Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Every Madrid player has been linked now nearly :o
    I still don't see any players swapping between clubs tbh :)
    Would love Sneijder though, I think Van Der Vaart deserves to be at a top club aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

another quality finish by David Villa today

that will add another million to the price tag

love to see him at united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,454 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sneijder, Ramos, Casilas and 40million - i'd be happy with that! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Tauren wrote: »
    Sneijder, Ramos, Casilas and 40million - i'd be happy with that! :D
    when pigs fly

no, i'd be happy with that now. Pigs plying would be awesome, no doubt, but not relevant to the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Right back for russia, Anyukov is an excellent player.
    So is Pavluychenko, the striker, but lacks real finishing instinct unfortunately.

Would like to see either in a United jersey.

only1stevo wrote: »
    Right back for russia, Anyukov is an excellent player.
    So is Pavluychenko, the striker, but lacks real finishing instinct unfortunately.

Yeah, Anyukov really impressed me tonight, Arshavin is a better player than Pavluychenko IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Cristiano Ronaldo's personal terms for a move to Real Madrid were agreed 'a long time ago', according to a senior Manchester United source. Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes is now understood to have finalised all the key details with executives from the Spanish club.

'They have been talking for at least two months,' the source told Observer Sport last night, 'and it was all agreed with Real Madrid weeks ago. All this chat from [Real president] Ramón Calderón that he does not want to upset Manchester United, and Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be bought because he belongs to another club, is absolute rubbish. Discussions have gone way beyond the point of no return. Sir Alex Ferguson knows this now so you can imagine how it has gone down.'

This explains United's decision to lodge a formal complaint with Fifa, claiming that Ronaldo has been tapped up; a threat that, although announced occasionally by clubs, is rarely acted upon. Last week a national newspaper also published a photograph of Ronaldo meeting a Real official in January in Rome, the club's fitness instructor, Walter Di Salvo, who left Old Trafford for the Bernabéu.

'The people around Ronaldo and Real Madrid have been talking seriously for a long time - about everything including the details of his contract if he moves,' added the source.

Ronaldo signed an improved contract that runs until 2012 in April of last year and Ferguson has taken the stance, in public at least, that the player will not be allowed to leave. But the source outlined that United believe Madrid's strategy to have been based on winning Ferguson round once it became clear that Ronaldo wanted to go. 'Madrid knew it would be tough, but thought for the right price the manager would sell. But he doesn't want to. No way.'

But would not a sizeable offer make the deal inevitable? 'No, I don't think he would sell even for £100 million,' the source claimed, although there is no definite confidence at United about what will happen. Ferguson has said that the Glazer family, which owns United, would not sell Ronaldo for any price. But whether they would turn down an astronomical fee, especially given the club's £600m debt, is unclear. One option that may be explored is for Ferguson to persuade Ronaldo to stay at least one more season, then allow him to leave.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/15/ronaldo.manchesterunited?gusrc=rss&feed=football

interesting article if true. it will prob be picked up more by sites tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

sprinkles wrote: »
    In fairness you said Pique had a chance of making the team so the kind of question it is is a direct one regarding the points you made in your previous post. Try re reading it!

i said Pique and Rossi could have made it but for one reason or another they didnt, it wasnt that hard to follow was it? sorry if you misunderstood, the main reason Pique didnt make it at united was the awesome central defence we have! i wouldnt trade either of them and their partnership for anything in the world!

I wouldn't bother with him Sprinkles he got pissed off with me and started saying I was stalking him,
    despite the fact that this is the only thread that he comments on.
    he even pm'd me so I think he honestly believes that I have been.

There is a nonsense report on goal.com claiming sneijder is wanted by united in any c-ron swap deal.
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=736257

eh, right, so i assume my posts in other threads are all in my head?? or is it just an attemp to show you dont stalk me?

well unfortunatly for you, since you jumped at another chance to try have a pop at me for no reason it shows you are stalking me! its kinda amusing, but like i said, its never gonna happen. run along now, i dont like to use the ignore function....never have used it actually, im afraid i might have to with you if your posts stop amusing me!

in all serious though, the hard on you have for me is kind of sad. get over it mate, life is too short.

we do live in the same city by the way....you could always come see me and we can have a chat about what your actual problem is with me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

kryogen wrote: »
    eh, right, so i assume my posts in other threads are all in my head?? or is it just an attemp to show you dont stalk me?

well unfortunatly for you, since you jumped at another chance to try have a pop at me for no reason it shows you are stalking me! its kinda amusing, but like i said, its never gonna happen. run along now, i dont like to use the ignore function....never have used it actually, im afriad i might have to with you if your posts stop amusing me!

in all serious though, the hard on you have for me is kind of sad. get over it mate, life is too short.

we do live in the same city by the way....you could always come see me and we can have a chat about what your actual problem is with me

Can we please get back to Topic.
    Please please please put me on your ignore list,
    I am bloody tired of this.

then quite simply, put me on yours! its pretty easy to do, you claim dont have any interest in my posts so just click me to ignore! yours amuse me therefore i dont have to put you on the ignore thingy yet

and also, heres a thought, if your tired of this. if you have gotten over your crush, then stop taking shots every time i post something. just something to think about

good night

the pic describes you better then my words can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

yeah was trying to discuss this earlier, i assume he wont make it and he will be sold like Rossi and Pique......undoubtadly i think both of those players were good enough to make the team, but for one reason or another it just never happened, i assume similar will happen this time tbh

hope im wrong

I quoted you fully to avoid being told I took it out of context. You think they were good enough to make the team. That means you think they are good enough to out the players in their positions. Then you said for one reason or another... sounding like you disagreed with the decision not to include them in the team.

The only reason I'm continuing with this is your attitude. I asked a valid question and you replied with your condescending arrogant answer.

Is that easy enough to follow?:rolleyes:

you just took my post the wrong way then, it happens. but what you think i meant is not what i meant, assumption is the mother of all **** ups you know. i responded to your question in that manner because the thought would never enter my head to drop them so i didnt know where you got that from my post

as i already explained, one of the main, for one reason or anothers of Pique not making it was how good the partnership is.

you think that was arrogant? you should see me when im in form :)

anyway, this can go one of two ways as i see it, either you can accept this was a misunderstanding and we can move on all friendly like, or we can just drop the subject now and move on unfriendly like. up to yourself i guess!

Can we please get back to Topic.
    Please please please put me on your ignore list,
    I am bloody tired of this.

lol nice changeing of your post!!

i like your style bud

now ON TOPIC

anyone a little concerned that Park has re injured the same knee he had surgery on? deffo wouldnt want to see him out for any long amount of time again next season or become injury prone, he played a big part in our success this year

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jesus i feel like i've stumbled into the room and there's a huge lovers tiff going on. Who's right? Who's wrong?

I hope the park injury isn't too bad, if it was i think we'd have heard by now.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I hope the park injury isn't too bad, if it was i think we'd have heard by now.
    park is ****ing useless anyway

dont wish a injury on any player but the fact is he's useless all he's good for is selling jerseys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

dont wish a injury on any player but the fact is he's useless all he's good for is selling jerseys
    Very harsh imo, Park is a very good squad player and does a good job for the team.

Looks like Querioz is wanted to replace Scolari as Portugal manager, would be surprised if he left seeing as he is pretty much nailed on to take over from Fergie although I suppose it isnt every day you are offered the chance to manage your native country.

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3693573,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It'd surely be hard for him to turn down the Portugal job... Still, I'm sure the offer would still be there if/when he's finished at United. I wouldn't be as confident that the United job would still be there when he's done with Portugal. He's only 55 though, loads of time to do both.

Very harsh imo, Park is a very good squad player and does a good job for the team.

Looks like Querioz is wanted to replace Scolari as Portugal manager, would be surprised if he left seeing as he is pretty much nailed on to take over from Fergie although I suppose it isnt every day you are offered the chance to manage your native country.

Although understandable, it's pretty disappointing, Querioz has been a vital part of United's success last 2 seasons and seemed to me to be a decent replacement for when Fergie left, can't see it now :(
    Best of luck if you do leave Carlos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Dear god. So clueless

Park has been a very valuable player for us on the pitch since joining. He isn't good enough to be a starter all the time but without players like him we would struggle to win anything. Not every player has to score over 40 goals to be good.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Dear god. So clueless

Park has been a very valuable player for us on the pitch since joining. He isn't good enough to be a starter all the time but without players like him we would struggle to win anything. Not every player has to score over 40 goals to be good.

and you call me clueless :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Unearthly wrote: »
    Dear god. So clueless

So if he's not good enough to start and doesnt play much, Utd (me being abu and all) would struggle to win anything without him. Makes complete sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

he obviously means you need squad players, and if your squad players cant make the step up required your in trouble (case in point, Liverpool wings and Arsenal midfield).

Park is an excellent squad player, happy to wait in the wings and then gives his all whenever called upon, without causing overall level of the teams performance to drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Just because he doesn't score 40 goals a season doesn't mean he's a valuable player in his own right. Sure, he is going to skip past 10 players, but anyone who actually watches his performance, simple through balls, intelligent play. I remember Fergie saying that his coaching staff kept telling him, before he got injured against Blackburn last year, "You can't leave Park out of the team!!", he was playing so well.

He does a good job. You need a big squad, and if Giggs or Nani isn't on form, then you obviously need a change, and Park is the man. He's good at what he does, he's a good squad player. Without a good squad you don't win anything. Thats the point the OP was trying to make, and thats the point you completely missed.

Now I'm not saying he is superman, or that he is going to skip past 10 players and score, or score 20+ goals per season, but to call him useless is absolute horse sh!t. He's good at what he does... intelligent play, absolute demon for getting through work. If you want someone flashy, watch Ronaldo.

WTF does SWP have to do with anything? Lets not go down that stupid route...they play a completely different type of game.

So if he's not good enough to start and doesnt play much, Utd (me being abu and all) would struggle to win anything without him. Makes complete sense.

Let me explain to you the term squad player. It's a player that wouldn't command a starting 11 place if all players were fit, but are capable of coming into the team to replace someone and do an adequate job to help the team still perform and gain results. They are obviously not in the same league as Ronaldo who can do things that most players can't and win matches on their own.

I swear some of you think football should be like one of the old championship managers, or premier managers on the mega drive, where you buy 25 world class players and if you have a player that is not a world beater they are crap.

Park is a huge squad player for us, he and players like him are vital to big teams looking for success on many fronts. The likes of Fletcher, O Shea, Park and until last season Brown are great guys to have in the squad in case of injury or los of form or just for giving other guys a rest!

happy to sacrifice for the team and always ready to give their all whenever called upon

Calling a guy like Park useless doesnt make you look that good in terms of a little knowledge about football!

Don't even know where to start with this one. Park is a great squad player. I can't say it any more simply.

Calling a guy like Park useless doesnt make you look that good in terms of a little knowledge about football!

+1

• Advertisement

Seems Gabby has been chipping in with his 2 cents on the matter too

this could hardly be used as evidence of tapping up though, i mean it didn't come from a club official, just a player so i doubt the club can be held accountable?

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=98393

It does seem like Madrid are kind of grasping at straws at this stage though tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Gabby, Gabby, Gabby.....where did it all go wrong.

I used to idolise him, especially after his first season display. He is a real warrior, but after his sudden love of Liverpool, and now trying to get our best player to leave....he's lost his legendary status in my eyes. :(

TBH, it seems like Gabby and Ronnie were really close when they were at United, so this means much more than Schuster or Calderon talking to non-sense in the press.....

CQ was asked about this at the end of the season, i think, as it was widely reported that Scolari would be leaving for somewhere, and I think he said he wouldn't be interested in it at the moment, and that he feels he owes Fergie and United.

yup id agree with you there, they were/are very good friends apparently so its a worry if he is constantly telling him he should move and the club is great!

After his injury Heinze was never the same player in my eyes. but what he put the club through trying to get a move to Liverpool ended any feelings of loyalty i had toward him

CQ was asked about this at the end of the season, i think, as it was widely reported that Scolari would be leaving for somewhere, and I think he said he wouldn't be interested in it at the moment, and that he feels he owes Fergie and United.
    Thats good news, CQ has been a big part of our success imo. Oh link btw! ;) :pac:

yeah he said he owed them because they took him back to the club even after he turned his back on them and left

I wouldnt like to see him go right now, he seems instrumental in not only our success but also our player purchases all seem to involve him somehow, and he is great to have around for the likes of Ronnie, Nani, Anderson etc

• Advertisement

Thats good news, CQ has been a big part of our success imo. Oh link btw! ;) :pac:

A link? Don't be so lazy - go google it yourself. How dare you be so presumptuous in asking for a link - how arrogant.... or something. I dunno.

Anyway - back in the real world... I would also point out that CQ saying he would turn it down is very different to CQ actually turning it down after having it offered, i suppose.

It would be a disaster to see him leave - he is very, VERY important to what we have accomplished over the last two seasons.

Ronaldo possibly leaving is one thing, but losing both himself and CQ would be a massive blow.

A link? Don't be so lazy - go google it yourself. How dare you be so presumptuous in asking for a link - how arrogant.... or something. I dunno.

Anyway - back in the real world... I would also point out that CQ saying he would turn it down is very different to CQ actually turning it down after having it offered, i suppose.

It would be a disaster to see him leave - he is very, VERY important to what we have accomplished over the last two seasons.

Ronaldo possibly leaving is one thing, but losing both himself and CQ would be a massive blow.
    Only messing with ya, I'll take your word for it. :) I see Bentley wants out at Blackburn, a good player imo, could be worth a cheeky bid, although Im not sure if has the pace to play in the current Utd side.

i like Bentley, good player, but i think we should be aiming higher?

more a Liverpool type player imo :p

If Ronaldo were to stay, i reckon Bentley would be a very good player for our squad - a great crosser of the ball. He would be a good option to have, but i certainly wouldn't be happy with him as the replacement for Ronaldo.

lol Robben in is on the skysports website saying he would welcome Ronaldo too!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3691146,00.html

he also says that he thinks Ronaldo is enjoying playing for Manchester and that you cant really say Spain is a higher level, which is a good thing!

• Advertisement

If Ronaldo were to stay, i reckon Bentley would be a very good player for our squad - a great crosser of the ball. He would be a good option to have, but i certainly wouldn't be happy with him as the replacement for Ronaldo.
    The thing is Bentley doesnt strike me as a player who would fancy being a squad player, the reason he left Arsenal was because of lack of first team action and although he is a far better player now that could be a problem for him at Utd. I agree though I definitly would not say no to us buying him but not as a direct replacement fot Ronaldo (if he goes).

lol Robben in is on the skysports website saying he would welcome Ronaldo too!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3691146,00.html

he also says that he thinks Ronaldo is enjoying playing for Manchester and that you cant really say Spain is a higher level, which is a good thing!
    Hopefully Ruud will come and say he hopes to fcuk Real dont sign him! :D

Hopefully Ruud will come and say he hopes to fcuk Real dont sign him! :D

I think RVN came out a few days ago and said he would welcome ronaldo to Madrid

:(

I'm sure the Madrid official groundsman will be out in the media in a few days, expressing how he would love to cut the grass for Ronaldo to play on every other week :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Yeah sure they'll all be at it now trying to lure him over. If he wants to go, he'll go - I don't think it matters a damn who says they want him to stay or go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

deleted.

OK - provisional (before sky gets their hands on it) fixture list for United next season. Now, I hvae heard the prem are a bit anal about the list being posted elsewhere so I am not going to post the list in this thread - wouldn't want boards.ie getting in trouble....

link to the list here:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1054092_utd_face_magpies_opener

Big opener against Newcastle as home - should be a nice start to the GD column :D

Septermber currently has away games at Liverpool and Chelsea, back to back. BIG MONTH. I reckon if we can get to the end of September with 15 points we'll be in good shape

Run in seems ok at the moment too, though we have Arsenal, at home, on the second last game day of the season. Could be a potential title decider. We are also home to City the game before that, with boro away the game before that. 3 historically tricky games for us. Finish off away to Hull, and you can't really ask for more than that (apart from Hull at home)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lads anyone know if it would be difficult to get tickets to Ole's testimonial?

It's August 2nd against Espanyol I believe

I'd be looking for 4 probably. I'll keep an eye in the ticket sale subforum

edit:

Actually, would it be worth my while registering with One United? It's £28, I presume that's for the year.....

If I do register, what way does it work re: getting tickets? Where do I get them? And is there a limit on how many I can get for a given match?

Gonna try get to bout 3 games this season

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Dave! wrote: »

edit:

Actually, would it be worth my while registering with One United? It's £28, I presume that's for the year.....

If I do register, what way does it work re: getting tickets? Where do I get them? And is there a limit on how many I can get for a given match?

Cheers lads.

i'd say check some official utd travel agents first. They might let you buy tickets with them without having to pay the fee :) I don't know any but some lads here prob would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭SteM

Dave! wrote: »

edit:

Cheers lads.

£28 for the year.

It allows you to apply online for 1 ticket per membership. You enter into a lottery if a match is oversubscribed. It also allows you to buy tickets from their ticket exchange service http://manutd.viagogo.com/.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement