Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Cuellar is actually a quality player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Boggles wrote: »
    Well he scored a fair few goals against, Bolton, Newcastle, Wigan, etc. Do they not count either?

i would wager that they would be of slightly better quality then Armenia, also i didnt say they dont count, im just saying its less impressive under more scrutiny.

like i said, i dont want to take away from him too much, im a fan of his. i just dont look at everything through the eyes of love! im not blind

its a major factor as to why i would choose Ronaldo ahead of the likes of Kaka every year for a league! he will destroy the weaker teams easily and that guarantees your there or thereabouts at the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

grahamo wrote: »
    On reflection its got to be BS. Carlos Cuellar? Someone is having a laugh!
    it is BS, definitely, but apparently Cuellar was a player we were looking at before he signed for Rangers, and i'm conviced a read a piece regarding fergie giving him some praise last season.

On reflection its got to be BS. Carlos Cuellar? Someone is having a laugh!

hang on now i thought when you posted it you were having a laugh!! did you not just make that up on the spot? i got a great laugh out of it anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Tauren wrote: »
    it is BS, definitely, but apparently Cuellar was a player we were looking at before he signed for Rangers, and i'm conviced a read a piece regarding fergie giving him some praise last season.

Yes, but I'm thinking Cuellar is a centre half. United certainly don't need a centre half at the minute

yea but Ferdinand aint getting any younger.

we need centre half cover in fairness, i really dont like the idea of JOSH at centre half

Yes, but I'm thinking Cuellar is a centre half. United certainly don't need a centre half at the minute
    Nope - not with Pique being sold and silvestre looking lilely to follow him out...

IMO, we do need some backup for the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Nope - not with Pique being sold and silvestre looking lilely to follow him out...

IMO, we do need some backup for the defence.

yep, sunderland want evans too. That leaves 2 centre backs really if everyone leaves.. we need a backup. Even if we get a right back, brown can cover centre, but still short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

We need cover all over the defense IMO. If Evans and Silvestre go then we need cover for CB,and LB. Depending on Nevilles fitness next year we could still need cover for RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I think Silvestre may be staying another while. 1 more year and he gets a testimonial
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3730984,00.html

Maybe we should take a look at Lescott - can play all across the backline.

We also have the brazilian twins available, though who knows if they'll be any good. Cathcart is a decent CB too imo.

I was actually impressed with Silvestre in the games he played at the backend of last season, put in some very good performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I was actually impressed with Silvestre in the games he played at the backend of last season, put in some very good performances.
    Me too, I thought he was amazing. Would love if he stayed.

Did he play CB for 1 or 2 games, or is it my imagination? I seem to remember him doing so, and being immense.

Silvestre is solid! always has been, he is just too prone to make stupid mistakes.

he would have been top class if he could have eradicated them the way Rio has

he is fantastic back up though

• Advertisement

I think Silvestre may be staying another while. 1 more year and he gets a testimonial
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3730984,00.html
    kryogen wrote: »
    Silvestre is solid! always has been, he is just too prone to make stupid mistakes.

That doesn't make a lick of sense!:D

He can be solid, and when he has his head screwed on he can be fantastic (remember the combo himself and Rio had before Rio missed the drugs test)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I always thought Silvestre was an accident waiting to happen. For me he is for backup purposes only, a better version of John O'Shea. He did score an important goal against Leeds though a few years back :)

That doesn't make a lick of sense!:D

He can be solid, and when he has his head screwed on he can be fantastic (remember the combo himself and Rio had before Rio missed the drugs test)

:D

it made perfect sense in my head! ok ill clarify, for 88 minutes in a game Silvestre can be fantastic, then he makes a stupid mistake! so he is solid 99% of the time!

i dunno, my hangover may be impeding my wording of things

the partnership before Rio got banned was looking really really good, was such a shame then cause with Rio beside him Silvestre seemed to really go backwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I hope Silvestre stays aswell, excellant back up, great crosser of a ball too, remember that cross he stuck in for Rooney a couple of seasons ago to score against Arsenal. Id like Evans to get his chance as a squad player this season too.

We need cover all over the defense IMO. If Evans and Silvestre go then we need cover for CB,and LB. Depending on Nevilles fitness next year we could still need cover for RB.

TBH I dont see Evans making it at United, and I agree, we need more defensive cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

TBH I dont see Evans making it at United, and I agree, we need more defensive cover.
    Well I feel he deserves the chance Pique had last year, afew Champions League games, come on for afew league games, basically being in the squad and then judge the situation again this time next year.

kryogen wrote: »

it made perfect sense in my head! ok ill clarify, for 88 minutes in a game Silvestre can be fantastic, then he makes a stupid mistake! so he is solid 99% of the time!

i dunno, my hangover may be impeding my wording of things

the partnership before Rio got banned was looking really really good, was such a shame then cause with Rio beside him Silvestre seemed to really go backwards!

Dont forget that in the past he's also formed a solid unit with Brown in the centre.

Well I feel he deserves the chance Pique had last year, afew Champions League games, come on for afew league games, basically being in the squad and then judge the situation again this time next year.

Possib-lay but I personally would be more comfortable with another backup defender being bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

he's good and meant to have been impressive for sunderland. But he wasn't/isn't better than pique could have been for us. I still think he could be a great squad player if we hold onto him and one day actually manage to maintain a starting place. If he is prepared to wait - since sunderland want him I doubt he will. We prob be better off selling him now and getting more money, than if we let him rot in the reserves for a year or two, decreasing his value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Maybe we should take a look at Lescott - can play all across the backline.

We also have the brazilian twins available, though who knows if they'll be any good. Cathcart is a decent CB too imo.
    Don't think Lescott would fit in IMO!

its hard to get genuine talent to wait on the bench

Of course he would fit in - ever watch STNG? Worf never had problems fitting in anywhere. Just give Joleen a hat and he'd be fine.

Lescott is a brilliant player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Silvestre is an accident waiting to happen at CB, but the accident rarely happens, and he's quite a good LB imo. I think he's a good squad player to have, Neville making a comeback should keep us solid at defence, although it could do with strengthening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Arbeloa, speaking in Austria where is he preparing for Spain's Euro 2008 semi-final with Russia, believes the departure of Ronaldo from Old Trafford would provide a boost for arch-rivals Liverpool.

"If Ronaldo plays in Real Madrid it will be good news because he is one of the best players in the world and is our enemy at the moment," Arbeloa told Sky Sports News.

"If he can play for Real Madrid for me it is perfect.

"For us it would be a good news because for Manchester United he is very important and if Ronaldo is not in Manchester for Liverpool it is good."

Have to laugh at this really...as if the sale of Ronaldo would help Liverpool jump 3 positions on the previous few seasons and make 20 odd points difference.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    although it could do with strengthening.

Damn right, remember Milan? It NEARLY happened again this season, we need cover.

Trilla wrote: »
    Have to laugh at this really...as if the sale of Ronaldo would help Liverpool jump 3 positions on the previous few seasons and make 20 odd points difference.

you dont think Ronaldo made 11 points difference?

I do.

Mr Alan wrote: »

I do.

I don't think he made a difference to your position in relation to either Chelsea or Arsenal though.:p

Anyway, if he did go, he'd be replaced, and while that person themselves may not be worth 11 points, they probably wouldn't be worth none, and then players like Rooney, Tevez, Anderson and Nani might step up a bit more.

I do.

That said, everyone would have said Ruud was worth 11 points too......

Tauren; failing to see where Arbeloa said we'd win the league if he left? he just said that it'd be good news for Liverpool.

It would. Nothing funny about that.

I do.
    Right On Queue

What about Chelsea and Arsenal? One player from one team wont make Liverpools season. Cant be that "good" for them. He's just stirrin it, bit of a nobody anyway :D. It was 20 odd the season before.

More reason for ya postcount ++ MrAlan, you should be happy!

Thrilla; see above response to Tauren.

and if it was 20 the season before, 11 this year, and now you may lose your best player....should you not be starting to get worried? :)

Tauren; failing to see where Arbeloa said we'd win the league if he left? he just said that it'd be good news for Liverpool.

It would. Nothing funny about that.

Alan.... i don't care, i never said he did!

I was responding directly to your quote, which was responding directly to another comment made by a poster.

Trilla said Ronnie leaving wouldn't jump liverpool 11 points and 3 places. You said Ronaldo was worth 11 points. I was merely pointing out the 11 point difference to United is only 1 issue, and that we might find those points elsewhere in the side.

Trilla said Ronnie leaving wouldn't jump liverpool 11 points and 3 places. You said Ronaldo was worth 11 points. I was merely pointing out the 11 point difference to United is only 1 issue, and that we might find those points elsewhere in the side.

yeah, that and its Trilla without the "h"!

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    yeah, that and its Trilla without the "h"!
    you always thrill me....

anywho....

i love you both x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I knew it!

:eek:

its just another step in coming to terms with the fact that Alan is and always has been and always will be, a Man U fan!

he will display his love for certain Man U fans and then in a few more months declare his love for the team

you heard it hear first!

^^^
    spot on.

ok....let me give this thread a little kickstart to get it back on topic.....

ronaldo wants to leave. you're ****ed next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

^^^
    spot on.

ok....let me give this thread a little kickstart to get it back on topic.....

ronaldo wants to leave. you're ****ed next year.

Talking of Ronaldo leaving, has anyone seen the spoof youtube video doing the rounds at the moment, have got it from loads of people, where hitler finds out he is leaving. I won't post the link as some of script is very border line.

i posted it the other day :) its good alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

yes its on the previous page.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

i posted it the other day :) its good alright :)

similar ones for Chelsea failing to win cl and one for when he finds out Wenger is not signing anyone :) Wenger one sails very close to the wind imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

Ronny has to go,end of!
    £60 million and wesley for me to be happy!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement