Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

When have Gill and Ferguson come out in the press and said X player will be playing for United next season even though they wouldn't have made a bid for said player, Unlike Schuster and Calderon at Real who have come out over and over again in Marca saying Ronaldo would be playing for Madrid next season despite the fact Real have not had any contact whatsoever with United at all never mind made a bid for Ronaldo.

BTW T4TF could you stop reffering to United as Man U as it has Munich overtones.
    BTW T4TF could you stop reffering to United as Man U as it has Munich overtones.

Can you explain this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

why do people keep answering when someone compares united to madrid in the market? everyone knows they are totally different. madrid are in a league of their own when it comes to being dickheads

just ignore them and they will go away, the guys who come in to have a pop and try start an argument that is

the Man U thing is a bit pedantic denis

kryogen wrote: »
    why do people keep answering when someone compares united to madrid in the market? everyone knows they are totally different. madrid are in a league of their own when it comes to being dickheads

just ignore them and they will go away, the guys who come in to have a pop and try start an argument that is

the Man U thing is a bit pedantic denis
    I will be honest I have never heard of this Man U thing Denis speaks of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

I've stopped reading everything that's been written about Ronnie for the last few days but is the latest that he seems to be about to do a u-turn and commit to Utd now? Got a tabloid this morning though and it says he would be required to take a pay cut of 1.5 mill if he goes to Madrid anyone else smell a greedy rat here??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That has to be the funniest thing i've ever seen posted on this board :) T4TF was responsible for Munich I tell ya!!

As for the people who think United are any better, how is bringing a player around a training ground better or worse? My issue with Madrid is that they flaunt the rules, while at least United pretend to be honest. Same with Chelsea. Very few honourable clubs left in football in this regard, Bayern perhaps?

If Ronaldo had a dream move for Madrid and he left, I'd be fine with that. It's just about respect. If you want to leave, say it. Don't **** around, try to get more money, screw people over, etc. etc. He is a mercanary that would prefer to play for Madrid. Personally I think he bought into Marcas hype about 100 mill 300k a week, and is now like, wait they were ****ed with me too????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    T4TF was responsible for Munich I tell ya!!

poor lad seems to get the blame for everthing!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Van Zuylen wrote: »

Can you explain this?

It orginated from so called Liverpool supporters as far as I know :

Man U Never Intended Coming Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's just stupid.

Never heard that before

That's just stupid.

Agreed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

stupid maybe, but still highly offensive to some. surprised that more here aren't aware of this connection:
    Feature: No Man U, Only Man Utd

In India, there are a number of amateur football fans who tend to call the club they follow by names which are an utter insult to the same. An avid Manchester United fan and the moderator of Manchester United Fans in Mumbai community on Orkut, Dhruv Tikka voices his concerns as to why the Red Devils mustn’t be referred as ‘Man U’ atleast by their fans.

This term is only used by United rivals as a complete and utter insult to the club. Many United competitors would sing a song about the Munich air disaster which claimed the lives of eight players.

Man U Man U went on a plane Man U Man U never came back again...

If you’re a Man United fan and that doesn’t get your blood boiling, I’m sure nothing will.

Manchester United are nicknamed UNITED, MAN UNITED, MAN UTD and RED DEVILS.

There are no official songs with a ‘Man U’ word nor will one lay his hands on an official merchandise using that term. Manchester City isn’t christened Man C or an Aston Villa as Ast V. Like the song goes ‘There’s Only One United’ so people will know where your loyalty is.

The term Utd is the proper abbreviation for the word United and nothing else. Why can’t some accept this and get over themselves....

The Scousers (Liverpool fans) often tease United about the Munich incident again by chanting ‘Man U Never Intended Coming Home.’ It wasn’t just chants as it was also popular to write this as graffiti.

When did this chant originate? Possibly in the 1960’s.

There was huge competition between clubs to sign Duncan Edwards when he was a schoolboy in the early 50s and there was even a newspaper campaign in the Midlands to pressure him into signing for a Midlands club, as he came from Dudley. His signing for United caused a lot of people in the Midlands to regard him as a traitor and was hate figure for them.

It was West Brom fans who first began this mantra.

Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave,Man you are manure-rotting in your grave,

The origin of Man U is a song to insult the dead Duncan Edwards. The Liverpool and Leeds fans copied this with their own versions. It is strange to hear from United fans referring them as ‘Man U.’

There was literally a bloodbath up on the old Scoreboard End at Old Trafford in 1964-65 season when the West Bromwich Albion fans sang. A big battle took place with the home fans outnumbering the visiting ones and hammering them to the utmost.Get the picture?

Most clubs did try to ban the chant. After United won the European Cup , it sprang up again but this time there was also ‘Who's that lying in the aircraft.’ The West Brom fans taunted using a United song ‘Who's that team we call United.’

But by the end of the decade it became universal and the term "Man U" became the word used by almost all rival fans to affront United. Everyone knew what it meant. It was laughter at the death of Duncan and the Babes.Fans of Spurs and oddly enough Chelsea never sang Munich songs either.

A place where the word ‘Man U’ could spell doom was Millwall, even if you were a United fan .United played them when they were in the second division and the policemen were asked to work despite having a leave.

The League officials had even tried to stop allocating United fans a ticket to Millwall.The kick off was put forward to 11 am to try and stop all United fans from going down there. It was billed as the ‘fight of the century.’

Not one single punch was thrown inside the ground. There was even a picture in the Sunday Mirror of two United fans with "Harry the Dog" What did happen was after the match a combined force of 20,000 plus United and Millwall fans descended on the Kings Road and smashed the place up, including the football ground.

But a lot of the violence that happened with United fans around that time was usually sparked by the words ‘Man U.’

When Teddy Sheringham signed for United, incidentally he referred the club as ‘Man U’ and received a dressing down from Sir Alex Ferguson.

So, I expect the so-called Unite fans stop chanting ‘Man U’ and as far as rival fans are concerned…..
    http://www.goal.com/en-india/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=542946

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

that is quite possibly the most stupid thing i have ever heard

A bit over-sensitive alright I think.

i am aware of what you meant Denis,as i am sure alot of united fans here do.

i mean its pedantic to have a pop at T4TF for it, i dont think he meant it that way

Mr Alan wrote: »

Liverpool fans took umbrage at this thread. the connotations are the similar for certain United fans as this was to Liverpool fans. the etymology doesn't matter, it's how it is perceived that does. it's not unreasonable for Irwin to ask for people to refrain from using that term imo.

A bit over-sensitive alright I think.

no it isnt, the actual context is understandable.it is meant to be offensive to united fans, i know where Denis was coming from, but i am sure that alot of the non united fans, and possibly now even that alot of the united fans on this board dont know about it.

i wouldnt have a pop at T4TF for it on here because i am sure he doesnt know what it means, if i thought he did know what it meant i wouldnt be as quick to defend him.

in fact if i thought someone did know what it meant, and was saying it with full knowledge and intent to wind up united fans i would be the first to start hammering into them!

Mr Alan wrote: »

can you clarify that statement please, as i am a bit offended at what i think your saying....

would you like it if someone responded to Liverpools boycott and hatred of The Sun newspaper as the stupidest thing they had ever heard?

Liverpool fans took umbrage at this thread. the connotations are the similar for certain United fans as this was to Liverpool fans. the etymology doesn't matter, it's how it is perceived that does. it's not unreasonable for Irwin to ask for people to refrain from using that term imo.

Thanks leninbenjamin. I see that one or two of the posters who were saying the whole ''Man U'' Referenece to the Munich air crash thing was a bit stupid were also among the very first people to find offense and rightly so at the reference to the Hillsborough disaster in that thread you've linked to.

On another note in my OP it wasn't meant to be an attack on T4TF personally. I was just pointing out that as Man United fan and Ireland supporter (Liam Whelan as many of you know was one of those who died in the crash) I took exception to United being refered to as 'Man U'

kryogen wrote: »
    i wouldnt have a pop at T4TF for it on here because i am sure he doesnt know what it means,

i fairness i don't see how it could be considered a pop.

seems like a perfectly reasonable request to me (except for the txtspk :p)

• Advertisement

Why the fcuk does everything always have to descend into an argument on this place.

Mr Alan was clearly saying the whole Man U thing was stupid, then you Kryogen have to start into the whole boycotting the Sun.

Why oh fupping why this always have to happen on here.

That's just stupid.

just spotted this now. PHB, if you dont know anything about a subject,or are unaware of what it means to others i think history has always proved that keeping your mouth shut is normally the best thing to do

I thought the name originated from the scrore thingy in topleft hand corner of the television.

Why the fcuk does everything always have to descend into an argument on this place.

Mr Alan was clearly saying the whole Man U thing was stupid, then you Kryogen have to start into the whole boycotting the Sun.

Why oh fupping why this always have to happen on here.

I asked him for clarification, nothing to do with you.

i asked him how he would feel if people said the reasons for why pool fans hate the sun was stupid?

again, nothing to do with you

i am not looking for an argument, but i think if people dont know what they are talking about they shouldnt be talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

From the Platini article:
    "It's part of the system we have today. Players move from club to club and I can understand why Real Madrid want him.

"They had [Alfredo] di Stefano and [Ferenc] Puskas in the past, and as Ronaldo is considered one of the best or the best player in the world it's normal.

He didn't exactly pick the two best examples to demonstrate the normality of Madrid's transfers. Di Stefano had already signed for Barcelona before Franco ordered that he play for Madrid. Puskás, aswell, fled his homeland to join Madrid two years after playing in a World Cup final with his native Hungary (widely considered as one of the best international teams ever). It was only nearly 40 years later, after the fall of the iron curtain, that he was given a full pardon by the Hungarian government and allowed return to his native country.

Anyway, I jut found it indicative of how full of shít he really is!:D

Excuse me , but the tone of your last two posts are being aggressive.

I forgot your the " Man U " know it all on here my apologies.

• Advertisement

An Citeog wrote: »
    From the Platini article:
    "It's part of the system we have today. Players move from club to club and I can understand why Real Madrid want him.

"They had [Alfredo] di Stefano and [Ferenc] Puskas in the past, and as Ronaldo is considered one of the best or the best player in the world it's normal.

He didn't exactly pick the two best examples to demonstrate the normality of Madrid's transfers. Di Stefano had already signed for Barcelona before Franco ordered that he play for Madrid. Puskás, aswell, fled his homeland to join Madrid two years after playing in a World Cup final with his native Hungary (widely considered as one of the best international teams ever). It was only nearly 40 years later, after the fall of the iron curtain, that he was given a full pardon by the Hungarian government and allowed return to his native country.

Anyway, I jut found it indicative of how full of shít he really is!:D

I wonder would Mr Platini have the same opinion of this situation if it was United doing what Madrid are doing with Ronaldo to someone like David Villa for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

have you a problem or something? nearly every single one of your posts seems to involve you fighting with someone. You wont be missed after that last post anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:eek:

Seriously lads.

Come on now.

Whoa kryogen you need to take a chill pill. Van Zuylen was obviously looking for a reaction from you and you've give it to him and possibly got yourself banned from the soccer forum at the same time. :)
    I truly was not looking for a reaction , I am United fan through and through, why he has to go overboard I do not understand.

In fact I apologise if it seemed like I was trying to goad Kryogen a fellow fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I truly was not looking for a reaction , I am United fan through and through, why he has to go overboard I do not understand.

well he's not going to last much longer if Mods see that last post by him, he's ruining this United thread as every day he seems to be arguing with someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

kryogen banned

In fact I apologise if it seemed like I was trying to goad Kryogen a fellow fan.

And I apologise if you felt that I was attacking you in someway by saying that you were trying get a reaction out of Kryogen. :)

And I apologise if you felt that I was attacking you in someway by saying that you were trying get a reaction out of Kryogen. :)
    No no , jesus this has been blown out of porportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

well I'm sure glad that's been dealt with....

Anywho, sports.........

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has tried to hijack Andrei Arshavin's expected move to Barcelona by asking the Russia midfielder to consider playing for the Blues. (Daily Telegraph)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7478873.stm

I see Chelski are doing there usual 11th hour hijacking of transfers to try and get Arshavin to Stamford Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7478873.stm

I see Chelski are doing there usual 11th hour hijacking of transfers to try and get Arshavin to Stamford Bridge.
    Well that had to be expected considering the whole Russian connection!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

DesF wrote: »
    :eek:

Seriously lads.

Come on now.
    Too late. :) I do like the imagery though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Kryogen banned for a month.

Van Zuylen consider yourself severely warned, you inflammed the situation.

The "Man U" think is a ridiculous over reaction. I know in Asia and the US "Man U" is a typically used term for Manchester United and very few if any of the fans there will have a clue about the Munic Air Disaster or the hostility between fans (nor understand it).

Im very close to closing this thread down.

PSI wrote: »
    Kryogen banned for a month.

Van Zuylen consider yourself severely warned, you inflammed the situation.

The "Man U" think is a ridiculous over reaction. I know in Asia and the US "Man U" is a typically used term for Manchester United and very few if any of the fans there will have a clue about the Munic Air Disaster or the hostility between fans (nor understand it).

I have already apologised for my posts which were percieved as goading.

I have also apologised to Kryogen.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Aaaah - it's almost like its mid-season in here with all these emotions flying around. I saw that article about Man U vs Man Utd before. Most of my mates that abuse me for supporting them type Man Yoo as an insult - guess its all part and parcel.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Maybe he just fancies the weather in spain. Given the last week we've had here I find increasingly difficult to disagree with him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That's just stupid.
    Very.

PSI wrote: »

Why?! Cause those two had words?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

kmart6 wrote: »
    Why?! Cause those two had words?!

Agreed this thread is very well behaved IMO.

And closing it will only mean countless threads on speculation bout Ronaldo and other transfers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Surely banning people who step out of line is enough. It seems like a lot of people read/use the thread judging by the post count after a few weeks. Closing the thread would mean discussing the season will become a mess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Boggles wrote: »
    Agreed this thread is very well behaved IMO.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Back to Platini who can forget his trying to put a medal around Bobby Charltons neck in Moscow. Bobby was having none of it quite right, what a stupid idea... Platini good footballer but :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Huntelaar rejects his latest contract offer at Ajax. Interesting...

Sorry if its been mentioned, im trying to avoid the bull**** argruments and thus have seen about 6 of the 201 pages in this thread. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Wow lads... I did read all the threads and replies... argument doesn't make sense! I didn't know about the Man U/Munich link

Anyways Eur 2008 is nearly over, lets see what would happen. As per Ronnie being a mercenary i would put him as being over ambitious for his age
    Btw wtf is wrong with Abramo? Is he the coach this days? It's hiring and firing for him. As it is they have overpriced and underplayed players. He should make his team work not buy players!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement