Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Cadzer wrote: »
    Hello all a newbie with his first football post.
    But i have to say that Fletchers last good game was against Arsneal in the FA Cup when he scored twice.( well deflection off Gallas)! He ran the united midfiled that night and Fab Fabergas didnt have 2 seconds to look up and pass the ball. Im not the bigest fan of Fletcher but well called apon he does the job

welcome to boards!

but i have to disagree with you he had one good game in recent memory and that was against a half strength arsenal team (they were not the full team)

when i was over in OT for the west ham game he was originally in the provisional line up and you could hear the groans around the trafford, really he is not a player i would rely on, and i never feel comfortable when i see him coming on! not sayin he is sh!t or anything.....im just not convinced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Dave! wrote: »
    Is there anybody we would be willing to swap (+ cash) for Berb?

Carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

raido9 wrote: »
    Carrick

On your bike!

If Carrick improved his tackling he would be world class.

I have been fortunate enough to see him play live on a few occasions, postionally he is the best I've seen in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Samba wrote: »
    I disagree that we don't need strengthening in mid field.

Look back at the Champions league final....Chelsea dominated the mid-field for alot of the game.

I'm not a fan of Carrick and Fletcher and Scholes will need replacing soon anyway.

Granted Hargreaves did come good towards the end of the season(which was nice to see). We still need some re-enforcements imo. The back line is the strongest part of the team as a unit as things stand.

I think we should try and rob Essien....

The CL final was 50-50. They also played three men in midfield which made it harder against our two. We then switched to three and got a foot hold again.

Carrick was one of our best performers for the second half of last season. I would put him down as the best CM performer anyway.

Scholes replacement = Anderson. Seriously Fergie has said this many times
    Just yesterday he said Anderson will improve, Nani will improve, that's the reason we bought them -- to replace Giggs and Scholes in the longer term

The starting backline is very strong, but look at the cover. Silvestre and O'Shea for LB? We don't know how Neville will come back at right back. At centre back we have Silvestre and Evans as back up if Brown is playing RB. This is were we need squad cover, up front we need someone who will be pushing for a starting spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Boggles wrote: »
    On your bike!

If Carrick improved his tackling he would be world class.

I have been fortunate enough to see him play live on a few occasions, postionally he is the best I've seen in a long time.

Completely agree with Boggles. Carrick has been a fine addition to the team. As Boggles said, he could do with improving his tackling but for me, if he scored more of the chances he took, it would be great. Scholes is a class midfielder and yet we all know about his tackling. Scholes and Carrick have great passing vision.

• Advertisement

Completely agree with Boggles. Carrick has been a fine addition to the team. As Boggles said, he could do with improving his tackling but for me, if he scored more of the chances he took, it would be great. Scholes is a class midfielder and yet we all know about his tackling. Scholes and Carrick have great passing vision.

Actually it is not even improving his tackling, he just needs to be braver, he did it for 20 minutes against Barcalona in the second leg and looked like a man possessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Boggles wrote: »
    he would be world class.

First season - very good
    December - March 2007/08 - very very good
    Since - very bad

World Class he'll never be, but can be very very effective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

"never worth the 18m though."

"but they won the league the season he signed."

etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Are u joking? Fletch is a great player to have in the squad. He's not gonna be a dominant force all season but he's perfect as a sub/replacement. And he;s a big game player, last seasons game at home to Liverpool and this seasons game against Arsenal come to mind. He never lets the team down. Remember he filled in at full back last season at the end when we only had 2 defenders available. Not everybody in your squad can be world class or u wont have a happy squad, Fletch is a great squad player.

fletcher is not a good player (well i dont rate him at all), there was rumors for a while he was going to wigan and thats where his level is at. i would put him in the bottom 20% of prem midfielders in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

The CL final was 50-50. They also played three men in midfield which made it harder against our two. We then switched to three and got a foot hold again.

Carrick was one of our best performers for the second half of last season. I would put him down as the best CM performer anyway.

Scholes replacement = Anderson. Seriously Fergie has said this many times
    Just yesterday he said Anderson will improve, Nani will improve, that's the reason we bought them -- to replace Giggs and Scholes in the longer term

The starting backline is very strong, but look at the cover. Silvestre and O'Shea for LB? We don't know how Neville will come back at right back. At centre back we have Silvestre and Evans as back up if Brown is playing RB. This is were we need squad cover, up front we need someone who will be pushing for a starting spot.

Agree on the carrick thing. i think fergie gave him a kick up the hole around October last year. His performances had become a bit lack lustre but i thought he was fantastic from Jan onwards. He doesnt bull around and is a cool head in the middle of the park.

i think we have enough cover at the back with Evans coming back and the 2 brazillian lads in reserve. i think Neville will push brown aswell.

We need one more up front. If we could garantee his form continuing into the premier league then Huntelaar is the ideal player. Santa cruz is another. I personally dont think we need berbatov or a signing of that stature. Rooney and Tevez are two of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Why do people complain about Fletch?

Its not like he plays week in week out so he impacts our team. All he does is come in during times of need and work his socks off.

How can you complain about that? We are ****ing lucky to have somebody in our squad with so much passion for the club who hasnt said a single thing about not being a regular. Also, there is that 1 game a season where he plays like a Kaka/Gattuso hybrid.

He is an amazing pro, we are lucky to have him.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Its not like he plays week in week out so he impacts our team. All he does is come in during times of need and work his socks off.

How can you complain about that? We are ****ing lucky to have somebody in our squad with so much passion for the club who hasnt said a single thing about not being a regular. Also, there is that 1 game a season where he plays like a Kaka/Gattuso hybrid.

Wasn't complaining, just saying if he was replaced with someone of better quality, I'd be happy. No who we would get of better quality and who wouldn't complain, that I don't know.

fletcher is not a good player (well i dont rate him at all), there was rumors for a while he was going to wigan and thats where his level is at. i would put him in the bottom 20% of prem midfielders in all honesty.

Thats a load of bull tbh. If he was only good enough for Wigan he'd be at Wigan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

+1, thats nerdlish for I agree yeah?!

john o shea comes in during times of need and works his socks off, as does park, they are great squad players int heir respective positions, i genuinely dont feel comfortable during these so called "times of need" when fletch comes on, i think he can be bossed sround the midfield and ends up in no mans land!

and i would never consider him a kaka/gattuso hybrid...not even for one game a season! he is not near that quality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Im not that in tune with Uniteds history, and perhaps the fact that the EPL has only come and attracted big foreigners in the past 10 years means that the question Im about to ask is daft... but....

Alot of clubs seem to have a distinctive bond with attracting players from certain foreign countries, for example recently Barca have had a surprising amount of Dutch, and Real have had many Brazilians... Have United ever gone through periods of having a very high number of foreigners from a particular country?

I guess its a silly question, Im just curious, and Im sure you'll agree its a welcome change to all this Ronaldo bs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Man United have had alot of Irish players down through the years... Keane, Irwin, O'Shea, Tony Dunne, Paul McGrath, John Giles, Kevin Moran, Frank Stapleton and so on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Have United ever gone through periods of having a very high number of foreigners from a particular country?

Portugal now, or more accurately, Portugal and its colonies, are strong now in Untied.
    Quierez, Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson, Manucho, full back twins

In general, United like to keep a British and Irish core, and have done so even now (6 English players started the CL final)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

eZe^ wrote: »
    Im not that in tune with Uniteds history, and perhaps the fact that the EPL has only come and attracted big foreigners in the past 10 years means that the question Im about to ask is daft... but....

Alot of clubs seem to have a distinctive bond with attracting players from certain foreign countries, for example recently Barca have had a surprising amount of Dutch, and Real have had many Brazilians... Have United ever gone through periods of having a very high number of foreigners from a particular country?

I guess its a silly question, Im just curious, and Im sure you'll agree its a welcome change to all this Ronaldo bs...

Link below gives you some idea of the spread of nationalities. Its a few years old as still has Forlan as current but the question isn't really about current players !!

http://www.prideofmanchester.com/sport/mufc-kits8.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PHB wrote: »
    Portugal now, or more accurately, Portugal and its colonies, are strong now in Untied.
    Quierez, Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson, Manucho, full back twins

In general, United like to keep a British and Irish core, and have done so even now (6 English players started the CL final)

by the way how are the full back twins going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Jeez now are we talking about nationalities of the players??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

by the way how are the full back twins going
    no one knows really - they haven't really been allowed to play football lately, so know one has seen them play. They have been training with the club since the turn of the year, if not sooner, but weren't allowed to play in any matches., we should see them in the reserves this season though, I reckon.

MIN2511 wrote: »

Ya is that really a problem?

People these days..

And he is still only 24.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

What's your point?

Lads, apologies if what I asked was going to start an argument, thats honestly the last thing I want to do. I was just curious and thought it would be a little less monotonous that all the media sh*te on tv. I'll make sure not to make the same mistake twice... :D

Lads, apologies if what I asked was going to start an argument, thats honestly the last thing I want to do. I was just curious and thought it would be a little less monotonous that all the media sh*te on tv. I'll make sure not to make the same mistake twice... :D

There was nothing wrong with what u asked, dont mind anyone that says otherwise. This thread needs a bit of diversity, ive found it mostly boring the last few weeks tbh.

a few years ago we had 100% a french team, his name was eric cantona!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

ive found it mostly boring the last few weeks tbh.

+1 The only thing I've learned over the last few weeks is of Ronaldos dislike of hamburgers

• Advertisement

So what next?
    SAF should sign an English/Irish player rather than someone from a different country to balance things?
    The last time i checked we all want one thing, United to dominate football in all areas. We know we have a strong team, there are options to improve our team.
    I don't think nationality of players is a topic for discussion... If it is then we may as well continue. It never matters to me where the players come from as long as the deliver

And as for the thread being boring
    • don't forget the Euro 2008 just finished
    • the season starts in 6weeks
    • SAF just got back from his holidays
    • And we are bloody tired of CR transfer

So what next?
    SAF should sign an English/Irish player rather than someone from a different country to balance things?
    The last time i checked we all want one thing, United to dominate football in all areas. We know we have a strong team, there are options to improve our team.
    I don't think nationality of players is a topic for discussion... If it is then we may as well continue. It never matters to me where the players come from as long as the deliver

And as for the thread being boring
    • don't forget the Euro 2008 just finished
    • the season starts in 6weeks
    • SAF just got back from his holidays
    • And we are bloody tired of CR transfer

He wasnt trying to imply that United should sign players based on their nationality at all. Stop jumping to conclusions. And he wasnt gettin into fantasy football bollocks of " we should sign X, Y and Z" He was simply asking both from a current and historical perspective have United had strong ties to a particular nation when it comes to players who've played for us. ^eZe is a Barcelona fan and that carries a tradition of Catalans, Dutch and Brazilian players playing for the club. He was simply guaging if United have any particular ties of their own. No need to get stroppy about that. If u dont care or dont want to contribute then dont but dont go down the route of shooting a topic down just because u dont like it. Some people, myself included, find what he brought up to be quite interesting.

He wasnt trying to imply that United should sign players based on their nationality at all. Stop jumping to conclusions. And he wasnt gettin into fantasy football bollocks of " we should sign X, Y and Z" He was simply asking both from a current and historical perspective have United and strong ties to a particular nation when it comes to players who've played for us. ^eZe is a Barcelona fan and that carries a tradition of Catalans, Dutch and Brazilian players playing for the club. he was simply guaging if United have any particular ties. No need to get stroppy about that. If u dont care or dont want to contribute then dont but dont go down the route of shooting a topic down just because u dont like it. Some people, myself included, find what he brough up to be quite interesting.

Okay, i think i read different meaning into that...
    fair enough:D
    I am just collecting the exact statistics(players and their nationalities) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_F.C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

No need to apoligise eze, its an interesting change of topic. I think CQ influence is really showing the last few years with all the Portuguese players being signed plus our links with Sporting Lisbon are pretty strong. But as PHB said I think its important to keep an English core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I love some back seat modding, great fun. How about this? People report the post that they think is off topic, otherwise shut up about it. Even if you do report the post, shut up about it, and let the mods deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PHB wrote: »
    I love some back seat modding, great fun. How about this? People report the post that they think is off topic, otherwise shut up about it. Even if you do report the post, shut up about it, and let the mods deal with it.

OFF TOPIC!! REPORTED!!

:D

• Advertisement

I just bought a big book on the history of the club, Sir Bobby contributed a lot to it, and wrote the forward, it has the results from each competition from every season itemised right back to the clubs beginnings as Newton Heath.

Im gonna have a gander through it and if its worth it Ill recommend it to lads on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Cool that isnt the OPUS is it Neil, that costs alot of money.

http://store.manutd.com/stores/manutd/products/product_details_opus.aspx?prodID=41630

No no, i wish!

Save yourself a couple of grand and buy this instead me thinks!!

Its accurate up to the 2006/2007 season but its very comprehensive looking. Again ill have to read it before I can really judge but it looks the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

My bro has that its pretty damn cool alright.

The Opus would be so cool to get, only thing is the price tag is so damn high.

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    Cool that isnt the OPUS is it Neil, that costs alot of money.

http://store.manutd.com/stores/manutd/products/product_details_opus.aspx?prodID=41630
    £3000! :eek: It does look the business though. I think Ill stick to Neils option for the time being!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Silvestre set to stay

Former United defender Laurent Blanc claims Mikael Silvestre has turned his back on a potential move away from Old Trafford.

Blanc, now manager of Bordeaux, has long since coveted his former Reds colleague to bolster his defence for next season's Champions League campaign.

He holds no further hope of snaring Silvestre, however, insisting his compatriot will remain in Manchester.

"Mikael Silvestre? It is finished," Blanc told a press conference, in reference to his quest to sign the United defender. "He has decided to stay in Manchester for his last season there."

Silvestre missed much of last season with a cruciate knee ligament injury, but returned in the latter stages to provide experienced defensive cover.

Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to keep his squad together, and Silvestre seems set to stay in Manchester for what would be a 10th season at Old Trafford.

==============

It's mad that he's been with us for so long :) Who are our longest-serving players in the squad at the moment? Giggs, Gaz, Scholes, Brown...... must be Silvestre after that! Is it 10 years after which you get a testimonial, yeah?

I can remember Silvestre debut, it was against Liverpool at Anfield, he played really well. The same game was a debut for a certain Mr Taibi aswell! :) Cant believe its been ten years!

I swear i forgot about Silvestre...
    hmm news alright:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

Silvestre testimonial next year :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

That's unreal he's been with us 10 years. Speaking of testemonials, anyone going to Ole's? Or been to anyone else's? I was at Roy's v Celtic. Was literally lost for words. Great occasion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

That's unreal he's been with us 10 years. Speaking of testemonials, anyone going to Ole's? Or been to anyone else's? I was at Roy's v Celtic. Was literally lost for words. Great occasion.

Have done a few testimonials through the years and I hate them. Ole is a legend and deserves one but i definately wont be heading over. 90 mins of 22 players giving about 30% is what there usually like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Going to Ole's :) Will be my first time at Old Trafford! Should be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

That's class enjoy! Roy's was my first and only visit and I was just speechless. It's an amazing stadium. I kept thinking 'Holy sh!t I see this stadium every week on Sky and now I'm here!' Bit sad I know. Would love to get back there next season. Fingers crossed.

That's class enjoy! Roy's was my first and only visit and I was just speechless. It's an amazing stadium. I kept thinking 'Holy sh!t I see this stadium every week on Sky and now I'm here!' Bit sad I know. Would love to get back there next season. Fingers crossed.

Definitely do! Its better when the game is competitive, though Roys testimonial had that edge at the start with the celtic fans singin YNWA and the United fans boo'ing it!!

Last season I had weekend college and my new job has ridiculous hours so I was very stretched doing anything so the only game I made it to was Barcelona in the CL semi final and this was my seat:

40189383a7708257062l.jpg

40189383a7708259530l.jpg

Scholesy scored right in front of us.

The seats u get really are a lottery if u go through an agency, its the luck of the draw unless u know someone with a specific season ticket seat. But definitely try to get to a European game if u can, special special atmosphere. And you're less likely to get muppet security ruining the atmosphere. I find the league games, the atmosphere can be stale sometimes as the singalongs can get ruined by grumpy families and stewards telling you to sit down. The European games have less of that nonsense but the paradox is they dont serve drink in the stadium on European nights anymore.... Im goin over now in September and Im aiming to get to at least 5 games at a very minimum to make up for last seasons barren run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I knew I saw you at that game:eek:. this is where I was :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement