Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

kryogen wrote: »
    yeah he has been very impressive the last 3 years or so, if he was playing in any of the Spanish, Italian or English leagues hed be hyped to hell already!

big, strong, pace, good shot on him and he must be able to take a good peno if needs be (hes german) :)

he was hyped alot after the last world cup if i remember correctly. A lot of people think he's getting stale at bayern and a move would do his career wonders. Here's hoping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Skud wrote: »
    he was hyped alot after the last world cup if i remember correctly. A lot of people think he's getting stale at bayern and a move would do his career wonders. Here's hoping :)
    Swap for Saha? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Skud wrote: »

he was in the papers a while ago saying a move to England interested him, thats what made me think of going after him this year. didnt think Bayern would sell him but he only has 1 or 2 years left on his contract and wouldnt be overly expensive

so, the turks are out, a good technical team gone from the tournament, they won alot of peoples hearts i would imagine with the heart they have shown and spirit throughout the tournament, they are not going home in disgrace

Arda has impressed from that Turkey team for me. a technically very good player. wouldnt mind making a move for him, hes young and could only get better at the club

i dunno, i think im clutching at signings or desperate for some transfer talk or something! so quiet on the striker front!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

i dunno, i think im clutching at signings or desperate for some transfer talk or something! so quiet on the striker front!

I hear ya. Is it me or does there seem to be a lack of top quality strikers to choose from this season? There seems to be very little top quality youth coming through in general?

i dont particularly care whether the striker we sign is 20 or 30 as long as he is clinical in front of goal!

we need a natural finisher, we dont necessarily have to find a guy this summer that we will have for 10 years, we can still look for a long term striker but its highly important that we do get in a real finisher this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

michael owen was 24 (around rooneys age now) when wayne first burst on to the scene. Think the young talent kinda comes in cycles usually. One is due in next 2ish years!

I agree with kryogen. We got rooney, tevez and manucho - all under 25, wellbeck and (atm) campbell so we not doing too bad in terms of long term players. Just need to get a finisher. Huntelaar is a better "striker" than berbatov obv but im not saying he's our number one target. Throw in Santa Cruz and Luis Fabianno and you have most of the press targets for us. The youngest there is huntelaar and he's 24. So I dont think it's a matter of age - just need someone who scores goals.

I think transfer fever will start properly next week. Rumor has it, berbs future sorted in next two weeks...

I am not sure berbatov is the man for us to be honest. But he def is worth thinking about..

Santa Cruz (if we was available) would be a perfect signing for us..

yeah the papers will kick into overdrive when the euros end

Rooney is still only 22 btw :eek: till october anyway! seems like hes been around 10 years already!

I assume we are signing Berba to be honest, the papers have been so quiet about it this year and spurs seem to be looking for strikers so i think it will be him. its not my first choice but meh....as long as he puts them away i wont care

• Advertisement

D.S. wrote: »
    I am not sure berbatov is the man for us to be honest. But he def is worth thinking about..

Santa Cruz (if we was available) would be a perfect signing for us..

how can you be so sure of Santa Cruz though? he was averaging 5 goals a year in a team where luca Toni scores 30! didnt seem to play well in the big pond!

he has been amazing this season, but then again his teammate Benni Mcarthy was pretty great during his first season too!

not saying he deffo isnt good enough, just saying i wouldnt have him in my top 5 of targets even!

ince said he doesnt want to sell him anyway

how can you be so sure of Santa Cruz though? he was averaging 5 goals a year in a team where luca Toni scores 30!

he has been amazing this season, but then again his teammate Benni Mcarthy was pretty great during his first season too!

not saying he deffo isnt good enough, just saying i wouldnt have him in my top 5 of targets even!

See your point. I see Cruz as a player on the up who is beginning to fulfil his potential. In fairness, Bayern are a poor attacking threat who rely alot on the set pieces, rather than goals from attacking free flowing football, which is why Toni is such a success there.

you might be right there, and as i said, i wouldnt rule him out altogether, i just dont often get won over by one good season thats all!

i can actually see us starting to use the dread 4231 formation more often soon

VDS
    Brown
    Rio
    Vida
    Evra

Hargo
    Carrick

Ronaldo
    Tevez
    Rooney

???????

thats one team i can see becoming regular next year in europe and possibly domesticly with obvious rotations like Rooney swapping with Tevez and Nani or park operating wide left or right, Anderson/Scholes in the middle instead of Hargo and Carrick

its just a theory i have been thinking about. the players being bought seem to be very solid for that type of formation, with excellent cover for all positions too

the only thing missing is an out and out striker

the only thing missing is an out and out striker

Agter last night Im convinced Klose would be a good buy as a squad striker for us. His aerial prowess is amazing and with the type of service he'd get at United I can see him scoring loads of headers and definitely offer something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Agter last night Im convinced Klose would be a good buy as a squad striker for us. His aerial prowess is amazing and with the type of service he'd get at United I can see him scoring loads of headers and definitely offer something different.

Too old at this point, IMO. Apparently we were after him in 2002 but obviously nothing came of it. We could do with a player like Klose, but younger. Klose may be only 30, but we should be looking for strikers around the 26yo mark, or younger - keep the squad young and hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

i can actually see us starting to use the dread 4231 formation more often soon

We used that formation is nearly every single game last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I would prefer Santa Cruz to Klose tbh. Cant see Bayern letting Klose go after one season either, especially after we start bidding for Schweinsteiger aswell! :pac:

I would prefer Santa Cruz to Klose tbh. Cant see Bayern letting Klose go after one season either, especially after we start bidding for Schweinsteiger aswell! :pac:

No. Just no. Klose may be thirty but "Teddy Sheringham syndrome" could come of him and we COULD end up with a wonder signed for 2 seasons and then hope Manucho takes the batton!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sheringham however was a withdrawn clever striker. You can play that role as you get older. A big physical lead the line striker is something that requires some amount of youth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Imagine if we got Cruz, Klose and that german Schweisteger it would be Christmas for United.
    Wishful thinking:D

Cruz over Klose for me, Klose played well but i didn't notice him until that goal and tbh i think the Turkish players played well. Don't know their names but they were organised and that second goal was effortless

Back to United; we need young and fresh blood and i don't think Klose can do it.

Anybody watch Schweinsteiger (never get sick of that name!) in the Bundesliga? Is he good? He has been very impressive in the Euros, and he's a huge, strong lad (yet he's not a slow, lumbering goon like say Luca Toni :D), which is always good. He doesn't seem to be a goal scorer though (15 in 153 for Bayern).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

No. Just no. Klose may be thirty but "Teddy Sheringham syndrome" could come of him and we COULD end up with a wonder signed for 2 seasons and then hope Manucho takes the batton!! :cool:
    Sheringham cost £3.5 million, Klose only joined Bayern last year for £15 million so they would want to recoup most of that I would have thought, not worth it imo.

schweinsteiger is very good yes, i have watched alot of him over the past 3 years, the general consensus is that he needs a move to further his development though. he seems to have stopped moving forward at Bayern

That highly reputable paper The Sun reckon Ronnie has phoned united and did a Terminator job on it. According to them, he now said "I'll be back"

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BC7DF7CEC%2D3BC3%2D4859%2DA3FD%2DFE4AAD215DD8%7D&newsid=6612603

still nothing official though as far as i know

@PHB, yeah i know, im just kinda in denial about it! it seems a very continental formation. maybe im old fashioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

id like us to sign Schweinsteiger, arshavin and Pavlyuchenko- just because they are three of the coolest names ever!! :pac:

If we sign Schweinsteiger, I'm getting him on a shirt :pac: Damn, the only new shirt is that poxy blue one :(

i honest to God cant see Arshavin going anywhere but Barca, he has stated his desire to play for them hasnt he? and in fairness, i know he is having a great tournament, but he is 27, if he was so consistently good i imagine he would be playing somewhere else by now anyway

the striker, he would be an option, works hard for the team. needs to learn how to finish better though

and "the pig farmer" always been a fan, would love to see him play for us, gives the midfield a bit of steel as well as talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i honest to God cant see Arshavin going anywhere but Barca, he has stated his desire to play for them hasnt he?

couldnt really see that being an issue tbh, remember last year Tevez declared his desire to play for Real one week, Inter the next, then Utd.

I'd imagine Arshavin is just encouraging other clubs to come in for him by letting it be known that he does want to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

are some of ye discounting Klose?

the chap would be deadly for ye, a big man who can play the striker role and i dont hink his finishing record is in doubt at all

Yeah - but there are the facts that he is 30, and was only bought for 15million last summer. So he wouldn't be going cheap, and would only be a major player in the team for 2 or 3 years. Don't know that it would be a cost effective move as much as anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Tauren wrote: »
    Yeah - but there are the facts that he is 30

Sheringham was nearly 32 when he signed.

For me Klose - NO.

Also, Klose isnt actually that "big" is he?

More just a great header of the ball, he looked like one of the smallest in the German team when they were lined up.

• Advertisement

Is anyone concerned that there really hasn't been much talk on transfers... It's all about Ronaldo(tbh i am tired of hearing about him, he's a good player but he is not Manchester United!)
    I would like to know if we are actively pursuing any striker, defender just anyone

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Also, Klose isnt actually that "big" is he?

More just a great header of the ball, he looked like one of the smallest in the German team when they were lined up.

He's strong and like Cannavaro, he makes up for not being 6foot4 by jumping higher than the 6 foot 4 guys. His spring is ridiculous.

As for Tevez, I dont remember him "stating" he was going anywhere, I do recall the NEWSPAPERS stating where he was going ever week, and getrting it wrong :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Dave! wrote: »
    Anybody watch Schweinsteiger (never get sick of that name!) in the Bundesliga? Is he good? He has been very impressive in the Euros, and he's a huge, strong lad (yet he's not a slow, lumbering goon like say Luca Toni :D), which is always good. He doesn't seem to be a goal scorer though (15 in 153 for Bayern).
    The commentators were saying last night that he's a had a very poor season for Bayern and has pretty must lost his place to Ribbery. He's had a very solid tournament so far so I wouldnt be surprised to see him move. I'd much prefare to see Santa Cruz @ United to Klose tbh. I've been watching the South American WC quals and Santa Cruz is still banging goals home like theres no tomorrow.

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Is anyone concerned that there really hasn't been much talk on transfers...

No encouraged, as you said yesterday other teams keep stealing our transfers, so the more stum the better.

Ferguson has his transfers picked out already I'd bet, he won't be shopping on the strenghts of the Euro's and buying into the hype. Around too long for that (I Hope)

Yes and no.

I would prefer to hear us being linked with people (not a single decent link this summer, not one) but then the Anderson and Nani transfers came out of nowhere so we do seem capable of keeping things quiet these days. Also, with the Champs on, the transfer activity is always going to be low, for every team. I would expect movement til a week or so after the tournement has ended and teams start reporting back for preseason.

Still though, not being linked with anyone is a little disconcerting.

He's strong and like Cannavaro, he makes up for not being 6foot4 by jumping higher than the 6 foot 4 guys. His spring is ridiculous.

Exactly. His spring is immense which makes him so dangerous from set pieces and crosses into the box, but i'm not sure how suited he would be to playing as a lone striker in Utds team.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Dave! wrote: »

havent seen much of him myself but accoring to george hamilton ribery is after taking his place in the bayern team. wouldnt mind seeing him in a United shirt judging him on the Euros alone, he has strength and never stopped running last night

Liverpool no joking have been linked with 50+ players. I'd hate that situation.

I prefer our position TBH, we only need a couple of signings, wouldn't be surprised if they were already done, transfers are worked on for more than summer.

Yes and no.

I would prefer to hear us being linked with people (not a single decent link this summer, not one) but then the Anderson and Nani transfers came out of nowhere so we do seem capable of keeping things quiet these days. Also, with the Champs on, the transfer activity is always going to be low, for every team. I would expect movement til a week or so after the tournement has ended and teams start reporting back for preseason.

Right, i didn't know anything about Anderson leaving:confused:
    It would probably do him well, seeing as he second best. What team is bidding for him?

Boggles; I think we all hope Ferguson has made up his mind, has decided on who he wants and wont buy into the hype

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Liverpool no joking have been linked with 50+ players. I'd hate that situation.

I prefer our position TBH, we only need a couple of signings, wouldn't be surprised if they were already done, transfers are worked on for more than summer.
    or a middle ground where we get to here about player we are actually interested. In a summer where David Villa and Samuel Eto'o are up for grabs it is very worrying that we are not being linked with either, or any striker.

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Right, i didn't know anything about Anderson leaving:confused:
    It would probably do him well, seeing as he second best. What team is bidding for him?

Boggles; I think we all hope Ferguson has made up his mind, has decided on who he wants and wont buy into the hype

Anderson isn't leaving, not that I have heard anyway, as for being second best... only to scholes and not for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

With Fergie and Gill both on holidays I would have ecpected anything over the last few weeks. With them both back on Monday, the Euros over on Sunday, I am hoping for some signings in the next two weeks.

Exciting ones too.

i had a long post done earlier but the bloody site went down and i lost it :(

id expect the papers to go nuts after the euros but not with anything major about united. besides Hargo and Tevez all our recent signings have been quick and quiet, also the squad doesnt need too many additions so we wont be linked with many players

i had a long post done earlier but the bloody site went down and i lost it :(

id expect the papers to go nuts after the euros but not with anything major about united. besides Hargo and Tevez all our recent signings have been quick and quiet, also the squad doesnt need too many additions so we wont be linked with many players
    A paper could realistically link us with a right back, a centre back, a winger and a striker without people saying we don't need all of them. I would also imagine a few CM links to replace Scholes, but i personally think Anderson will do that.

papers are linking us to people!

but nothing strong because the club are saying nothing and the players in question arent saying much either!

they are just taking shots, hoping something sticks, there is a lack of talent on the market this year

• Advertisement

they are just taking shots, hoping something sticks, there is a lack of talent on the market this year

Villa,Arshavin,Schwinsteiger,Silva,Ronaldinho,Eto'o,Lahm(up until a couple of weeks ago),Alonso,Senna,Alves,Bentley and more and more.

There is actually an abundance of excellent players for sale this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

wait till ya see, as soon as the euros are over:

"man utd have just signed eto, barbatov, benzema, villa, arshavin, Schweinsteiger, Santa Cruz, klose, and pablychenco (sp??) - sir alex ferguson stated that these players were brought to his attention after logging on to the manchester united section of boards.ie, "i look forward to a great season" said the scot who is now more confident than ever of winning everything next year!"

i'm tellin ya, it could happen!! :pac:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Villa,Arshavin,Schwinsteiger,Silva,Ronaldinho,Eto'o,Lahm(up until a couple of weeks ago),Alonso,Senna,Alves,Bentley and more and more.

There is actually an abundance of excellent players for sale this summer

ah come on, there is a couple of names there that nobody would have been mentioning up till the euros

Senna is too old now, Alonso? liverpool reject? no thanks,

thne you have Villa, who i do like yes, Eto'o, big fan of him too, didnt want Alves and we were never gonna get him when Barca showed interest, it was just paper talk, Bentley, na not for me anyway

Plain and simple havent seen enough of Silva to know whether i want him.

there really isnt a good pool of players in the positions we need them i feel.

there is only a striker, a rb and centre back cover that need strengthening really

some good strikers there, but not alot that are really suited to what we are looking for in terms of a different option, right backs are proving thin on the ground too, i was a fan of Ramos but his defensive frailties are really being shown up in the euros, still very good going forward, but i wouldnt like him playing behind ronaldo (for united) defensively

there is only a striker, a rb and centre back cover that need strengthening really

and in the list there was Villa,Eto'o,Lahm and Alves.

as i said excellent players available, incl in positions you need ;)

ah come on, there is a couple of names there that nobody would have been mentioning up till the euros

Senna is too old now, Alonso? liverpool reject? no thanks,

thne you have Villa, who i do like yes, Eto'o, big fan of him too, didnt want Alves and we were never gonna get him when Barca showed interest, it was just paper talk, Bentley, na not for me anyway

Plain and simple havent seen enough of Silva to know whether i want him.

there really isnt a good pool of players in the positions we need them i feel.

some good strikers there, but not alot that are really suited to what we are looking for in terms of a different option, right backs are proving thin on the ground too, i was a fan of Ramos but his defensive frailties are really being shown up in the euros, still very good going forward, but i wouldnt like him playing behind ronaldo (for united) defensively
    again, with the striker issue, i can't make up my mind.

A different option is something I would like, but a clinical striker (neither Rooney or Tevez are clinical) is what we need above all. Creating chances for the forwards isn't really a problem, it is finishing them off that has let us down.

While a big powerful forward would, on paper, be a great addition, I would be fearful of him turning into a player we bring on in the last 20 minutes and then hoof the ball up to him in the hope something sticks (probably bring on Silvestre too, out number 1 hoofer!) Mainly, I think we need a clinical striker, who more naturally plays on the sholder of the last defender, which wouldn't so much provide a different option, as the midfield and defence would need to play the same, but possibly a better chance of scoring. David Villa and Eto'o are the best examples of this that I can see on the market at the moment, and both are being linked to loads of clubs, but not to us. Huntelaar does seem to provide both a big man different option, option, and a clinical striker option, but i dunno - in reality he is quite untested, and seems to prefer a move to spain regardless. I'd take a punt on him though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement