Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    and in the list there was Villa,Eto'o,Lahm and Alves.

as i said excellent players available, incl in positions you need ;)
    Alves was never going anywhere but Barcelona and Lahm doesn't want to leave (has just signed a new long term contract) so neither were posibilities to United.

I read a rumour that united didn't push harder for Alves cause a 28million deal for Richards was in place. However, i don't believe the rumour as 28million seems way too much for United to spend on him and i don't see him leaving city just yet either - also when he does move i reckon it will be back down to london to either Chelsea (money) or Arsenal (supporter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I d take Bastian Schweinsteiger in a heartbeat. Him and Evra down the left, two headcases, you gotta love it.

I still want either Inniesta or Xavi but thay are just pipe dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Villa,Eto'o,Lahm , wholeheartedly agree, very good players all three, even if lahm was made sabri's bitch last night!

i disagree about Alves though, the lad cant defend, and thats an absolute neccessity

apparently we arent looking for a Villa, Eto'o type striker, which is why i sont include them in the pool of players we are apparently looking for!

Lahm, was a possibilty, but he will now be a hero again in Germany and i cant see him leaving this summer, 5 years left on his contract too so little wiggle room

i think we are so quiet on the striker front because we have pretty much wrapped up the signing of Berba (im not saying im overly happy either)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    and in the list there was Villa,Eto'o,Lahm and Alves.

as i said excellent players available, incl in positions you need ;)

I believe Alves and Lahm are not available as they were already sold or signed new deals...........

Villa Im not so sure is the type of striker we need, Eto'o Im not so sure if hes the kinf of ego United need. So Im not worried at all, in Fergie I trust. He knows, better than anyone, what United need. He also wont sign players for the sake of it, we'll get quality.

Tauren wrote: »
    Mainly, I think we need a clinical striker, who more naturally plays on the sholder of the last defender, which wouldn't so much provide a different option, as the midfield and defence would need to play the same, but possibly a better chance of scoring.

yeah i have been saying as much for weeks now. we just need a natural goalscorer

Im not worried at all, in Fergie I trust. He knows, better than anyone, what United need. He also wont sign players for the sake of it, we'll get quality.

+1

btw Lahm wasnt recently sold, he just signed a new 5 year deal ;)

kryogen wrote: »
    Villa,Eto'o,Lahm , wholeheartedly agree, very good players all three, even if lahm was made sabri's bitch last night!

i disagree about Alves though, the lad cant defend, and thats an absolute neccessity

apparently we arent looking for a Villa, Eto'o type striker, which is why i sont include them in the pool of players we are apparently looking for!

Lahm, was a possibilty, but he will now be a hero again in Germany and i cant see him leaving this summer, 5 years left on his contract too so little wiggle room

i think we are so quiet on the striker front because we have pretty much wrapped up the signing of Berba (im not saying im overly happy either)
    Really? I think Berbatov is still completely undecided. From what i can tell Spurs don't even know what he wants to do ( much like the Ronaldo situation) and I don't see United moving for him til the situation becomes a little clearer. Also, the money being talked about him is a bit crazy - Villa or Eto'o could be got for the same fee and be better options/goal scorers for us imo. I'd be shocked if we had all but wrapped up a deal for berbatov, tbh

For what its worth, I reckon Berbatov could become a bergkamp/cantona type player for us - with theyounger stikers feeding off his play. He ain't that quick or good in the air though, which is a con to the whole thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lahm was available, he and Bayern werent getting on and he had rejected a contract, if a club of massive stature had made a move for him a few months ago, i'd imagine he would have been interested.

Since then, the problems have been sorted, so again he is unavailable.

Killme00 wrote: »
    I d take Bastian Schweinsteiger in a heartbeat. Him and Evra down the left, two headcases, you gotta love it.

I still want either Inniesta or Xavi but thay are just pipe dreams.

not sure about the pigmounter to be honest with you, i'd be worried about his play on a consistency basis - hasn't set the german league on fire over the last couple of seasons. Both himself and Podolski are enjoying soaring reps based on the Champs this summer, but their recent league form has been nothing to write home about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I believe Alves and Lahm are not available as they were already sold or signed new deals...........

Villa Im not so sure is the type of striker we need, Eto'o Im not so sure if hes the kinf of ego United need. So Im not worried at all, in Fergie I trust. He knows, better than anyone, what United need. He also wont sign players for the sake of it, we'll get quality.

It cant be much worse than Ronaldos to be fair! :) Id love to see Eto'o in a Utd shirt but maybe as Kryogen says the deal for Berbatov is more or unless done and dusted hence not many links to strikers lately. Looking forward to seeing the Russians today and especially this Arshavin lad, have seen nearly all the Euro games, except the for the Russians who I last saw in their first game in the group stage!

• Advertisement

Podolski just failed to deliver at Bayern but refuses to leave! he has been playing for the reserves for most of the season, PigFarmer however has always been good, they call him the prodigal son in Germany because hes a flippin nutter and is prone to erratic behaviour, but he always comes back...im sure Fergie could help him move forward, the feeling in Germany is that he needs to move away from Bayern to further his progression.

Id have him in a united jersey in the morning if possible

form is temporary, class is permanent, and this guy has serious talent, he just needs the right manager to nurture him, alex has a history of getting the best out of fiery characters

Podolski just failed to deliver at Bayern but refuses to leave! he has been playing for the reserves for most of the season, PigFarmer however has always been good, they call him the prodigal son in Germany because hes a flippin nutter and is prone to erratic behaviour, but he always comes back...im sure Fergie could help him move forward, the feeling in Germany is that he needs to move away from Bayern to further his progression.

Id have him in a united jersey in the morning if possible

I read recently that Podolski doesn't want to stay at Bayern if the situation this coming season will be as it was last season. So if he doesn't get assurances from Klinsmann regarding his position in the squad he'll be off. Also, i'm sure it is PigMounter (or PigClimber) not PigFarmer :D

It cant be much worse than Ronaldos to be fair! :) Id love to see Eto'o in a Utd shirt but maybe as Kryogen says the deal for Berbatov is more or unless done and dusted hence not many links to strikers lately. Looking forward to seeing the Russians today and especially this Arshavin lad, have seen nearly all the Euro games, except the for the Russians who I last saw in their first game in the group stage!

yeah i dont know what it is about Eto'o, i think he is amazing, i just dont see him in a united shirt, i dunno why, i just cant see the move being successful, the Berbatov thing is just some rumours i have hear from Manchester (family) they seem to think that a deal is in place and they are waiting for Spurs to sign a replacement before they announce it, it could be wrong of course, and at least 60% of me hopes it is

Oh, if we did sign the PigMounter, it would be bloody funny to see himself line up with Rooney, Tevez, Hargreaves, Anderson, Vidic and Evra - we'd have a bloody hard working, tough tackling, nutter team! :D

No its Pigfarmer. :pac:

He is clearly nuts and i too concur that Fergie/Queroz will work their Boston Legal magic on him.

and nothing at all wrong with it! - the tough tackling part

i think the literal translation is actually PigForeman(??) lol strange one al lthe same whichever it is!

Tauren wrote: »
    Oh, if we did sign the PigMounter, it would be bloody funny to see himself line up with Rooney, Tevez, Hargreaves, Anderson, Vidic and Evra - we'd have a bloody hard working, tough tackling, nutter team! :D

its like that old Wimbledon team but with quality

its important to have those kind of players on your team! scares the **** out of the opposition :D

yeah i dont know what it is about Eto'o, i think he is amazing, i just dont see him in a united shirt, i dunno why, i just cant see the move being successful, the Berbatov thing is just some rumours i have hear from Manchester (family) they seem to think that a deal is in place and they are waiting for Spurs to sign a replacement before they announce it, it could be wrong of course, and at least 60% of me hopes it is
    Yeah possibly but I think he would be well suited to the pace of the premiership and is used to playing as the lone striker or in a more wider positon. Who would your ideal striker be Kryogen? Villa?

• Advertisement

yes, its pretty well known that i dream about David Villa in a united shirt! his link up play is fantastic and he is a natural finisher, i think he would be perfect for the way the team is playing football

failing that, just find me the next Ole Gunnar Solskjaer! one of the most natural finishers and clinical strikers then club has ever had.

im sure Fergie knows who he wants.

yes, its pretty well known that i dream about David Villa in a united shirt! his link up play is fantastic and he is a natural finisher, i think he would be perfect for the way the team is playing football

failing that, just find me the next Ole Gunnar Solskjaer! one of the most natural finishers and clinical strikers then club has ever had.

im sure Fergie knows who he wants.
    Dont dream too much or it could become like the Mr Alan+Torres fetish! :pac: Yeah he is a quality player and if he was signed and I would be over the moon tbh. Think he could be Real bound though especially if (I mean when :) ) they dont get Ronnie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i think we are gonna drive ourselves mad with this constant back and forth with players, and we have to wait minimum another week id say before we even begin to hear an incling of a transfer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Berbatov looks the safer option than all of them IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1778_3739558,00.html

arsenal in for veloso. alot of sources crediting us with interest but if you look at the quotes from agent, says nothing about us.

PS: veloso looks well like pique!

transfer rumors gathering pace with berb, arshavin and (weak) veloso in last 2-3 days

We supposedly have a first option on sporting lisbon players, i dunno if its true though. we were rumoured to be in for him last year but we didnt need him, i still dont think we need him.

not the area we need to strengthen in tbh

• Advertisement

We supposedly have a first option on sporting lisbon players, i dunno if its true though. we were rumoured to be in for him last year but we didnt need him, i still dont think we need him.

not the area we need to strengthen in tbh

i know, we were linked strongly with him though around champs league games vs sporting. Think quieroz likes him or something. Think there was reports recently saying he's gonna cost 20mill and that's too much for utd. I think he'd be good for us if scholes was gone, him or moutinho. Can't see it happening this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Is anyone concerned that there really hasn't been much talk on transfers... It's all about Ronaldo(tbh i am tired of hearing about him, he's a good player but he is not Manchester United!)
    I would like to know if we are actively pursuing any striker, defender just anyone

I am worried actually. Quite a lot if I'm honest.

However, there's plenty of reasons to believe that the club is trying to conduct its business in private. The Ronaldo saga will probably result in the little backstard leaving the club, which is a loss, but, given Real's attitude, will certainly net United a staggering fee.

Those kind of public battles make you unpopular.

Look at our pursuit of Benzema. We get all high and mighty about Real doing it to us, but we're often just as guilty. Hopefully secrecy is our new modus operandi. ;)

Those kind of public battles make you unpopular.

Look at our pursuit of Benzema. We get all high and mighty about Real doing it to us, but we're often just as guilty.

tell me your taking the piss? you are actually comparing us ringing a club asking is a player for sale, being told no, and going away and shutting the **** up about him the same as what Real have done this summer, last summer, the one before that, the one before that, the one before that?!?

jesus get some perspective

we made an enquiry, we were told he wasnt for sale. we backed off

Real havent even made an official enquiry, they have just declared publicly that they would love to sign him even though we have repeatedly said he isnt for sale

can you see the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Look at our pursuit of Benzema. We get all high and mighty about Real doing it to us, but we're often just as guilty.

:eek:

You are taking the p**s right ? As Kryogen has said we enquired about Benzema, were told by Lyon he wasn't for sale at which point we cooled our interest unlike Real's pursuit of Ronaldo who don't seem to understand the meaning of the words ''Not for sale.''

Taking the piss?

What we did wasn't as bad as what Real did. But we still did it. Add to that the fact we deliberately attempted to unsettle the star player of a team we would be playing.

Just because a Machiavellian approach is the best one doesn't mean we have to ignore our own actions. I'm not saying we should behave differently, just saying a little perspective is nice.

• Advertisement

Taking the piss?

What we did wasn't as bad as what Real did. But we still did it. Add to that the fact we deliberately attempted to unsettle the star player of a team we would be playing.

Just because a Machiavellian approach is the best one doesn't mean we have to ignore our own actions. I'm not saying we should behave differently, just saying a little perspective is nice.

do you even know what your talking about?

clubs ask other clubs if players are for sale, the club says yes or no

the club said no, we backed off!

is it clear enough now? how do you think transfers happen exactly? you think clubs dont talk to each other? we asked permission to speak to him they said he isnt for sale we backed off

talk about your bad comparisons

Eh...

Are you aware of the criticism we received for our attempts to persuade Benzema to demand a transfer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Eh...

Are you aware of the criticism we received for our attempts to persuade Benzema to demand a transfer?

:confused:

Links please.

Eh...

benzema didnt want to leave if i remember correctly... how/why would he demand a transfer?

I know he didn't want to leave. But Aulus criticised United for attempting to encourage one of their players to demand a contract.

Luckily for them Benzema's more loyal than Ronaldo. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Sizzler wrote: »
    Ive never seen a Youtube link pop up so much in one thread before must be the 3rd or fourth time someone has posted it! It is quite good though. :)
    Im sure it will be around again next summer when Ronaldo is linked to Madrid again. ;)

joe, your nuts to be fair

the situations are nothing alike

if you still cant see that i cant be bothered explaining any more

you had so many other transfers to use as a comparison and you choose this one, nuts.

as far as that loyalty statement goes, hmmm.....they have made similar comments about their futures to be fair.........

no offence to you sizzler, but dear God am i sick of that vid! all of them actually, the downfall vids are getting very stale :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Jesus could people please start to use the search button!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

bloody hell...

I hadn't seen it before, I thought it was very good, thanks for posting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Dave! wrote: »
    bloody hell...

I hadn't seen it before, I thought it was very good, thanks for posting it!

too right dave!, besides it is a difficult thing to search for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

twas brilliant!!!

Actually scratch that, best i have seen in ages.. I was ROTFLMAO

honestly not trying to be a smart ass here but.....hard to find?........em......its on the top of the page all the time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

honestly not trying to be a smart ass here but.....hard to find?........em......its on the top of the page all the time :)

Calm down! I never noticed it before allow me enjoy it!

hehehehe

We are addicted to boards soccer, now off i go to bed
    :)

Goodnight everyone, am glad Spain won...

are we talking about the same thing?
    the ronaldo video
    how is that on the top page all the time?

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Calm down! I never noticed it before allow me enjoy it!

hehehehe

We are addicted to boards soccer, now off i go to bed
    :)

Goodnight everyone, am glad Spain won...

ahh come on! i even threw in a smiley so people would know it was light hearted! maybe i should have put in a confused thingy? haha

Goodnight!

still why even mention it if not to be smug about it?

are we talking about the same thing?
    the ronaldo video
    how is that on the top page all the time?

ahh my apologies, thought you were talking about the search feature tbh

the ronaldo vid is also all over the place though! someone posts it up every 2 or 3 days somewhere on the site, especially in the football part

crossed wires

• Advertisement

still why even mention it if not to be smug about it?

what in Gods name are you banging on about now?

the search feature is quite easy to see, if you dont see it you may in fact be blind tbh. i was pointing out that its on the top of the page in response to your its hard to find remark which i thought was about the search feature but apparently it wasnt......

and before you answer i dont want an argument on the thread....

just take it to pm if your looking for one ok

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement