Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I didn't at the time, prob replying too quickly. I do now though, commenting on last nights game only. In fairness to me it wasn't very funny.

apres match thaught it was!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    is the CR7 thing not to do with his boots? cant he wear watever boots he wants at Real?

and Neil, i use "i reckon","i'd guess" etc because as you said, i dont know....all i can do is give my opinion on the matter, stange that you take exception to that but you dont seem to have a problem with posts for the last couple of months declaring him as the most marketable player in the world with nothing to back it up, in fact from wat we see in western europe, it seemed to being said in spite of the evidence to the contrary.

Actually I had no involvement in those arguments other than pointing out that those using Tiger Woods as an argument as to how Ronaldo isnt marketable were having a laugh as Woods plays a different INDIVIDUAL sport.

I just quoted u on it as its the most recent post on it AND the discussion is going towards his value, which has to include both present and potential marketability.

I dont know how marketable he is either, all Im saying is theres no reason why he, at 23 years old, with the talents he has, and with the probability of the individual awards coming his way, good looks, an array of tricks that kids look upto etc, shouldnt become the most marketed footballer on earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I dont know how marketable he is either, all Im saying is theres no reason why he, at 23 years old, with the talents he has, and with the probability of the individual awards coming his way, good looks, an array of tricks that kids look upto etc, shouldnt become the most marketed footballer on earth.

can the same not be said about Kaka, Messi, Torres, Fabregas etc etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1317253.ece
    The Sun wrote:
    MANCHESTER United have seen legends come and go but never have they let a player leave they want to keep.

So why does Cristiano Ronaldo believe he can dictate his future now?

After a shocking performance from the supposed world’s best player last night he said his future at Old Trafford was over.

What a sickening message to Sir Alex Ferguson who turned a one-trick pony into the player he is today.

Perhaps he has underestimated the power of the man who is adamant he will not sell to United’s greatest challengers in European football.

Better Fergie gets him back to Carrington and tells him straight Old Trafford is the best place for him — as it is.

United do not need to sell and do not want to sell.

If the petulance of this youth means they have to then more fool him.

United will go on without Ronaldo. What he risks is his place in the folklore of the world’s greatest club.

He has been at the club five years and had two good seasons.

Compare that to the Holy Trinity of Best, Law and Charlton and more recently such as Keane, Scholes, Beckham and Giggs.

Their names will live for ever but if Ronaldo forces this move his will be forgotten tomorrow.

For too long the Portuguese international has tried to be bigger than the club. Witness the moment United won their third European Cup.

As the whole squad ran to embrace the real hero of the night, Edwin van der Sar, Ronaldo set off.

But realising it was not all about him he stopped and fell to the ground supposedly in tears.

They should have been tears of relief not joy having missed the penalty that would have cost United a season of toil but for John Terry’s slip.

Instead of focusing on a true professional like Van der Sar the cameras sadly went to a big-time Charlie.

We should still be talking about that incredible Double now.

Instead a player — who has lived on the back of United rather than enhanced the stature of the club — has taken the headlines away from the heroics of that night.

Almost immediately we were talking about Ronaldo’s future.

How United fans must have wished Roy Keane was still around to give this guy his opinion.

But that’s the point.

The coward never talks about leaving during the season when he is in Ferguson’s charge.

On Wednesday when he was pushed in his Press conference to address United fans about his position he talked about respecting a Portuguese request not to talk about his future.

What about the respect he should show to Alex Ferguson and United fans who even made up a song called ‘Viva Ronaldo’.

Go if you want. But no true United fan will lament the passing of a big-time Charlie who graced the stage for an instant where others will be remembered for ever.
    I know its from the sun but i thought it was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

if i came down from mars last night i would not think he was the best player in the world!! :pac:

Is there football in Mars? Deadly :p

Whatever the outcome, United will come out and say ronaldo's not going and blah blah blah but they will always say that as they cant be seen to be lying down and relinquishing him to madrid. That would bring his price down and give madrid something to bargain with.

Good luck to the lad if he goes and as a fan i will thank him for his efforts but i feel he is making a bad decision. The premier league is made for him. He will be kicked to pieces and dragged through the crazy merri-go-round slit your throat media frenzy that is Marca and Madrid. What happens when schuster is sacked next year? The uncertainy at that club makes it very hard to flourish. Despite winning the title by so many points Madrid arent a great team. that is proven in the champions league. The spanish league is going through a bad time at the moment and all the top four english club are currently better sides than Madrid.

Someone mentioned ronaldinho. If anyone can make him come back to his best it is Fergie and his fitness team. Sell Ronaldo, buy sneijder, ronaldinho, Lahm. Job done. Bring on next season!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

jobonar wrote: »
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1317253.ece

I know its from the sun but i thought it was good.

wow i normally dont agree with or even look at that so called "newspaper" but they hit the nail on the head there, seems to me the reporter is a passionate fan!

he makes a good point, id love to see what would happen if keano was still there to smack some sence into him!

Of course it can, but the way you implied it was that there was NO WAY Ronaldo could possibly be the most marketed player.

Im not Ronaldos biggest fan as a person but u cant deny that as a footballer he has all the same attributes that made Ronaldinho so marketable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well Kaka maybe...but being at Ac Milan restricts that from ever happening in my opinion. The scandal of italian football in recent times not to mention Galliani (The president of Ac Milan coming out and saying that their league is the fourth best behind England, Spain, Germany and Italy.)

Messi is a great player but he is not model material so not as marketable.

Torres is not the best looking kid either so no chance for him either I'm afraid.

Fabregas is a great player...but the most marketable players are usually the ones who have some trademark about them.

Ronaldo has all the ridiculous skills, Ronaldinho had the same plus he had that world famous smile which everyone noticed him for...Beckham had his free kick traits and model looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tauren wrote: »
    Depends on what point you are talking about.

Ronaldo has no buy out clause and his contract is protected. There is no way for him to FORCE United to sell him, they could put him in the reserves for the year if they wanted to. Just because a player wants to leave, doesn't mean he will do.

Of course not. But I think all of you guys are underestimating the implications of him wanting to go and making such intentions clear to the club and public. It won't be quite the same next year. And ultimately he will spend his peak years at a different club. Sure ye might get next season and 20 goals or so out of him because the club insists upon it. But once he wants to go it becomes a case of when rather than if.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Kaka; born again nutcase. companies don't really like born agains as their front men. limited strictly to nice markets.

Messi, small ugly little fellah. can no doubt market him to 10 year old school boys, but you'd struggle to get him to sell anything to Japanese adolescent school girls.

Torres and Fabregas; what has they won that would propel them onto the global stage? in time perhaps but they are missing that dumbass media label 'worlds best footballer' currently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

My guess is Keane would be told to keep his mouth shut.

Ronaldo needs to be pandered too, needs to feel special like the team is built around him and for him. Its his personality and his ego. Keane as a player wouldn't like it but I believe would have just repeated Fergie lines of The manger said he wont go, the club said he is not for sale, so I see no problem. He may have thrown in a if he leaves we will continue on, and Man Utd will be the same next year still competing for every trophy.

However Keane as a manger needs to learn how to deal with these kind of players as ronaldo isn't the only one.

Players coming out and moaning about what he is doing this summer is not going to help anything, that is why they have all tried to make him feel special. Neville and Rio have both been in the press saying Utd is the best club for him, that we are built for him to succeed and to fulfill his dream of becoming the best player in the world, and that we believe he will stay as there is no where better for him.

cheesedude wrote: »
    Torres is not the best looking kid either so no chance for him either I'm afraid.

I've reported that post, Torres is a ****ing ride.

As for the debunking of other players possibly taking the mantle; i could just as easily debunk Ronaldo, the point is that Ronaldo is not really a marketing sensation at the minute, so that wouldnt be a reason to justify the 100m.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Of course not. But I think all of you guys are underestimating the implications of him wanting to go and making such intentions clear to the club and public. It won't be quite the same next year. And ultimately he will spend his peak years at a different club. Sure ye might get next season and 20 goals or so out of him because the club insists upon it. But once he wants to go it becomes a case of when rather than if.

He may spend his peak years at another club but I wouldn't say it is definite. Too much can happen in football over even one year, injuries, a new star comes about, bad form, Real implode and dont get CL football all possibilities within in a year.

Again these intentions are clear to some, and not clear to others. That is an opinion you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Apartently Ronaldo is one of the more approachable footballers. He has an ego on the pitch, but he has scored nearly 50 competitive goals this season. Hardly a hanging offence to through a few shapes to be honest. United always had performers, Keane, Cantona, Smeichal, Beckham, even Best, scores 6 goals in a match and acts like he doesn't care. Old Trafford is called a Theatre after all.

2 things will happen.

1. He stays, people saying he can't because the way he has treated the fans is nonsense, one well orchastrated interview saying "how could I ever leave the best club, blah blah blah, etc." - Personally, whatever Ronaldo, get back in there and score 50.

2. He goes, record transfer, the whole saga with United is over. Move on, but with a wheel barrow of cash.

At his stage I'm more concerned about Chelsea nicking "The Hunter" off us.

Nani should be brought back early and put on an intensive course of knocking the "Portuguese" out of him. The lad can cross a ball with the best of them. Hopefully he can step up to the left next season.

Rooney needs to up the goals to 30+, think his best so far was 23.

Looking forward to seeing some new signings in the next month, so we can all start typing out our teams again. :D

great cross by Nani last night by the way for portugal goal

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I don't think Ronaldo will go. United stated again and again he is not for sale. Even if he put in a transfer request or threw the toys from the pram by going on strike Ferguson is the type of manager who would stick him in the reserves for a year. (first world player of the year from the Pontins league, anyone?).
    Real Madrid were his boyhood team and all kids dream of one day playing for their favourite team and if he came out and said that out straight I'd applaud him onto the plane but his carry on is totally mercenary. He's flirting with Madrid to get himself a better contract deal. It seems to me all he's interested in is $$$$$$$$ No respect for the fans or the club that made him.
    Madrid would be a big mistake for him. Calderon only wants to buy him to appease the fans and keep the presidency(As it turns out Madrid can't even afford the fee so he's backed himself into a corner big time). What happens when Schuster is sacked next year? (Which he will be) There is no continuity there. At Madrid he wouldn't have Rooney and Tevez working their arses off for him either. All of the premier league top 4 are better than Madrid at this time so it would be a step down.
    If he stays that's fine but He'll need to come up with a great explanation of his actions to win everyone back over or there'll be no more 'Viva Ronaldo' from me. He's gone down in my estimation. Greedy Cnut!

More impressive because there were 3 germans chasing him.

Big season for Nani.

Boggles wrote: »
    Apartently Ronaldo is one of the more approachable footballers. He has an ego on the pitch, but he has scored nearly 50 competitive goals this season. Hardly a hanging offence to through a few shapes to be honest. United always had performers, Keane, Cantona, Smeichal, Beckham, even Best, scores 6 goals in a match and acts like he doesn't care. Old Trafford is called a Theatre after all.

2 things will happen.

1. He stays, people saying he can't because the way he has treated the fans is nonsense, one well orchastrated interview saying "how could I ever leave the best club, blah blah blah, etc." - Personally, whatever Ronaldo, get back in there and score 50.

2. He goes, record transfer, the whole saga with United is over. Move on, but with a wheel barrow of cash.

At his stage I'm more concerned about Chelsea nicking "The Hunter" off us.

Nani should be brought back early and put on an intensive course of knocking the "Portuguese" out of him. The lad can cross a ball with the best of them. Hopefully he can step up to the left next season.

Rooney needs to up the goals to 30+, think his best so far was 23.

Looking forward to seeing some new signings in the next month, so we can all start typing out our teams again. :D

Good post.

I have doubts Rooney will ever hit the 30 mark for us but he should be in the 20's easily and hopefully with a full injury free season he will get there.

Really want some signings to start happening but I am happy that anything is being kept out of the press.

Really hoping for some improvement from Nani, did more last night in his 15 mins then I seen Simao do all tounament. From reports as well(I didn't see the game) he was the only bright spark in the 2-0 defeat in the last group game. with Giggs being drawn back even more than the end of last season I really hope he can step up and make the left flank his next year.

Him + evra on the left and ronaldo + attacking RB would make me very excited for next year.

A third striker of proven quality would make a team for next year hard to pick.

As for predicting teams next season. I'll leave that for August.

grahamo wrote: »
    I don't think Ronaldo will go. United stated again and again he is not for sale. Even if he put in a transfer request or threw the toys from the pram by going on strike Ferguson is the type of manager who would stick him in the reserves for a year. (first world player of the year from the Pontins league, anyone?).
    Real Madrid were his boyhood team and all kids dream of one day playing for their favourite team and if he came out and said that out straight I'd applaud him onto the plane but his carry on is totally mercenary. He's flirting with Madrid to get himself a better contract deal. It seems to me all he's interested in is $$$$$$$$ No respect for the fans or the club that made him.
    Madrid would be a big mistake for him. Calderon only wants to buy him to appease the fans and keep the presidency(As it turns out Madrid can't even afford the fee so he's backed himself into a corner big time). What happens when Schuster is sacked next year? (Which he will be) There is no continuity there. At Madrid he wouldn't have Rooney and Tevez working their arses off for him either. All of the premier league top 4 are better than Madrid at this time so it would be a step down.
    If he stays that's fine but He'll need to come up with a great explanation of his actions to win everyone back over or there'll be no more 'Viva Ronaldo' from me. He's gone down in my estimation. Greedy Cnut!

I'm going to respond to the greedy c*nt business. He is laregly been touted as the best player in the world. If you were being touted as the best person in your profession in the world wouldn't you want to be paid like it, wouldn't you seek out to be paid like it.

Is he even the best paid at Utd?

I think Rio is.

On a games ratio it must be Saha, plus the 12 million medical bill. :D

• Advertisement

I'm going to respond to the greedy c*nt business. He is laregly been touted as the best player in the world. If you were being touted as the best person in your profession in the world wouldn't you want to be paid like it, wouldn't you seek out to be paid like it.

see, again that is not any feasible way for football to work, every year wage structures would be destroyed based on a players form.

Example, ronaldo demands £150k a week, people on here think Rio was the main reason for Utds success this year, is he not also entitled to the same wage? Next year Ronaldo struggles with injuries, Messi is the best player on the plant, should he then get £160k cause he is the best player and deserves it? The following year Kaka regains his form and destroys both SiereA and the CL, £180k for him so? Then year after Anderson really has matured and dominates games with the determination or Keane and skill of Scholes, best player in the world, 200k for him so?

see where i'm going with this? within 10 years players would be earing half a million a week. Ronaldo is being greedy there is no two ways about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What happened to the 90 million sterling Madrid touted early in this saga ? It's now down to 67 million EURO !!? I think they will struggle with his wages too, what will the other players think about his levels of pay ? Maybe they too will start throwing toys from the pram and play like the spoilt kids they are.

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Wonder if all this ronaldo business is helping fergie buy some players under the radar?
    anyone expecting a suprise announcement next week...

I think Rio is.

I think after his new deal you are right. So is it wrong for someone who is being recognised as the best world to be looking for money when is isn't even the best paid at his club?

The way he is gone about it may be wrong, but I think calling him a greedy c*nt is very harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

see where i'm going with this? within 10 years players would be earing half a million a week. Ronaldo is being greedy there is no two ways about it.

So what if hes greedy, thats a personal attribute, nothing do with anybody on this website.
    I could not care less what ronaldo is or what he does as long as he produces magical football on the pitch, i think its real rich of people goin on and callin him a so and so and greedy, his public persona could be completely different to his private persona, but if it isnt, who gives.

see, again that is not any feasible way for football to work, every year wage structures would be destroyed based on a players form.

Example, ronaldo demands £150k a week, people on here think Rio was the main reason for Utds success this year, is he not also entitled to the same wage? Next year Ronaldo struggles with injuries, Messi is the best player on the plant, should he then get £160k cause he is the best player and deserves it? The following year Kaka regains his form and destroys both SiereA and the CL, £180k for him so? Then year after Anderson really has matured and dominates games with the determination or Keane and skill of Scholes, best player in the world, 200k for him so?

Wages have been rising every year for I dont know how long. Its been the natural way of football for years. Ronaldo getting the blame for this now?

Ronaldo is being greedy there is no two ways about it.

That's hardly a secret, he is a footballer, the vast majority of them are. But you have to realise it's not just the footballer, it's the team of agents, lawyers, family behind them. Gifted footballers go to "Special School" when they are young, the vast majority of the fúckérs have the reading level of my 5 year old niece.

Ever heard some of the American Footballers been interviewed? Rainmen (without the card counting) the lot of them and they have "degrees".

Also a footballers career is quite short and sometimes cut even shorter, this also adds to the gimme gimme now attitude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

That's hardly a secret, he is a footballer, the vast majority of them are. But you have to realise it's not just the footballer, it's the team of agents, lawyers, family behind them. Gifted footballers go to "Special School" when they are young, the vast majority of the fúckérs have the reading level of my 5 year old niece.

Ever heard some of the American Footballers been interviewed? Rainmen (without the card counting) the lot of them and they have "degrees".

Also a footballers career is quite short and sometimes cut even shorter, this also adds to the gimme gimme now attitude!
    Anyone see sky sports news a week or two ago? They were talking to ronaldo's sister about him going to madrid... She was wearing a Portuguese jersey with ronaldo 7 on the back while singing. No one seemed to give a ****... was in a night club somewhere. Think the brother was in on the act too... To me this seemed a bit of a joke. i mean they all trying to launch a career through ronaldo. If the family is like that... :) - on the subject of being greedy and money grabbing

Wages have been rising every year for I dont know how long. Its been the natural way of football for years. Ronaldo getting the blame for this now?

not blaming him at all.

but being the best player one season does not entitle you to be the best paid player in the world. if thats the route football goes down it'll be ****ed.

• Advertisement

not blaming him at all.

but being the best player one season does not entitle you to be the best paid player in the world. if thats the route football goes down it'll be ****ed.

Does being the best player two years at your club (as voted by fans and players) mean you should be the best paid or at least equal paid at your club?

Also I dont think he is looking for more cash from Utd, he is looking for a bigger % of image rights, which is takin from Utd alre but not directly realted to wages for him to make money off it Utd must to. I think he also wants greater control over it to. Where as Rio got more standard wages as he wouldn't make as much from the image rights.

no it doesnt.

Seniority and other factors come into it.

no it doesnt.

Rio is only at the club one year longer than ronaldo.
    Manutd.com wrote:
    United teenagers Danny Welbeck and Ben Amos have been named in a provisional England squad to travel to the U19 European Championships in July.

Striker Welbeck, 17, and goalkeeper Amos, 18, both enjoyed successful seasons with United’s Academy side, with Welbeck also turning out regularly for the Reserves.

Brian Eastick’s 23-man England squad will be whittled down to 18 for the tournament, which takes place in the Czech Republic between 14 July and 26 July.

Good to see Wellbeck in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

He done well when he came on, some nice moments, some wasteful moments. But he was more of a threat than most of the Portugese players last night.

Regarding the Ronaldo situation, I can understand him wanting a better deal. However this does not give him the right to bring this type of thing up before a Champions League Final and before a major international tournament. On both occasions, when his respective teams were preparing for big moments, he insisted the spot light was on him by toying with the press.

For that I have lost a lot of respect for him. For looking for more money, Im used to players doing this, Roy Keane all honour and dignity even done it. Its just the way of football these days.

I really just want it sorted, if he is staying, fine. If he is going, lets get the deal done, get the money and use it as wisely as we have done in recent seasons.

Rio is only at the club one year longer than ronaldo

yes but he was signed for 30million and is nearly 30 years of age.

yes but he was signed for 30million and is nearly 30 years of age.

and decided to skip a drug test leaving him unable to play for the majority of a season.

We obviously have a difference here that wont be agreed upon. You dont think Ronaldo deserves more money, I think he should at least be on par with the top earner at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Tis all a smokescreen. Inter are going to swoop in at the last minute and Jose will do one over on United yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

no it doesnt.

Rubbish. Seniority means nothing! Plenty of players at clubs for years earning less than players coming in the door.

Give him his money, whatever he wants, he deserves it. If theres no chance of him staying then I hope the deal is done before the night is out.

And your worried that the best player in the world could be the highest earner. Is that not a good incentive for every player. Your the best so you deserve to be paid the best?? It's been happening with ages now anyways and nothing is f***ed.

P.S. Your attitude towards Ronaldo is ridiculous. Everyone and anyone on here can see it and I guarentee you would never talk about Torres in the same way. Give it up. You hate Ronaldo and your views on him as a result are way too one sided!

deisedevil wrote: »
    P.S. Your attitude towards Ronaldo is ridiculous. Everyone and anyone on here can see it and I guarentee you would never talk about Torres in the same way. Give it up. You hate Ronaldo and your views on him as a result are way too one sided!

Yes i do hate Ronaldo, point being? I also hate Ferdinand, probably more. but Ferdinand deserves to be paid more than Ronaldo. If they pay Ronaldo 150k or watever a week now, where does it go from there, in 5 years is he on half a million a week? He got a new contract and payrise last summer.

One thing I can promise you and most, incl Utd fans will agree with this, Torres wouldnt ever act the way Ronaldo is during this episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Yes i do hate Ronaldo, point being? I also hate Ferdinand, probably more. but Ferdinand deserves to be paid more than Ronaldo. If they pay Ronaldo 150k or watever a week now, where does it go from there, in 5 years is he on half a million a week? He got a new contract and payrise last summer.

One thing I can promise you and most, incl Utd fans will agree with this, Torres wouldnt ever act the way Ronaldo is during this episode.

I don't think he would either.

My point is your hatred towards him clouds your view.
    Pay him what he wants. every year wages rise and player fees rise. There's nothing wrong with giving the best player in the world the best wages. In 5 years there could be many players on 500k.
    You should be arguing that players in general are getting too much etc. Don't take it out on Ronaldo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

You know what I agree. The same could be said for 95% of the premiership though as most lads are pretty decent and have a bit of respect for their employers so I'm not sure why you are picking Torres out of 400 odd players ;)

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »
    Pay him what he wants.

My view is clouded?!

My judgement on Ronaldo is not clouded at all, I hate Neville and Ferdinand more than Ronaldo, both of them deserve to be on massive money at Utd, more money than Ronaldo, if in 2/3 years Ronaldo Ronaldo is still the best player in the world, then he gets his new deal and possibly becomes top earner.

Ronaldo got a new deal last year with improved wages due to his phenomenal form, is he going to want a new deal every summer? its ridiculous.
    Sizzler wrote: »
    You know what I agree. The same could be said for 95% of the premiership though as most lads are pretty decent and have a bit of respect for their employers so I'm not sure why you are picking Torres out of 400 odd players ;)

He was the player picked out by the Utd fan who posted before me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I think its pretty clear that Ronaldo will be leaving. For the sake of the squad and the manager and for my own sanity i hope it happens soon. The problem is that these things never happen quickly. I would also like to point out that i dont expect the full fee received fom Ronaldo's transfer to be invested in the team.

I dont think moving on from Ronaldo will be a big issue for the team as long as we move in the right direction in terms of transfer targets. Nani looked very good when he came on and although he is a different type of player to Ronaldo i would expect him to have a good season next year. I like the look of Arshavin and also the Russian right back. The both seem quick and very talented.

It is alreadu clear to me from watching the Euros who will have a big impact on the premiership next year. That will be Luka Modric.

PS welcome back PHB

PPS If Liverpool sign Gareth Barry, i am going to put money on Liverpool conceding the least amount of goals in the premiership next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I definitely don't agree with the attitude "Pay him what he wants". at the end of the day the fans will be paying for it through higher ticket prices and more expensive merchandise.
    The only way he will get a pay rise is to sign a contract extension which will make his "Dream move" even more distant. Ronaldo is p***ing me off! He tries this on every year. Why did he sign a 5 year contract if he wanted to move 1 year into it? After the last world cup he was telling the press "Its either Madrid or Barca" (Barca? This from a supposed Real Madrid fan?), Result: He gets a contract extension and pay rise.
    More speculation last year, Result: New 5 year contract! And now he's off again.
    Even his agent must be getting embarrassed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

grahamo wrote: »
    I definitely don't agree with the attitude "Pay him what he wants"

I disagree, his profile is that he realises he is the the best player in the world, whether anyone agrees with that or not(he scored 42 goals in Footballs biggest money league which works in his favour). if he sees Ronaldinho being linked to a 200k a week to Man City then he is entitled to at least parity of that if not more, He wants to be the highest paid player in the world.

Ronaldo and his Advisors are more shrewd businessman then fanatical Madrid fans. Give him a massive pay increase and outbid Madrid* wagewise, he deserves it by the Premer Leagues warped view of the world.

*this is a prestige issue also, Madrid and Utd duke it out at the top the D&T rankings and also cultivate massive international merchandise & Fan bases, whoever is bigger will pay the biggest wages to the worlds 'biggest' player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sell him on, then see if we can put the number 7 jersey on Ashley Young (though i highly doubt Villa would sell)

Bring in a tall striker with the ability to head the ball and reap the rewards from actually being able to score from crossed free kicks/corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I hate Neville and Ferdinand more than Ronaldo, both of them deserve to be on massive money at Utd, more money than Ronaldo,

Ronaldo got a new deal last year with improved wages due to his phenomenal form, is he going to want a new deal every summer?
    I can't agree with this. Any player who wins the League more singlehandedly than I can ever recall in 30 years of watching deserves to be rewarded the best according to the current system of individual contracts. A better system might be everyone in the team getting paid the same amount, might promote better team spirit?

In relation to improving every season, well then he deserves to be compensated more every season, in the current climate. In an ideal world signing a contract should mean you don't look for any more money until the contract ends, but as other clubs will just offer more, then the clubs who own the player have to be prepared to match this, again I qualify this by saying in the current (maybe not the best climate) of how these things work. Think about it - if you do a good job in your own work and a headhunter offers you a job with more money, you're going to go to your boss and say 'so and so offered me more money, I don't want to go, but it's hard to turn the money down...what do you think?' and you're going to hope he offers you more money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So much will people expect to receive for him.
    Stupid figures like 100 million are claimed but i dont think it will be much over 40 million.

Killme00 wrote: »
    I would also like to point out that i dont expect the full fee received fom Ronaldo's transfer to be invested in the team.

Your right, no chance it will be translated straight to transfer funds. It will help thou, we still have to shell out 20 odd million for Tevez.
    Killme00 wrote: »
    I dont think moving on from Ronaldo will be a big issue for the team as long as we move in the right direction in terms of transfer targets.

United will have no problem moving on from Ronaldo, the biggest issue is replacing the goals, that means Prolific striker time, there is no winger out there IMO who would reach 15 prem goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I can't agree with this. Any player who wins the League more singlehandedly than I can ever recall in 30 years of watching deserves to be rewarded the best according to the current system of individual contracts.

Without getting into the money side of things Ronaldo did not win the league on his own. If Ronaldo didnt get all those goasl, then someone else would have.

Alot of people seem to think that Ronaldo owes us something. He doesnt. Whenever a player leaves Utd, i always watch their progress wherever they go. I am delighted that Forlan started banging them in in Spain, same for Ruud and even Beckham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jank wrote: »
    So much will people expect to receive for him.
    Stupid figures like 100 million are claimed but i dont think it will be much over 40 million.
    I reckon it will either be 70million cash, or about 50million and a player. (Probably, unfortunately, Robinho - i'd prefer Sneijder or Ramos)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement