Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Boggles wrote: »
    What the hell do you mean I like to argue???? :pac::pac::pac::pac:

indeed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Theres the difference, If United lose Ronaldo, they won't struggle.

oh i think you are being wayyy too confident there mate, take Ronaldo out of that Utd team this year and you would have struggled.

if he leaves and you dont replace him with a world class player or two, or Rooney/Tevez dont step up to the plate in a massive way, and i think you will "struggle" this coming season.

Only my own opinion, but you cant wax lyrical about how he is the best player in the world by a mile, 42 goals etc and then say but you'll be grand if you sell him.

United would not have won the PL or the CL this year if it wasnt for Ronaldo. most level headed people can admit this.

If he is sold, i'd imagine it'll be for in the region of 60m, i reckon you'll get 30 back to get a replacement.Silva?Benzema?Ben Arfa?Robinho?42 goals? dont think so. so who can? no one.

There is not a player in the world who can replace Ronaldo currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Skud wrote: »
    indeed :)

Getting back to Huntalear thou, that is what he is all about scoring goals. I was flicking between the 2 matches tonight, as far as I could see he had one chance, one goal. He takes up excellent positions and would be a different dimension to our attack.

I think Ferguson should have signed him last season, but he decided to give Saha one more chance. His record at the moment is better than RVN at his age, I'd guess that half of us here would reach double figures in the Dutch league, but it is his ratio at Club and International level that is incredible.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    oh i think you are being wayyy too confident there mate, take Ronaldo out of that Utd team this year and you would have struggled.

Such a null arguement, if you took Santa Cruz out of Blackburn they would have been relegated.
    if he leaves and you dont replace him with a world class player or two, or Rooney/Tevez dont step up to the plate in a massive way, and i think you will "struggle" this coming season.

Define Struggle please?
    Only my own opinion, but you cant wax lyrical about how he is the best player in the world by a mile, 42 goals etc and then say but you'll be grand if you sell him.

Keane left, what did Ferguson do? Replaced him on the team with Carrick, won two back to back titles and the Champions League.

Agreed, there is not a system that Ferguson can conjure up to replace Ronaldo????

It's why he has been the best for 20 years. United Struggle next season - that's the stupidest thing you have ever said on these boards.

Reminds me of the equally stupid statement a few years back "Ferguson will win nothing with the kids".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

United would not have won the PL or the CL this year if it wasnt for Ronaldo. most level headed people can admit this.

If he is sold, i'd imagine it'll be for in the region of 60m, i reckon you'll get 30 back to get a replacement.Silva?Benzema?Ben Arfa?Robinho?42 goals? dont think so. so who can? no one.

Yeah but he's got f*ck all assists, so maybe we'll get someone who can provide our strikers with more opportunities ;) Oh god I feel unclean now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I agree with most of this, Ronaldo and United suit one another, but the fact remains nearly 55 goals came tru him this year, 42 he scored... not replaceable with another player out there imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

only1stevo wrote: »
    Yes id like to expand, he is the 4th choice striker for Holland.
    I watched the match tonight and he was crap, hes nowhere near as good as ruud, and didnt look like he has the potential to become as good as ruud.
    He was so poor, hes a weed, and his goal was a sitter.
    Hes 24, not exactly a spring chicken, I just dont see the potential based on 2night.

I would never judge a player on his performances in the dutch league, its a farce.

So you'll discount his record in the dutch league and rather judge him on one performance in a meaningless match?

Sorry just to add, he scored too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Ronaldo was incredible last season, but I think you've been blinded by the lights a little.
    Firstly, you don't win the Champions league on the back of 1 player. You just don't. You need an incredible squad to do that.
    Secondly, united have been at their worst this season when Rooney hasn't played. I think the guy is being grossly underestimated, and despite my recent criticism of him, I still expect him to step out of the shadow and take the limelight when Ronaldo leaves (Like Ronaldo himself did when RVN left, and suddenly he came into the box more - we'll see how that partnership goes in Madrid next Season :D)

Listen, I don't want him anymore. Like I said before, he's not bigger than this club, so fùck him. The cheek of him to think he can hold us all to ransom. We've lost better players than him (Roy, Eric) and come back from it. We can win without him, of that I have no doubt. And we'll still be a better team than Real Madrid.

Such a null arguement, if you took Santa Cruz out of Blackburn they would have been relegated.

I agree, usually the whole, oh without so and so is a mute argument but not really in this instance. Yes Blackburn would struggle but if they had 15-20 million from his sale they could replace him. Utd cannot replace Ronaldo.
    Define Struggle please?".

3rd/4th
    Keane left, what did Ferguson do? Replaced him on the team with Carrick, won two back to back titles and the Champions League

Tell me you see the difference between Ferguson selling end of career/past it Roy Keane and Christiano Ronaldo before he even enters his prime?
    Agreed, there is not a system that Ferguson can conjure up to replace Ronaldo?????

There is not a system in the world that can replace Ronaldo. That is why he is the best player in the world.
    United Struggle next season - that's the stupidest thing you have ever said on these boards.?"

No, the stupidest thing I've ever said is that you are a "smart enough bloke", and i see it every day on your poxy sig.

I said Utd "could" struggle if ronaldos replacement didnt hit the groud running, in a massive way. Only my opinion.

I'm off to bed.

Trilla wrote: »
    I agree with most of this, Ronaldo and United suit one another, but the fact remains nearly 55 goals came tru him this year, 42 he scored... not replaceable with another player out there imo

Goals can be replaced, Ronaldo can't, simply as that.

We scorded more goals last year in the league, Ronaldo only got half what he did this year.

• Advertisement

3rd/4th

:rolleyes:
    Tell me you see the difference between Ferguson selling end of career/past it Roy Keane and Christiano Ronaldo before he even enters his prime?

My point he changed Keane for Carrick a player who has maybe made 10 tackles in his life, changed the system and was supremely successful.

There is not a system in the world that can replace Ronaldo. That is why he is the best player in the world.

Absolute horse balls, if that was the case United should just fold up.

When Zidane left Juve, they won the League 3 times in a row. Nedved?

No, the stupidest thing I've ever said is that you are a "smart enough bloke", and i see it every day on your poxy sig.

Where it will remain to remind you not to give out to me.

I said Utd "could" struggle if ronaldos replacement didnt hit the groud running, in a massive way. Only my opinion.

You just said you can't replace Ronaldo, which I argee with, but you can certainly replace the goals.
    I'm off to bed.

Good Night, Love! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

3rd/4th

So Liverpool struggle every season then :):pac:

Smegball wrote: »
    So Liverpool struggle every season then :):pac:

yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It will be strange to see how many Utd fans opinions of Ronaldo change when/if he leaves.

i promise a lot of people who denied his diving/bad attitude/going missing, will have their claws out.

football is a funny aul game

Equally the people who have been saying he isn't a worldclass player, overrated etc will be making out that Man Utd losing him will be their downfall

To quote your last line

football is a funny aul game

Getting back to Huntalear thou, that is what he is all about scoring goals. I was flicking between the 2 matches tonight, as far as I could see he had one chance, one goal. He takes up excellent positions and would be a different dimension to our attack.

I think Ferguson should have signed him last season, but he decided to give Saha one more chance. His record at the moment is better than RVN at his age, I'd guess that half of us here would reach double figures in the Dutch league, but it is his ratio at Club and International level that is incredible.

Couldn't agree more, was surprised when we didnt get him last jan tbh. He's another ruud. Now he's meant to be more technically gifted than ruud - so the heights he could reach potentially is immense.
    Manchester United's owners have warned Real Madrid that Cristiano Ronaldo is not for sale at any price.

The Glazer family are adamant that they do not need even a reported world-record £70million transfer fee to boost the club's coffers despite reportedly incurring around £600million of debt when they financed their takeover at Old Trafford three years ago.

Real Madrid remain intent on prising the 23-year-old Portugal international away from the Red Devils, but the American owners have warned the Spanish giants that they are wasting their time.

Ronaldo, who is currently away on international duty at Euro 2008, has so far refused to pledge his future to United despite being just 12 months into a five-year contract.

"There is no way Ronaldo is for sale at all, even if he puts in a transfer request," a source close to the Glazers told The Sun.

"Anyone thinking the debt comes into this is totally ignorant of the facts. The debt is covered comfortably by the interest payments.

"In the three years the family have owned the club, they have shown a clear track record of investment which will continue.

"The Glazers have never meddled in anything the manager has done and never will interfere. All decisions on buying and selling are down to him and if he wants new players the money is there.

"There is no truth in any insinuation we would be willing to talk to Real Madrid about selling Cristiano. That is nonsense.

"The next move is for the manager to talk to Cristiano when he returns for training."
    Can anyone say spanked :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Everything that comes out of United is just posturing until:

1. Ronaldo returns, or does not return for pre-season.
    2. Real make their first bid (which will be rejected immediately, regardless of what they offer)

Its only when both of those happen that the Ronaldo/United/Real issue will start to be sorted.

One thing I do take from this Glazer news, is that if Ronaldo does leave, it won't be for a crap fee like Beckham and Ruud went for.

Tauren wrote: »
    Everything that comes out of United is just posturing until:

1. Ronaldo returns, or does not return for pre-season.
    2. Real make their first bid (which will be rejected immediately, regardless of what they offer)

Its only when both of those happen that the Ronaldo/United/Real issue will start to be sorted.

One thing I do take from this Glazer news, is that if Ronaldo does leave, it won't be for a crap fee like Beckham and Ruud went for.

all this talk of 100 - 120 million was bull from real. They wanted to see how interested the player was and they got their answer. Suddenly the price has dropped to reportedly 50?!? it'll be closer to 100 before it's accepted.

I reckon a bid of around 70million would be accepted. Even if Real were willing to pay 100million for him, it was never going to be their first offer. 50million, as an opening bid, would be massive and a clear indication of just how much Real would be willing to pay for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

You also promised me Alonso was going nowhere, your promises arn't worth the keyboard there typed on.

qft

Solskjaer to use money from testimonial game to build schools in Africa

Jun 18 2008 by Our Correspondent, Daily Post

HE terrorised Premier League defenders for over a decade, now he has a different challenge to face – but none of it is as important to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as building schools in Africa.

After officially retiring from a knee injury 10 months ago, Solskjaer has now been given the job of reserve-team manager by Sir Alex Ferguson.

Before those duties begin in earnest, Solskjaer will turn out at Old Trafford for one last time as United play host to Espanyol in his testimonial game.

And it is the money the 35-year-old hopes to raise on August 2 which, as a father of three young children himself, Solskjaer will use to greater benefit than anything his career in football could achieve.

“I went to Angola a few months ago and you could see clearly how much things were needed down there,” he said.

“The aim through my testimonial is to try and build 10 schools. If I can generate more money through a scheme we have set up in Norway, maybe we can generate enough to build five more.

“As a father, I recognise how helpless these kids are. If it was my children, I would do absolutely anything for them, so it is more important for me to be remembered for helping these people than anything I have done with football.

“It is about building something concrete. It is about changing lives, helping kids get out of the poverty they are in and helping them to become doctors or teachers and able to improve their own communities.”

Meanwhile, the former Red Devils striker also has ambitions of one day taking over from Ferguson.

He said: “I do have ambitions to go into management. I want to stay in the game and I want to stay at this club. But it is just about taking one step at a time.”
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting Community Shield tickets?

"There is no way Ronaldo is for sale at all, even if he puts in a transfer request," a source close to the Glazers told The Sun.

come one lads. you're better than that.

come one lads. you're better than that.
    But unsubstantiated quotes from Terra are to be taken as gospel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

quite simply, no unsubstantiated "source", "insider" "close friend" blah blah should ever be taken as gospel

All will be revealed after the Euros, until then Ive given up paying attention to the Ronaldo stories tbh.

All will be revealed after the Euros, until then Ive given up paying attention to the Ronaldo stories tbh.

yeah that was the approach i took a couple of weeks back, im just using the stories for entertainment purposes now! no point in worrying about it. either he will stay or he will go. the world wont end and i still think he staying anyway

Big difference between quotes from a "source close to someone" and quotes supposedly from a player directly.

Big difference between quotes from a "source close to someone" and quotes supposedly from a player directly.

Tabloids can make up "quotes" too. I only believe videos tbh!

Why? I could type something up right now.

"I am staying with United", Ronaldo said to me last night.

That doesn't make it true, and considering the Terra reporter couldn't say who spoke to Ronaldo, when they spoke to Ronaldo, or where they spoke to Ronaldo (according to the Portugal press officer Ronaldo spoke to NO ONE that day) my "quote" up above is just as valid.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't believe any papers or tabloid shows - Brazilian or otherwise, simply because they don't know.

It would be naive to think that Ferguson or someone from United has not been in contact with Ronaldo, they are his employers, this is real life. United have 2 players in the Portugal camp, I'm sure they respect that they are away on international duty, but if they want to talk to them they can in a heartbeat. I'm sure he has been told in no uncertain terms to shut his beak, until he gets to Manchester.

I have no doubt Ferguson has picked his transfer targets, I for one am glad the rags havn't got wind of them. I would also suggest that if Ferguson is resigned to losing Ronaldo, he has a plan to deal with it.

The notion that United will struggle next season is beyond the realms of ridiculous.

Chelsea - New manager, could be losing 4-5 key players.
    Arsenal - Players are diving into europe en mass.
    Liverpool - Havn't a penny to their to name, more back room worries than Northern Rock.

I'd much prefer to have Uniteds "problems", thank you very much.

Ronaldo called me last night cause i sent him a text asking for clarification, he told me, and this is sad news for all united fans, his exact words were,

"i have decided my future, I wish to return to my native land and play for CD Nacional for the rest of my career"

All that remains now apparently is the two clubs to agree a fee, something in the region of 75euro is thought to be enough to prise the winger away

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ronaldo + transfer speculation = €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€££££££££££££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Brazil are playing Argentina tommorow morning.

1:50 Sky Sports 1

Messi and Tevez both fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

kryogen wrote: »
    Ronaldo called me last night cause i sent him a text asking for clarification, he told me, and this is sad news for all united fans, his exact words were,

"i have decided my future, I wish to return to my native land and play for CD Nacional for the rest of my career"

All that remains now apparently is the two clubs to agree a fee, something in the region of 75euro is thought to be enough to prise the winger away

I was trying to get through to him last night, is he still on the 085 number?

No, he's with Tesco mobile now - he likes the extra club card points. Buys a lot of Cod in tesco, you see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I was trying to get through to him last night, is he still on the 085 number?

Text Sheasy there Gar, he's off the roaming though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I wouldn't believe any papers or tabloid shows - Brazilian or otherwise, simply because they don't know.

It would be naive to think that Ferguson or someone from United has not been in contact with Ronaldo, they are his employers, this is real life. United have 2 players in the Portugal camp, I'm sure they respect that they are away on international duty, but if they want to talk to them they can in a heartbeat. I'm sure he has been told in no uncertain terms to shut his beak, until he gets to Manchester.

I have no doubt Ferguson has picked his transfer targets, I for one am glad the rags havn't got wind of them. I would also suggest that if Ferguson is resigned to losing Ronaldo, he has a plan to deal with it.

The notion that United will struggle next season is beyond the realms of ridiculous.

Chelsea - New manager, could be losing 4-5 key players.
    Arsenal - Players are diving into europe en mass.
    Liverpool - Havn't a penny to their to name, more back room worries than Northern Rock.

I'd much prefer to have Uniteds "problems", thank you very much.
    so chelsea will struggle?

Tauren wrote: »
    considering the Terra reporter couldn't say who spoke to Ronaldo, when they spoke to Ronaldo, or where they spoke to Ronaldo (according to the Portugal press officer Ronaldo spoke to NO ONE that day) my "quote" up above is just as valid.

do you have any links to all the above info?

And tabloids dont make up quotes from people, they make up stories and cover their arse with, "a source close to", "a close friend", "a well placed source" kinda ****e.

The legal implications of making up quotes for someone dont make it worth their while to do that.

do you have any links to all the above info?

And tabloids dont make up quotes from people, they make up stories and cover their arse with, "a source close to", "a close friend", "a well placed source" kinda ****e.

The legal implications of making up quotes for someone dont make it worth their while to do that.

its here in this thread somewhere if you are interested, and the stuff came from a Sky Sports News interview with the reporter of the Terra article.

And yes, tabloids do make stuff up, including quotes from players. News of the World have done so previously, one coming immediately to mind is an 'interview' with Ronaldinho where he confirmed he was signing for United.

I'm sure there is instances of it, but its very very rare.

was any legal action taken against the news of the world?

I didnt see any of those links in this thread, and i frequent it quite regularly as you know :)

• Advertisement

chdpoker wrote: »
    so chelsea will struggle?

Where did I say Chelsea would struggle?

And tabloids dont make up quotes from people

Yes they do, how many times have I watched the post match interviews by managers on a Saturday only to read a completely different interview in the Sunday Rag.

Tabloids lie, they encourage it. If they get sued half a million their policy is, well we made 2 million because of the story. Cha Ching!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Mr.Alan Sky Sports came out and said that the Terra source couldnt backup his allegations.

Their headlines went from:

"RONADLO SAYS HE WANT TO LEAVE MADRID!"

to

"A Brazilian reporter has claimed that Ronaldo has said he wants to leave."

In the space of 15mins.

Im not saying hes defo staying, but i wouldnt believe that Terra thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Brazil are playing Argentina tommorow morning.

1:50 Sky Sports 1

Messi and Tevez both fit.

Argentina's nemesis Adriano is also back fighting fit and in the squad after reforming himself in an impressive loan spell with Sao Paolo. Hopefully he starts, incredible to think he's still only 26!

Also, Anderson should come into the starting XI.

Really looking forward to this game. An under fire Brazil lie 4th in the group at the moment 6 games in after losing to Paraguay at the weekend so expect a big performance from them...these games are always crackers:)

Yes they do, how many times have I watched the post match interviews by managers on a Saturday only to read a completely different interview in the Sunday Rag.

Again,you are letting the headline influence wat you read, the headline will be something shocking. But the quotes will rarely if ever be changed or made up, they'll just put watever slant they want on the quotes with the sensationist headline.

For example in "the mirror" last week the headline was something along the lines of

"Torres and Arragones (sp?) in huge row over subbing!",

but on reading the article, the first line of the article was;

"fernando torres and luis arragones have denied they have had any fallout over the decision to substitue the striker during spains win over Russia"

total non story.

In the case of the Ronaldo quote, it wasnt a headline, it was a quote and it has yet to be rubbished by Ronaldo,Glazier,Ferguson,Gill,Scholari or anyone-which leads me to believe it was leaked by Ronaldo, in a round about way,as Real had said it seemed impossible that he'd leave, but in order to make Madrid aware he wants the move and prepare Utd/fans for the fact, he released a quote to a little known publication on this side of the world, knowing it wuld alert all parties involved.

this is all only my opinion of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Where did I say Chelsea would struggle?
    what were you saying then???

why say utd wont struggle then name other teams probs (which chels dont have) ?

what were you saying then???

It was suggested United would struggle without Ronaldo next season, I pointed out the 3 teams below them have problems too. Doesn't mean they will struggle any more or less. Clear?
    teams probs (which chels dont have) ?

Chelsea have no problems? You off your meds?

New Manager is always a gamble, especially one who hasn't managed a club this side of the equator or been involved in day to day management for the best part of a decade.

An ex loved manager who has just taken a plum job in Italy, who looks set to at least grab Lampard, one of your potent top scorers.

Losing Shev, Drogba.

A keeper who has obviously mental problems.

An aging midfield, poor wingers. Will I go on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

A keeper who has obviously mental problems

Yeah wtf is going on with Cech

Killme00 wrote: »
    Yeah wtf is going on with Cech

Kind of understandable TBH, a cracked skull and 50 face stitches would have the toughest of us thinking twice about sticking your bounce in anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Must be missing something, what's wrong with Cech?

And is Sheva leaving? Been very quiet on the rumour mill recently

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement