Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

MIN2511 wrote: »

Just saw this now, jeez 23m is a lot:confused:

It might be but it still won't be enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Boggles wrote: »
    Nani??????????????? Have I missed something?????????????

rumours once that he maybe moving...

As everything is still "rumour" it would be nice to know what plans we have. But as DesF reminds us that the season is still 6weeks away, anything can still happen.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

rumours once that he maybe moving...

Rumour by who?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    It might be but it still won't be enough...

Spurs offered 30m

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Nani??????????????? Have I missed something?????????????

Wondering the same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Spurs offered 30m

For Nani? :confused:

Your being very confusing and vague, i have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Ok here is the story for you.

Nani - Staying (never heard him linked anywhere, 30 mill you are having a laugh)
    Ronaldo - Staying
    Saha - No impact on transfer activity. If he stays he can't be relied upon so we need a striker, if he goes we need a striker.

Ok here is the story for you.

Nani - Staying (never heard him linked anywhere, 30 mill you are having a laugh)
    Ronaldo - Staying
    Saha - No impact on transfer activity. If he stays he can't be relied upon so we need a striker, if he goes we need a striker.

Basically we need a striker. Anyone else think whilst berb is class, he's not the out and out striker that we need?

Spurs offered 30m

I doubt that.

Basically we need a striker. Anyone else think whilst berb is class, he's not the out and out striker that we need?

And some defensive cover I believe unless some of the youth/reserve players are going to impress.

On Berb. I dont think he is the out and out striker we need. I always thought he dropped back as much as Rooney and Tevez. Does he offer us something different I dont think so, does he over good cover for Rooney or Tevez yes. Is he a better finisher than rooney and Teve proabably. But at 23mill to get a potentialy sulky player who wont be happy to sit on the bench, especially for big games when more than likely Rooney and Tevez would be used ahead of him because of their sheer work rate.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    For Nani? :confused:

Your being very confusing and vague, i have to say.

Not for Nani but Dimitar Berbatov. Spurs offered 30m

I can't place where i read about Nani moving but i did

Not for Nani but Dimitar Berbatov. Spurs offered 30m

He plays for Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

anyone else catch SAF refusing to talk about Ronaldo on SSN yesterday?

good to see he isnt getting any more pleasant in his old age ;)

He plays for Spurs.

Ok dude i get it...

He does play for Spurs, they put 30m price tag on him!

Apologies if i confused ye all... :)

Mr Alan wrote: »

Didn't see it but it is the right way for the club to deal with at this stage. The club has said many times he is not for sale. The club has to make it seem that as far as the club is concerned that is the end of it. No matter what the player or any other club say.
    Ok dude i get it...

He does play for Spurs, they put 30m price tag on him!

Apologies if i confused ye all... :)

Ah i think we are getting used to you confusing us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

Manucho will get a work permit for next season so theres another forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kildarered wrote: »
    is that you opinion/guess or have you actually heard/read that he definitely will?

If he doesn't. Give him O'Sheas passport! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

Tauren wrote: »
    is that you opinion/guess or have you actually heard/read that he definitely will?

Heard Utd will apply again for a work permit before the new season.

• Advertisement

Actually now that I think about it and to be fair, I do remember when the January transfer window opened, one of the raggy tabloids (at least one of them) saying that if we were to land Berba, that Spurs wanted Nani to go to them. I have heard nothing along them lines since and the source back in January wasn't exactly reliable either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Lads do you really think Fergie is going to even consider letting Nani go after one season, not a hope in hell. I know Spurs were interested in him before we signed him but thats it. He will be a big player for us next season imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thats the second swap story we've heard about Berbatov, the other being Foster. Can't see Fergie letting either of them go. Nani has shown some real potential, it'd be stupid to let him go, especially since Libson will probably get a big chunk of it too.

As i've said before, I'm happy there is no transfer news at all. It's the only way to get your targets on the cheaper side without Chelsea jumping in.

Mr Alan wrote: »

SAF is a legend! Greatest manager of all time...show some respect!! :pac::pac:

In fairness, why should he talk about Ronaldo? The media have talking about Ronaldo enough for one lifetime, no need to encourage them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is there anybody we would be willing to swap (+ cash) for Berb?

Dave! wrote: »

Dong!

• Advertisement

I not sure if he will defo get his work permit but I'd be glad to see him in the team. He must have been purchased for good reason and also he has done well in an Angolan team who aren't exactly the most skilled bunch (no disrespect intended to Angola). He's heading/aerial ability is really good and I would love to see how many headers he would score with better crossers of the ball at United or how many assists he would get in the box.

If we get rid of Louis Haha and we are left with Rooney, Tevez, Manucho & perhaps Berba (going on all the speculation), it doesn't seem too bad.

Now Berba wouldn't be my first choice to bring to the squad simply because I don't like his attitude but his ability is very good but what happens if Real come knocking on the door saying the want him next summer, is he going to go into a strop and be all moody like he was at the begining of the season as he was for the last campaigne?

I do like Huntlaar because his record for scoring goals reminds me of Ruud but I must say that I haven't seen him in action much at all and I am simply relying/going on stats here.

Saha or Campbell

I do like Huntlaar because his record for scoring goals reminds me of Ruud but I must say that I haven't seen him in action much at all and I am simply relying/going on stats here.

I was at an Ajax match a few years ago and I spent a lot of the time watching Huntelaar to try and get a feel for what kind of player he was (there was a lot of hype around him at the time from the Ajax fans) and his movement is what impressed me most. Very clever runner.

Dong!

Dong is the Asian Ronaldinho didnt ya know?! He reminds me of that "George Weah's cousin" chap!!

BRUTAL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

fletcher!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Does anyone else think Pavlyuchenko would be a good buy? if we sign a striker I don't think it will be a top name like Villa or Berbatov cos they would be warming the bench a good bit and wouldn't be up for that. A player like Pavlyuchenko wouldn't mind as much (one would think!) and he has a fairly good record for Spartak Moscow (136 games, 67 goals) he's fairly tall so he makes for a good target man type of player that we've been lacking. He has good control and is quick, definitely a better option than Manucho or "the new sicknote" Saha in my view anyway. :)

fletcher!?

Only if we got a very good deal out of it. Fletcher is the perfect squad player.

Couldn't see spurs being interested in him anyway.

Dong!

There's Saha. A striker for a striker there.

As much as I do like Park for his work rate, I do think we can find players of higher quality. I was personally surprised when I seen the starting line ups for some of the matches towards the end of the season last season. He did do well but I would like people of higher quality. Not bad to have as a squad player though, that I do admit. At least he doesn't complain about being on the bench but that's the only place I feel really confortable with him being unless he's coming on at the end of a game we already have wrapped up. All that being said, he did come back from being injured for quiet a while too.

Then there is Fergies love child (sorry, just starting a rumour there unless it's already been done), Darren Fletcher. The last decent game I remember him having was against Roma when we beat them 7-1. There was a time when I thought that he would only be taken by a championship side or else the likes of premiership new comers and I still think that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Only if we got a very good deal out of it. Fletcher is the perfect squad player.

Couldn't see spurs being interested in him anyway.

lmao.... no he isnt....

Nice tribute to Ole on ManUtd.com Part One, Part Two

I would quote but its far too long. Good read though.

Then there is Fergies love child (sorry, just starting a rumour there unless it's already been done), Darren Fletcher. The last decent game I remember him having was against Roma when we beat them 7-1. There was a time when I thought that he would only be taken by a championship side or else the likes of premiership new comers and I still think that's the case.
    lmao.... no he isnt....

Arsenal in the Fa Cup this year. Against Lyon in the CL. He made 24 appearances for us this season and not once do I remember him letting us down.

Is he a starter? no
    Is he the kind of player that can play against the majority of the teams in the bottom half and do a good job? Yes.

Is he somebody who gives us his all in the big games, and provides a very disruptive influence on the oppositions midfield? Yes.

Is he somebody that will moan or complaining about playing? No.

Does he provide a good example to other kids at the club? Yes

Is he is really well liked be the manager, coaches, and fellow players at the club? By everything that I have ever read about the guy yes.

Scholes on Fletcher

All the players know what a quality player Fletch is. He was unfortunate not to play for parts of last season, but you have to give him credit for sticking at it. He never moaned, he just continued to train well every day and more than anyone he deserved his chance. Whenever he plays he’s fantastic for the team and he showed that against Arsenal in the FA Cup victory back in February. It was unbelievable to see the way he ran about, despite not having really played for a couple of months.

So yes a perfect squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

A true red legend. Ole in his prime would have been unreal in the current Utd squad.

lmao.... no he isnt....

Are u joking? Fletch is a great player to have in the squad. He's not gonna be a dominant force all season but he's perfect as a sub/replacement. And he;s a big game player, last seasons game at home to Liverpool and this seasons game against Arsenal come to mind. He never lets the team down. Remember he filled in at full back last season at the end when we only had 2 defenders available. Not everybody in your squad can be world class or u wont have a happy squad, Fletch is a great squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Does anyone else think Pavlyuchenko would be a good buy? if we sign a striker I don't think it will be a top name like Villa or Berbatov cos they would be warming the bench a good bit and wouldn't be up for that. A player like Pavlyuchenko wouldn't mind as much (one would think!) and he has a fairly good record for Spartak Moscow (136 games, 67 goals) he's fairly tall so he makes for a good target man type of player that we've been lacking. He has good control and is quick, definitely a better option than Manucho or "the new sicknote" Saha in my view anyway. :)

i agree! i think he is a great player and not just from what ive seen in the euros!

and his name kicks ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Yeah, I've only seen him in Euro 2008, but if he plays like that all the time I think he'd be a good buy. He's the kind of player we don't have at the moment - a RVN type goal scorer (though Ronaldo tends to play like that). I notice when Ronaldo isn't playing we still create a lot of chances, but they aren't put away. Someone like him would give us more options when Rooney or Ronaldo don't play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I disagree that we don't need strengthening in mid field.

Look back at the Champions league final....Chelsea dominated the mid-field for alot of the game.

I'm not a fan of Carrick and Fletcher and Scholes will need replacing soon anyway.

Granted Hargreaves did come good towards the end of the season(which was nice to see). We still need some re-enforcements imo. The back line is the strongest part of the team as a unit as things stand.

I think we should try and rob Essien....

Missed too many chances at the highest level from what ive seen of him tbh.

Samba wrote: »
    I disagree that we don't need strengthening in mid field.

Look back at the Champions league final....Chelsea dominated the mid-field for alot of the game.

I'm not a fan of Carrick and Fletcher and Scholes will need replacing soon anyway.

Granted Hargreaves did come good towards the end of the season(which was nice to see). We still need some re-enforcements imo. The back line is the strongest part of the team as a unit as things stand.

The CL final was 50-50. We dominated the first half, they dominated the second half.

Remember the 1st half with Hargreaves constantly threatening down the right?

Games go in phases and we have enough in the middle to compete with anyone IMO. especialy considering Anderson and Fletch are in reserve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

Then there is Fergies love child (sorry, just starting a rumour there unless it's already been done), Darren Fletcher. The last decent game I remember him having was against Roma when we beat them 7-1. /QUOTE]

Hello all a newbie with his first football post.
    But i have to say that Fletchers last good game was against Arsneal in the FA Cup when he scored twice.( well deflection off Gallas)! He ran the united midfiled that night and Fab Fabergas didnt have 2 seconds to look up and pass the ball. Im not the bigest fan of Fletcher but well called apon he does the job

Cadzer wrote: »
    Hello, and welcome to the soccer forum on Boards.ie

I'm in charge here, so don't piss me off.

Cadzer wrote: »
    But i have to say that Fletchers last good game was against Arsneal in the FA Cup when he scored twice.( well deflection off Gallas)! He ran the united midfiled that night and Fab Fabergas didnt have 2 seconds to look up and pass the ball. Im not the bigest fan of Fletcher but well called apon he does the job

Weclome.

Tip for you don't píss off Desf. He makes Joey Barton look like a kitten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

Hello, and welcome to the soccer forum on Boards.ie

I'm in charge here, so don't piss me off.

I'll TRY not too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Scholes getting his nose broke or whatever in the game completely disrupted us.

With Anderson, Hargreaves, Carrick, Fletcher, Scholes we have a good base of midfielders, but I would like another young box to box player.

I'd also like a winger, a striker and a defender :D

Arsenal in the Fa Cup this year. Against Lyon in the CL. He made 24 appearances for us this season and not once do I remember him letting us down.

Is he a starter? no
    Is he the kind of player that can play against the majority of the teams in the bottom half and do a good job? Yes.

Is he somebody who gives us his all in the big games, and provides a very disruptive influence on the oppositions midfield? Yes.

Is he somebody that will moan or complaining about playing? No.

Does he provide a good example to other kids at the club? Yes

Is he is really well liked be the manager, coaches, and fellow players at the club? By everything that I have ever read about the guy yes.

Scholes on Fletcher

All the players know what a quality player Fletch is. He was unfortunate not to play for parts of last season, but you have to give him credit for sticking at it. He never moaned, he just continued to train well every day and more than anyone he deserved his chance. Whenever he plays he’s fantastic for the team and he showed that against Arsenal in the FA Cup victory back in February. It was unbelievable to see the way he ran about, despite not having really played for a couple of months.

So yes a perfect squad player.

I do agree with you there but I just wouldn't be sad to see him go and would wish him well for his contribution and dedication to the cause providing he was replaced with a better quality player. That said and reading some of the posts since mine, I am happy enough with Fletcher but my main point is, I wouldn't be saddened to see him gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Lol, love the dig they make at City in it

"Hat-tricks anywhere these days are about as frequent as long-serving City managers" :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement