Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers mate

I'll see if I can convince any mates to join up too... Not much point in me being the only one with a ticket :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭SteM

Celtic Horizons are doing a day trip to the Ole testimonial for €129...

http://www.celtichorizontours.com/celtichorizon/Main/Product-2006.asp?iEventID=1932

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,454 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SteM wrote: »
    Celtic Horizons are doing a day trip to the Ole testimonial for €129...

http://www.celtichorizontours.com/celtichorizon/Main/Product-2006.asp?iEventID=1932
    Its sold out on that site (you'd think they'd mention that fact...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

3 items of interest today on the rumour mill

they reckon SAF could walk if Ronnie is sold without his consent, and i could deffo see him doing that myself if the board go against him like that

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=98598

and, Roma are in for Saha apparently, supposedly told they can sign him for 7million and there is also a possibility of a loan deal, although i cant see how that would be beneficial to us

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=98595

and news on the Berbatov front doesnt seem great if this rumour is to be true

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=98596

not that id be too concerned if we didnt go for him tbh

EDIT: also a brief overview of these and some other stories on the website

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BC7DF7CEC%2D3BC3%2D4859%2DA3FD%2DFE4AAD215DD8%7D&newsid=6611810

Cheers kryogen

Good to see interest in Saha! I'd bite the hand off either Roma or Bolton for £7/8m. I think we need to move on from him tbh. Nobody can say United didn't give him an opportunity. It's a shame that he's so injury plagued, and there was a time that he was very good, but even when he's been fit and on the pitch lately, he just doesn't seem interested at all.

It'd be good for him if he went somewhere else. 1. We're looking to sign a striker this summer, so he'll be even less likely to get a game, and 2. He might be a bit less complacent and more eager to impress if he goes to a new team.

All the best to him if he does go
    kryogen wrote: »

News on the Eto'o front might be good though :D

i agree, i think he has gone stale at OT, i think he knows he isnt going to be part of the future one way or the other so he has lost motivation maybe, a change could be just what he needs.

7 million is great money for him considering everything, and im sure he must only have a year left on his contract now?

anyone know when Fergie is coming back from holidays? we can get some real transfer stories going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

i agree, i think he has gone stale at OT, i think he knows he isnt going to be part of the future one way or the other so he has lost motivation maybe, a change could be just what he needs.

7 million is great money for him considering everything, and im sure he must only have a year left on his contract now?

anyone know when Fergie is coming back from holidays? we can get some real transfer stories going!

Haha, if Saha goes anywhere he will be subject to a strict medical, we could be lumbered with him yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Dave! wrote:
    News on the Eto'o front might be good though :D
    That would be amazing news. :)

7/8 million for Saha would be lovely, he really is a good player when he isnt injured and can be bothered, I think he needs a move.
    And for the daily Ronaldo saga :( - http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3698261,00.html

He better stay now I got my free Paddy Power Cristiano tshirt today. :)

I still haven't gotten my Henke one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Dave! wrote: »
    I still haven't gotten my Henke one :(
    Yeah I was surprised how quick it arrived, I only ordered it the end of last week and it arrived today. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Anyone seen this site before. Makes interesting reading !!

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

by the way, FIFA say Utd have no case against Real Madrid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/football/teams/m/man_utd/7457806.stm

shocking!!

Des[ite reports Madrid have been discussing personal terms for months, they have no case to answer. Good Ol' fifa. freaking useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

3 items of interest today on the rumour mill

they reckon SAF could walk if Ronnie is sold without his consent, and i could deffo see him doing that myself if the board go against him like that

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=98598

and, Roma are in for Saha apparently, supposedly told they can sign him for 7million and there is also a possibility of a loan deal, although i cant see how that would be beneficial to us

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=98595

not that id be too concerned if we didnt go for him tbh

EDIT: also a brief overview of these and some other stories on the website

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BC7DF7CEC%2D3BC3%2D4859%2DA3FD%2DFE4AAD215DD8%7D&newsid=6611810

no quotes and tribal! thought we'd hear a bit more of berb story today. Don't think much will happen until next week or week after. No idea when fergie is back, must be gone a week and a half at this stage??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

The lack of transfer rumours is slightly discouraging, at least some more big name links would be nice.

• Advertisement

I'd say they'll begin in earnest when Fergie gets back from France

Hopefully, I'm really struggling to see who we will sign this summer, Berbatov is most likely imo, what do you lads think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Read somewhere today berba is thinking bout a move to spain. Think it was bbc site, my laptop is really slow tonight so can't be arsed looking for link. Villa looks good, I guess a lot depends on whether or not the other clown is staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

i wouldnt mind seeing us go for that russian guy pablesomething plays with zenith. Madrid and barca i think interested in him... if anything might bring down santa or berba's price cause he would cost same as santa...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Smegball wrote: »
    The lack of transfer rumours is slightly discouraging, at least some more big name links would be nice.

I have noticed this about Utd down the years maybe not as much the last few years but they seem to be able to keep a lid on a transfer a lot better than most other clubs.

• Advertisement

Pavlyochenko? Spelling is probably wrong lol, I think he's pretty good alright but not clinical enough, would be just be like buying another Rooney and Tevez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Skud wrote: »
    i wouldnt mind seeing us go for that russian guy pablesomething plays with zenith. Madrid and barca i think interested in him... if anything might bring down santa or berba's price cause he would cost same as santa...

I think you are mixed up with pavlyuchenko and Arsharvin,
    the guy who has been playing so far for russia, pavlyuchenko plays for spartak moscow.
    Arsharvin is the hyped up zenith forward he was suspended for the two previous matches.

odd that you want to sign a player due to his hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think he might have been talking about Pogrebnyak. He's the guy who was top scorer in the UEFA Cup but then got injured and missed out on the World Cup.

I like Pavlyuchenko myself and think he'd do well in the Premiership but he's probably not quite good enough for one of the big four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

I'd say he's talking about Pogrebnyak. He's better than Pavlyuchenko but he got injured before the Euros. He pretty much beat Bayern by himself:)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    by the way, FIFA say Utd have no case against Real Madrid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/football/teams/m/man_utd/7457806.stm

cant say anyone was expecting something different in fairness

Rumours today that Ronaldo is going to hand in a transfer request.

I honestly doubt that he will. Putting in a transfer request will not force United's hand, and will just alienate him further with regards to the OT support. If he does end up staying at United he would become a hate figure bigger than Rio was and I don't reckon his ego would be up to that. I reckon a lot will go on behind the scenes, but i don't think he will do anything quite as public as a transfer request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think if Ronaldo officially puts in a transfer request, Man Utd don't have to give him a 'pay-off' when they sell him, so they get a bigger slice of any transfer fee.

It's all gone very quiet now, and I doubt we'll hear anything substantial from Man Utd, Real Madrid or Ronaldo until after Portugal have gone home from the Euros.

Has Ronaldo passed the point of no return? What does Fergie and the squad think of his antics? This Man Utd squad always seemed to have a strong team spirit, and it will be interesting to see how he is welcomed back for pre-season, if he stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

He'll be welcomed back alright, same as he was after the world cup. Fergie and in particular carlos will see he's happy for at least another season, if he decides to stay. The Chief (Rio) said he wanted the team to stay together and was delighted that Evra, Brown etc have commited to long term deals. I don't think the squad will be too unhappy with him - Madrid are a big club and it's flattering for a footballer to be rated so highly.

There's rumours that Fergie has said he'll walk if Ronaldo is sold without his permission..... if true this could turn ugly (although that's more than likely just paper talk)

That said I have a feeling he'll move on and I'm just hoping United hold out for a bumper payout (and Sneider and mayber Ramos:) )

So my ideal summer would be:

Ronaldo Stays
    Buy a Right Back (??)
    Buy David Villa/Berbatov

worst case

Ronaldo Leaves
    Buy Ribery/Sneider
    Buy Right Back(??)
    Buy David Villa/Berbatov

Swim in cash left over:)

Smegball wrote: »

I wouldn't call it discouraging at all, compared to Liverpool who have been linked with everybody and their cat, Tabloid rumours have to have a nano element of believeablity (may not be a word), simply isn't enough quality available out there that can be linked with a double winning Man United.

I wouldn't be concerned about rumours, I'd be more concerned about the fact the top players are not available or suitable.

I think we may have to get used to a new transfer style. Up to the glazer take over we knew who United were looking at the moment they were looking at them - months of speculation and talk before we got our man. Since the takeover, things have been much more quiet for the most part.

If West Ham hadn't acted the maggot we'd have signed Tevez up while people were still saying he was off to Inter. Nani and Anderson came out of nowhere. van der Saar was the same, announced the same morning we were being linked to guys like Frey and Given. Vidic and Evra were snapped up very quickly and quietly. Hargreaves and Carrick are very notable exceptions, and both are english.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I much prefer it this way, I remember being in the states when the whole Ronaldinho will he/won't he was kicking off, and every day there was a new headline, along with an article from Pele saying he'll make United, being their first Brazilian (and then bring rehashed when Kleberson signed).

There hasn't really been a foot put wrong since the Glazers took over with regard signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

astrofool wrote: »
    I much prefer it this way, I remember being in the states when the whole Ronaldinho will he/won't he was kicking off, and every day there was a new headline, along with an article from Pele saying he'll make United, being their first Brazilian (and then bring rehashed when Kleberson signed).

There hasn't really been a foot put wrong since the Glazers took over with regard signings.

Ditto... I remember being in the Algarve forking out for overpriced "the sun" newspapers to be filled with lies!

much happier nowadays when our targets are largely unknown or speculation until signed. keeps our rivals from trying to scupper deals, and it means that we can spend more time ridiculing other teams transfer speculation :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

anyone see the papers today saying that barca have given permission for chelski to approach deco and ronaldinho! could just be paper talk but interesting none the less, with chelski definatley out to spend huge this summer, we would want to pick our transfers wisely!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

With regards to all the Ronaldo talk, I don't care either way whether he stays or not really but it's more to do with wanting to know whats happening. Simple as.

No about Chelski signing Ronaldinho and Deco. I'd love to see them playing in the p*ssing rain up north and seeing what they are like in freezing conditions during the winter months. Some midfield they would have all the same. What else could happen is that they would be ruined like Sheva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Lets look at our main rivals.

Chelsea: They will have a new manager who looks excellent but we will see how he pans out over a full season. I have no doubt he will build a strong team but i think he may still be lacking in terms of squad depth and will add to his squad again in January. I also think that the Champions League will be his priority.

Arsenal: It is unconfirmed yet who is leaving and who is staying but if they loose Adebayor, Van Persie, Flamini and Hleb then they are goosed. Im sure Wenger will work his magic but i also expect a big buy transfer to fail.

Liverpool: very strapped for cash but they may turn out to be our biggest rivals for the league especially if the add another striker. They are still weak on the wings but if the add Barry to gerard and Mach, then they will be very hard for anyone to beat. The fixture list looks very good for them too.

In terms of transfers, i much prefer iot this way. We wouldnt have lost Ronaldinho or Essien if those transfer were done the way we do business now. I think they lack of speculation in the papers about Berba means he will be joining us. My dream signing is still Inniesta.

agree about Essien, i think losing his signature set us back and held the team development for 2 years, dunno if that makes sense to anyone else but it does in my head! i feel he would have been an absolutely vital piece in our jigsaw

im hoping we arent signing Berbatov, he simply isnt worth the 30 million we would be forking out for him. no way spurs will sell for less the 25 mil to us anyway and since they turned that bid down last season i wouldnt be too optomistic about it being successful this season.

id much prefer a guy with the attributes of Berba, Drogba, Ibra etc. but with the attitude and heart of a Tevez, Rooney, Neville etc.

I just dont like the sulk factor we may be letting ourselves in for if we sign him

he isnt gonna be happy to sit on the bench and im assuming he will have to do a fair bit of it to keep Rooney and Tevez happy aswell! cant see either of them wanting to warm the bench for long either!

so why spend that kind of money on a guy who could potentially cause more problems then benefits?

there has to be a cheaper option, even someone unproven would do me at this stage since i dont believe a target man is absolutely necessary to the team, we are playing more fluid passing football and not so many high balls from defence to attack so a clinical finisher is more what we need i feel

Berba is a good finisher, but not good value for money imo

SSN had a headline saying Ronaldo is planning on talking to the media this afternoon

Dunno any more than that!

edit:

Anyone know anythin bout Jermaine Jones?

Article:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3702173,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Dave! wrote: »
    SSN had a headline saying Ronaldo is planning on talking to the media this afternoon

how long have we heard that for?!

• Advertisement

id much prefer a guy with the attributes of Berba, Drogba, Ibra etc. but with the attitude and heart of a Tevez, Rooney, Neville etc.

Pay for surgery to stretch Tevez by a foot.

I think Hunterlaar may get his game for the dutch tonight so we will see if he is any good against a decent enough Romanian defense.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Pay for surgery to stretch Tevez by a foot.

I think Hunterlaar may get his game for the dutch tonight so we will see if he is any good against a decent enough Romanian defense.

Hopefully. The game is on BBC 3.

i dont believe a target man

Not so much a target man as much as a finisher, although with Rooney and Tevez getting a good rest and a solid pre season i think they will score more goals.

The more i think about it, the more I think Villa would be a perfect signing for United - he would fit into the current shape and style of United, and is a top quality finisher.

Tauren wrote: »
    The more i think about it, the more I think Villa would be a perfect signing for United - he would fit into the current shape and style of United, and is a top quality finisher.

Oh yes he is class although i would prefer an attacking threat in the air as well as on the ground.

Tauren wrote: »

+1
    Although I can't see us signing him tbh, he's likely a Barca player aswell :o
    Would love to be surprised though :)

• Advertisement

Killme00 wrote: »
    Oh yes he is class although i would prefer an attacking threat in the air as well as on the ground.
    If we really need an attacking threat - Manucho is on his way, and Welbeck isn't small (though very young)

If we signed Benzema i would be over the moon (until Ronnie finally buggered off) but i certainly woudn't be disappointed with Villa.

United did need another option, a big option last season, but that was generally after Rooney or Tevez had spurned some golden oppertunities. If they had finished them off we wouldn't have needed the option.

hang on hang on, gotta go dig something up, been thinking Villa would be perfect for us for a long time now! must be documentation of the fact that i was of the mind set before the Euro though, to ward off anyone saying opinions have been formed over 2 or 3 games and blah blah blah, i think he is a long shot and if he were to come to England i think it would be to Liverpool tbh. he has a close relationship with Torres apparently and since Benitez tried to sign him when he was at Zaragoza and Benitez was at Valencia im sure he is a player Benitez rates

I wouldnt be surprised if Ronnie makes a statement today, the papers have pretty much run out of things to say except re hashing old stories and trying to put new slants on them because of the info they get from "sources" close to united/Ronaldo/madrid etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

So when C-ron hands in his tranfre request,
    will you still believe its all made up and not going to happen?

hang on hang on, gotta go dig something up, been thinking Villa would be perfect for us for a long time now! must be documentation of the fact that i was of the mind set before the Euro though, to ward off anyone saying opinions have been formed over 2 or 3 games and blah blah blah, i think he is a long shot and if he were to come to England i think it would be to Liverpool tbh. he has a close relationship with Torres apparently and since Benitez tried to sign him when he was at Zaragoza and Benitez was at Valencia im sure he is a player Benitez rates

I wouldnt be surprised if Ronnie makes a statement today, the papers have pretty much run out of things to say except re hashing old stories and trying to put new slants on them because of the info they get from "sources" close to united/Ronaldo/madrid etc.
    I don't remember you mention Villa at all.

You liar.

LIAR.

So when C-ron hands in his tranfre request,
    will you still believe its all made up and not going to happen?

who is that aimed at?

Plenty of people posting on this thread, and not all have thought it was ALL made up (though i have no doubt a decent proportion of all this speculation has been made up)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement