Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

they will get a medal. each team gets 30 medals, for the 25 players reg'd to play in Europe and the other 5 for Fergie, Carlos, Mike Phelan I'd say and whoever else the club decide to give one to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

cheesedude wrote: »
    Sorry to ruin everyones buzz lads, but this is not my fault...it's Ronaldo once again being a cock to be honest:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3606367,00.html

"What the press speculate about goes over my head," Ronaldo said. "I have already been used to it for the past two years.

"I am calm. Everything's clear and I will repeat it once again so that the whole world understands, there will be news in two or three weeks.

"At the moment I am here, I am going to give my best and do the best possible in the European Championship."
    Tbh I love him as a player but a person he seems to be a ****.

cheesedude wrote: »
    How do players like Saha and Fletcher and Park get to enjoy themselves when they don't even get a medal!?

Look at the pic closely and you will see that Fletcher has a medal around his neck.

Re Ronaldo, I was just on redcafe and I came across a post which mirrors exactly how I feel about him. And that was written by an ST holder.
    What angers me the most is that he hasn't shown the fans who sing thier heart out everysecond the respect they deserve.

He has the responsiblity of being honest and to say comments that will just spin the press around and get him a lot of media attention is a little pathetic whether or not he was tricked into it.

I've never heard one BS story about Rooney or Tevez,credit to them for keeping thier heads in the right place.

Tbh Im growing into the "sell him" mentality more and more. I didnt like his fall onto the ground dramatcis after the final whistle. i dont liek that in about 50 interviews he cant just say "Im happy here and I will definietly be here for a few more years then well see what happens" and i dont recall him ever sayin he loves the club..something Tevez has already done.

If he stays I dont see myself ever having the same admiration for him that I have for tevez, Hargreaves, Rooney, Giggs etc no matter what he does on the pitch. I dont like his attitude.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/05/24/Prem-Ronaldo-on-Madrid/

IF thats what he mean then sell him. Pathetic. Cash in now while his stock is high. He thinks he's bigger than the club. Let him go. He can go to that team that havent made it past the last 16 in Europe in 4 years....ambition.

However Ive a feeling that all of this is to put pressure on the board to give him a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

To be perfectly honest Neil, you being drawn towards the "Sell him" boys is EXATLEY what the media want.

Youve seen yourself, if he says "IM STAYING" they bully him into giving them something to print. The first... THE VERY FIRST THING he said on UTV on the pitch with a medal around his neck was "I say thank you to the fans, they sing my name, this gives me motivation to play good."

Ronaldo is not leaving. Thats the ****ing end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Of course he's staying. United have refused to get into contract talks, and this is his way of dealing with it.
    It's perhaps not right, but then he's earning less than players who aren't near the calibre he is at, from clubs less rich than United. So who's fault is it?
    It's not fair to criticise him just because he knows his worth.

Seriously though, we all saw the interview on SSN. He was asked if he was leaving and he said no. Then he was asked 6 times, 6 times the same question. He doesnt want to go but the whores want a story. And fans turning against him is 1 thing that could lead to him leaving.

He does care about the fans, i saw another interview on MUTV and they asked him about "Viva Ronaldooooooo" and he said that Viva is Portuguese so it makes him so happy to hear it sung its what keeps him going.

I laugh to this day at a few of my mates who said "He has to go" after he "got Rooney sent off." 70 goals, 2 leagues and a champions league later its happening again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Villa Would Welcome United Move

Spanish goalscoring sensation David Villa announced yesterday that he would welcome offers from England. The Valencia striker who scored 18 league goals last season was talking to the Spanish press shortly after joining up with the Spanish team as they began their preparations for Euro 2008. He said: "Of course I was disappointed with my season at Valencia, we have many great players and should have done much better", the Spaniard was then asked if he was looking for a move away to which he replied: "I haven't thought about really, I have enjoyed my time with Valencia although I would someday like to play in England - Manchester United are my favourite English team, I enjoy watching them."

Talking about Spain's chances at Euro 2008, Villa said; "I believe we can go all the way, of course there are many good teams in the competition but we have to remember that we are a very good team. We will do all we can to win the cup."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Archimedes wrote: »
    Villa Would Welcome United Move

Spanish goalscoring sensation David Villa announced yesterday that he would welcome offers from England. The Valencia striker who scored 18 league goals last season was talking to the Spanish press shortly after joining up with the Spanish team as they began their preparations for Euro 2008. He said: "Of course I was disappointed with my season at Valencia, we have many great players and should have done much better", the Spaniard was then asked if he was looking for a move away to which he replied: "I haven't thought about really, I have enjoyed my time with Valencia although I would someday like to play in England - Manchester United are my favourite English team, I enjoy watching them."

Talking about Spain's chances at Euro 2008, Villa said; "I believe we can go all the way, of course there are many good teams in the competition but we have to remember that we are a very good team. We will do all we can to win the cup."

http://tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=94505675
    If we could get Villa back to the sort of form he showed previous to this season he would be a great signing - a wonderfully instinctive and clinical striker. He'd be fantastic.

However,I remember reading him say Arsenal were his favourite English side and how their style would suit him perfectly. Maybe there has been some contact and he is making the 'right' noises now.

David Villa would be tasty.

Exept im sure we could expect some Drogba vs Ballack episodes with the freekicks between him and Ronaldo... And Owen.

• Advertisement

wouldn't mind - we could do with more people capable of scoring free kicks. (and someone capable of taking corners - we only have Nani...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Tauren wrote: »
    If we could get Villa back to the sort of form he showed previous to this season he would be a great signing - a wonderfully instinctive and clinical striker. He'd be fantastic.

He's scored 19 goals this season... Whats been wrong with his form this year?

i thought he was better previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

To be fair he was playing in arguably the worst performing Valencia side in the past 20 years, and he still bagged 19 goals! But ya, I guess your right, fair enough.

Regardless of the fact this United talk has come after Arsenal talk - I though Madrid had the deal pretty much done.

This is 99% probably bullsh*t but Im posting it mainly for the comments on the stadium.

Link

Thierry Henry in move to Manchester United
    SUNDAY MIRROR
    By Steve Stammers 25/05/2008

Thierry Henry was on the brink of a sensational move to Manchester United - just two weeks ago.

The former Arsenal star thought he was Old Trafford-bound in a £10 million deal - until Barcelona's new boss Pep Guardiola blocked the move.

A source close to the deal said: "Thierry was told by the new coach he didn't want him to leave, that he was going to be a big player for Barca next season and would have an important role to play for them.

"That was the reassurance Thierry needed but United were ready to buy him."

Henry has been unsettled in his debut season at Barcelona following his £16million move from Arsenal a year ago.

He has been unable to reproduce his best form on a consistent basis as Barcelona failed in their attempt to win any major honours.

Meanwhile, Old Trafford will get even bigger - if Sir Alex Ferguson has his way.

Fergie said: "We could do one corner at least and maybe get another 6,500 seats to take us to 83,000.

"We could get 100,000 in but that's not feasible architecturally. But at least my plan would make us bigger than anyone else could get near to."

Fergie will be gone within the next 3 years. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Link

I think the best line is "There's no chance I will ever be sacked"

I think thats part of the reason why himself and Wenger do such good jobs to be honest. As the song goes:

We've won it 10 times,
    we've won it 10 times,
    Without sacking anyone,
    We've won it 10 times.

Here's a better interview:

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I think it would be hilarious is Thierry Henry signed for United. He blatantly won't, and I don't even think he'd be that good a signing really, but it would still be hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Not possible and anyway i dont want it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Not possible and anyway i dont want it

+2. I always thought he was a bit over rated ar Arsenal
    ( proved right at Barca ).

On David Villa, to score 19 goals this season & considering he was playing in bad team, i think he has had a pretty good season.

Id still love to see Huntelaar :).

Lads, just wondering what your thoughts are if Carlos Queiroz was to take over after SAF? I always thought Mark Hughes would be a fantastic choice if and when the times comes.

Would be delighted with Queiroz. We have a very strong portuguese speaking contingent at Old Trafford with Queiroz, Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson, Possebon, Rafael and Fabio. The English speaking players also seem to like him, plus he's learned from the best! Having someone from within the club who already has an influential role would help keep stability during a time of change. Plus, Queiroz's eye for talent is something else!

I think it will be Queiroz who takes over.

He'll 'bring' continuity, but will also provide a buffer between the Fergie time and which ever manager is eventually brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Re: Ronaldo.

I haven't seen anything particularly wrong with him to be honest. As Mikeyt086 said, every interview you see he's asked question after question about Madrid until he gives them something, anything that they can slap across the back pages of the rags, no matter how ambiguous it is.

Sure, it'd be nice if he said he wanted to say definitively that he was staying for another X amount of years...but would that stop the stories? Henry moved to Barcelona a year after saying he was staying at Arsenal forever. Gerrard was so close to a move to Chelsea after Liverpool won the Champion's League that some fans were burning effegies of him. Hell, even at last season's PFA awards Ronaldo said he was happy to have just signed a new 5-year contract.

My worry is we see a similar pattern to the annual Vieira/Henry stories. Judging from this summer already, we probably will.

Re: Fergie. It'll be sad when he does go, but 3 years is better than going out after winning the double, which would have been a temptation to many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

+Lads, just wondering what your thoughts are if Carlos Queiroz was to take over after SAF? I always thought Mark Hughes would be a fantastic choice if and when the times comes.

god i hope carlos doesnt get the job

if he couldnt do it at Real Madrid why should he be allowed to try it at utd

Mark Hughes for me too

• Advertisement

Mark Hughes for me too

Very few people can do it with Real Madrid. Its a circus over there, Schuster will not finish next season in charge.

Mark Hughes for me too

He finished second with madrid right? Having had his best defensive player sold against his will and not being allowed to sign a replacement?

He didn't get to be manager of Madrid - he was a coach that got apportioned more blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Mark Hughes for me too

Because Utd are a proper club who respect their manager - Madrid aren't.

They were a particular shambles of a club back then - still sort of are. I really don't like them.
    For example Carlos wanted to keep Makalele but directors insisted he be sold because he wasn't a 'Galactico':rolleyes:
    He was on to a loser straight away.

Free goosebumps for everybody with this video......

Mark Hughes for me too

Absolute rubbish.

Look at the print of the assistants on the way we've played over the years. Fergie has always has English assistanst and we've always played 4-4-2 the English way, with orthodox wingers and strikers getting in off the crosses. Now we play a more unorthodox 4-4-2 where interchangability is the key. When Queiroz 1st came in our defence was a joke. In 1 season there we won the league and our defence was great. Gary Neville said at the time that it was all down to Queiroz. Then when he went to Madrid the old habits came back in and look at how we've done since he has come back, look how solid our defence is. Carlos was regarded as the main man behind the development of Figo. Now has has helped (in no small part me thinks) to making Ronaldo great. And he still has Nani, Anderson etc to work with.

Sure we may be able to get a different coach but why would we. Replacing Fergie will be toughest for the 1st guy, Carlos is already there so he wouldnt have to come in under a shadow, and he knows the players. We could do a lot worse.

Madrid constantly undermined him so we didnt see the best of him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Queiroz has to get it,and I'd say Ferguson migt ave a say in it as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Absolute rubbish.

Look at the print of the assistants on the way we've played over the years. Fergie has always has English assistanst and we've always played 4-4-2 the English way, with orthodox wingers and strikers getting in off the crosses. Now we play a more unorthodox 4-4-2 where interchangability is the key. When Queiroz 1st came in our defence was a joke. In 1 season there we won the league and our defence was great. Gary Neville said at the time that it was all down to Queiroz. Then when he went to Madrid the old habits came back in and look at how we've done since he has come back, look how solid our defence is. Carlos was regarded as the main man behind the development of Figo. Now has has helped (in no small part me thinks) to making Ronaldo great. And he still has Nani, Anderson etc to work with.

Sure we may be able to get a different coach but why would we. Replacing Fergie will be toughest for the 1st guy, Carlos is already there so he wouldnt have to come in under a shadow, and he knows the players. We could do a lot worse.

Madrid constantly undermined him so we didnt see the best of him at all.

I agree. He pretty much runs the club now tbh, from the players they buy to the way they prepare for matches. My only concern is, i doubt his ability to act as a ball-breaker for players that step out of line. SAF is brilliant at being both a friend to his players and task master, can't imagine quiroz being as good at balancing the two.

I'm sure he's someone that's not going to take crap from people,and will keep the in line if they try it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

linky for that plz archimedes?

If your looking for the link to that vid its here.

Mark Hughes for me too

Who says he couldn't? You really think he was given the opportunity. It's like Chelsea deciding that Grant was a failure. Crazy. I think United are seriously lucky to have Queiroz, considering he's only an asst manager, and worth more IMO.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Free goosebumps for everybody with this video......

Great video Archmiedes, not so sure about the song though :rolleyes:.

On Queiroz taking over once SFA decides to retire, if it was 6yrs ago when SAF announced his decision i would have NO, but now i am not so sure. I do like Mark Hughes and what he has done with Blackburn on a small budget & also he understands about the club is all about & if he was successful he could well be there for many years, but then Queiroz has also had a huge impact at utd since he returned from spain which no one can deny. I am slightly surprised he has not gone on to manage another club so maybe he has got assurances that he will be taking over from SAF once he retires?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Anyone thinkit was unwise for SAF to come out with the comment being "I won't be here in three years" . The main thing being there is no benefit to him saying this, while there is a lot of downside.

The big downside being there could be a repeat of the previous retirement last year ,where the fact that he was leaving seemed to have a negative affect on the team's preformance. Also there would be a lot of speculation especially in big games. Can you imagine the hype with Utd in an CL Final with everyone going on about it being SAF's last game? Also as regards signing new players or players extending contracts. Players are less likely to sign when its a case of signing for an unknown future coach and a possibly unsettled squad as opposed to SAF. I think this is especially true for players extending contracts. Undoubtably there are players in the squad who would be less likely to sign extensions if they know SAF won't be the manager.

Also does anyone think there is any chance from the full statement that it might be sooner than three years when he retires? Not saying he'll be fired, but that this might mean thoughts of leaving are on his mind and that he might decide to leave soon.

Just find it odd that he should say anything at all about this. I would have thought from the experience of the last time he would have known more to say anything about this and that when he did decide to retire it would be a case of an announcement one day with no previous hint. Just find it odd

not so sure about the song though

You'll have to blame SS for that one!
    I am slightly surprised he has not gone on to manage another club

I'm not tbh,casue really he's the one who is doing all the coaching with the players,SAF seems to be more for the rousing speeches etc....! Now that's not to say I'm taking away from SAF,he's still top notch,but why would Queiroz go anywhere,he's at one of the biggest clubs in the world,with great chances every season to win trophies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Fergie is saying he won't be at United in 3 years time becuase it's obvious his job will be done by then ie: United's Record 20-6 Liverpool's Record 18-5. :D:p

• Advertisement

Be some remaining 3 years if he manages that!

kmart6 wrote: »

I don't think its impossbile with the current team we have and a couple of signings in the summer to make us a bit stronger, a striker being the No.1 target.

kmart6 wrote: »

Your telling me. If that were to happen United would become the first team since Real in the Late 50's Early 60's to win the Cup more than twice in a row. :eek:

Gill: Queiroz might replace Ferguson
    CARLOS Queiroz is "very much in the frame" to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford, according to United chief executive David Gill.

Ferguson has revealed he will quit as United boss within the next three years.

And although Gill insists he has not been told that by Ferguson himself, he conceded United could follow in Liverpool's example with an internal appointment when the Scot does step down.

"We haven't discussed that," Gill told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme.

"I think his guiding principle over whether he stays is whether he is healthy and still has the desire, which I'm sure he will have.

"It's still three and a half years away, we will look at it at that time."

Asked about planning for Ferguson's successor, Gill added: "We are making sure our squad is continually reviewed and improved as necessary and the age of the squad is right so that, when Alex does decide to retire, anyone taking over has a fantastic squad with the right age profile.

"We also have an assistant manager who will be very much in the frame in Carlos Queiroz.

"He's clearly a key part of our success. If you look at what Liverpool achieved in their very successful years during the '70s and '80s (that) was through internal appointments.

"Carlos is a key factor in all the success we've achieved over the last couple of seasons."

Ferguson has already gone back on one promise to retire but insisted he will not be managing at Old Trafford by the time he reaches 70 in December 2011.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1051116_queiroz_in_the_frame__gill

Interesting. I'd be happy enough if Queiroz took over from Fergie. :)

Your telling me. If that were to happen United would become the first team since Real in the Late 50's Early 60's to win the Cup more than twice in a row. :eek:
    Could be done!:D

Ajax and Bayern both won it 3 in a row in the 70's

davyjose wrote: »
    Ajax and Bayern both won it 3 in a row in the 70's

My Bad :o

Nobodies every won the CL back-to-back though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i hope that was either humour, or just forgetting that the champions league was just called the European cup before and is in fact the same competition?

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    i hope that was either humour, or just forgetting that the champions league was just called the European cup before and is in fact the same competition?
    No as it clearly states nobody has one the CL=CHAMPIONS LEAGUE back to back!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement