Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kinaldo wrote: »
    apparently the highest points tally gained in La Liga history is poor form...

Oh I see. My bad. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Oh I see. My bad. :rolleyes:

My don't you feel quite the fool now!:D:rolleyes:

So lads...who is the new number 7 going to be?

Anderson, imo, is the only player in the team at the moment that would suit the number 7, but then he isn't a starter all the time, so I dunno.

Can't think of anyone on the market that I would go for.

Crazy idea though..... Ronaldinho to United and get his ass kicked back into shape by Fergie? On his day he is possibly the best play maker in the world.... Ronaldino, Eto'o and Deco to replace Ronnie?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd still take Ronaldinho. IMO he just needs a new challenge. He's still an amazing player.

Agrred - though i doubt that we are in the running for him - I imagine his future will be sorted long before Ronaldo's is. Though, if Ronaldinho was still available if/when Ronaldo leaves, it could then become a possibilityl

David Beckham, despite being the most marketable player on the planet ever, and despite signing a 3 year contract extension in 2002, moved to Real Madrid for 24 million pounds in 2003.

Obviously, the situation with Ronaldo is different, but Man Utd aren't holding all the cards here.

In terms of transfer price, When Real Madrid wanted to sign Beckham, they asked for Uniteds price, and they were told and laughed and said peanuts. Beckham was sold for an incredibly incredibly cheap price, and Madrid bragged that they made it back in shirts in a year.

But the point I'm making is that when you combine the fact that he is possibly the most marketable player in the world with the fact he will ensure you are going to really challenge in the league and maybe in the CL, and he's got 4 years, you can really see why the press talk about 100 million, cause its close to what hes actually worth.
    What do you makes of the rumours that Real have offered to pay any fines that Ronaldo incurs if he decides to skip Man Utd's pre-season? This could go the way of Anelka's move from Arsenal to Real, and get very ugly.

It could. But it's all about how willing United are to stand up to Real. Keep in mind, Fergie actually despites Real (partly because they both think they are the biggest club in the world, partly because they are even more arrogant than they are)

p.s. if he does go to Madrid, I"d be utterly shocked if it was for pure cash, because there's no way Madrid have it. Ramos has already suggested he was flattered by Uniteds interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I really dont think Ronaldo is the most marketable player on the planet by the way, are yous basing that on anything other than his form over the last 2 years?

I can think of one advert for a **** car, but nothing else that he did on his own? am i missing something?

Form does not equal marketability.

I think his marketability will never be as strong as numerous other footballers currently because a lot of people really dont like him. He polarises peoples opinions in a massive way, some love, a lot hate.

PS: PHB, who are you quoting? and i agree about Ronaldinho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I really dont think Ronaldo is the most marketable player on the planet by the way, are yous basing that on anything other than his form over the last 2 years?

I can think of one advert for a **** car, but nothing else that he did on his own? am i missing something?

Form does not equal marketability.

I think his marketability will never be as strong as numerous other footballers currently because a lot of people really dont like him. He polarises peoples opinions in a massive way, some love, a lot hate.

PS: PHB, who are you quoting? and i agree about Ronaldinho

Who is then?

I would say Ronaldoinho, Kaka and Henry are three more marketable players off the top of my head.

Beckham is still more marketable than him by a long shot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Tauren wrote: »
    Crazy idea though..... Ronaldinho to United and get his ass kicked back into shape by Fergie? On his day he is possibly the best play maker in the world.... Ronaldino, Eto'o and Deco to replace Ronnie?:D

I'd take Deco and E'to at the drop of a hat.

But I think the point with Ronaldinho is that he doesn't feel he has anything to prove and at this point is just looking for the biggest payoff.

Winning the Champions League is one thing. Defending it will be quite another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson etc etc etc etc

Every manager signs the odd donkey. It just so happens that ours don't make the starting 11 for most games, ala Dirk Kuyt. That was my point :p

• Advertisement

Y2J-sending a PM, way off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I think his marketability will never be as strong as numerous other footballers currently because a lot of people really dont like him.

How many Ronaldo shirts have been sold? How many Ronaldo t-shirts have been sold? Surely in the top 5 at least.

I'd disagree that Kaka is more marketable than him.

Beckham, yes, but Ronaldo still has 4-5 years to reach his peak. Beckham has been around for what, 10-12 years, Ronaldo has been around for 5. He will become more marketable if he moves, the media will create a frenzy sure.

Ronaldinho, possibly....form doesn't relate to marketability? Well if that isn't the biggest crock of sh!t I've heard in a long time.

So, you're equally inclined to buy a Ronaldinho shirt this year with his alcohol problems and his failure to get in the Barcelona team as after the Champions League winning year when he was absolutely on fire??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Manchester United will be relieved this morning after hearing that their Brazilian midfielder Anderson escaped serious injury while playing for his country against Argentina in a World Cup qualifier.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ronaldo had an absolute howler of a game yesterday......deco had a blinder, i hope deco gets all the headlines for the next while "is he going to chelski, is he not", take some of the limelight off ronnie, then he will have to come out and say "im stayin with united-just to show im better than deco" :pac:

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    How many Ronaldo shirts have been sold? How many Ronaldo t-shirts have been sold? Surely in the top 5 at least.

No idea. but there is massive difference between top 5 though and worlds most marketable player. there is far more to marketing than shirt sales. in fact i would hazard a guess thats only a small fraction of it.
    I'd disagree that Kaka is more marketable than him.??

I've seen numerous adverts with Kaka as the model in them for very high brow products, Rolex and Versace among other if i'm not mistaken. as well as the usual stuff footballers do.

Beckham, yes, but Ronaldo still has 4-5 years to reach his peak. Beckham has been around for what, 10-12 years, Ronaldo has been around for 5. He will become more marketable if he moves, the media will create a frenzy sure.

Again as i said, i dont think Ronaldo has the same potential in marketing sense as Beckham, not as good looking (ghey) and hence does not appeal to women in the same way, also ronaldos wife wasnt in the biggest most bestest girl group of all time, and he divides peoples opinions in a massive way, some love a lot hate.

form doesn't relate to marketability? Well if that isn't the biggest crock of sh!t I've heard in a long time.

coming just after you say beckham is more marketable than Ronaldo, you can see why this made me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Wow this all blew up very quickly. Poor old Kroygen was nearly on his own trying to fight the good fight.

I am of the same position I have been in for weeks. Until I see him on camera or at least on tape declaring out right in plain English I want to move to Real then I believe he will be a Manchester United player next season. That interview could be taken a number of ways. Why hasn't an audio link been published of it like he said there would be?

The good thing about last night is Portugal got knocked out meaning a number of things, less press access to Ronaldo, Ronaldo has to return to Manchester for medical treatment, and this should all be sorted quickly as soon as Fergie gets his hands on Ronaldo with possibly a sweetener from Gill.

At the moment the Ronaldo argument is rather pointless as it all based on opinions. Your opinion of these interviews, your opinion of Ronaldo, of Ferguson, and of the Glaziers. There are no facts, that’s why the major sites are running the story as Ronaldo drops quit hint (note not demand) and Ronaldo to announce his future in two/three days(heard that before).

My opinion is he will be staying after getting an improved image rights deal so he can launch and get a decent cut from the CR7 range.

Well, United aren't showing signs of backing down...

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=6612192

United: Ronaldo 'not for sale'

Further to Friday’s press speculation about where Cristiano Ronaldo’s future lies, the club has moved to reiterate its stance on the matter: United are not listening to offers.

Ronaldo has continually been linked with a move to Spanish side Real Madrid this summer.

But the club reaffirmed to ManUtd.com on Friday morning that the 23-year-old United star is “not for sale”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=6612192

Further to Friday’s press speculation about where Cristiano Ronaldo’s future lies, the club has moved to reiterate its stance on the matter: United are not listening to offers.

Ronaldo has continually been linked with a move to Spanish side Real Madrid this summer.

But the club reaffirmed to ManUtd.com on Friday morning that the 23-year-old United star is “not for sale”.

Seriously do ppl still want him if he's going to be acting like this for next two years? I know he's one of our best players but if he doesn't want to play for the club and acts whatever way he wants we should just take the money... Plus how much of an influence will it have on the dressing room (esp Nani and Anderson) and the fans (during matches). TBH i dont care at this stage what happens just ****ing stay or go... and drop it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Whether United want to sell or not really isn't the point of the whole thing though is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ah please God let there be a solution to this soon

Ha - we'll still be discussing this come August I reckon (which will also completely screw up transfer plans)

Skud wrote: »
    Seriously do ppl still want him if he's going to be acting like this for next two years? I know he's one of our best players but if he doesn't want to play for the club and acts whatever way he wants we should just take the money... Plus how much of an influence will it have on the dressing room (esp Nani and Anderson) and the fans (during matches)

I would say very very little. This should be finished within the next few days. Then there is well over a month before the season starts where it will be forgotten about (just like it was last time), and with one or two new signings I imagine it will all be forgotten about and Viva Ronaldo will still be sung to the rafters at OT.

As for Anderson and Nani, I cant see how this would have an effect on them. Maybe you could explain? I know they are good friends with Ronaldo but they also know that they have a long way to go before reaching his level. If anything it will make them and the whole team work harder to show that it isn't all about Ronaldo.

EDIT: To answer your question. Do I still want the player who is currently reagarded as the best and most effective in the world right now playing at Manchester United. Yes yes I do.

Looks like it'll be just like Drogba 2 years ago, he'll be kept ragardless what he does. He wont get the same affection from the fans after this though.

PS - Mr Alan...the amount of times u used words "guess", "imagine" and "I dont know" in that post suggests that you'd be better off arguing about Ronaldo as a player rather than his marketability. We dont live in Portugal or Asia so unless we carry out our own empirical analysis its hard to say how marketable he is. The most i'm gonna say (cos I flat out dont know) is that Id imagine that he's ONE OF the most marketable players in football, which will be boosted by him likely becomming World and European player of the year as well as UEFA MVP, and that combined with his superb form over the last 2 years and his array of tricks (which help marketability) will make him worth a fortune. He polarises peoples opinions in the UK because he plays for United, dont be so naive to think that Kaka doesnt polarise peoples opinions in Italy.....

Seriously do ppl still want him if he's going to be acting like this for next two years? I know he's one of our best players but if he doesn't want to play for the club and acts whatever way he wants we should just take the money... Plus how much of an influence will it have on the dressing room (esp Nani and Anderson) and the fans (during matches). TBH i dont care at this stage what happens just ****ing stay or go... and drop it!

I want him to leave and have said so for a while now. Its unlikely he'll be worth as much this time next year also. His attitue stinks tbh. I hope he gets the cold shoulder from the fans if he stays. By this I dont mean boo him as thats unacceptable but I just hope they stop sionging his songs and feeding his ego.

Whether United want to sell or not really isn't the point of the whole thing though is it.

Depends on what point you are talking about.

Ronaldo has no buy out clause and his contract is protected. There is no way for him to FORCE United to sell him, they could put him in the reserves for the year if they wanted to. Just because a player wants to leave, doesn't mean he will do.

Look at Hargreaves, United had to wait an extra season to get him. He wanted to move and united wanted him - didn't mean Munich were forced to sell him though.

Barry wants to move and Liverpool want to sign him, latest reports have liverpool dropping their interest because Villa won't sell for a price Livepool will pay.

Vieira apparently wanted to sign for United a couple of times, but Arsenal wouldn't sell.

Ronaldinho wanted to go to Milan, and had agreed a contract with them. Barcelona wouldn't accept the Milan bid so he has not gone there.

• Advertisement

I would say very very little. This should be finished within the next few days. Then there is well over a month before the season starts where it will be forgotten about (just like it was last time), and with one or two new signings I imagine it will all be forgotten about and Viva Ronaldo will still be sung to the rafters at OT.

As for Anderson and Nani, I cant see how this would have an effect on them. Maybe you could explain? I know they are good friends with Ronaldo but they also know that they have a long way to go before reaching his level. If anything it will make them and the whole team work harder to show that it isn't all about Ronaldo.

EDIT: To answer your question. Do I still want the player who is currently reagarded as the best and most effective in the world right now playing at Manchester United. Yes yes I do.

Well anderson was quoted at the start of the summer as saying the only thing he doesn't do with ronaldo is sleep with him... Given the very public welcoming party the trio had I wouldn't say that assessment is far off. No i don't have a link, i'm too hungover to look for it :)

Who's to say in 2-3 years anderson won't want the same thing? and we'll be right back in this position...

EDIT: anyone got legal links to watch the highlights of the match last night? I missed it :)

Well its the be all and end all of whether he'll go though. He has 4 years left on his contract and as Drogba learned, u cant just walk out with that long remaining if the club insist you stay.

However I know what you mean. He should stop making vague comments.

Looks like it'll be just like Drogba 2 years ago, he'll be kept ragardless what he does. He wont get the same affection from the fans after this though.

PS - Mr Alan...the amount of times u used words "guess", "imagine" and "I dont know" in that post suggests that you'd be better off arguing about Ronaldo as a player rather than his marketability. We dont live in Portugal or Asia so unless we carry out our own empirical analysis its hard to say how marketable he is. The most i'm gonna say (cos I flat out dont know) is that Id imagine that he's ONE OF the most marketable players in football, which will be boosted by him likely becomming World and European player of the year as well as UEFA MVP, and that combined with his superb form over the last 2 years and his array of tricks (which help marketability) will make him worth a fortune. He polarises peoples opinions in the UK because he plays for United, dont be so naive to think that Kaka doesnt polarise peoples opinions in Italy.....

apparently the CR7 brand is big and getting bigger - that's one of the problems with the supposed move to Real - Raul will be number 7 so Cristiano will lose a lot of money from Nike/the brand.

Well anderson was quoted at the start of the summer as saying the only thing he doesn't do with ronaldo is sleep with him... Given the very public welcoming party the trio had I wouldn't say that assessment is far off. No i don't have a link, i'm too hungover to look for it :)

Who's to say in 2-3 years anderson won't want the same thing? and we'll be right back in this position...

EDIT: anyone got legal links to watch the highlights of the match last night? I missed it :)

I never doubted how close they were, I asked you to explain how this could effect them. Heinze and Ronaldo were close yet Heinze wanted to go to Liverpool not Real while Ronnie wants to go to Real and I'm pretty sure not Liverpool. Players want what they want. I dont think other players have a large effect on this.

Well Anderson has a long way to go before that happens. Real always go after the "flavour" of the year every year. Wether it be Ronaldo, Kaka, Zidane, Figo, the other Ronaldo. If Anderson reaches that bracket(not saying he will or wont) then I would expect Real or any other of the big clubs to come after him.

Top players are wanted by top clubs, it happens.

Yes its not the best example for the "younger" players but there are plenty around the club that set the right example.

apparently the CR7 brand is big and getting bigger - that's one of the problems with the supposed move to Real - Raul will be number 7 so Cristiano will lose a lot of money from Nike/the brand.

Plus the fact they are an addidas sponsored team. I think this CR7 thing is really a big thing to him, its why he switched from 17 to 7 for Portugal this tournament.

• Advertisement

Well Anderson has a long way to go before that happens. Real always go after the "flavour" of the year every year. Wether it be Ronaldo, Kaka, Zidane, Figo, the other Ronaldo. If Anderson reaches that bracket(not saying he will or wont) then I would expect Real or any other of the big clubs to come after him.

Top players are wanted by top clubs, it happens. .

ive said it before after last nights performance they may start eye'ing deco instead of ronnie, i hope they do, just to take the heat of ronnie for a bit!

I never doubted how close they were, I asked you to explain how this could effect them. Heinze and Ronaldo were close yet Heinze wanted to go to Liverpool not Real while Ronnie wants to go to Real and I'm pretty sure not Liverpool. Players want what they want. I dont think other players have a large effect on this.

No but i think the fact that they are close could increase the power of any potential future offers from Real for example. nobody knows I guess and don't have to worry about it, just get this crap over and done with first. :)

ive said it before after last nights performance they may start eye'ing deco instead of ronnie, i hope they do, just to take the heat of ronnie for a bit!

I doubt it. Not because I doubt Decos class (he f*ckin amazin alot of the time) but because Ronaldo is younger, has more "star" quality, and more flair. Lets face it although Real have bought some of the best players in the world. They never buy players to make a team, the buy the most exciting players and then try build a team with them.

is the CR7 thing not to do with his boots? cant he wear watever boots he wants at Real?

and Neil, i use "i reckon","i'd guess" etc because as you said, i dont know....all i can do is give my opinion on the matter, stange that you take exception to that but you dont seem to have a problem with posts for the last couple of months declaring him as the most marketable player in the world with nothing to back it up, in fact from wat we see in western europe, it seemed to being said in spite of the evidence to the contrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

wat

they won the league, but have a look at how many games they lost. im not gonna explain every detail to you, they were poor. the fact that the rest of the teams were poorer doesnt mean much to me

No but i think the fact that they are close could increase the power of any potential future offers from Real for example. nobody knows I guess and don't have to worry about it, just get this crap over and done with first. :)

The other option is Ronaldo moves to Real turns out crap for him, stays in touch with Nani and Anderson and tells them never to leave Utd (like Beckham has). All in all that is not something worth thinking about or arguing about as it not something that would happen for at least two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kinaldo wrote: »
    apparently the highest points tally gained in La Liga history is poor form...

take your condescending tone elsewhere if you dont mind, if a team in England lost 7 times in a season do you think they would win the league? dont answer that.

The other option is Ronaldo moves to Real turns out crap for him, stays in touch with Nani and Anderson and tells them never to leave Utd (like Beckham has). All in all that is not something worth thinking about or arguing about as it not something that would happen for at least two years.

who says that would work? ronnie didnt listen to becks so nani and anderson may not listen to ronnie!

is the CR& thing not to do with his boots? cant he wear watever boots he wants at Real?

and Neil, i use "i reckon","i'd guess" etc because as you said, i dont know....all i can do is give my opinion on the matter, stange that you take exception to that but you dont seem to have a problem with posts for the last couple of months declaring him as the most marketable player in the world with nothing to back it up, in fact from wat we see in western europe, it seemed to being said in spite of the evidence to the contrary.

Its do with a whole Nike range. Like Nadals lime green tennis gear, or Jordans full range etc. Its been based around CR7. I dont know what the big deal would be about changing the number maybe the range has already been made and having it called CR7 and him playing as num X wouldn't make much sense.

who says that would work? ronnie didnt listen to becks so nani and anderson may not listen to ronnie!

Eh thats my point I was talking to Skud who said

• Advertisement

Mr Alan, you're being silly. Gay point here, but the idea that he does't appeal to women is stupid considering he was just voted the most attractive footballer at Euro2008.

Also, the reason Madrid want to buy him, as they said themselves, is because his marketing potential is huge and thus they can justify the huge transfer fee

Eh thats my point I was talking to Skud who said

my Apologies, just misread the posts!! :o

so go on lets start a sweeps....when will ronnie delcare his future one way or the other?!

PHB wrote: »
    Mr Alan, you're being silly. Gay point here, but the idea that he does't appeal to women is stupid considering he was just voted the most attractive footballer at Euro2008.

Also, the reason Madrid want to buy him, as they said themselves, is because his marketing potential is huge and thus they can justify the huge transfer fee

I dont think thats the reason the want to buy him. The reason they want to buy him is because he currently regarded by many as the best player in the world. The reason they can justify his transfer fee is because of the marketing potential off him.

I dont think thats the reason the want to buy him. The reason they want to buy him is because he currently regarded by many as the best player in the world. The reason they can justify his transfer fee is because of the marketing potential off him.

if i came down from mars last night i would not think he was the best player in the world!! :pac:

my Apologies, just misread the posts!! :o

so go on lets start a sweeps....when will ronnie delcare his future one way or the other?!

My hope guess is he will be dragged in front of the media on Monday morning flanked by Fergie or Gill and a reprenstive from Nike to announce he is staying at Utd and then launch his CR7 gear with the biggest amount of press coverage ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

Utd will sell if he doesnt want to stay. Its clear he doesnt want to stay. Utd should hold out for as much as possible though.

if i came down from mars last night i would not think he was the best player in the world!! :pac:

Thats why I said by many, not by all, or by grames_bond.

Kildarered wrote: »
    Utd will sell if he doesnt want to stay. Its clear he doesnt want to stay. Utd should hold out for as much as possible though.

If it was so clear there wouldn't be an argument about it every time he Ronaldo opens his mouth. It is your opinion that he wants to leave, its many others that he is playing the media, and that he wants a better deal.

Thats why I said by many, not by all, or by grames_bond.

you did get the joke i made didnt you?!

• Advertisement

you did get the joke i made didnt you?!

I didn't at the time, prob replying too quickly. I do now though, commenting on last nights game only. In fairness to me it wasn't very funny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement