out for Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I honestly cant see a situation where we get Ramos and Ronnie stays with us. The only way it would happen imo is in a deal for Madrid to get Ronnie so I think we will be taking our search for a right back else where unless Ronnie is going of course.

Ramos is going no where, he cost Real Madrid 20 million, established him as a Spanish International, they are going to want to see some return on what they paid. So 25-30 million for a position we are fairly solid in and have ample cover in, no thanks.

Even if it is part of the Ronaldo deal, I would still just prefer to take straight cash, no exchange, no performance related bonuses, etc. Put the cash back in the club.

By all accounts Ferguson has been given 50 million to spend, after we sign Tevez for a reported 20 million, that leaves us with 30 to sign a decent striker, maybe some change left over and with the reported sale of Saha, get a young versatile CB for 10-15 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

What gets me is that earlier in the year he was billed as Madrid's hero who they were going to build their next team around,
    and now they are seemingly willing to ship hi out for Ronaldo

They are willing to whore themselves out to get Ronaldo :pac:
    A club as big as Madrid saying they are " honoured" for a player of Ronaldo's stature to say he's interested is a joke tbh and smacks of desperation to land him.
    Ronaldo will stay now I think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Tauren wrote: »
    You know Rockman - if you really want a succesfull side that plays attractive football, you should just buy United - it would probably work out cheaper in the end!!

Who do you think I was trying to buy when I first came over, but thats what I get for using Borak as middle-man :D

Boggles wrote: »
    Ramos is going no where, he cost Real Madrid 20 million, established him as a Spanish International, they are going to want to see some return on what they paid. So 25-30 million for a position we are fairly solid in and have ample cover in, no thanks.

Even if it is part of the Ronaldo deal, I would still just prefer to take straight cash, no exchange, no performance related bonuses, etc. Put the cash back in the club.

By all accounts Ferguson has been given 50 million to spend, after we sign Tevez for a reported 20 million, that leaves us with 30 to sign a decent striker, maybe some change left over and with the reported sale of Saha, get a young versatile CB for 10-15 million.
    Yeah I agree with you thats why I said the only way it could happen is in a deal with ronnie, but as you say Id much prefer the money although there arnt alot of quality attacking right backs out there at the mo. Is Alaves still available or has he gone to Barcelona?

Yeah I agree with you thats why I said the only way it could happen is in a deal with ronnie, but as you say Id much prefer the money although there arnt alot of quality attacking right backs out there at the mo. Is Alaves still available or has he gone to Barcelona?

Alves is a Barca man I believe :(

Smegball wrote: »
    Ah well. I think a striker should be our number one priority this summer anyways but if we could get a top class striker and right back it would be an great summer and if we could add Pirlo or Iniesta aswell it would be a dream summer. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think your attacking full backs are only as good as your striking options in the box, I'm sure Evra's assist rate will go up this season, even Browns for that matter if there was somone in the box to cross the ball to.

Take the 2 Arsenal full backs, they were pinging bals off Adebayor for fun all season, it gives another option instead of getting into good forward positions, ultimately all season Evra did this and ended up passing the ball backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Pirlo?

Really wouldnt fit in with us i think. Hes slow, a more gifted Michael Carrick you might say and hes been around for a while.

Would much prefer a young and dynamic midfielder like Joao Moutinho or Miguel Veloso from Portugal... Or Rafael Van Der Vaart :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Ronaldo apparantly had a funny in an interview: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3680470,00.html

The Little sh*t head!! does anyone get the feeling that he's going to stay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Ronaldo apparantly had a funny in an interview: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3680470,00.html

The Little sh*t head!! does anyone get the feeling that he's going to stay?

I've always been fairly confident he would stay. I have yet to see a believeable quote come from him that would make me believe otherwise.

Please dont bring up the quotes from terra.com I have already shot them down which most people choose to ignore.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Pirlo?

Really wouldnt fit in with us i think. Hes slow, a more gifted Michael Carrick you might say and hes been around for a while.

Would much prefer a young and dynamic midfielder like Joao Moutinho or Miguel Veloso from Portugal... Or Rafael Van Der Vaart :D
    Well Im alittle biased because Pirlo is one of my favourite ever players and I would pick him every time over Carrick, no contest imo. To be fair I havent seen alot of Veloso or Moutinho but from all reports they are two very good up and coming players alright. Van Der Vaart on the other hand is quality but by signing him it could hinder Anderson's development. Any how I dont see strenghtening the centre mid as priority at the mo, i was just dreaming. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Please dont bring up the quotes from terra.com I have already shot them down which most people choose to ignore.

You have shot down nothing mate. all you did was point out that the journalist wasnt in the country, so wat? means nothing.

If the quotes were not real, i would have expected Utd/Gill/Ferguson/Ronaldo/Ronaldos agent to have rubbished them within an hour and would expect a MASSIVE law suit to have been brought against the publication. None of this has happened. And its a week later.

Yeah I agree with you thats why I said the only way it could happen is in a deal with ronnie, but as you say Id much prefer the money...

you'd prefer the money, i'd prefer the ronnie!
    Smegball wrote: »

we had the best defensive record last season! while i think we do need a good rb its not at the top of our list of priorities! we need to look for a striker first! lets steal ronaldinho from city!! :D

Boggles wrote: »
    I think your attacking full backs are only as good as your striking options in the box, I'm sure Evra's assist rate will go up this season, even Browns for that matter if there was somone in the box to cross the ball to.

Take the 2 Arsenal full backs, they were pinging bals off Adebayor for fun all season, it gives another option instead of getting into good forward positions, ultimately all season Evra did this and ended up passing the ball backwards.
    Yeah thats a fair point, although as good as Brown was last season I think he is limited going forward in comparison to Evra. Another point If Neville is fully fit for the start of the season and we dont sign a right back who would would ye all prefer to start Brown or Neville?

Van Der Vaart would be a great signing, he surely has to move onto a bigger club than Hamburg.
    Would be a huge headache for Sir Alex anyways, but I highly doubt we will sign a CM, we have young Possebon in reserves who I think could get a few chances next season if he's lucky.
    Striker is the priorty and at this stage I don't really know who we will sign, I've a feeling it's gona be Berbatov

• Advertisement

you'd prefer the money, i'd prefer the ronnie!

Oh dont get me wrong I would much prefer Ronnie to stay but if he is to go Id prefer the money rather than some money and an exchange of players.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You have shot down nothing mate. all you did was point out that the journalist wasnt in the country, so wat? means nothing.

If the quotes were not real, i would have expected Utd/Gill/Ferguson/Ronaldo/Ronaldos agent to have rubbished them within an hour and would expect a MASSIVE law suit to have been brought against the publication. None of this has happened. And its a week later.

Well you see I never said the quotes weren't real. I'll find my post regarding them and quote it. I'm not condoning Ronaldos behaviour during this he could have ended the speculation ages ago. But I think he is milking it for a) ego b) trying to get and improved contract from Utd, but I never belived he would leave.

My points reagrding the Terra quotes and why I think they are bull.
    It also interesting that the dont quote the question he was asked.

If the question he was asked was.

"If Real and Man Utd came to an agreement and you were offfered the oppourtunity to play for Real would you go?" and he answered "Yes, I would like to play at Real Madrid. This is true whether they are willing to spend on me and with the Manchester United what they say. But that does not depend on me". That would be a perfectly good answer.

Its very different to answering "Where is your future? Do you wish to leave Man United?" the same way.

Its all about context and this article has none of it.

Oh dont get me wrong I would much prefer Ronnie to stay but if he is to go Id prefer the money rather than some money and an exchange of players.

ye i'd be off the same light, i still think he will be here for 2 more years (and we will put up with this fucking shit next summer too!) and he'll leave after putting on a wonder show in the 2010 world cup!

My points reagrding the Terra quotes and why I think they are bull.

You have to realise how much you are clutching at straws there?

Again, if he was being misinterprated so badly in the press, we would have been told that imo by Gill/Ferguson/Ronaldo/Ronaldos Agent.

so again, you didnt rubbish anything, you just invented a question that you hope he was asked in order to cling to the idea he has no intention of leaving when everything except your imagination points to the exact opposite.

You have to realise how much you are clutching at straws there?

Again, if he was being misinterprated so badly in the press, we would have been told that imo by Gill/Ferguson/Ronaldo/Ronaldos Agent.

so again, you didnt rubbish anything, you just invented a question that you hope he was asked in order to cling to the idea he has no intention of leaving when everything except your imagination points to the exact opposite.

Gill or Ferguson can't comment as they only know what was in the press.

I already said Ronaldo should be commenting but he is milking it. He loves having all the attention on him especially during the euros, and he also wants a better contract/image rights deal. If he wanted to demand a move to Real he would have come out in front of the cameras and said it. He is playing the media, however he also knows that not matter what he says it will get twisted (like I believe the terra article was) so he is saying nothing and just stringing the media along enjoying all the attention.

Do you not think that the context of his answer is very important?

Do you not think that maybe if these comments were demand to leave United that the reporter would have posted the direct question he asked Ronaldo?

If I am clutching at straws, that must mean you are certain that he is leaving Utd. I am certain he isn't. One of us will be proven right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

If I am clutching at straws, that must mean you are certain that he is leaving Utd. I am certain he isn't. One of us will be proven right.

I'm with you on this one. There has been nothing concrete!
    I think your going to be very disapointed Mr. Alan.

deisedevil wrote: »
    I think your going to be very disapointed Mr. Alan.

no offence mr alan, but i hope you are very dissapointed! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

you get used to it being a liverpool fan...

Skud wrote: »
    you get used to it being a liverpool fan...

hahaha noice!! :pac:

however he also knows that no matter what he says it will get twisted (like I believe the terra article was)

seen as people in here love talking about Liverpool so much, see Torres' statement in how to quash 99% of transfer rumours instantly. Ronaldo can easily kill all this talk.
    so he is saying nothing and just stringing the media along enjoying all the attention.

Actually, he is saying something, he is telling Terra that he wants to go to Real. And cracking jokes in the media about playing in white.

I said the day this broke that i think something will go wrong and he wont leave. Things like this never go the way i want em to :(
    deisedevil wrote: »

Nothing concrete in relation to wat?

If you mean whether or not he will be sold-you are correct.
    If you mean in relation to where he wants to be-you cant get more concrete that wat he has already said.

I actually think i will be. Only cause Utd will cave into his greed or Real wont be able to afford him or some other silly reason that means i'll have to put up with the little pup for another year!

• Advertisement

seen as people in here love talking about Liverpool so much, see Torres' statement in how to quash 99% of transfer rumours instantly. Ronaldo can easily kill all this talk.

Again I have stated several times Ronaldo could have ended this ages ago but he hasn't because he enjoys the attention and I believe wants an improved contract/image rights deal. Yes I wish he had Torress attitude in a number of instances but he doesn't.
    Actually, he is saying something, he is telling Terra that he wants to go to Real. And cracking jokes in the media about playing in white.

Again I point to the fact is that we dont know what he told terra. Did he tell them yes I want to go to Real, or did he tell yes I would go to Real if the pay man united and me the money the say.

I said the day this broke that i think something will go wrong and he wont leave. Things like this never go the way i want em to :(

Well we all hope you are left very very sad. sorry.
    Nothing concrete in relation to wat?

If you mean whether or not he will be sold-you are correct.
    If you mean in relation to where he wants to be-you cant get more concrete that wat he has already said.

It could be much more concrete.

Q: Do you want to leave Man Utd for Real
    A: Yes I do.

Nothing even close to this has been stated. Its all been we will see in two weeks/ who knows about the future. The only two times I have seen him on camera he has said "I stay I stay" and then the next day "I want to stay but who know it is not up to me"
    I actually think i will be. Only cause Utd will cave into his greed or Real wont be able to afford him or some other silly reason that means i'll have to put up with the little pup for another year!

I cant see this as caving into his greed. He has been recognisied as many as the best player in the world this year. Should he not therefore be paid the best in his field?

Real not being able to afford him. Come on, they have a bigger pit then Chelsea.

I'm afraid you are the one clutching at straws using one web sites quotes as your source.

No love lost between Fergie and Queiroz and Scoalri, some interesting touch line battles next season. :)
    The issue first arose in November 2006, when, against United's wishes, Scolari played the forward in a European Championship qualifying match against Kazakhstan and he aggravated an ankle injury. Queiroz reacted by saying that: “Scolari behaves like one of those people you lend your car to when it has a full tank of gas and they use it all week, crash it and then leave it on a side street with no gas and aren't even polite enough to tell you where they left it.”
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/chelsea/article4123987.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No love lost between Fergie and Queiroz and Scoalri, some interesting touch line battles next season. :)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/chelsea/article4123987.ece

Indeed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon if United offered Ronaldo a new contract with improved terms, he'd sign it and stay... til this all kicked off again next summer.

Dave! wrote: »

Id love if he did that in the Prem to rooney or Gerrard, he wouldnt get away with his assistant intervening with a measly little hand off. i love how he runs away...tough "Big" Phil my @ss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ugh, more Ronaldo ****e, he loves the press attention, why shouldnt he joke with them? he said he likes a white kit, for his national team, but for Manchester he wears red! wow! Scolari was taking all the headlines that day he had to say something

he is after a pay rise and improved image rights because they want to launch a CR7 range.

The brazilian website thing has been acknowledged as a fraud and tbh you cant chop and change your opinions so much

if you believe he is an attention seeker who loves the press around him you cant really believe he would ring some unknown journo in Brazil for a chat about his future can you?

can you really delude yourself to the point where you believe that story?

Forget that the Portugeese press officer said he hadnt spoken to anyone, forget that Ronaldo said he wont be making any statement till after the tournament.

The simple attention seeker and ego in the guy would make sure he made a big announcement like that in front of the worlds press.

Your pretty foolish if you believe anything different

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I particularly dislike the pathetic attitude of opposition fans that just want him to leave the league. I'd much rather see better players every week or when i go see a team than have them play in Italy or Spain. I don't think i'd ever take happiness in a good rival player leaving the EPL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

lordgoat wrote: »
    I particularly dislike the pathetic attitude of opposition fans that just want him to leave the league. I'd much rather see better players every week or when i go see a team than have them play in Italy or Spain. I don't think i'd ever take happiness in a good rival player leaving the EPL.
    eh....ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I see on manutd website they have signed a Roma youth player called Davide Petrucci, Roma are to happy as he was touted as the next Totti and also they thought he might make the first team next season, but of course that wont happen now.

I just hope he is not another Rossi, even though i still think manutd were wrong to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

I read that as well on the bbc footie site. He's apparantly gots bags of potential. Here's hoping...

• Advertisement

yeah was trying to discuss this earlier, i assume he wont make it and he will be sold like Rossi and Pique......undoubtadly i think both of those players were good enough to make the team, but for one reason or another it just never happened, i assume similar will happen this time tbh

hope im wrong

And tell me Kryogen would you drop Vidic or Rio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I think Pique made the right move moving back to spain, i could never see him playing ahead of those in the next two three years. I still think selling Rossi was a mistake considering how injury prone Saha is.

I'm hoping as well this young italian pushes his way to the first in the year or towards the end of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I see on manutd website they have signed a Roma youth player called Davide Petrucci, Roma are to happy as he was touted as the next Totti and also they thought he might make the first team next season, but of course that wont happen now.

I just hope he is not another Rossi, even though i still think manutd were wrong to sell him.

Yeah,I think Rossi had some potential but he didnt show to much of it , but I wasnt too happy when they sold Pique ,even though Vidic and Ferdinand together are brilliant I believe he was an excellent replacement.

no of course i wouldnt, what kind of question is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Aplogies if this has already been covered.
    Fingers crossed it's not long term...****ty few weeks for him after missing out on Champions Legue final squad too:(
    Ji-sung Park will undergo tests in Korea next week after complaining of “discomfort” in his knee while on international duty.

The 27-year-old winger has played two 90-minute World Cup qualifiers for South Korea since United’s season ended, scoring in a 2-2 draw against Jordan on May 31.

But the knee injury which required surgery and sidelined him for nine months last year has since flared up, ruling him out of Saturday’s qualifier in Turkmenistan.

However, both Park and Korea’s medical staff are hopeful the setback is not serious and that he will return for the game against North Korea next Sunday.

“I don’t feel any pain and walking is fine, but there is some water in my knee,” Park said. “This is the first time I have felt it since the operation.”

South Korea national team doctor Dong-eun Shin added: “He is not feeling pain, but he is experiencing discomfort, so we are putting his knee under light treatment.”

United are awaiting further news from Korea’s medical staff, who will assess Park further when he returns to Korea from Turkmenistan next week.

Park made his United comeback at Christmas and played an important role in the Reds’ Double triumph, declaring that he felt fitter than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

Making his father a groundsman at the club sealed the deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Olympique Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has warned big clubs off his star striker Karim Benzema.
    Manchester United are among Benzema's suitors, but Aulas said yesterday from Barcelona: "It is not a question of price. £30 million? For that price I would sell only Benzema's ear.

"He renewed his contract and wants stay and have a good Champions League with Lyon."

I ****ing hate Aulas
    Seriously he drives me nuts.
    Where chairmen pull these insane valuations of players from is beyond me.
    He cant make the French team ahead of Gomis but is worth £40m+?
    Give me a break for crying out loud

kryogen wrote: »
    no of course i wouldnt, what kind of question is that?
    In fairness you said Pique had a chance of making the team so the kind of question it is is a direct one regarding the points you made in your previous post. Try re reading it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I wouldn't bother with him Sprinkles he got pissed off with me and started saying I was stalking him,
    despite the fact that this is the only thread that he comments on.
    he even pm'd me so I think he honestly believes that I have been.

There is a nonsense report on goal.com claiming sneijder is wanted by united in any c-ron swap deal.
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=736257

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement