Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Id be very happy if we managed to get a couple of good signings tied up before the media circus dies down, better to work under cover of dark and get everything sorted quickly whoever we have targeted.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

kryogen wrote: »
    Id be very happy if we managed to get a couple of good signings tied up before the media circus dies down, better to work under cover of dark and get everything sorted quickly whoever we have targeted.....

ha lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Better to get them sorted before, if it happens, we sell Ronaldo, cause every player will become 5m dearer then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He's being very poorly advised imo, even Big Phil told him to go.

Ronaldo wants 'dream' Real move
    BBC Sport wrote:
    Cristiano Ronaldo says he hopes to "complete his dream" of moving to Real Madrid, despite Manchester United insisting he is "not for sale".

The European champions said on Friday: "We are not listening to offers."

But the Portugal winger, 23, has signalled his intention to "take advantage of a great opportunity".

"Everybody knows what I want but things don't only depend on me," he said. "I am not the person who decides but I hope to complete my dream."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Good post Hobart.

To be honest, while I was defending him to the death about 10 pages ago, I give up. Even if he does stay at this stage, I won't have an iota of respect for him for turning himself into the world's biggest media whore.

It's obvious he wants out, so let him go. If it's not this season, it will be next. The thing is, will his stock ever be as high as it is now? An unhappy player will hardly score another 42 goals, a year of his contract will be wound down, so we would surely be looking at the same speculation next year but not as good a deal. It'll be the exact same as Vieira to Madrid/Henry to Barcelona. Papers this morning are saying cash + Wesley Sneijder, an option well worth looking at IMO.

It's been said to death already but Cristiano Ronaldo is not Manchester United.

ha lol.

thats another fine contribution to this thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I reckon it will either be 70million cash, or about 50million and a player. (Probably, unfortunately, Robinho - i'd prefer Sneijder or Ramos)

70 is way too high. He wants to move that is the issue. Of course United dont want to sell but its not much help in todays world. All the power is with the players

To be honest, while I was defending him to the death about 10 pages ago, I give up. Even if he does stay at this stage, I won't have an iota of respect for him for turning himself into the world's biggest media whore.

Fickle?!

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=99455

this would be a bit of a shock eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Keane was irreplacable. We got by.

If Ronaldo leaves, we'll have to adjust our game. We'll have to imo buy one very very good winger and maybe a second good winger. We'll also have to fix our striker problem.
    That said, even if Ronaldo does leave, after our additions, I still think we'll be favorites to win the league and CL next year

• Advertisement

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=99455

this would be a bit of a shock eh?
    We talked and I asked him to call me again after May 5, because by that point I had planned to meet with people from America to agree terms for the early signing of a new contract for Chava.

Seems like it'd be next year before anything!

People should remember that Fergie when he was talking about transfer targets before the final pretty much said all he's looking to do was bring in a striker with some experience.

Manucho may well provide that option that we were looking for. Either way, I'd say our transfer dealings will be finito within a week or two of the Euros ending.

Oh btw, United are a one man team, no doubt about that, but that one man team is Rooney. Without him we are utterly ****e. He makes our entire team tick. If we lost Rooney this summer I'd say we'd be more likely to win nothing than if we lost Ronaldo. Not saying he's better, but hes more important to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

kmart6 wrote: »
    Fickle?!

Not really. It was after the PFA awards and his first interview that I was annoyed and defending him. The interviewer wouldn't leave the Madrid questions be despite Ronaldo repeatedly saying he was happy at United and wanted to start next season there. We've come quite a long way since then.

So,why defend him if your just going to turn around and say you have no respect for him only a few weeks later!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Ronaldo is being very naive. Real Madrid are openly trying to get him to burn bridges between himself and Manchester United. Even Fat Phil seems to be advising him to go (It obviously suits him now that he's Chelsea manager,lets face it he doesn't want to have to come up against a team with Ronaldo in it!)
    Madrid are turning his head with offers of massive money and if they succeed in turning United and their fans against Ronaldo they can effectively sign him for less of a fee (that'll suit them nicely) . Once Ronaldo has Madrid as his only choice Madrid will rape him by offering him less money (that'll also suit them nicely).
    Madrid should show a bit of class and just ring up Fergie and make a f***ing offer.
    otherwise United should either stick Ronaldo in the reserves for a year or kick Madrid in the b****x by selling him to Barca!
    I'm not bothered whether Ronaldo goes or stays at this stage, Whats more important for me is United stand their ground against those Madrid cnuts!
    If they do sell to Madrid I hope they take them for every penny the slimy cnuts have got!

PHB wrote: »
    People should remember that Fergie when he was talking about transfer targets before the final pretty much said all he's looking to do was bring in a striker with some experience.

Manucho may well provide that option that we were looking for. Either way, I'd say our transfer dealings will be finito within a week or two of the Euros ending.

Oh btw, United are a one man team, no doubt about that, but that one man team is Rooney. Without him we are utterly ****e. He makes our entire team tick. If we lost Rooney this summer I'd say we'd be more likely to win nothing than if we lost Ronaldo. Not saying he's better, but hes more important to the team.

I agree with that. They don't lose very often with Rooney in the team. The boy covers the whole pitch, Rooney and Tevez give Ronaldo the time and space to do what he does, You only had to watch Portugal's games to see that he needs those type of players around him

only1stevo wrote: »
    Ye and i also think we sold beckham cheaply, considering his marketing value.

madrid got a seriously good deal there. They made the transfer fee back in jersey sales before Beckham played a game for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

PHB, your a legend, you could not be more right about rooney.
    He is this united team at the end of the day, hes a bloody beast!

Ronaldo leaving(dont think he will but if he does) will definitely benefit rooney in the long run i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

utd dont need Ronaldo

he's goals this season were unreal

but if utd get a proper striker

benzema or berba

they should get 20 above goals a season

and probly give way more assists

• Advertisement

PHB, your a legend, you could not be more right about rooney.
    He is this united team at the end of the day, hes a bloody beast!

Ronaldo leaving(dont think he will but if he does) will definitely benefit rooney in the long run i think.

ya Ronney wont have go on the wing any more

no tracking back

happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

£60m plus Sneijder is the latest rumoured offer in the pipeline. If Real were to offer us that deal(highly unlikely) I'd bite their hands off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

£60m plus Sneijder is the latest rumoured offer in the pipeline. If Real were to offer us that deal(highly unlikely) I'd bite their hands off.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Cristiano Ronaldo - The story so far on UTV now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

One thing on the Ronaldo issue, Does everyone here believe that Fergie has had no contact with Ronaldo over the last few weeks , Come on , I think Fergie may have his mobile No. somewhere . No one can say what has been discussed in private between the two .

Here one call (maybe )

ring ring ring

Fergie : Well boy , How's things... I need a favour .

Ronaldo : Sure boss anything , you know you only have to ask.

Fergie : Thanks son , well know all the s**t with YOU and REAL........

Ronaldo :( interrupts ) but boss you know I'm going nowhere as long as you are in charge....

Fergie : I KNOW, I KNOW, but here's the favour I need , I want you to string these Muppet's in the media and Real along for the next month. You will not have to do much , just do not give straight answers and maybe tell a joke or two . These Muppet's will hang themselves.

Ronaldo : Boss can I ask why ?

Fergie : Sure son , When they are killing each other to follow you and get the next big break. I can get my summer business done under the radar. and son trust me you will be very happy with your new team mates next season.

Ronaldo : Boss will you let my little bros (Nani and Anderson ) the story , You know what they're like.

Fergie : No prob, Have a nice hols see you in a few weeks ... OH the better half want's to know if you are coming to the grandson's birthday party............................................................

Far fetched maybe , but not as far fetched as some of the stories doing the rounds. IMO :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'm just delighted I put the same amount of effort as that post above into my ham, white cheddar, peppers, onion, mayo and bbq toasted sambos

It was savage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I would love that. Too good to be true, to be honest. I don't Sneijder would leave Real.

Have been thinking along those lines as well...if only it could be true!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

grahamo wrote: »
    Madrid are turning his head with offers of massive money and if they succeed in turning United and their fans against Ronaldo they can effectively sign him for less of a fee (that'll suit them nicely) . Once Ronaldo has Madrid as his only choice Madrid will rape him by offering him less money (that'll also suit them nicely).

Well played Madrid!

Sneijder has been quoted as saying he wont entertain any ideas of leaving Madrid, nice to see those sort of public declarations isnt it :p

is it not today we should be hearing what Ronnie has to say to media??

ps, nobody has shown any intrest in my prop bet, :(

very dissapointed in you lot who are so sure hes going that none of you are willing to back it up! ;)

I'd say it'd be 60 mill + Ramos considering Ramos said he was interested.

• Advertisement

Ramos would certainly solve our right back issues, but i dont see Madrid wanting to part with him either tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Ramos would certainly solve our right back issues, but i dont see Madrid wanting to part with him either tbh.

F**k them then. If they want Ronaldo that badly they should be prepared to offer one of their top players Ramos, Sneijder etc....

F**k them then

Couldnt agree more!

There's also the strong possibility that this whole situation will be resolved by Fergie saying, you stay at United for one more year then you can leave for a world record price, deal?

its what ive been thinking actually, and it would also keep him chomping at the bit to keep his amazing form going because he needs it to keep his valuation up

im beginning to think we wont be having any announcement today, the internet is actually quiet on the issue for a change

was having a think there, a cheaper option of a less high profile striker would be Diego Milito maybe? hes very good in the air and doesnt have a bad record, over the last 3 years its been about 1 goal every 2 games......

he isnt a very big profile player, so he would be happier then the likes of Berba and co to spend a little time on the bench, he would also be available at a decent price since Zaragoza were relegated last season! he and garcia are probably on their way

established, experienced. i wouldnt say he would be my first choice, but maybe an option

its what ive been thinking actually, and it would also keep him chomping at the bit to keep his amazing form going because he needs it to keep his valuation up

im beginning to think we wont be having any announcement today, the internet is actually quiet on the issue for a change

I'd be surprised if there was an announcement before Monday. Like it or not, he probably will have to speak to United before making an announcement, even if that announcement is "I'm actually a big City fan and I'd love to move to Madrid". I would imagine David Gill or Fergie has been at least attempting to talk to him.

I don't rreally think Berbatov will have an issue with the amount of games he plays. Realistically, he's likely to start pretty much every big game, or at least play in every game game.
    Against any decent physical team, or every single European away match, he will play.

The announcement will come from Fergie I think. Still, I think they've postured too much to suggest that they are willing to give in.

i cant think of any way United can sell Ronaldo this summer and save any dignity, none! they have said they are willing to let him sit in the stands then sell, and there were rumours that if Ronnie was sold against Fergies wishes the SAF would walk

after SAF comments about not letting Real roughshod or whatever over them its pretty impossible to see him go this summer. Fergie would lose face, he doesnt like to do that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

some news from spain
    Real coy on Ronaldo comments
    Calderon holds out Ronaldo hope

Calderon: Hoping for Ronaldo
    Real Madrid supremo Ramon Calderon has refused to be drawn on Cristiano Ronaldo's comments that he wanted to join the club.

Real have never hidden their desire to land Ronaldo - despite Manchester United's insistence he was not for sale.

Madrid were even reported to Fifa by the English champions, although this was rejected by football's governing body.

The Spaniards were seemingly waiting for Ronaldo to openly declare his desire to move to the Bernabeu - something he did on Friday following Portugal's exit from Euro 2008.

But Calderon says the issue needs to be resolved by United and Ronaldo.

"As we have already said many times, it is a problem between Manchester United and the player," Calderon told AS.

"If the two resolve this situation and Manchester United want to call us then we will be happy and delighted with them because Cristiano is a great player.

"We can't say anything more, we only talk about our own footballers and Cristiano is Manchester United's."

Advantage

However, Calderon did add that Real may now be in a position to 'take advantage' of the situation.

"If the kid keeps himself in that strong position, the step he has taken could be key," added Calderon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    There's also the strong possibility that this whole situation will be resolved by Fergie saying, you stay at United for one more year then you can leave for a world record price, deal?

Maybe thats wat they agreed last year?

how good is arshaven for Russia

could he fit in at utd

maybe he's to similar to Ronney

next big thing in world football in my opinan

class player

such great technique and great fitness

he'll be moving this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

The problem is we already have 2 quality second strikers, although he might fit into a AM role aswell. Hes quality no doubt but he plays in a position in which we already have enough talent.

we should just buy him so the others cant get him...

For the third time in consecutive games for russia i reiterate my desire for the right back Anyukov and Pavluychenko, brilliant players.

how good is arshaven for Russia

could he fit in at utd

maybe he's to similar to Ronney

next big thing in world football in my opinan

class player

such great technique and great fitness

he'll be moving this summer

He's 27 already, so he won't be a big thing for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Pavster gets into good positions but he's not clinical enough. Not top four standard in my view.

Arshavin would be a great buy for any team. Imagine him in the Premiership. F*ck Ronaldo. :pac:

The Pavster gets into good positions but he's not clinical enough. Not top four standard in my view.

Arshavin would be a great buy for any team. Imagine him in the Premiership. F*ck Ronaldo. :pac:

Between Pavster, Roon and the Tevmeister we should be ok for goals...
    Oh and Ronaldo...

I think he can become a better finisher, if Alex can drill it into him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Between Pavster, Roon and the Tevmeister we should be ok for goals...

Oh my :eek:

Tom65 wrote: »
    He's 27 already, so he won't be a big thing for long.

wow 27

u sure

he looks alot younger than that

baby face kind of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Oh my :eek:

I hate to agree with Mr Alan but we really do NOT need another bloody striker who can't put away the easy chances. We have enough extremely talented players who can't finish already!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement