Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Now Real are coming out and signing it's Uniteds move next, they'll not do anything until United say he's for sale.

Classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

zAbbo wrote: »
    Now Real are coming out and signing it's Uniteds move next, they'll not do anything until United say he's for sale.

Classy.

Of course they won't. I mean, it's not like they've been stirring the pot daily for the last few weeks with quotes from the president, manager and their propaganda rag.

And I would never for ONE SECOND think that their representatives have met Ronaldo and his agent and are working in tandem to engineer this move.

Oh no...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

IMO it's cause they've no money. They want Ronaldo's position to be untenable, so that we sell him for a reduced price (i.e. around 50 million)
    That's why they want Ronaldo to say something so that he just can't stay at United.

The thing is funny for me, cause Calderon is ****ed. He has to deliver Ronaldo this summer. The general feeling in Madrid outside of Calderon and Marca is that buying Ronaldo for huge money is a poor decision, especially with other areas of the squad that need work, not least defence.

If United play hardball for the rest of the summer, Calderon is going to get increasingly desperate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Boggles wrote: »
    Brown is better than Ramos!!

There I said it! :eek:

Hmm, are you basing this on wes browns performances in the PL opposed to ramos appearances in the Euros?

hardly fair, you cant compare international to club and brown hasnt exactly covered himself in glory for England under capello.

so how are you comparing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Agree that Caderon has walked himself into it. At this point if he doesn't deliver Ronaldo him and Schuster will be getting their P45's and it'll serve them right.... I love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

event wrote: »
    Hmm, are you basing this on wes browns performances in the PL opposed to ramos appearances in the Euros?

No

Ramos can't defend.

Ramos can defend. He's fantastic for Madrid, by far their best defender in the best defence in the league. He's ****e for Spain, but then again, you should never judge somebody by their international performances, Diouf has thought us all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

meh he ain't as good as Cannavaro...

No

Ramos can't defend.

wow, great insight

he is brilliant going forward with madrid, and can defend pretty well.
    he was part of the best defence in spain last year and was also their most attacking defender.

PHB wrote: »
    Ramos can defend. He's fantastic for Madrid, by far their best defender in the best defence in the league. He's ****e for Spain, but then again, you should never judge somebody by their international performances, Diouf has thought us all that.

His Shíté for Madrid too. Defensively.

• Advertisement

wow, great insight

he is brilliant going forward with madrid, and can defend pretty well.
    he was part of the best defence in spain last year and was also their most attacking defender.

Yeah the guy is very good going forward, can't defend thou. We had a discussion about him some months back, so no it's not the Euros that I'm forming my opinion, but it is cementing it.

Yeah the guy is very good going forward, can't defend thou. We had a discussion about him some months back, so no it's not the Euros that I'm forming my opinion, but it is cementing it.

oh right, so yiz decided on it was it icon_lol.gif

i didnt realize

we'll have to agree to disagree though, but i think by being in the best defense in the title winning team shows he can defend, it'd be like me saying the evra cant defend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I agree with Dunphy, Giles, Souness and Boggles when they say Ramos is ordinary. Granted he's only 23 and has played at CB then at FB then back to CB until Cannavaro arrives he's a FB again. He's decent going forward but ordinary at the back.

As is Puyol and Captavilla. Marchena probably the best of out that back four. I wouldn't be pleased if he joined United and took a big chunk out of the Ronaldo transfer fee (thats if he goes, which he will :D )

Ramos - not for me.

oh right, so yiz decided on it was it icon_lol.gif

i didnt realize

we'll have to agree to disagree though, but i think by being in the best defense in the title winning team shows he can defend, it'd be like me saying the evra cant defend

Not really, he plays for a team that don't overly rely on defense, in 2 season they have concedeed close to 100 goals in leagues and cups.

Although Spain are an attacking side, they are not as gung hoe as Madrid. His lack of defensive skills have been shown up quite badly in the Euro's.

What else can I say, I thought he was a poor defender before the Euro's, he hasn't really done much to change my mind in the Euros.

So agree to disagree we'll have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Got to remember though guys.

Evra didn't look that good defensively when he arrived either. But he threw himself in the gym for the summer and worked hard at his game to improve himself enough for premership level.

I dont think the question regarding Ramos should be about ability he is obviously a talented footballer the question should be about attitude. Would he be willing to put in the effort required to improve the deficiencies’ in his game?

EDIT: I think Event confused Brown and Ramos.

EDIT: Another question is would his fee be worth the risk of him not improving?

EDIT: I think Event confused Brown and Ramos.

what do you mean?

I think Ramos would only be coming as part of a swap deal.

If Madrid do offer ****loads of money, what would people like to buy?

For me the dream would be

50 million + Casillas + Ramos
    Then buy Berbatov and Ashley Young with the money.

Though Casillas is just utterly unrealistic, so demand somebody else, perhaps Gago or Sneijder. The important thing would be having Calderon ask Casillas to leave in order to get Ronaldo :)

This sounded more like Brown than Ramos. Everyone knows Madrids defense isn't strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Deffo a slow day for the papers, not a whole lot of new ****e about Ronnie, so im reading about the rift between Rio and Rooney! Rio didnt go to the wedding and Rooneys very upset according to a "source"

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Rio didnt go to the wedding and Rooneys very upset according to a "source"

Ah sure, I'm sure Rio will go to his next one!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

HAHAHA :D:D

good to have ya back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ramos = shít

kryogen wrote: »
    Deffo a slow day for the papers, not a whole lot of new ****e about Ronnie, so im reading about the rift between Rio and Rooney! Rio didnt go to the wedding and Rooneys very upset according to a "source"

A lot of papers were linking this to Rio trying to get the England captaincy by keeping a low profile in the media apart from his charity work. Makes sense as you never know what kind of stories you can get yourself linked to at such a celebrity event.

Besides he has just finished a long season, then played all the England friendlys which included travel to T&T, then his week long trip to Africa. I wouldn't be surprised if he just wanted a family holiday without the extra stress of a celebrity wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think Ramos would only be coming as part of a swap deal.

If Madrid do offer ****loads of money, what would people like to buy?

For me the dream would be

Though Casillas is just utterly unrealistic, so demand somebody else, perhaps Gago or Sneijder. The important thing would be having Calderon ask Casillas to leave in order to get Ronaldo :)
    Sell Ronaldo, bring in Young, Richards and Ashton (none realistic at this point but meh) Would up the number of english player in the team, which i think would improve the passion and drive of the team, and they'd be less likely to bugger off to madrid in a few seasons.

..............Foster
    Richards..Rio..Vidic...Evra
    Young...Hargreaves..Anderson..Nani
    ............Rooney..Tevez

Ashton, Carrick, Park, Fletcher, Brown, Neville, van der Saar.

Tauren wrote: »
    Ashton

:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

:eek::eek::eek:

Big fan of his - i reckon he could really improve around better players, and wouldn't be demanding a starting spot over Rooney and Tevez all the time. Big strong lad with great link up play, would be a great 'second option'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

QFT

This sounded more like Brown than Ramos. Everyone knows Madrids defense isn't strong.

+1 being one of the best defenders in a ****e defence isnt anything to write home about, now i do like Ramos by the way, but lads, saying Madrids defense was the best in the league is a bit misleading isnt it? it may have been the best, but it still shipped plenty of goals! as Boggles said, almost 100 in two seasons, when saying the united defense was the best in the league this season it kinda means more!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

No wonder the press haven't been printing so much about Ronaldo today.
    http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BF9E570E6%2D407E%2D44BC%2D800F%2D4A3110258114%7D&newsid=6612192

I too think Ashton is ****ing quality.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    Big fan of his - i reckon he could really improve around better players, and wouldn't be demanding a starting spot over Rooney and Tevez all the time. Big strong lad with great link up play, would be a great 'second option'.

Sweet Jesus no, I'd prefer Crouch.

I like Deano (Ashton) big fan of his atually, but i think he looks a little injury prone, i wouldnt mind taking on punt on him if the price was right, but him being English i doubt it will!

cant find the untranslated transcript of the Ronnie interview with GB, i will though, just gonna take me a bit more time!

the main point of it was it was all paraphrased on the website. GB has put the slant on it himself, it was a sit on the fence interview as usual. nothing major said so GB had to embellish a little to make it sound more interesting.

i.e., he asks if you were to return to manchester next season arent you worried the supporters will be angry at you? and Ronnie says, yes, people are upset, but a couple of good goals and they would forget about it!

and he is also asked, if you were to move to madrid would it be for personal reasons or sporting reasons? and he says

personal, i have said before its a dream to play for Madrid one day, its something i want in the future

im sorry i cant provide links yet, i really am trying to find one to the direct source. most links lead back to the bloody website and thats already translated by him and paraphrased

Ashton is slightly worse than Saha, but very good. Like Saha however, he is just so injuried its unreal.

I'm slightly surprised nobody has moved for Young this summer. He by far was the best player outside the top 4 last year.

RE: Young, i think another year at Villa would do him well, im sure people have enquired about his services PHB, but another year of playing week in week out at a decent level team should stand to him, he is still quite young is he?

he should have some regular european football too next year to help his development.

If Young was sold O'Neill would blow a fuse.

theres another reason to hope he is sold so.

Realistically when Young is sold it'll be for 20-25 million. I don't think MON would be deeply annoyed if he got that price for him.

well there are more goals scored in la liga than the PL, so perhaps its not that madrids defence is worse, but that the attacks are better

anyway, all im saying is that i think he is a solid player and i reckon he would go straight into uniteds first team.

he will prove himself in the years to come

well there are more goals scored in la liga than the PL,

They are pretty on par actually.

Last season La Liga - 1021 Prem -1002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

grahamo wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    That statement was realised on Friday, didn't affect stories over the weekend, wouldn't be affecting any today!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Yep he's a muppet, a meme, an arsebiscuit. I was surprised by the result of the thread I started keep or sell Ronaldo. So many wanted him to stay. Tbh at stage I'll be v disappointed if he doesnt go.

Thanks for everything n anything, but even Manchester United isn't big enough for his head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Trilla wrote: »
    Yep he's a muppet, a meme, an arsebiscuit. I was surprised by the result of the thread I started keep or sell Ronaldo. So many wanted him to stay. Tbh at stage I'll be v disappointed if he doesnt go.

Thanks for everything n anything, but even Manchester United isn't big enough for his head
    Hear Hear Trilla.

Jesus lads, do you believe everthing you read?

The fúckíng idiot that wrote that, is well flagged at Old Trafford by Ferguson himself as a fabricating búllshít artist.

"It was such an unpleasant scene the journalists decided not to write about it"

We won't write about that so lads, what about we make up a story about him using his mobile in training. - Brilliant!!!

:rolleyes: X 1000

ive no idea, i just posted it

i dont mind ronaldo at all, and dont believe half of the ****e that it written about him, like i dont with any player really. whatever he is like off the pitch is no ones business, id imagine half the people on boards.ie are arseholes in real life, but so what?

but i dont know if a journo would lie about something like that, connected to munich, ye know?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Some Man Utd fans just cant accept Ronaldo wanting to leave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RsQg1dnwiY

We won't write about that so lads, what about we make up a story about him using his mobile in training. - Brilliant!!

In fairness that was The S*n, they are hardly your standard newspaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Trilla wrote: »

He is looking for as much money as possible, just like every single one of us would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

LOL at MUTV. I love football but this is taking it too seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Not really pushed either way if he stays or goes, i understand the need for him to fulfill his dream of playing for madrid, kinda dissapointed with the lack of respect,loyalty he has shown to the club,saf and the fans.

At the end of the day, there is only one person needed at this club to keep us on top of the world and that persons loyalty is unwaivering and aslong as Saf is around i won't be bothered whether Ronaldo stays or goes.

There will be more like him more then willing to fight for one of the most prestigious shirts numbers in world football.

The guy might think he is the best and while he has been tremendous for us last season , i would take a messi or a kaka anyday over him.

I hope he stays but i won't be heartbroken or shocked if he goes.

GGMU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement