Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

kmart6 wrote: »
    Can't agree with that....he'll never replace Keane1!

He replaced his place in the team. i.e as the constant starter (apart from injury and strugglin to get his form back at the start of last season) beside Scholes in season one and beside Anderson/Hargreaves/Scholes last season. Yes he did.

2 league wins, and a CL was the success part.

Did he replace Keane like for like no, did he replace him in the team yes. Have we had success since then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

kryogen wrote: »
    I have never been in much doubt he will start the season at united, getting tired of arguing about it alright though! :D

Don't think I was debating whether he will go or stay! Was just making the point if he really wants to go, we should sell him and make as much money from him as possible.

Personally, if he was committed, Id rather he stayed. If he's not, I really hope he doesn't start the season with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yep! nobody could replace Keane, Fergie changed the system and got in players for the new system. keane was irreplaceable , much like Cantona
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    i dont think ferguson is gonna buy a Benzema,Eto'o or even Berbatov, i think his striker will be a "name" but not a massive one, someone similar to Saha who will be more than happy to be rotated a lot and used as a plan B.

Totally agree here ^^^^ and i think its the wisest move, just a guy who can put the ball in the back of the net consistently but doesnt bring an ego the size of Abramovich's bank account with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

eh, sorry mate, but link fail!

that particular link says united were after him years ago but lost intrest....a couple of years ago.....so its not the same as both clubs trying to buy him at the same time and him choosing one over the other!

he doesnt say we were in for him at the same time as liverpool, he actually says we lost interest!

besides that it was also just sky trying to hype up the game more! its the usual stories that run..... from my understanding of the interview, united had asked athletico a couple of times about him, they didnt want to sell, then one time madrid said they would, and torres said he felt he was too young. end of story, end of our interest!

liverpool came in a year later!

Make of it what you will, in the Interview (yes, the quotes are from an older interview by Inside United magazine, according to this link posted months before the united liverpool match http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/31072007/4/fergie-wanted-torres.html) Fergie says himself that he felt Rafa being Spanish gave him an edge in dealings with Torres. Surely that implies that he feels Torres chose Liverpool where he would not have chosen United. I mean the interest ended because United obviously felt they would be no more successful last season than they were in seasons past?

I'd say there's more than a strong possibility that if Rafa came in for Nando the season before he did, he may not have considered himself "too young"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well, he did so move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The Fernando Torres transfer was interesting. He's a player we have enquired about a couple of times over the years but when it came to the crunch he would sign a new contract or other things would happen and a deal never materialised.

its alright Alex, just admit he rejected you :cool:;)

D.S. wrote: »
    Don't think I was debating whether he will go or stay! Was just making the point if he really wants to go, we should sell him and make as much money from him as possible.

Personally, if he was committed, Id rather he stayed. If he's not, I really hope he doesn't start the season with us.

I wasnt having a pop at you there, i have just been arguing since the end of the season with people over wether he will stay or go!

look, im sure he wont be too unhappy to play for united next season

his ego wouldnt allow him to under perform to be honest, he wants to be recognised as the greatest, he will try his best whoever he plays with for that reason, he cant feel inferior to someone so how could he not play to his best?

if he goes he goes, ill be more surprised then i was when milan capitulated in 05, but nothing is impossible

i really dont see how having to play for man united is some sort of torture for a player though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The funny thing is its not as if Fergie is courting Sneijder is it, STFU Wesley and stop believing the media hype :rolleyes:

Karl Heinz brings a bit of sense to the proceedings :)

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3734463,00.html

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Make of it what you will, in the Interview (yes, the quotes are from an older interview by Inside United magazine, according to this link posted months before the united liverpool match http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/31072007/4/fergie-wanted-torres.html) Fergie says himself that he felt Rafa being Spanish gave him an edge in dealings with Torres. Surely that implies that he feels Torres chose Liverpool where he would not have chosen United. I mean the interest ended because United obviously felt they would be no more successful last season than they were in seasons past?

I'd say there's more than a strong possibility that if Rafa came in for Nando the season before he did, he may not have considered himself "too young"!

very possible, and im not saying that if it came down to a choice he would have chosen united, im just saying we never made a bid!

as Fergie said, we made enquirys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I have never been in much doubt he will start the season at united, getting tired of arguing about it alright though! :D
    Oh dont worry I know you have. ;)

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »
    The funny thing is its not as if Fergie is courting Sneijder is it, STFU Wesley and stop believing the media hype :rolleyes:

Karl Heinz brings a bit of sense to the proceedings :)

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3734463,00.html

its always nice to get support alright, even if it wont really make much difference!

madrid dont care how anyone sees them

very possible, and im not saying that if it came down to a choice he would have chosen united, im just saying we never made a bid!

as Fergie said, we made enquirys

To be fair, if united were allowed talk to Torres one season and he decided himself he was too young (as Fergie says), you'd have to think that a fee had already been agreed between the clubs?

not necessaily though, sometimes an enquiry is made (alot of the time actually) if the club are open to the possibility they ask the player if he would be open to a transfer, if he says yes then the clubs negotiate a fee, if he says he isnt interested for whatever reason then there isnt much point in the clubs negotiating a fee is there!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11800_3735330,00.html

this is a pretty big step down isnt it!

i mean wasnt this the guy that the Lyon president once said when we were reportedly interested, if they offered Ronaldo plus cash we would consider a transfer! lol

my own thoughts are that he and Benzema dont get along apparently and refuse to pass to each other even, so to keep Benzema happy he is being shipped out, surely a better club would have been interested in him though?

not necessaily though, sometimes an enquiry is made (alot of the time actually) if the club are open to the possibility they ask the player if he would be open to a transfer, if he says yes then the clubs negotiate a fee, if he says he isnt interested for whatever reason then there isnt much point in the clubs negotiating a fee is there!

Point taken, though I think at this stage we're splitting hairs. I'm of the opinion that Torres chose Liverpool over United, most likely because of the Rafa connection, regardless of bids being on the table at the same time. Not a knock on United, merely suggesting the possibility that a player may choose an English club other than United for reasons other than "I like the shiny lights and fancy shops in London"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Exactly plus Sneijder is better deployed as a centre midfielder not as direct replacement for Ronnie. The more this drags on the more I think Ronaldo will be here for the start of the season and I for one will be glad of this.

+ 1!

I can't see anyone who can replace him.

We got two this year, i think Fergie would be stupid to let him go. Knowing that Abramovich is on our heels for Chelsea to win any cup next year should be incentive to keep Ronaldo.

Ah, all this soccer is doing my head in, i might relocate to the kitchen for a sambo:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

my own thoughts are that he and Benzema dont get along apparently and refuse to pass to each other even, so to keep Benzema happy he is being shipped out, surely a better club would have been interested in him though?

which adds fuel to the firey statement that benzema is NOT for sale!

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Point taken, though I think at this stage we're splitting hairs. I'm of the opinion that Torres chose Liverpool over United, most likely because of the Rafa connection, regardless of bids being on the table at the same time. Not a knock on United, merely suggesting the possibility that a player may choose an English club other than United for reasons other than "I like the shiny lights and fancy shops in London"!

Could be, it could also be he knew he had no competition at Liverpool, remember he is used to being the big Fishey, he was made captain of Madrid when was a teenager.

I think it was a combination of this plus Rafa.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I feel that Ronaldo will be made stay and probably sold next year. When Bayern Munich said they were hanging on to Owen Hargreaves for another year, that's exactly what they did and Hargreaves was professional about it and I hope Ronaldo will be professional about things too as he has shown that up to this point.

I heard last week that Bolton were going to make a bid for Louis Saha and it seems that they were going to pay a big enough amount for him as the article I read was saying that it would have been near the same amount they'd paid for Le Sulk.

Lets not forget that Manucho is going to be in the squad this season and he's looked good for me. He may not have scored all that many whilst out on loan but he didn't have the quality players around him that he will have at Old Trafford. His goals for Angola looked class. He seems to have a good header and funnily enough, the only person (apart from Ronaldo) I have seen scoring a few with his head has to been one of our smallest players or the smallest being Tevez.

We also have a few up and coming youngsters there who I would like to see getting some action this season. Hopefully this time we can stay in the Carling long enough to utilize these players so we can have a better idea what they are like.

What I would like to see is some replacement in our defence. Neville is getting on now, Evra needing some cover although Silvestre can do that but he was on the verge of leaving but Bordeaux couldn't pay him enough so that fell through. And also Pique has left us so defence is an area I'd like to see strengthened.

I feel that Ronaldo will be made stay and probably sold next year. When Bayern Munich said they were hanging on to Owen Hargreaves for another year, that's exactly what they did and Hargreaves was professional about it and I hope Ronaldo will be professional about things too as he has shown that up to this point.

I heard last week that Bolton were going to make a bid for Louis Saha and it seems that they were going to pay a big enough amount for him as the article I read was saying that it would have been near the same amount they'd paid for Le Sulk.

Lets not forget that Manucho is going to be in the squad this season and he's looked good for me. He may not have scored all that many whilst out on loan but he didn't have the quality players around him that he will have at Old Trafford. His goals for Angola looked class. He seems to have a good header and funnily enough, the only person (apart from Ronaldo) I have seen scoring a few with his head has to been one of our smallest players or the smallest being Tevez.

We also have a few up and coming youngsters there who I would like to see getting some action this season. Hopefully this time we can stay in the Carling long enough to utilize these players so we can have a better idea what they are like.

What I would like to see is some replacement in our defence. Neville is getting on now, Evra needing some cover although Silvestre can do that but he was on the verge of leaving but Bordeaux couldn't pay him enough so that fell through. And also Pique has left us so defence is an area I'd like to see strengthened.

I agree that the defence needs cover. IMO depending on garys fitness and wether Silvestre stays or not. We could need cover right across the back four, and I still want competition in the Rb back position. Though I dont think huge money needs to be spent here. We have Evans who I want to take over Piques squad, we JOS we can slot in anywhere in an emergency, if silvestre goes someone for ledt back, and regardless I want someone for right back.

I want Saha out unless the medical team are very very confident of him staying fit for a year. Which I dont believe they can be at this stage.

Manucho looks like he could be a good addidtion. But it is a big risk going into another season with Rooney and Tevez as our only proven two forwards and a risky third (manucho), and injury prone fourth(saha). Something needs to happen here.

Regarding the young players I want to see two things.
    1) Obviously a longer run in the carling cup.
    2) With the seven subs rule I want to see the extra two spots on the bench being filled by youth players. Hopefully enabling them to get game time in some comfortable home games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My understanding of the Ronnie situation leads me to believe if we had offered him a new deal in the run up to the CL final we wouldn't be in this 'mess'. He does want to play for Real, but i don't think he had originally planned on it being this summer.

Regarding Manucho - he could turn out to be a fantastic signing, providing an extra option and getting the odd goal here or there, but i would be annoyed if we didn't bring in another striker; i don't want to go into this season possibly without Ronaldo, relying on Tevez and Rooney to start hitting the net more and Manucho to be a success. We need to bring in someone with a bit of experience.

For defence, Micah Richards would be perfect (new RB and can cover at CB - a better version of Brown imo), but i don't see it happening

Why do we have to sell Saha? I dunno, Bolton-hmm not my first choice.

a striker will be bought, that i can guarantee

just watched a replay of the champions league final

jesus what a night!

MIN2511 wrote: »

tell me your joking?!

he is seriously in need of a change, the medical team must be sick of looking at him! it is the right thing for the club and the right thing for the player i feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

But think of the knock-on effect it will have on morale, when 100+ people are suddenly made redundant! :eek:

Why do we have to sell Saha?.

Because himself and Bobby Robson together bankrupt BUPA! :D

Dave! wrote: »
    But think of the knock-on effect it will have on morale, when 100+ people are suddenly made redundant! :eek:

it may be because im already in a good mood having watched the champs league final again, but i still admit, i lol'd there!

why do we have to sell Saha.

Because he is made of glass.

I dont care where he goes, and I dont care how much we get for him.

Why do we have to sell Saha?

Because he's keeping our medical staff to busy and they need also break! He's making Darren Anderton worry that he's going to lose his sicknote tag! No seriously, Louis Saha is good once he gets going but we just can't rely on him. We were lucky not to have many other injured players this season so we got away with it. It just can't go on. I appreciate what he's done but he's just always injured. Sure how many times did he recoever form injury and come back injured because he went off to play for France (and at least one of those times, it was only a friendly!).

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Because himself and Bobby Robson together bankrupt BUPA! :D

Excellent!

Because he's keeping our medical staff to busy and they need also break! He's making Darren Anderton worry that he's going to lose his sicknote tag! No seriously, Louis Saha is good once he gets going but we just can't rely on him. We were lucky not to have many other injured players this season so we got away with it. It just can't go on. I appreciate what he's done but he's just always injured. Sure how many times did he recoever form injury and come back injured because he went off to play for France (and at least one of those times, it was only a friendly!).

Right so we should write him off because he is injury prone? Ah jeez guys, when he plays he plays well...
    If he wants to go then fair play to him but saying that because he's injury prone is not the way to go tbh

big Saha fan here, he's also very very HOT!!!

Right so we should write him off because he is injury prone? Ah jeez guys, when he plays he plays well...
    If he wants to go then fair play to him but saying that because he's injury prone is not the way to go tbh

Yes we should write him off because he is injury prone why should we keep him when he can't play. The guy gets injuried warming up for gods sake. He didn't play well once last season.

You just lost a lot of credibility with the last part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why did you say that?

I think he's lost... This is where you should be!

aw jesus, already said earlier, that he is a she! SHE get it!

and obviously doesnt fully understand what she is talking about

why keep a player on the books and pay him and cover his medical bills, when he is just gonna break down everytime he has to put pressure on his knee!

he didnt play well at all last year even when fit, he didnt look interested or hungry whatsoever so it is definatly time to move on

he has been given many chances and the club has stood by him for more then a year now. with pretty much nothing in return!

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    Why did you say that?

Because it's true!

Right back on topic, i still don't think we should sell him.

For instance look at Michael Owen who is injury prone and has changed teams too many too often(Liverpool to Madrid to Newcastle) but since returning he has scored goals.

But then whats the story with Roque Santa Cruz? He would be a good exchange

Because it's true!

Right back on topic, i still don't think we should sell him.

For instance look at Michael Owen who is injury prone and has changed teams too many too often(Liverpool to Madrid to Newcastle) but since returning he has scored goals.

But then whats the story with Roque Santa Cruz? He would be a good exchange

Ince said he isn't for sale, and to think we could exchange Saha for one of the leading scorers in the league last year is a stretch.

As for Owen look at the club he ended up with. Pretty much a rehab centre for past it players. Also a club not looking to win the championship and CL.

Ince said he isn't for sale, and to think we could exchange Saha for one of the leading scorers in the league last year is a stretch.

As for Owen look at the club he ended up with. Pretty much a rehab centre for past it players. Also a club not looking to win the championship and CL.

+1 a team with ambitions to win leagues and cups cannot afford to carry dead weight

we got away with it with Giggs and him last year, we cant hope to get away with it again this season! what if Rooney or Tevez were to pick up long term injury?

he is dead weight

Owen is not a great example, but even if he is, he can easily be countered by Harry Kewell, was it worth liverpools time and money keeping him around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Five bids in for Arshavin - agent

Andrei Arshavin’s agent has revealed the Euro 2008 star has had more than five offers for his signature, amid reports that Manchester United have entered the race.

Arshavin has been outstanding for Russia in their thrilling run to the semi-finals, scoring against Sweden and Holland in two man-of-the-match performances.

Barcelona are the playmaker’s ‘dream’ club, but Arsenal’s interest is well-known, while United are also said to be preparing a bid.

Arshavin’s agent would not go into specifics, but he believes the eventual winners for his client’s signature will have to pay €20 million (£16 million).

“Given the team’s (Russia’s) performance, I think the transfer value has grown for Arshavin, Yuri Zhirkov and Igor Akinfeev - three players who may leave to play abroad,” said Alexei Safonov to Business FM.

“Zenit have received more than five proposals from England and France, but Arshavin wants to go to Spain – football that is suited for him.

“His transfer price is about €20 million. Zhirkov’s is close to that amount. Zhirkov could play in England and in Germany and Italy. "

Big news... setanta getting exclusives!

Saha is a dead man walking tbh. Just cannot be relied in a top 4 side neither physically or mentally imo.

• Advertisement

Skud wrote: »
    Big news... setanta getting exclusives!

hehehe

Andrei Arshavin’s £16m... Is he worth it?

And i reckon Abramovich would offer him £20m and he would take it!

hehehe

Andrei Arshavin’s £16m... Is he worth it?

And i reckon Abramovich would offer him £20m and he would take it!

he's just turned 27 - berb is the same age as him and will command a much higher fee. The reason its so high is cause of the way he playing in the euros. It's clear though that we after a wide-style player... Made a bid for Alexis Sanchez in april "apparently" - http://www.mepongodepie.com/2008/04/26/el-united-va-por-alexis-sanchez/

Dunno where he'll go, if barca or a spanish team come in for him he may go there. I still think he would be cracking for the premier league.

the only player i really want from that Russian team is Akinfeev the goalkeeper.

but even having said that i would rather give Foster his chance first......

Argh Sweinsteiger just scored again, another few million put on his valuation!

the only player i really want from that Russian team is Akinfeev the goalkeeper.

but even having said that i would rather give Foster his chance first......

Argh Sweinsteiger just scored again, another few million put on his valuation!

lol was just gonna say :p

value++;

Dave! wrote: »
    lol was just gonna say :p

value++;

TBH besides a striker i'd want him as our number one signing. Think we could make him better than he is now.

yeah its a shame, was hoping we would be able to pick him up on the cheap this year....whether Ronnie was staying or going he would be great addition to the squad, could do the business on the right while ronnie goes left! then you have Nani and Park as back up...

Skud wrote: »
    TBH besides a striker i'd want him as our number one signing. Think we could make him better than he is now.

yeah he has been very impressive the last 3 years or so, if he was playing in any of the Spanish, Italian or English leagues hed be hyped to hell already!

big, strong, pace, good shot on him and he must be able to take a good peno if needs be (hes german) :)

Didnt realise he was only 23 aswell always thought he was older seems to have been around for ages. Great finish for his goal tonight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement