Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The weather probably put him off...

He said it was cause of the nightlife in Manchester at the time,he wanted to be provided with a helicopter to go to London!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah - and while not getting too far ahead of myself - when he signs, we should give him a nickname, similar to the innovative Viper attached to Ronaldo for much of last season...
    Hows about Cobra? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Fuppin hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Yeah - and while not getting too far ahead of myself - when he signs, we should give him a nickname, similar to the innovative Viper attached to Ronaldo for much of last season...

Nah Dino has to prove himself first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

BBC Sports wrote:
    Manchester United and Real Madrid are eyeing River Plate's prolific striker Radamel Falcao, acording to the Colombia international's agent Nestor Sivori. (DiarioSport, 1345)

Form wiki:

Years Club App (Gls)*
    2005- River Plate 58 (38)

Always liked Seedorf but he's too old imo and is he a winger?? Thought he was always better emplyed in the centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

sprinkles wrote: »
    Form wiki:

Years Club App (Gls)*
    2005- River Plate 58 (38)

Always liked Seedorf but he's too old imo and is he a winger?? Thought he was always better emplyed in the centre

Hmm off to youtube.:D

He is 22 by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so you guys are after Falco i hear, maybe himself and Rooney could do a duet

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Ron1 & Ron2
    He could be called Ron 2. until further notice Christiano is still Ron1.

grahamo wrote: »
    Ron1 & Ron2
    He could be called Ron 2. until further notice Christiano is still Ron1.

A Cristano will prob insist on being called CR7 or CR to try maximise his money making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I was thinking this last night....about the CR7 range, i really dont get why Real being sponsored by Adidas is even an issue, for instance, Torres is sponsored by Nike despite Liverpool being sponsored by adidas.

Surely Ronaldo could wear watever boots he wants, and advertise whatever products he wants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Mr.Alan the difference is Torres doesnt have a clothing line. If Ronaldo was having clothes made by Nike he would have to wear them to endorse them. But if he plays for Madrid he has to wear Adidas gear to training etc. Also at press conferences with the ADIDAS ADIDAS ADIDAS boards behind him would wash out the Nike gear. Nike said it wouldnt go ahead if he played for Real because they command something like 60% of a players image rights. This means that they can advertise their biggest stars in the club shop, which they couldnt do if Ronaldo was decked out in Nike.

This just in:
    Fegurson announced only 1 singing at Old Trafford this season, this confirms Ronaldo will definatley stay contrary to reports from Guilleme Ballague who confirmed Ronaldo would leave as he was living in Ronaldo's washing machine without Ronaldo knowing and thought he heard Ronaldo say "I hate Manchester". Reports from inside Ronaldo's cupbord have confirmed he was saying "I hate Hamburgers".

BREAKING NEWS ON SKY SPORTS: Ronaldo hate Hamburgers. Hamburgers are the 4th most consumed food in Manchester and therefor Ronaldo has revealed he is going to Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

People should keep in mind a couple of things:

A. We had to borrow to buy players last year, this will no doubt be the same this year.
    B. We still have to pay for Tevez
    C. Fergie talks ****e in the press a lot

That said, Fergie has said

A. Neville will be first choice RB next season if hes fit
    B. He wants to add another experienced attacker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Berbatov will be the player bought IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I was thinking this last night....about the CR7 range, i really dont get why Real being sponsored by Adidas is even an issue, for instance, Torres is sponsored by Nike despite Liverpool being sponsored by adidas.

Surely Ronaldo could wear watever boots he wants, and advertise whatever products he wants?

I think the problem is with the 7 - cause there is no way he's getting raul's number and i think 17 is someone else. So might have to have 77 or something :) So he has to change the brand - so all merchandise they've been thrashing out in sweatshops is gonna be wasted. Think that's the prob.
    PHB wrote:
    People should keep in mind a couple of things:

A. We had to borrow to buy players last year, this will no doubt be the same this year.
    B. We still have to pay for Tevez
    C. Fergie talks ****e in the press a lot

That said, Fergie has said

A. Neville will be first choice RB next season if hes fit
    B. He wants to add another experienced attacker

Tevez is supposed to only cost 10 million. We were interested in micah richards at one stage so i wouldnt rule out a young right back coming in. One or two things is quite vague - according to fergie - could mean 3 or 4 if prices are right kinda thing. Also how you know we had to borrow for last years transfers? Thought it was like 25-30 (hargreaves) + 25 (nani and anderson) (dunno if this is total. Don't think so - may be after installments and the performance based?) + 10 for tevez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Come on people, get on the Ronaldinho bandwagon!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I've joined the bandwagon,
    still can't see it happening though :P

PHB does not think that Ronaldinho is good enough to be a title winning squad :)

fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Smegball wrote: »
    I've joined the bandwagon,
    still can't see it happening though :P

Take him, but be warned, he is the one 'who ate all the pies'...

foto_296194_CAS.jpg

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=522740&idseccio_PK=803

Why not bid for deco?

Deco owned Spanish midfields for the two years he was good (or could be bothered). The refs were in his pocket. He was covering one end to the other by being just as effective offensively as he was defensively (truely amazing). The guy wanted to prove that it was his will to win and his streetsmarts that guided Porto to a Champions League. Not Mourinho. At Barca he did it. He was the engine and instigator or everthing good and the local choir boys Xavi and Iniesta looked more cagey playing next to him.

Then...

The 'engine' started to break down. Made funny noises in the press. Came due for more regular servicing to perform as it once did. It stopped doing the miles on the pitch and holes started appearing in our defence about the same time all the spaces we were creating up front got plugged. Deco struggled to make par for the last two seasons and Barca fell off course with him. People point fingers at a fat Ronaldinho and ego-driven Eto'o, but, those guys were always the luxury goods that completed the outfit. Deco was the pants and jacket. You can tell he hungers again for glory, he flung his hopes on our latest Champions League campaign and the Euros for Portugal, however, not to be. I hope he goes to Chelsea and 'works' to be the player he once was. Because I think the best part of his game, the thing that made him so good, so special and so irreplaceble was his 'work rate' fueld by his ambition to be better than he had the right to be.

Otherwise his just another little South American playmaker. Lots of them around.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Deco will be following Scolari to Cheski I reckon...

eZe^ wrote: »
    Take him, but be warned, he is the one 'who ate all the pies'...

foto_296194_CAS.jpg

Ah, but did you see some of the passes he played in that game? Only a charity game obvioulsy, but DAMN, so of th estuff he produced was sublime.

It would be a gamble, cause you'd be hoping the fresh challenge and new surroundings would get him motivated and concentrated on football again. If it does you have possibly the best player in the world, if it doesn't you have a player that will show brief moments of magic.

Personally, i think it would be worth the risk. I can't think of another available player that could come close to replacing Ronaldo in the team if he left. If Ronaldo doesn't leave, i'm not sure we'd have a place for Dinho, but the potential of having Ronaldo, Rooney and Ronaldo in a 3 pronged attack would be awesome - with Nani and Tevez available too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Tauren wrote: »
    Ah, but did you see some of the passes he played in that game? Only a charity game obvioulsy, but DAMN, so of th estuff he produced was sublime.

It would be a gamble, cause you'd be hoping the fresh challenge and new surroundings would get him motivated and concentrated on football again. If it does you have possibly the best player in the world, if it doesn't you have a player that will show brief moments of magic.

Personally, i think it would be worth the risk. I can't think of another available player that could come close to replacing Ronaldo in the team if he left. If Ronaldo doesn't leave, i'm not sure we'd have a place for Dinho, but the potential of having Ronaldo, Rooney and Ronaldo in a 3 pronged attack would be awesome - with Nani and Tevez available too!

Its all well and good having the skill mate, but Ronaldinho is a lazy unappreciative git these days... Im losing more and more respect for Brazilian stars every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Tauren wrote: »
    Come on people, get on the Ronaldinho bandwagon!!
    And while we are at it lets bid for Ronaldo (Brazil) aswell to solve our striker problems! :D In all honesty Id love to see us take a gamble on either one of them tbh, especially Ronaldo.

Not so sure about Ronaldo - I reckon his knees are about to implode. Never mind his fondness of transexual hookers.

Think he's had his day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Mr Alan wrote: »
    PHB does not think that Ronaldinho is good enough to be a title winning squad :)

fact.

so what?:rolleyes:

I think there was two players planned originally but the tevez situation has to be sorted so it has been cut to one player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Its all well and good having the skill mate, but Ronaldinho is a lazy unappreciative git these days... Im losing more and more respect for Brazilian stars every day.

I agree, if United sign him on a fat lucrative 4 year contract and he doesn't pull up his belly button, it could be a very costly mistake. Other clubs may not be willing to make the same mistake and United could be stuck with paying a Brazilian lots of money for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Couldn't agree more with you. I'd rather see Fletch or Sheasy man the midfield over Ronaldihno who you rightly call a lazy git. I'd love to see Richards and maybe Berbatov in the squad, with the latter replacing Saha. I'd be very surprised if SAF signs only 1 player tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Just posted about a deal in the Liverpool thread:

My dad is a solicitor and he was talking to a representitive of Robbie Keane who said Liverpool are lining up a bid of cash plus Crouch for Robbie Keane, which add funds for a new striker with Dimitar Berbatov coming to us.

Now, i dont know how reliable it is, but i started getting really exited about Berbatov at United today. Exept Rooney-Tevez-Berbatov-Ronaldo? How does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Just posted about a deal in the Liverpool thread:

My dad is a solicitor and he was talking to a representitive of Robbie Keane who said Liverpool are lining up a bid of cash plus Crouch for Robbie Keane, which add funds for a new striker with Dimitar Berbatov coming to us.

Now, i dont know how reliable it is, but i started getting really exited about Berbatov at United today. Exept Rooney-Tevez-Berbatov-Ronaldo? How does that work?

it doesnt... strikeforce gets rotated

It's a bit unbalanced alright. My fear in that situation would be that Rooney and Ronnie would be deployed as the wingers with Tevez and Berbatov as the front 2. I hope we see Rooney in his natural position of centre forward this season but that probably means leaving Tevez on the bench a lot of the time. I don't think we have a good enough winger to complement Ronnie - Nani isn't up to standard yet imo and giggs deffo won't be getting a lot of game time

I'm expecting good things from Nani this season actually - he has tons of hunger and drive. He took a little too much on himself here and there last season and ended up shooting wild when a pass was a better play but I think this shows he's not at all intimidated. When he playted with portugal he was decent including a fantastic cross for an assist against Germany.

Ronaldo being as good as he is has upped the standard at the club - but I think Nani will feature quite a bit going forward and I welcome it - like Anderson I think he brings energy and excitement to the team - his performance against the Arse in the cup for example.

• Advertisement

I'm also looking forward to seeing Nani mature next season... His crossing is amazing, and every so often he comes out with a fantastic long-range goal, so as long as Fergie refines that talent, Nani can contribute alot to the team. It's just like young Ronaldo really... Fergie's been there, done that. Nani will get better.

Ando's gonna feature alot next season, and he's gonna be great :)

I agree he has plenty of potential and his crossing can be great but I find him more than a little frustrating in general play. But I know Ronnie was the same and if Nani is half as good as him, we'll do OK. Patience is a virtue after all :D As for Anderson, I can't wait for Fergie to unleash him next season.

I hope Foster works his way into the team next year too. VDS is retiring, so he's gonna have to be phased in over the next few months. Tommy K has no chance of becoming 1st choice, and that'll be the case in all of the top teams in the world, so hopefully he realises this and is content being a backup (which I think he's fine for) for the best team in Europe.

I'll be interested in seeing how sharp Neville is next season. I wasn't keen on Brown for the first half of the season, but he was really consistent and impressive for the second half (he's upped his offensive game too), so it'd be a shame to see him automatically dropped for Gaz simply cos he's Gaz. The competition will do them both the world of good anyway :)

Re: fitting a new striker (Berb? :)) into the team, I personally wouldn't be too upset to see Rooney continue to play out wide quite often. His work-rate is second to none, and he just runs all day long. But I don't think anyone considers him a top-class goal scorer, do they? His average hasn't increased significantly since his Everton days. Of course, he's still young, and could improve, but really if we get a new striker who can score goals for fun, rotating between himself, Rooney and Tevez would be fine; but I'd be just as happy to see [Berb] + Tevez up front, and Rooney running his b*llix off in midfield.

Rio + Vida will continue to amaze next year :) Hopefully we can hang onto Silvestre, in which case we can rest Vida and Evra regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Also how you know we had to borrow for last years transfers? Thought it was like 25-30 (hargreaves) + 25 (nani and anderson) (dunno if this is total. Don't think so - may be after installments and the performance based?) + 10 for tevez

It was in the accounts. Most people would agree on
    18 Hargreaves
    18 for Anderson but a significant part of that clauses
    17 for Nani but a significant part of that clauses
    Tevez utterly unknown.

Mr Alan, I thought that conversation was about Henry.

I am so stupid! :o you're right it was.

although i think Henry would probably have more to offer than Ronaldinho currently.

It's a bit unbalanced alright. My fear in that situation would be that Rooney and Ronnie would be deployed as the wingers with Tevez and Berbatov as the front 2. I hope we see Rooney in his natural position of centre forward this season but that probably means leaving Tevez on the bench a lot of the time. I don't think we have a good enough winger to complement Ronnie - Nani isn't up to standard yet imo and giggs deffo won't be getting a lot of game time

One of the big complaints of last year was only having 2 strikers. It is a long enough season with plenty of matches to accommodate a third. United were extremely lucky that Ronaldo, Tevez & Rooney stayed relatively fit.

I for one would be delighted if we sign Berbatov. He fits all the criteria for what we need and is proven at premiership level.

Assuming Ronaldo stays, with striking options made up of Tevez, Rooney, Berbatov and Manucho, United are going to be nothing but stronger than last year. Manucho is an unknown quantity and could go either way, his ability to play on the left wing is an added bonus. I expect Nani to be first choice this season, althought he has some maturing to do. As for Giggs I would not begrudge a move to Sunderland, I think the guy is still fit and has alot to offer but not on a consistent enough level for United.

The problem with Berbatov is if Chelsea show interest they will start a bidding war, not only that they offer more financial clout, it will be very attractive to Berbatov not to have to move house or out of the capital. That said we have a good transfer record in dealing with Spurs and I'm sure they wouldn't be too keen to sell to a derby rival.

Our second option all thou more of a risk is Huntaleer, by all acounts he is not too happy with Van Basten's evaluation of him, bore out in his lack of play in the Euro's and a unfavourable offer of a new contract. From what I have seen from this guy he is the real deal and has the pedigree of Van Nistleroy.

I don't think Ferguson will strengthen any other area, he basically bought a new midfield last year and I'd also assume he thinks we have adequate cover at the back.

Brown (Right-Centre)
    Neville (Right-Centre)
    Hargreaves (Right)
    Vidic(Centre)
    Ferdinand (Centre)
    Evra (Left)
    Silvestre (Left-Centre)
    O'Shea (Anywhere)

The first bit of business that needs to be done is to pay Tevez's overlords what they have to and tie him into a 5 year contract.

2nd, stick Ronaldo into an Austrian style basement for pre season to think about things. :D

With alot more next season to come from Nani, Anderson, Hargreaves and even Evra and with some pressure off Rooney and please god playing him in the right position, the future looks very bright indeed.

SAF was talking this morning and said Neville will still be captain so id imagine its gonna be a forward that we sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Boggles wrote: »
    Assuming Ronaldo stays, with striking options made up of Tevez, Keane, Berbatov and Manucho, United are going to be nothing but stronger than last year. .

Keane?! :confused: erm roys a manager now and altho robbie handed in a transfer request, i would NOT want to see fatboy in a united shirt thats for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Keane?! :confused: erm roys a manager now and altho robbie handed in a transfer request, i would NOT want to see fatboy in a united shirt thats for sure!

was he talking about Liverpool-linked Robbie, perhaps.

wtf Boggles?

• Advertisement

Amm.........Well..............Keane is a nickname I use sometimes for Rooney. :D

i reckon Boggles ment to write Rooney (as he is not mentioned in that list) but had a bit of a brain fart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Amm.........Well..............Keane is a nickname I use sometimes for Rooney. :D

hahaha ah i see how that could be a nickname!! :P

Lads Lads I figured it out

Boggles and Mr_Alan are actually the same person. That way Mr_Alan can be the Utd fan we all know he wants to be, while still pretending that he loves Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Too much time in the Liverpool thread methinks

:pac:

Boggles and Mr_Alan are actually the same person. That way Mr_Alan can be the Utd fan we all know he wants to be, while still pretending that he loves Liverpool.

It's true. Ye have rumbled me. I Mr.Alan am a United supporter, I always have been, I only like to talk about Liverpool because of Torre's Statue of David sculptured arse.

He is so dreamy. :p

• Advertisement

Well Kudos to the effort then because the arguments they have had in the pool threads of the last few months are either the making of a rogue double agent genius or some total bi-polar skitso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

We really need to sign someone ASAP! Who i don't know, i don't blame SAF for keeping things quiet Chelsea always snaps them as soon as they know we are interested;)

Deco for them is a good one, the transfer market is STILL QUIET.

Is it me or does anyone miss Kryogen from this conversation:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MIN2511 wrote: »
    We really need to sign someone ASAP!

Why, you're always saying this, but never say.

The season is a good 6 weeks away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

DesF wrote: »
    Why, you're always saying this, but never say.

The season is a good 6 weeks away.

Never say?

I want to know the story with Nani, Saha, Ronaldo etc

Manchester United want Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov and are ready to bid £23m, despite Spurs slapping a £30m price tag on the Bulgarian. (Daily Mirror) Another Tottenham striker could also be on his way as Sunderland will step up their attempts to sign Darren Bent, although Aston Villa and Blackburn are also interested. (Daily Mirror)

Just saw this now, jeez 23m is a lot:confused:

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Never say?

I want to know the story with Nani, Saha, Ronaldo etc

Nani??????????????? Have I missed something?????????????

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement