Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    I knew I saw you at that game:eek:. this is where I was :D

That was u who kept waving at me?!! Nice!! :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Dave! wrote: »

It's mad that he's been with us for so long :) Who are our longest-serving players in the squad at the moment? Giggs, Gaz, Scholes, Brown...... must be Silvestre after that! Is it 10 years after which you get a testimonial, yeah?
    John O Shea - 9 years! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

raido9 wrote: »
    John O Shea - 9 years! :D

Jesus good auld John will be eligible for a testimonial next year too, and at the ripe old age of 28.

Jesus good auld John will be eligible for a testimonial next year too, and at the ripe old age of 28.

Gotta love John!! 100% conversion rate on his attempts at goal in the 06/07 season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAANNNNNNSSSSSSSFFFFFEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR NEWS!

I want some transfer news! this is BORING!!

Come on Fergie, SIGN RONALDINHO!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Neil - From where you were sat I bet you can see yourself in the slow-mo replays of the goal??

Especially at the 53-55second marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he was in talks with Man City again yesterday according to SSN Tauren mate, so it aint gonna happen ;)

It'll happen Alan.... don't freaking test me today! Division 6..... NOT FREAKING HAPPY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Oh that'll be worth the wait. Imagine the bidding war between Sky / Setanta for that :D

• Advertisement

Neil - From where you were sat I bet you can see yourself in the slow-mo replays of the goal??

Especially at the 53-55second marks.

Haha Im in that vid 3 times.

28 seconds in when they're showing the crowd, i emerge at the front left wavingt my scarf around like a nutter!

39 seconds in, on the left, 2nd row

55-59 seconds, right by the post.

helps being 6ft 3, makes me easier to spot!!

Oh the memories!! :pac::pac:

Tauren wrote: »

Come on Fergie, SIGN RONALDINHO!!

meh im not worried, we'll get who we get, its only the 2nd July!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Definitely do! Its better when the game is competitive, though Roys testimonial had that edge at the start with the celtic fans singin YNWA and the United fans boo'ing it!!

Last season I had weekend college and my new job has ridiculous hours so I was very stretched doing anything so the only game I made it to was Barcelona in the CL semi final and this was my seat:

40189383a7708257062l.jpg

40189383a7708259530l.jpg

Scholesy scored right in front of us.

The seats u get really are a lottery if u go through an agency, its the luck of the draw unless u know someone with a specific season ticket seat. But definitely try to get to a European game if u can, special special atmosphere. And you're less likely to get muppet security ruining the atmosphere. I find the league games, the atmosphere can be stale sometimes as the singalongs can get ruined by grumpy families and stewards telling you to sit down. The European games have less of that nonsense but the paradox is they dont serve drink in the stadium on European nights anymore.... Im goin over now in September and Im aiming to get to at least 5 games at a very minimum to make up for last seasons barren run.

no way i was sitting in that exact seat you were in last year. United V Sporting. I wasnt as lucky as you though cos all the goals in my game were scored down the other end. there are very few bad seats in OT but that is one of them if all the play is down the far end. What tour operator? Wasnt wharton by any chance was it?

Wouldnt it be great to arrange a boards united trip away?

no way i was sitting in that exact seat you were in last year. United V Sporting. I wasnt as lucky as you though cos all the goals in my game were scored down the other end. there are very few bad seats in OT but that is one of them if all the play is down the far end. What tour operator? Wasnt wharton by any chance was it?

Wouldnt it be great to arrange a boards united trip away?

Thats wild! Couldnt believe it when we got in, 2nd row!

I cant remember which one, my friend got them for me. Basically i put the word out that i was interested and hoped for the best. Ended up gettin offered 2 different tickets! :p:p

Hmmm a boards United trip, Mr Alan, wanna come!? Lifelong fan and all that!! :P Itd have to get loutish down in the Blaize for me to be interested!! haha!! :D:pac:

Itd have to get loutish down in the Blaize for me to be interested!! haha!! :D:pac:

defo, no other way of doing it. get a mushy peas and chips before going in aswel!!

the european games in particular the knockout ones are amazing. It beats the hell out of any sporting occasion I've ever been at including the big all ireland games.

In recent years i've been at the 2 roma games and the sporting one. i'd love to go to another one although I said i wouldnt do the boat again for a while not with me da anyway. If i was going with a bunch of louts i'd have no problem doing it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

best i can do:

link: http://www.premiershiplatest.com/manchester-united
    Manchester United are being linked with Russia forward Roman Pavlyuchenko and Netherlands attacker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.

The Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson recently disclosed his summer transfer plans saying that it is just one player that he thinks is needed for his side from the market.

The Premiership and Champions League title holders are however, linked with a host of players, but from the attacking bunch, suggesting that Ferguson is looking to sharpen up the striking department with Tottenham’s Dimitar Berbatov being the long-time target.

In keeping with the transfer talk with respect to the forwards, 26-year-old Pavlyuchenko of Spartak Moscow has now found his name linked with United with The Daily Star reporting after his impressive showing in Euro 2008 in Austria and Switzerland.

On the other hand, Dutch international Huntelaar has been linked with the Red Devils for some time now, but the 24-year-old Ajax man is now once again being talked as one of the players on United radar.
    Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has been given the all-clear to sign long-term transfer target Dimitar Berbatov from Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur, according to reports.

It has emerged that the Champions League Winners are officially out of the running for French International Karim Benzema, due to Olympique Lyonnais’ valuation of the young forward.

Manchester United will now turn once again in the direction of Bulgarian International Berbatov, and is reported to be willing to pay what it takes to bring the forward to Old Trafford, according to The Daily Mirror.

Spurs value 27-year-old Berbatov at £30million(€37.9m), but it is believed that Ferguson is about to test the resolve of the White Hart Lane Club with a £23million(€29.1m) offer for the player, who joined Spurs from Bayer Leverkusen in 2006.

Ferguson has already stated that United are only likely make one big signing this summer, with the classy Berbatov seen as an ideal alternative attacking option to Argentine International Carlos Tevez and England International Wayne Rooney.

However Spurs have stood their ground so far to keep Berbatov at White Hart Lane, with reports that Tottenham are unwilling to sell their star player to the Premiership Champions after the transfer of Michael Carrick to the Red Devils in 2006, which it is rumoured to have left bad feeling between the two clubs.

Berbatov has already stated his desire to leave Spurs, with AC Milan of Serie A and La Liga side Barcelona also linked with the Spurs man this summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

No need to apoligise eze, its an interesting change of topic. I think CQ influence is really showing the last few years with all the Portuguese players being signed plus our links with Sporting Lisbon are pretty strong. But as PHB said I think its important to keep an English core.

How many Brazilians have played at Man Utd throughout the years? It seems the Portugese ties are making it more attractive for players like Anderson.. It can only spell good things for the future of your club, because you'll now have an even larger target market... Normally those players would feel more comfortable in a Spanish/ Italian environment, but now that there will be such a strong Portugese contingent, these up and coming stars will be considering Man Utd ahead of the Spaniards...

Do United have any deals with South American clubs so that they get first preference with their players if they want to leave for Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Is every player due back for pre-season today? Or just our non-Euro 2008 players.

eZe^ wrote: »
    How many Brazilians have played at Man Utd throughout the years? It seems the Portugese ties are making it more attractive for players like Anderson.. It can only spell good things for the future of your club, because you'll now have an even larger target market... Normally those players would feel more comfortable in a Spanish/ Italian environment, but now that there will be such a strong Portugese contingent, these up and coming stars will be considering Man Utd ahead of the Spaniards...

2 for the first team, Kleberson and Anderson.

We also have Possebom (central midfield playmaker, highly regarded when he arrived) and Fabio and Rafael (the twin fullbacks) at the club but they havent played for the 1st team.
    eZe^ wrote:
    Do United have any deals with South American clubs so that they get first preference with their players if they want to leave for Europe?

Not that im aware of but we do have a linkup with Sporting Lisbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Don't know about deals with South American clubs. I think Kleberson was the first player from Brazil to play for Utd. So the only brazilian players have been him and Anderson. We then have the two brazilian full backs coming through as well.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Is every player due back for pre-season today? Or just our non-Euro 2008 players.

just the non tournament players, I think the others get an extra 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

Kleberson was the first Brazillian to play for us, with Anderson becoming the second.

We have a deal with Fluminese (whatever the spelling) for first option, having signed the Brazil U17 full backs (twins) from them; Rafael and Fabio They arrived at the club last January, I think, but didn't turn 18 til this summer so have only been able to train. Have no real idea if they are any good, but apparently the Brazil coach had spoken to them about te possibility of them being included in the Olympic side (they weren't in the end) so they must be halfway decent.

There were rumours of a similar deal with Sao Paolo after we signed Rincon from them (he never actually arrived at the club, not sure what happened there....) but there is no official deal in place there, just two clubs who had pleasent transfer dealings.

just the non tournament players, I think the others get an extra 3 weeks.

was it three weeks? I thought it was two (ronnie was given longer)

Also, whatever time they were given, it was from the date of their last game at the tournement - so players who went out earlier (Evra) would be due ack earlier.

Also, I think Rooney is still on his honeymoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Van Der Sar was given a dispensation to come back whenever he feels like it, on account of his age (and at his age, Fergie says, he knows when he needs to rest and when to train).

All quiet on the Ronaldo front for the last week or 2, isn't it? Does that mean they're thrashing out a deal with Madrid in private? Or Fergie came back, gave Ronaldo a clip round the ear, and told him he's with us next year? Or maybe they're upping Ron's wages to, what, 3/4 billion next year? :)

Dave! wrote: »
    Van Der Sar was given a dispensation to come back whenever he feels like it, on account of his age (and at his age, Fergie says, he knows when he needs to rest and when to train).

All quiet on the Ronaldo front for the last week or 2, isn't it? Does that mean they're thrashing out a deal with Madrid in private? Or Fergie came back, gave Ronaldo a clip round the ear, and told him he's with us next year? Or maybe they're upping Ron's wages to, what, 3/4 billion next year? :)
    latest word is that United are confident Ronaldo is staying for this season. Furthermore, there is talk that he will be offered a new deal, despite the hardline approach to no new deal the board had previosly taken. However, the talk is that he won't be offered a new deal straigt away, but early into the new season - and that the deal will include a new image rights deal with Nike which would effectively take his wages to 200k per week and tie him down til he is 29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

latest word is that United are confident Ronaldo is staying for this season. Furthermore, there is talk that he will be offered a new deal, despite the hardline approach to no new deal the board had previosly taken. However, the talk is that he won't be offered a new deal straigt away, but early into the new season - and that the deal will include a new image rights deal with Nike which would effectively take his wages to 200k per week and tie him down til he is 29.

Not a good road to go down in my opinion. Club and Ransom spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

200K A WEEK?!?!?!?!?!?

raped tbh.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    200K A WEEK?!?!?!?!?!?

raped tbh.

It wouldn't be the club paying it though. he would be on similar cash to what he is on now, and the wages would be bumped by a new image rights deal which the Glazers have been negotiating with Nike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

200K A WEEK?!?!?!?!?!?

raped tbh.

I'm telling you this now.

In five years time 200k will be the normal salary for someone like Ronaldo.

It was only what, fifteen years ago, when Roy Keane was a British Transfer Record at £3.75m, now there are players going for near £40m.

£3.75m wouldn't buy you a Championship Standard player these days.

It's the way football is going. Ronaldo's agent knows this. Manchester United know this, the Glazers know this, you know this.

200K A WEEK?!?!?!?!?!?

raped tbh.

At least you would know what you are getting.

There are some players liberally taking the píss at clubs, getting near to that on a match ratio.

Boggles wrote: »
    Not a good road to go down in my opinion. Club and Ransom spring to mind.

Whatever people think of his attitude and the fact that he's a little spoilt brat etc.
    if United were to repeat in the next two years what they have done in the last two i would be perfectly happy for the club to appease him and i think the glazers and Ferguson would be too. He'll never be my favourite player but with 42 goals last year i dont think anyone can argue his worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

200K A WEEK?!?!?!?!?!?

raped tbh.

Harry Kewell?!?!?!?!?!?

raped tbh

Liverpool fans have such short memories

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

200K A WEEK?!?!?!?!?!?

raped tbh.

Isn't that how much JarJar wants to join City ?

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Isn't that how much JarJar wants to join City ?

Yeah apartently everything has been agreed, the only stumbling block is his food allowance! :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Harry Kewell?!?!?!?!?!?

raped tbh

Liverpool fans have such short memories

:D

Game Set and Match :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well Ronaldo is crucial in terms on the field success which in turn brings in extra money through various ways. I would rather he gets some of that money than some of the board room men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Cristiano Ronaldo has met with the United medical team and they agreed with the Portuguese national team that he needs surgery. He will undergo surgery in the next few days on his ankle. -Sky Sports News

Wow. So he finished the league run in, in sensational form, won the champions league and played 4 games in Euro 2008, all on an ankle that needs surgery.

ALSO: Tauren said 200k a week INCLUDING image rights deal. Ronaldinho is on £430k a week with his current Barca deal and Nikes R10. Hardly raped i think you will find. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

I think it'll be worth it if it means he stays.at least the money won't be coming from united neccesarily.. lets face it no matter how much money we get for him we're not gonna be able to replace him.. so i really think he's worth it ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

I'm sure I read on boards somewhere a few weeks back that the nike deal was negotiated by one of the Glaziers for Ronaldo. I have no prob with him raking in the cash from a sponsor but if he gets another new deal from OT for an even higher basic wage then I think that is bloody stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Seens some news on bbc about the CR package(i hope that would shut him up)

A lot has happened in 24 hrs... It's seems SAF is on boards:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I'm sure I read on boards somewhere a few weeks back that the nike deal was negotiated by one of the Glaziers for Ronaldo. I have no prob with him raking in the cash from a sponsor but if he gets another new deal from OT for an even higher basic wage then I think that is bloody stupid.
    Yeah it was one of the Glazers that is involved in that becasue of the whole Ameican/Nike connection! Thing is it's for his own range so he is entitled to more, and because United are Nike as well it would mean that they'd more than likely sell the stuff in the club shops, so they'd have money coming in from that so he would be entitled to a share in that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

There were rumours of a similar deal with Sao Paolo after we signed Rincon from them (he never actually arrived at the club, not sure what happened there....)

It went somethin like he couldnt get a work permit then we loaned him back to Sao Paolo for a year before he went to Sporting as a makeweight in Ronaldos transfer

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Cristiano Ronaldo has met with the United medical team and they agreed with the Portuguese national team that he needs surgery. He will undergo surgery in the next few days on his ankle. -Sky Sports News

Wow. So he finished the league run in, in sensational form, won the champions league and played 4 games in Euro 2008, all on an ankle that needs surgery.

ALSO: Tauren said 200k a week INCLUDING image rights deal. Ronaldinho is on £430k a week with his current Barca deal and Nikes R10. Hardly raped i think you will find. :)

reports |I read this morning say no decision on ankle surgery has been made, and that they are seeking specialist advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

raped tbh.

I wish people wouldnt use that word.

reports |I read this morning say no decision on ankle surgery has been made, and that they are seeking specialist advice.

Maybe Ronaldo is perfectly fit and Ferguson was speaking euphemisticaly. You need to come back and explain yourself or you will need "Ankle Surgery"!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Not looking good. Huge blow if it does happen imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Trilla wrote: »
    I wish people wouldnt use that word.

why? bit close to the bone?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not looking good. Huge blow if it does happen imo.

Massive blow, the last time he went United totally capitulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

If CQ does decide to take the Portugal job who do you reckon we should get to replace him? Replace him from within the club, McClair? Phelan? Ryan? Ole? :) Or should we look outside the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Not quite as big for United as the Carlos story but it might make a few people feel better...

Messi = The new Ronaldo? what is it with these superstars today being mamas/papas boys?? :)

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3770170,00.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement