Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    I think we'd be stupid to sell Ronaldo. IMO he's only going to get better, I don't see why people think he's not gona do as well as he did last season, if anything he can still improve his game.
    Fergie will tell him to **** off and he'll stay imo

I don't give a **** that he doesn't want to play for the club, tough ****, shouldn't have signed a four year contract.

Also I think the whole situation is amusing. Real Madrid have clearly been bull****ting, talking baout how they would bid 100 million etc, and Ronaldo bought into it. Indeed his quote was like I'll go if they are willing to pay United and me as much as they say. It's all about his ego. He wants to have a huge huge huge transfer fee.
    But Madrid were bull****ting. They can't afford 100 million on one player. They were just using his ego to unsettle him, hoping he'd come out with a transfer request, thus bringing down his price. But he won't do it just yet (partially cause of the money issue)

Either way, Madrid can't afford him.

afaik, the 100m that was being quoted was 60m for Utd and 40m for Ronaldo over the 4/5 years of his deal.

headline of "Real prepare 100m deal" is just more eye catching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mr Alan wrote: »
    afaik, the 100m that was being quoted was 60m for Utd and 40m for Ronaldo over the 4/5 years of his deal.

headline of "Real prepare 100m deal" is just more eye catching.

in fairness unless you can produce a link to this i may have to say your talking ****e Al, i dont remember hearing anything at all like that

i wont be surprised if you can produce evidence of this mind you. just dont remember hearing anything about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

so yeah according to sky sports news reporter ronaldo has said his premier league future is over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

On SSN - Ronaldo says his premier league future is over.

Damn, at least it is coming to a head now. crappy summer on the back of an amazing season. Karma, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Harpy wrote: »
    so yeah according to sky sports news reporter ronaldo has said his premier league future is over!
    Link?? Or was he talking to some bogus brazilian sky sports reporter? :pac:

• Advertisement

No links yet; just breaking news on SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Wow it is so funny to see you all turn on ronaldo so easily, the press really did a good job at winding everyone up this time, if you believe everything you read then liverpool, chelsea, barca, and real will all be sharing david villa,

Ronaldo as much as it pains me to say it will be at united next year, no doubt, the figures being thrown around are all media speculation and real would never be able to pay that money, it would crippple them for christ sake.

It's bad form the way SOME of the united fans are turning on him, he is easily the best player in the world at the moment and won you the premier league last year like almost single handedly... It should be praising him the doubters should be doing.,

kryogen wrote: »
    in fairness unless you can produce a link to this i may have to say your talking ****e Al, i dont remember hearing anything at all like that

cant find any links unfortunately, but i've definately read that somewhere.

Although its funny that a "link" to wat would've only been speculation in papers anyway was needed as proof for that..... but doesnt suffice for other things, ronaldo quotes etc etc ;)

But think about it logically,

Zidane went for 44million, do you think Ronaldo is going to more than double the world record transfer fee!?

i can still see this ronaldo thing draggin on for a few weeks yet by the way despite portugal being out now
    edit: how wrong was i?!

Tauren wrote: »
    On SSN - Ronaldo says his premier league future is over.

Damn, at least it is coming to a head now. crappy summer on the back of an amazing season. Karma, eh?
    Crap thats bad news, but as you say at least its coming to a head now. Interesting few days ahead. Maybe as PHB said Fergie will tell Ronaldo to cop the **** on and remember that Utd made him the player he is today and he only signed a new contract last summer.

its on sky sports news now! its not on the website.. the reporter kept saying the audio recording will be on his website but i didn't get the name of the website..
    he said he made the decision some time ago and he will announce it in the next 2 days..
    could be more bullsh*t, just saying what im seeing in front of me

• Advertisement

stick-dan wrote: »
    Wow it is so funny to see you all turn on ronaldo so easily, the press really did a good job at winding everyone up this time, if you believe everything you read then liverpool, chelsea, barca, and real will all be sharing david villa,

Ronaldo as much as it pains me to say it will be at united next year, no doubt, the figures being thrown around are all media speculation and real would never be able to pay that money, it would crippple them for christ sake.

It's bad form the way SOME of the united fans are turning on him, he is easily the best player in the world at the moment and won you the premier league last year like almost single handedly... It should be praising him the doubters should be doing.,

Its also amazing how, in the eyes of opposition fans, Ronaldo has gone from an over-rated big game bottler, not fit to lace the boots of Kaka or Messi, to undoubtedly the best player in the world.

Apparently Ronaldo spoke to Guillem Balague after the game and said it was a dream to join Real and that he had made his decision a long time ago (SO ANNOUNCE IT INSTEAD OF HORRIBLY DISRESPECTING EVERY SINGLE UNITED FAN YOU GIT) and that he would formally announce his decision in two days.

Its also amazing how, in the eyes of opposition fans, Ronaldo has gone from an over-rated big game bottler, not fit to lace the boots of Kaka or Messi, to undoubtedly the best player in the world.

very good point!

Sporting life have a different take on a interview with him (possibly a different interview, i don't know)

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/06/19/EURO_Por-Portugal_Ronaldo.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has hinted very strongly that he is looking to leave the European champions for Real Madrid this summer.

The 23-year-old, following Portugal's 3-2 defeat to Germany in the quarter-finals of Euro 2008, spoke about his club future.

"In two or three days time I will announce my future because the tournament is over for me," he said in Portuguese after the game.

"I will speak to Manchester United.

"I will try to reach an agreement and we will see."

Ronaldo helped fire United to a Premier League and Champions League double this season.

When asked if he has made a decision regarding a move to Real Madrid, he replied: "No, not yet."

The winger, one of the world's top players, is still under contract with the Red Devils but Spanish champions Real have been in hot pursuit of him since the end of the season.

Sporting life have a different take on a interview with him (possibly a different interview, i don't know)

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/06/19/EURO_Por-Portugal_Ronaldo.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has hinted very strongly that he is looking to leave the European champions for Real Madrid this summer.

The 23-year-old, following Portugal's 3-2 defeat to Germany in the quarter-finals of Euro 2008, spoke about his club future.

"In two or three days time I will announce my future because the tournament is over for me," he said in Portuguese after the game.

"I will speak to Manchester United.

"I will try to reach an agreement and we will see."

Ronaldo helped fire United to a Premier League and Champions League double this season.

When asked if he has made a decision regarding a move to Real Madrid, he replied: "No, not yet."

The winger, one of the world's top players, is still under contract with the Red Devils but Spanish champions Real have been in hot pursuit of him since the end of the season.
    The plot thickens, not looking good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sky sports news are not really concentrating on it that much considering they have raped the rumours in the last few weeks

Jaysus he is a git aint he, he should just announce it!!!

cant find any links unfortunately, but i've definately read that somewhere.

Although its funny that a "link" to wat would've only been speculation in papers anyway was needed as proof for that..... but doesnt suffice for other things, ronaldo quotes etc etc ;)

im not saying i would believe it, it would just show me your not making it up! ;)

Alan, you have to let those "quotes" go man, even Madrid people are still on record as of today as saying everything is just speculation and they are waiting to hear to hear Ronaldo say he wants to play for Madrid before they approach the club!

Move on my friend!

Zidane went for 44million, do you think Ronaldo is going to more than double the world record transfer fee!?

There is a lot more money in football now, and Ronaldo is worth more in merchandising terms then Zidane. Compare the price players went for on average when Zidane was bought, to the average price now. Inflation.

if Shevchenko was worth 31million pounds,when pretty much past it and coming to the end of his career at the age of 30 then surely its not too much to imagine Ronaldo going for 80+ since he is 23, the worlds hottest property, and with his best years ahead of him is it?

Yeah bt come on 100million, that's ridiculous.:O

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    Sky sports news are not really concentrating on it that much considering they have raped the rumours in the last few weeks

i can think of at least one big reason for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just put me out my my misery Cristiano

I just hope we get a good price

Yeah bt come on 100million, that's ridiculous.:O

Real Madrid are ridiculus, and i didnt say 100 million did i?

Jaysus he is a git aint he, he should just announce it!!!

I'm sure he wants to tell Alex Ferguson his decision first before telling everyone else..well if he's leaving he'd want to tell him first anyway..

I say he's still tryin to get another contract off united(or maybe im just praying for that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

That article is either him pretty much leaving or him angling for an even better deal. It wouldnt surprise me either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Harpy wrote: »
    I say he's still tryin to get another contract off united(or maybe im just praying for that)

Here's hoping! Pretty deplorable way to go about it of course. But if it means we get another year or 2 out of him, :):):)

There is a lot more money in football now, and Ronaldo is worth more in merchandising terms then Zidane. Compare the price players went for on average when Zidane was bought, to the average price now. Inflation.

I'm not so sure Tauren, obviously the average amount spent on players has increased, but its not near by that much.

And also its more that the average players cost more, the great players are still going for the same kinda figures if not less.

For example the top 5 most expensive players ever are from 1999-2001. this is not a coincidence imo. player power is the number 1 thing these days.

i think Ronaldo will break the record alright, but be suprised if he smashed it.

i never meant to imply that you did, but it is all we have heard the last few weeks; 100m bid by real for ronaldo

i can think of at least one big reason for that

actually i have sky sports news on, and after every break on they announce it as their main news, and had ballague on the phone explaining wat happened.

• Advertisement

i have it on now, waiting for it, didnt hear Guillem yet, are you a fan of his for this particular story?

the headline in the bar says Ronaldo to make decision in 2 days

im assuming that at 12 i will hear the full story cause them saying that he said he will announce his decision in 2 days and him saying hes deffo gone = 2 + 2 = 7

This is the story Sky are running on their website. He will decide his future in 2 or 3 days.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3712466,00.html

well that story has changed fairly fast

the story on skyports website now
    and checked that reporters website and no sign of this audio file he said would be there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

i think Ronaldo will break the record alright, but be suprised if he smashed it.

Why would United sell though? 4 year contract, so theres no risk of losing him on the cheap.

Ronaldo's ego is too big for him not to give 100% on the pitch every week.

Why would United sell him? Especially since Fergie only has two more years and is after more European Cups

IMO the only way he will go is if he actually smashes the transfer record. Every player has their price after all. But Uniteds price would be absolutely massive.

This is the story Sky are running on their website. He will decide his future in 2 or 3 days.

yep, thats the one i read too, now where in that did he say his premiership future is over?

do you think maybe they took him saying "The tournament is over for me" and gave it a few extra legs by any chance to make it sound like an exclusive?

there would deffo be something more then what im seeing on SSN right now if he had actually said that and its not just embellishing of quotes

Why would United sell though? 4 year contract, so theres no risk of losing him on the cheap.

Because, realistically, no club keeps a player who wants to leave.

Especially when they can make massive money from him as opposed to him refusing to play/not playing as well etc etc and his value drastically dropping.

guess we'll just have to wait and see, just cant see the record jumping from 44m to 100m!:eek:
    i have it on now, waiting for it, didnt hear Guillem yet, are you a fan of his for this particular story?

Yea i like Ballague, bit of a tit sometimes, lets me down by promising lovely signings that dont come to pass, or killing rumours that i like! :) but he is a mate of Rafas so he must be a top bloke ;)

• Advertisement

Seems to me like he is using real's interest as a bargaining chip to get a better deal at united.

yep, thats the one i read too, now where in that did he say his premiership future is over?

do you think maybe they took him saying "The tournament is over for me" and gave it a few extra legs by any chance to make it sound like an exclusive?

there would deffo be something more then what im seeing on SSN right now if he had actually said that and its not just embellishing of quotes
    Thats a possibity alright. But as PHB says whatever happens Utd are in the driving seat.

they had it as the breaking news you know at the bar at the bottom at first..
    and when the reporter was on first he was all like 'yeah he said his premier league future is over', he said' he didn't say straight out he was going to real madrid but said his premier league future was over' and the reporter kept saying the audio file will be on my website in ten minutes
    me now thinks someone just wanted loads of hits on his website!!:mad:

its on ssn now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Because, realistically, no club keeps a player who wants to leave.

Why?

Especially when they can make massive money from him as opposed to him refusing to play/not playing as well etc etc and his value drastically dropping.

guess we'll just have to wait and see, just cant see the record jumping from 44m to 100m!:eek:

That's the thing do. Do you honestly think that either A. Ronaldo would refuse to play? B. He would not play as well

Even if he refused to play, as the Glaziers already said, they'd let him rot in the stands. This isn't just a matter of Ronaldos transfer, its a matter of principle that carries over about how we do business in the transfer market.

You honestly think Fergie is going to cave?
    Even if he does, it has to be for huge money.
    Why? Ronaldo is 23, the best player in the world, and has huge marketing value. We have him on contract for 4 years.
    In those 4 years, do you not think he is worth 100 million to United, marketing and team victories combined? Maybe he's not worth 100 million, but he's bloody close to it.

Also, the idea that he value is going to get less I never understand. Has Ronaldo given any indication he isn't able to perform at the same levels he did last year? If anything, he's still getting better!

Then when you consider the fact he has pulled this ****e before, surprise suprise after an international tournament, and United have convinced him to sign a new contract. Keep him around for another year, see if we can do that again.

Player power is a myth, a myth used by agents. Players have some power. But when they sign a 4 year contract, they lose a lot of it.

he got plenty of hits and he is somewhat unreliable tbh.

Guillem even covered himself by saying Ronaldo didnt say it directly to him to protect his own ass, it wouldnt be the first time he has been "wrong"

the website is full of traffic at the moment

ill wait and check back again, but really, i wouldnt be taking what he says as gospel unless i hear it with my own ears from Ronnies mouth

@ Mr.Alan, i personally dont think it will be 100million, but i dont see why you cant understand the price being circa 80+ million

nothing Guillem has said here is new tbh, all this has been speculated on before, until i hear him say it i will keep faith with him

• Advertisement

its quite funny to me that the only thing i can find about the Ronaldo issue on Guillem Balagues own website!!!!! is the story that sky are running that his decision will be made in 2 or 3 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why? We havn't seen anything like Ronaldo in a generation, just this season if you include euro qualifiers he has 46 goals and 15+ assists. At 23 I would suggest he hasn't peaked yet.

Zidane was 29 when he went for the record, he scored 20 odd goals for Juve in 4 years.

Why?

I cannot think of a player off hand who stayed at a club that they no longer wanted to play for. a player who really does not want to be there will not be of real benefit to a club imo and Ferguson will know this.
    That's the thing do. Do you honestly think that either A. Ronaldo would refuse to play? B. He would not play as well

A.its a possibilty, i think he is selfish and egotistical and doesnt care about any club, only himself, if not playing, or threatening not to play helped him get wat he wanted, i think he may do it.
    B. form flucuates, but his "form" will have a massive impact on his value, its a risk to keep him expecting that he'll maintain the same form.
    Even if he refused to play, as the Glaziers already said, they'd let him rot in the stands. This isn't just a matter of Ronaldos transfer, its a matter of principle that carries over about how we do business in the transfer market.

So the Glaziers would turn their nose up at 60m-100m pound and let him rot and move on for a much more regular fee next year not having played for a full season? or for free after that again? easy for SAF to say they'd do that, another thing altogether for them to actually do it.
    You honestly think Fergie is going to cave?

not sure. he wanted to keep Rossi but was willing to let him go because the player wanted to(i know you still cry about that by the way!;))
    Even if he does, it has to be for huge money.

I agree. break the world record. i'd reckon around 60m, could be 100m but as i said, i'd be suprised.
    Why? Ronaldo is 23, the best player in the world, and has huge marketing value. We have him on contract for 4 years.

because he wants to play for another club. and that club is willing to break the transfer record for him. as above, i dont think any club incl real,utd,chelsea,liverpool etc would keep a player who didnt wanna be there.
    In those 4 years, do you not think he is worth 100 million to United, marketing and team victories combined? Maybe he's not worth 100 million, but he's bloody close to it.

I have no idea.
    Also, the idea that he value is going to get less I never understand. Has Ronaldo given any indication he isn't able to perform at the same levels he did last year? If anything, he's still getting better!

but thats not the way it works with players, you know this, he may stay the same ability, he may get better and better, he may disimprove-you dont know. i saw no indication in alonsos first season for us that he wouldnt maintain or improve over his next few seasons, why hasnt he recaptured that? football is a funny game.
    Then when you consider the fact he has pulled this ****e before, surprise suprise after an international tournament, and United have convinced him to sign a new contract. Keep him around for another year, see if we can do that again.

it was never as bad as this before iirc, and as you said you managed to convince him once already, chances of convincing him again are slim to none i'd imagine.
    Player power is a myth, a myth used by agents. Players have some power. But when they sign a 4 year contract, they lose a lot of it.

i dont agree at all. the fact that pretty much every player who has wanted to leave a club in the last number of years has left is testament to this.

Boggles wrote: »
    Why? We havn't seen anything like Ronaldo in a generation, just this season if you include euro qualifiers he has 46 goals and 15+ assists. At 23 I would suggest he hasn't peaked yet.

Zidane was 29 when he went for the record, he scored 20 odd goals for Juve in 4 years.

Stop it.

It is generally accepted that ronaldo is the best player in the world at the minute, but he is not the best player ever, and not the best player of this generation even.

just stop. he has a lot more to do before he can be called that. he definately has the ability to do it though, but he aint close to it yet.

there is more to football than goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Seems to me like he is using real's interest as a bargaining chip to get a better deal at united.

I agree. The fact he talked about "reaching a deal" with United means, to me, he ask for a better deal, and if that's not forthcoming, a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

there is more to football than goals.

There is?

I'm not Just talking about football, Ronaldo as the whole package. Can't name a player in my lifetime like him.

i havent heard Ronaldo say he wants to leave

as before the only official interviews with Ronaldo have him on camera saying he wants to continue in Manchester

if this has changed then so be it, but until i hear him say it, on camera, or an official statement from the club to that effect. i will not be swayed by sensationalist journos

speaking of repeating the form of last season, Alan, you have started well this season with your post counts in the United thread (your real club) do you think you can maintain this good form and live up to or maybe eclipse your imressive showing from last season? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

If we offer him more money id say he will stay but I doubt highly they will give him the mad contract Real have on the table

Boggles wrote: »

I'm not Just talking about football, Ronaldo as the whole package. Can't name a player in my lifetime like him.

Two syllables:Phil Babb.

i havent heard Ronaldo say he wants to leave

as before the only official interviews with Ronaldo have him on camera saying he wants to continue in Manchester

if this has changed then so be it, but until i hear him say it, on camera, or an official statement from the club to that effect. i will not be swayed by sensationalist journos

speaking of repeating the form of last season, Alan, you have started well this season with your post counts in the United thread (your real club) do you think you can maintain this good form and live up to or maybe eclipse your imressive showing from last season? ;)
    I agree completely.
    Forget about how much Ronaldo is worth the big question is how much is Mr Alan worth! :) :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement