Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

No i meant deco of Portuguese fame. Very similar style to Diego. And IMO not what we need.

With Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo in the squad I dont think we need another midfield playmaker. I have faith in Anderson.

As much as i love Scholes he isnt getting any younger and i just feel Diego would be a great signing. I can't see Scholes starting as many games next season, but who knows. I really dont like Carrick either, his range of passing is terrbile unless its 5ft away, but after getting a 4yr contract he's staying which annoyed me as i dont think he is good enough.
    SAF said he;ll be signing players based on our perceived needs for the extra games that come with having won the CL.

I think that will be a Striker, never liked Saha and be glad to see the back of him to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,710 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I really dont like Carrick either, his range of passing is terrbile unless its 5ft away, but after getting a 4yr contract he's staying which annoyed me as i dont think he is good enough.

Carrick is with United 2 years, 2 prem medals, 1 CL Medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lads, how did ye rate Pique, obviously he was never going to be put straight in the mix with a 1st choice CB partnership of Vidic and Ferdinand... Do you think he would ever be able to reach those high standards in a couple of years time? He always impressed me when I saw him for Zaragoza, it'll be good that he's familiar with Milito and all.

Im thinking he could be the potential replacement for Puyol in a couple of years, a proud Catalan... Cant wait to see how Gerard Pique Bernabeu does next season...

Oh, and SAF is an absolute legend for bringing up Franco's disgusting era in response to Calderons tapping up, the press in Barca Im sure are having a field day with it!

As much as i love Scholes he isnt getting any younger and i just feel Diego would be a great signing. I can't see Scholes starting as many games next season, but who knows. I really dont like Carrick either, his range of passing is terrbile unless its 5ft away, but after getting a 4yr contract he's staying which annoyed me as i dont think he is good enough.

I think that will be a Striker, never liked Saha and be glad to see the back of him to be honest.

Again 1707595071_8aae8100a4.jpg?v=0

And I think it will be more than just a striker.

Boggles wrote: »
    Hargreaves was bought for his versatility more than anything, something that has proved invaluable this season. I don't think he will ever make one position his own.

So your writing Neville completely off, even as cover for right back?

Yes i am, i dont like him and never rated him.

We are short at Centre half so we should get a right back????

Should we not get a centre half?

No, because Wes Brown can play center half if needed. The one criticism of Brown would be going forward, but apart from that fantastic i think. I actually believe we will sign a RB this summer, but if im wrong and he sign a CB then i'll hold my hands up, but we dont need that. SAF will play O'Shea in the center if needed, even to he's not good enough. I would have liked Pique to stay but £6million is good business.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Lads, how did ye rate Pique, obviously he was never going to be put straight in the mix with a 1st choice CB partnership of Vidic and Ferdinand... Do you think he would ever be able to reach those high standards in a couple of years time? He always impressed me when I saw him for Zaragoza, it'll be good that he's familiar with Milito and all.

Im thinking he could be the potential replacement for Puyol in a couple of years, a proud Catalan... Cant wait to see how Gerard Pique Bernabeu does next season...

Oh, and SAF is an absolute legend for bringing up Franco's disgusting era in response to Calderons tapping up, the press in Barca Im sure are having a field day with it!

I rate him highly and am sad to see him leave. He does lack a bit of pace though which I think cos him a few games this year.

He's matured into a very assured player though, see his performance against l'Arse this season at OT. He's made the odd mistake too (Bolton) but overall u have to accept that as he learns.

Im sad to see him go, I thought he had a bright future at United.

Good signing for Barca tbh

Again 1707595071_8aae8100a4.jpg?v=0

And I think it will be more than just a striker.

Yeh i know we have Anderson, still not fully convienced by him either. I hope he proves me wrong, just not sure english football suits him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think we need a right back - Brown isn't good enough (good enough as a stand in and squad player) and I reckon Neville is finished.

No, because Wes Brown can play center half if needed. The one criticism of Brown would be going forward, but apart from that fantastic i think. I actually believe we will sign a RB this summer, but if im wrong and he sign a CB then i'll hold my hands up, but we dont need that. SAF will play O'Shea in the center if needed, even to he's not good enough. I would have liked Pique to stay but £6million is good business.

Em, hasn't Wes Brown got more assists this season then Evra? I never rated Brown at all, until this season when he constantly proved doubters wrong... Fair play to the lad like, and he's still getting stick left right and centre.
    I rate him highly and am sad to see him leave. He does lack a bit of pace though which I think cos him a few games this year.

He's matured into a very assured player though, see his performance against l'Arse this season at OT. He's made the odd mistake too (Bolton) but overall u have to accept that as he learns.

Im sad to see him go, I thought he had a bright future at United.

Good signing for Barca tbh

Cheers, Ill no doubt watch how he does tonight when Argentina play Catalunya... Should be a good game...

That was brilliant i thought. I say the Barca fans loved that knocking Real Madrid.

As for Pique, i believe he will be a good signing for Barca, good defender but as already said lacks pace i think, but is strong i for one will be sorry see him go.

• Advertisement

You never rated Gary Neville?? How long have you been watching United?

No, because Wes Brown can play center half if needed. The one criticism of Brown would be going forward, but apart from that fantastic i think.

And then we have cover at right back? Neville or Hargreaves.

Brown has more goals and assists than Evra, can't be easy playing behind Ronaldo, you saw him playing behind Hargreaves the other night, he got forward alot more, put a couple of decent crosses into the box and was very effective going forward.
    I actually believe we will sign a RB this summer, but if im wrong and he sign a CB then i'll hold my hands up, but we dont need that. SAF will play O'Shea in the center if needed, even to he's not good enough. I would have liked Pique to stay but £6million is good business.

Ferguson may sign a defender, but he will have to pay serious money to improve on what we already have.

Em, hasn't Wes Brown got more assists this season then Evra? I never rated Brown at all, until this season when he constantly proved doubters wrong... Fair play to the lad like, and he's still getting stick left right and centre.

I always liked him as a defender, he does lack concentration at times but over all i think he may have proved a few doubters wrong this season.

Evra for me is the best left back in europe. I really hope he signs a new contract soon.

Yeh i know we have Anderson, still not fully convienced by him either. I hope he proves me wrong, just not sure english football suits him.

We've been watching different players so

We've been watching different players so

I believe we have, but how many manu fans can say they heard of Anderson before we signed him? I never heard of him. I do believe he will be a good player, just dont think it will be at Manu and england.

I believe we have, but how many manu fans can say they heard of Anderson before we signed him?

What in the name of Darren Fletchers haircut has that got to do with whether a player is good or not??

You never rated Gary Neville?? How long have you been watching United?

What has that got to with it? But if you must know 18yrs this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Little-Devil, your knocking of players is laughable.

Brown was a near ever present in a team that won a CL/PL double. He is good enough.

When Carrick arrived at Man Utd, they won the league that season, then the CL/PL the next.

Anderson is going to be a smashing player. Absolutely smashing. English football suits his style. He's a terrier in the middle of the field, and his going forward will get better. Who cares if nobody ever heard of him. So what? I never heard of Olé Solskjaer before he signed for Utd, and he's a bloody legend.

Silly argument.

Des, you said everything I was gonna say there!

What has that got to with it? But if you must know 18yrs this season.

But then you must know Gary Neville is a red and he hates scousers!! :D

Honestly Little Devil, I think you need to seriously rethink you valuation on Uniteds Players.

What in the name of Darren Fletchers haircut has that got to do with whether a player is good or not??

Another player who is worthless, add him to list of goings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I really dont like Carrick either, his range of passing is terrbile unless its 5ft away, but after getting a 4yr contract he's staying which annoyed me as i dont think he is good enough.

That's complete nonsense. Carrick had a slow start to this season, but since has regularly been one of our better players. I certainly don't think Hargreaves has done much to put him out of that position yet.

I believe we have, but how many manu fans can say they heard of Anderson before we signed him? I never heard of him. I do believe he will be a good player, just dont think it will be at Manu and england.

WHAT???? He was 19 when he signed? What do you expect of him??? That's the craziest reason I've ever heard for not liking a player.

Should we let Barcelona and AC Milan "prove" a players worth first?

DesF wrote: »
    Little-Devil, your knocking of players is laughable.

Brown was a near ever present in a team that won a CL/PL double. He is good enough.

When did i say he wasnt good enough? All i said was we need another RB for cover. I have always rated Brown as a defender, so im not suprised he has had a good season and proved others wrong.
    When Carrick arrived at Man Utd, they won the league that season, then the CL/PL the next.

His range of passing is shocking, can't tackle to save his life and on wednesday he was at fault for Chelski goals. I dont believe he is good enough for Manu. Scholes carries that midfield on own at times. Owne Hargreaves is a much all round better player.
    Anderson is going to be a smashing player. Absolutely smashing. English football suits his style. He's a terrier in the middle of the field, and his going forward will get better. Who cares if nobody ever heard of him. So what? I never heard of Olé Solskjaer before he signed for Utd, and he's a bloody legend.

Ok a stupid statement to say who has heard for him before, it was pointless, but in the last few weeks he has not played and from what i hear he likes to party in Manchester which we all know won't go down well with SAF.

Man United fans dont call us Manu!!

Added to what Des said, it takes some bottle to take that penalty like he did. That and Fergies comment about him being able to play anywhere no matter how many people are watching.

did u see him at Anfield this year? Or the Emirates?
    Or how the introduction of himself and Tevez at OT vs l'Arse changed the game? Or how he was the only United playe able to hold onto the ball at the Bridge?

The guy is class with a brass:cool:

Bear in mind he's only 20, he's gonna improve and he's already shown that he can more than hold his own in the physicality stakes....see his matching of Drogba for strength....that alone gives him a great chance.

His range of passing is shocking, can't tackle to save his life and on wednesday he was at fault for Chelski goals. I dont believe he is good enough for Manu.

It was Ferdinands fault, he was in good possession of the ball and passed it straight to Essien 8 seconds before the goal, should he be on his way aswell?

davyjose wrote: »
    I certainly don't think Hargreaves has done much to put him out of that position yet.

Thats because Hargreaves has being injured nearly every other week. I'll look forward to next season when Hargreaves knocks Carrick out of position. Michael Carrick can't even get into the England National team.

Man United fans dont call us Manu!!

Added to what Des said, it takes some bottle to take that penalty like he did. That and Fergies comment about him being able to play anywhere no matter how many people are watching.

did u see him at Anfield this year? Or the Emirates?
    Or how the introduction of himself and Tevez at OT vs l'Arse changed the game? Or how he was the only United playe able to hold onto the ball at the Bridge?

The guy is class with a brass:cool:

Bear in mind he's only 20, he's gonna improve and he's already shown that he can more than hold his own in the physicality stakes....see his matching of Drogba for strength....that alone gives him a great chance.

I'm in no doubt about the guy. He simply WILL be class*.

*If not already.

It was Ferdinands fault, he was in good position of the ball and passed it straight to Essien 8 seconds before the goal, should he be on his way aswell?

Eh No, Carrick was at fault, midfield are ment to track his and Ballack runs and didnt. Everyone could see, even RTE2 panel mentioned and many other fans that i spoke to wednesday/thursday.

Michael Carrick can't even get into the England National team.

Yes because Sven Goran Erikksonn and Steve McClaren are both clearly more attuned to what makes a good player than Ferguson is. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm in no doubt about the guy. He simply WILL be class*.

*If not already.

Yeh, he was brlliant at Anfield and Emirates, i am just not fully convienced as of yet. I'd still have him ahead of Carrick.

His range of passing is shocking, can't tackle to save his life and on wednesday he was at fault for Chelski goals. I dont believe he is good enough for Manu. Scholes carries that midfield on own at times. Owne Hargreaves is a much all round better player.
    IIRC, I was a bit excited now, but didnt Chelsea only score one?

He didnt track his man, but what about his interception off the free kick that was going straight to Drogba?

If u have ever seen him play in person the amount of work he doesnt under the radar is fantastic. I agree, he needs to wake up at times but to outright slate him is stupid.
    Ok a stupid statement to say who has heard for him before, it was pointless, but in the last few weeks he has not played and from what i hear he likes to party in Manchester which we all know won't go down well with SAF.
    Giggsy liked to party back in the day too. Thats why fergie gets them young, so he can mould them into "his" type of player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Eh No, Carrick was at fault, midfield are ment to track his and Ballack runs and didnt. Everyone could see, even RTE2 panel mentioned and many other fans that i spoke to wednesday/thursday.

There's your problem right there, stop listening to that Dunphy goon. Think that's were your getting most of your opinions from.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Fergie hits out a Real over chasing Ronaldo:
    "Calderon says slavery's been abolished... did they tell Franco that? f***ing hell."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/telegraphtv/?ID=Sport&bcpid=1138275681&bclid=1365762219&bctid=1569822892

:D

Thats because Hargreaves has being injured nearly every other week. I'll look forward to next season when Hargreaves knocks Carrick out of position. Michael Carrick can't even get into the England National team.

So you're saying that Jermaine jenas is better yes?

Remember Steve McManaman couldnt get into the England team either. Now as a midfileder the English presses love affair with Lampard and Steven Gerrad mean that unless you put in Zidane-esqu performances every week you;re not going to oust those two NAMES. (I think Gerrard merits his place, but not lamaprd for me)

That point holds no weight with me.

It was his fault for the goal, however, that's not your gripe, little-devil: you reckon that he has no range of passing (you also have doubts about Anderson's ability), which leads me to believe one of two things. Either a) you're Eamon Dunphy, or b) you haven't watched very much football this season. Because you certainly haven't seen the same matches I have.

• Advertisement

Yes because Sven Goran Erikksonn and Steve McClaren are both clearly more attuned to what makes a good player than Ferguson is. :rolleyes:

You and rest want to take those red tinted glasses off. If Michael Carrick was that good then he would be in the england squad ahead of Barry, Hargreaves at least. Fabio Capello is world class manager, won everything like ferguson. I bet if SAF was manager of england, Carrick wouldnt get into the team. I just dont rate or like Carrick and i dont think he is good enough.

I like what Ferguson is doing here: "We're Champions of Europe, so F*ck off back to the Bernebau" is very much his attitude.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Cheers, Ill no doubt watch how he does tonight when Argentina play Catalunya... Should be a good game...

any idea if this game is available anywhere online or otherwise (much less likely) ? wouldent mind watching it. Although it will prob be on at the same time as Trap's first Ireland outing or Munster in the HC final.

It was his fault for the goal, however, that's not your gripe, little-devil: you reckon that he has no range of passing (you also have doubts about Anderson's ability), which leads me to believe one of two things. Either a) you're Eamon Dunphy, or b) you haven't watched very much football this season. Because you certainly haven't seen the same matches I have.

First of Eamon Dunphy is a legend :rolleyes:. I have seeing ever Manu game this season and i've being to Old Trafford 3 times last season. You see alot more when your actually at a game then you do on the TV.

You and rest want to take those red tinted glasses off. If Michael Carrick was that good then he would be in the england squad ahead of Barry, Hargreaves at least. Fabio Capello is world class manager, won everything like ferguson. I bet if SAF was manager of england, Carrick wouldnt get into the team. I just dont rate or like Carrick and i dont think he is good enough.

Red tinted glasses? I think Carrick should most certainly be in the England team, but who am I to argue. I only support the Champions of Europe, not the country due to play Trinidad this week.

• Advertisement

Yeh, he was brlliant at Anfield and Emirates, i am just not fully convienced as of yet. I'd still have him ahead of Carrick.

So a guy who was 19 at the time shows the big game bottle and mentality and you're not convinced he has a future at United?

Maybe u should stop listening to pundits, theyre not always right u know.

pundits nit pick at the best of teams and have unrealistic expectations of players whm blaming them for goals.

Think back to Beckham in 2002 getting blamed for Rivaldo's goal cos he jumped over a 2 footed tackle 60 yards away and 15 or so seconds before. no mention to the players who didnt make the tackles after, no credit to the Brazilians for carving pout the goal, no no...always need a scapegoat.

Chelsea's goal was jammy, 2 deflections and a slip for Edwin. Sure carrick coould maybe have done more but the fact is everything went right for Chelsea in that move..it happens.

First of Eamon Dunphy is a legend :rolleyes:.

Yeah, he really came through about Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

First of Eamon Dunphy is a legend :rolleyes:. I have seeing ever Manu game this season and i've being to Old Trafford 3 times last season. You see alot more when your actually at a game then you do on the TV.

You weren't there this season so how can you pass comment on Carrick?
    I don't support United but I've seen enough to realise all they need for next year is a back up centre back and a holding up type of centre forward.

You're a fan that just wants wants and wants. Never happy with what you have.:rolleyes:

Lads, Im having an argument with my Madridista friend, and Im saying that this Ronaldo situation is completely different to when people likes Ruud, Beckham, Neville and Roy left the club...

Because most of those had caused a sense of disharmony in the dressing room, and thats why SAF sold them. And that even though the initial selling of those players hurt them in the short term, you have become a better team in the long term because of it...

My problem is, I dont fully know the background stories of the controversy that each player caused... Like for example Ruud had a bad relationship with Ronaldo right? Could you give me just a brief overview as to why those players were causing tension in the team?

P.s- sorry to be raining on your little debate... =P

Please stop calling United Manu!! secondlt Dunphy is a plank. He says controlversial things rather than give an opinion cos he's he's a WUM. And people buy it. Im sure he gets a laugh out of people buying his bullsh*t.

Third, you will find a lot of people here attend games, that doesnt make you any more special, in fact it makes it more laughable that u dont rate Carrick.

Game goers know better than anyone how much work Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson, Tevez, Park and Rooney will put into a shift. They appreciate that more than the average moany fan who gives out about the players all the time. Maybe you were too busy taking photos to watch what they werrre doing but I cant believe a game goer said that.

Andersons song was probably the 4 th or 5th most commonly sung song at OT vs Barca in a CL semi. That was the last time I was over, I'll be over again sometime early next year and I doubt much wiull have changed. Just read the threads about him on redcafe. He's hugely popular, which doesnt happen if u have no future at the club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Remember Steve McManaman couldnt get into the England team either. Now as a midfileder the English presses love affair with Lampard and Steven Gerrad mean that unless you put in Zidane-esqu performances every week you;re not going to oust those two NAMES. (I think Gerrard merits his place, but not lamaprd for me)

um think hes saying other CM are playing such as G Barry (or united own Heargreaves) who is keeping Lampard out of Englands first 11 despite supposidly having to put in zidane esque performances due to the english presses love affair with Laps (and Stevie G). Carrick is good, but if most people are honest better could have been got for the money spent on as along with Darren Bent, he is probably one of the best example of a players price being far to much because of his nationality.

and having two PL winners medals and a CL winners medal in the past two years is all well and good but it shouuldnt be a way to judge how good someone is. doesent John O'Shea have the same.

That point holds no weight with me.

Steve Mcmanaman was so over rated it was laughable. Ryan Giggs was a much better player then him at time.

I admit Carrick was never my Favourite and his first season i thought he was rubbish over-all. I will admit that this season he has suprised me at times and has improved somewhat. I would just like to see stop falling asleep, starting tracking back more and stop backing of tackles.

I'm not here for an argument, just my opnion like the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I love the way papers take quotes out of proportion and add a sensational spin to it...

He didn't curse. He said bloody hell.

Lads, Im having an argument with my Madridista friend, and Im saying that this Ronaldo situation is completely different to when people likes Ruud, Beckham, Neville and Roy left the club...

Because most of those had caused a sense of disharmony in the dressing room, and thats why SAF sold them. And that even though the initial selling of those players hurt them in the short term, you have become a better team in the long term because of it...

My problem is, I dont fully know the background stories of the controversy that each player caused... Like for example Ruud had a bad relationship with Ronaldo right? Could you give me just a brief overview as to why those players were causing tension in the team?

P.s- sorry to be raining on your little debate... =P

Jaysus lads, I posted that about 30 seconds ago and theres been about 6 replies ahead of it.

You see alot more when your actually at a game then you do on the TV.
    Really? I'll have to pop along for a game sometime ... if I'm passing :rolleyes:

Listen, I don't want this to get too heated, but I think you're wrong about Carrick, and to use examples such as the England team, or Dunphy, kinda does nothing for your argument.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement