Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

no idea who we could get, but i think past experience has made it clear that we will have to get someone - Fergie needs a right hand man, when we haven't had one it has not gone well.

Can't think of anyone to replace him either - No one from within the club, and don't know anything about AMs at any other clubs. The fella Liverpool sacked last season is ment to be very good; i know there was a block on him joining an English club though - is he free to do so now, or has he already moved on to a new job?

Can't think of an up and coming young manager within England either, that we could go for - someone like Ince or Keane, but obviously neither of them are targets.

Hell, maybe we can give Cantona the job...:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 493 ✭✭Kildarered

Bryan Robson could do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Time to Go OldSkool!!!

58889.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd be annoyed if Quieroz left, almost surprised aswell to be honest. I think he needs to be offered the manager position after Fergie leaves, something I'd be happy to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Big blow regardin the number 2 leaving...on a number of accounts
    why? bit close to the bone?! :p

very funny :rolleyes: great thing to laugh about. And no I wont lighten up about it etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Kildarered wrote: »
    Bryan Robson could do it.

id defo +1 for robbo, profressional at all times!! :D

Trilla wrote: »
    very funny :rolleyes:

:D thanks!! i thaught so! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

PHB wrote: »
    I'd be annoyed if Quieroz left, almost surprised aswell to be honest. I think he needs to be offered the manager position after Fergie leaves, something I'd be happy to do.

Can't blame him if he did. If there is one job that would appear bigger to him than the ManU job, it would be his national job. It would be a blow to Utd though.

As for Messi, I'll eat my proverbial, if he moves in the next 3 seasons.

Regarding Robson: No he couldn't, not in my opinion anyway. We need to bring in someone with good tactical knowledge, and top quality training methods. Robbo has neither of these if his stints as manager are anything to go by.

If we were to look within the club, I have always been impressed with the style and methods of René Meulensteen. He is currently head of technical and skills development. Was previously in charge of the kids, and reserves, and had a breif stint with Bronby as a manager. Apparently he is well respected by the players, and internationally.

If CQ leaves its a disaster IMO.

He's the one responsible for the defence (last time he ame in and made our defence watertight then left and we were brutal at the back) and he's also a mentor for the young foreigners.

that said, bring back McLaren! we won the Treble with him as assistant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

PHB wrote: »

Isn't that the plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Peronsally I could completely understand if he did leave (that's not saying I would be happy or feel comfortable that Fergie would be without him as his number 2).

When he left United the first time, he went from assistant manager of Man United to being the manager of Real Madrid. I found that understandable and a chance that probably doesn't come by that often for number 2s at other clubs.

This time around, he's getting the chance to coach his nations football team. You have to have ambition and pride and from what I have seen in CQ is that he has both and since his post as manager of Real madrid, he's gained a lot more experience so he probably feels more confident about taking up such a position. He's not getting that much younger either and unless he gets told, you've got the next managers job at United, he's gotta think about himself for a wee minute all the same. If it was to be manager at a different club, then I would feel it's not worth it or else if it was a crap country, yeah still at United but Portugal are a bog team with potential to win some major trophies so would you really blame him.

It's funny how a while back, nobody wanted him to take over the helm of Man United and now as soon as there is a whisper of him being off, it's a different story.

Anyway, from me, I do hope he stays, at least until Fergie retires. Can't say who I'd like to be in charge at United next though as there's new up and coming managers all the time and some do it for 1 season and others manage to maintain a good run for a couple of seasons. Example, look at Sam Allardyce, touted as next England manager, gets a move to a bigger club and royally f**ks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I hope he stays and takes over after Fergie

Peronsally I could completely understand if he did leave (that's not saying I would be happy or feel comfortable that Fergie would be without him as his number 2).

When he left United the first time, he went from assistant manager of Man United to being the manager of Real Madrid. I found that understandable and a chance that probably doesn't come by that often for number 2s at other clubs.

This time around, he's getting the chance to coach his nations football team. You have to have ambition and pride and from what I have seen in CQ is that he has both and since his post as manager of Real madrid, he's gained a lot more experience so he probably feels more confident about taking up such a position. He's not getting that much younger either and unless he gets told, you've got the next managers job at United, he's gotta think about himself for a wee minute all the same. If it was to be manager at a different club, then I would feel it's not worth it or else if it was a crap country, yeah still at United but Portugal are a bog team with potential to win some major trophies so would you really blame him.

It's funny how a while back, nobody wanted him to take over the helm of Man United and now as soon as there is a whisper of him being off, it's a different story.

Anyway, from me, I do hope he stays, at least until Fergie retires. Can't say who I'd like to be in charge at United next though as there's new up and coming managers all the time and some do it for 1 season and others manage to maintain a good run for a couple of seasons. Example, look at Sam Allardyce, touted as next England manager, gets a move to a bigger club and royally f**ks up.

Agree ++
    I would have thought he was offered a sweet deal to go back to United. Sweet deal meaning SAF position when he retires but it seems that old geezer isn't retiring anytime soon so if he wants to move on it's only fair tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Ten Cate would be good.
    I would prefer that CQ didnt leave though, i would also be delighted to see him as our next manager.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Ten Cate would be good.
    I would prefer that CQ didnt leave though, i would also be delighted to see him as our next manager.

Don't know - seems to have a bit of an anger problem, i don't know if himself and Fergie would be the best of combinations. Also, he has already agreed to become manager of one of the Greek sides, can't remember which one though.

Honestly, the only people I can think of are the ex-Liverpool AM (though he might have a new job by now) or Rene, and Rene is a long shot too, and didn't do well with Bronby.

However, I am sure there are some great AMs around, we just don't heard much about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

At the moment CQ is in a very strong position to take over from SAF.

Lets say he leaves and takes the Portugal job. He will probably be given the two years for the world cup qualifiers and campaign. SAF could well retire in two years time.

Now would leaving Utd and managing Portugal for two years harm his chances of getting the Utd job, or improve his chances.

Obviously if Portugal fail to get to the World cup it wouldn't look good. But for theory sake lets say he does a steady/ok/average job (knockout rounds), not great (winning WC), and not terrible (qualifying for WC) but steady.

I think that would improve his chances to be honest.

For the record I think it would be a disaster if he left, Fergie definitely needs an assistant, and I have no idea who we could bring in.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

If CQ does decide to take the Portugal job who do you reckon we should get to replace him? Replace him from within the club, McClair? Phelan? Ryan? Ole? :) Or should we look outside the club?

I reckon if Querioz goes (don't think he will though)it will be Moyes from Everton. Moyes is p***ed off with the board there over transfer funds and him and Fergie are good mates since Moyes Preston days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Are you insane?

One of the best young managers in the EPL is going to leave his job to become a number 2?

Get a grip will you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tauren wrote: »
    Honestly, the only people I can think of are the ex-Liverpool AM (though he might have a new job by now)

He actually doesnt.

The 1st July was the earliest he could get a job from. May see him at Inter I'd imagine.

and his name is Pako Ayestaran.

profile.jpg

strange situation him leaving.

grahamo wrote: »
    I reckon if Querioz goes (don't think he will though)it will be Moyes from Everton. Moyes is p***ed off with the board there over transfer funds and him and Fergie are good mates since Moyes Preston days.
    I can't see there being any chance of Moyes leaving a manager role in a top 6 side to be an assistant manager. Even if he was pissed with the Everton board, and I have not heard much about it, he'd probably quit and wait for the next prem side to come along.

Also, Rooney and Moyes aren't on the best of terms, which would count against him regardless

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He actually doesnt.

The 1st July was the earliest he could get a job from. May see him at Inter I'd imagine.

and his name is Pako Ayestaran.

profile.jpg

Cheers Alan, what are your thoughts on him? Do you reckon he would be a good replacement for CQ (well, he'd be another guy whose name i'd never learn to spell!!)

I know you wouldn't want him joining us, and there has been no rumours to say that he would or is even being thought about should CQ leave, but he'd be one of the more obvious candidates, and you'd know a lot more about him then i would - i'd be interested to hear your opinion on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Sat Aug 16 12.45pm Sky – Arsenal v West Brom
    Sat Aug 16 5.15pm Setanta – Sunderland v Liverpool
    Sun Aug 17 1.30pm Sky – Chelsea v Portsmouth
    Sun Aug 17 4.00pm Sky – Man Utd v Newcastle
    Sat Aug 23 12.45pm Sky – Man City v West Ham
    Sat Aug 23 5.15pm Setanta – Fulham v Arsenal (Liverpool v Middlesbrough if blocked by police)
    Sun Aug 24 1.30pm Sky – Wigan v Chelsea
    Sun Aug 24 4.00pm Sky – Portsmouth v Man Utd
    Sat Aug 30 12.45pm Sky – West Ham v Blackburn
    Sat Aug 30 5.15pm Setanta – Everton v Portsmouth
    Sun Aug 31 1.30pm Setanta – Aston Villa v Liverpool
    Sun Aug 31 4.00pm Sky – Chelsea v Tottenham
    Sat Sep 13 12.45 Sky – Liverpool v Man Utd
    Sat Sep 13 5.15 Setanta – Man City v Chelsea
    Sun Sep 14 4.00pm Sky – Tottenham v Aston Villa
    Mon Sep 15 8.00pm Setanta – West Brom v West Ham
    Sat Sep 20 12.45pm Sky – Bolton v Arsenal
    Sat Sep 20 5.15pm Setanta – Sunderland v Middlesbrough (West Ham v Newcastle if blocked by police)
    Sun Sep 21 1.30pm Sky – West Brom v Aston Villa
    Sun Sep 21 4.00pm Sky – Chelsea v Man Utd
    Sat Sep 27 12.45pm Sky – Everton v Liverpool
    Sat Sep 27 5.15pm Setanta – Stoke v Chelsea
    Sun Sep 28 4.00pm Sky – Portsmouth v Tottenham
    Mon Sep 29 8.00pm Setanta – Fulham v West Ham
    Sat Oct 4 12.45pm Sky – West Ham v Bolton
    Sat Oct 4 5.15pm Setanta – Blackburn v Man Utd
    Sun Oct 5 1.30pm Sky – Everton v Newcastle
    Sun Oct 5 4.00pm Sky – Man City v Liverpool
    Sat Oct 18 12.45pm Sky – Arsenal v Everton
    Sat Oct 18 5.15pm Setanta – Middlesbrough v Chelsea
    Sun Oct 19 4.00pm Sky – Aston Villa v Portsmouth
    Mon Oct 20 8.00pm Setanta – Hull v West Ham
    Sat Oct 25 12.45pm Sky – Sunderland v Newcastle
    Sun Oct 26 12.00pm Setanta – Portsmouth v Fulham (Sunday as after UEFA cup game)
    Sun Oct 26 2.00pm Sky – Everton v Man Utd (West Ham v Arsenal if blocked by police)
    Sun Oct 26 4.10pm Sky – Chelsea v Liverpool
    Tue Oct 28 8.00pm Sky – Newcastle v West Brom
    Wed Oct 29 8.00pm Sky – Arsenal v Tottenham
    Sat Nov 1 12.45pm Sky – Tottenham v Liverpool
    Sat Nov 1 5.15pm Setanta – Stoke v Arsenal
    Sun Nov 2 4.00pm Sky – Newcastle v Aston Villa
    Mon Nov 3 8.00pm Setanta – Bolton v Man City
    Sat Nov 8 12.45pm Sky – Blackburn v Chelsea
    Sat Nov 8 5.15pm Setanta – Man City v Tottenham
    Sun Nov 9 1.30pm Sky – Sunderland v Portsmouth
    Sun Nov 9 4.00pm Sky – Arsenal v Man Utd
    Sat Nov 15 12.45pm Sky – Hull v Man City
    Sat Nov 15 5.15pm Setanta – Arsenal v Aston Villa
    Sun Nov 16 1.30pm Sky – Fulham v Tottenham
    Sun Nov 16 4.00pm Sky – West Brom v Chelsea
    Sat Nov 22 12.45pm Sky – Man City v Arsenal
    Sat Nov 22 5.15pm Setanta – Aston Villa v Man Utd
    Sun Nov 23 4.00pm Sky – Tottenham v Blackburn
    Mon Nov 24 8.00pm Setanta – Sunderland v West Ham
    Sat Nov 29 12.45pm Sky – Middlesbrough v Newcastle
    Sun Nov 30 1.30pm Setanta – Man City v Man Utd
    Sun Nov 30 4.00pm Sky – Chelsea v Arsenal
    Mon Dec 1 8.00pm Setanta – Tottenham v Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Sizzler wrote: »
    Sat Aug 16 12.45pm Sky – Arsenal v West Brom......

There all televised if you have the right setup! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

DesF wrote: »
    Are you insane?

One of the best young managers in the EPL is going to leave his job to become a number 2?

Get a grip will you.
    you should check out some anger management classes!

Sizzler wrote: »

Meh - goes completely contrary to every report we have heard regarding the Glazers, Gill and Fergie, and Ronaldo at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

So what actually happened to make him leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Cheers Alan, what are your thoughts on him? Do you reckon he would be a good replacement for CQ (well, he'd be another guy whose name i'd never learn to spell!!)

I know you wouldn't want him joining us, and there has been no rumours to say that he would or is even being thought about should CQ leave, but he'd be one of the more obvious candidates, and you'd know a lot more about him then i would - i'd be interested to hear your opinion on him.

Well you saw what happened last season to us when he left. A lot of people say that he was the bridge between Rafa and the players. Rafa is very impersonal with the players, they are cogs in a wheel to him and he couldnt give a ****e about them basically....this includes Gerrard/Carragher (strangely Alonso is the exception)

He took and organised all the training sessions at Melwood and was in control of fitness and things like that, people criticising "Rafas Rotation"(TM SkySports) are actually more criticising Pako, basically he was the massive fan of keeping players fresh (although obviously Rafa is too). They were together since one of Rafas early jobs (Mallorca?) and then obviously had great success at valencia and with us this far.

The problem came with reports of him being headhunted for managers jobs in Spain and top assistant/coach jobs in the UK (incl Chelsea and yourselves iirc), Rafa started to think that Pako was open to these jobs and openingly courting them almost.

It all boiled over afaik when we drew with Chelsea at the start of last season, after the speculation linking Pako to a a move to Chelsea, Pako laughing,joking and even embracing Jose after us losing 2 points the way we did (Styles stupid peno invl.Malouda and Finnan) was breaking point for Rafa. The two had a massive row and Pako left the club on gardening leave until July.

(he was fully paid by the club in order to stop him taking another job up until this time due to the sensitive info he was privy to re:tactics,targets etc etc)

He was Rafas best friend and as such i couldn't ever see him taking a job with Utd, although they are no longer on speaking terms afaik so stranger things have happened.

My feelings on him would be that he is an excellent fitness and training coach who is available, he was a big loss to us but not an insurmountable one. the major downside of his leaving was more to do with player/rafa relations i would imagine, something that Little Sammy Lee is sure to rectify. I would imagine he would be a good replacement for CQ if he does leave though.

he would probably be more interested in moving to his mate Jose or back to Spain to try his hand a number 1 job tbh.

Well you saw what happened last season to us when he left. A lot of people say that he was the bridge between Rafa and the players. Rafa is very impersonal with the players, they are cogs in a wheel to him and he couldnt give a ****e about them basically....this includes Gerrard/Carragher (strangely Alonso is the exception)

He took and organised all the training sessions at Melwood and was in control of fitness and things like that, people criticising "Rafas Rotation"(TM SkySports) are actually more criticising Pako, basically he was the massive fan of keeping players fresh (although obviously Rafa is too). They were together since one of Rafas early jobs (Mallorca?) and then obviously had great success at valencia and with us this far.

The problem came with reports of him being headhunted for managers jobs in Spain and top assistant/coach jobs in the UK (incl Chelsea and yourselves iirc), Rafa started to think that Pako was open to these jobs and openingly courting them almost.

It all boiled over afaik when we drew with Chelsea at the start of last season, after the speculation linking Pako to a a move to Chelsea, Pako laughing,joking and even embracing Jose after us losing 2 points the way we did (Styles stupid peno invl.Malouda and Finnan) was breaking point for Rafa. The two had a massive row and Pako left the club on gardening leave until July.

(he was fully paid by the club in order to stop him taking another job up until this time due to the sensitive info he was privy to re:tactics,targets etc etc)

He was Rafas best friend and as such i couldn't ever see him taking a job with Utd, although they are no longer on speaking terms afaik so stranger things have happened.

My feelings on him would be that he is an excellent fitness and training coach who is available, he was a big loss to us but not an insurmountable one. the major downside of his leaving was more to do with player/rafa relations i would imagine, something that Little Sammy Lee is sure to rectify. I would imagine he would be a good replacement for CQ if he does leave though.

he would probably be more interested in moving to his mate Jose or back to Spain to try his hand a number 1 job tbh.
    with regards fitness and training input - sounds very much like Carlos Q, could be a good option for United. Then again, I know nothing about people in this role at other clubs, so there may, or may not, be better options available.

Cheers Alan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

sprinkles wrote: »
    you should check out some anger management classes!

Why? He had every right to go mad at that post. It was such a stupid post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Seems to be a lot of off topic posts over the last couple of pages,can we keep it on topic please.Thank You.

Meh - goes completely contrary to every report we have heard regarding the Glazers, Gill and Fergie, and Ronaldo at this point.

yeah exactly, and if we take a bit out....
    Madrid-based newspaper AS reports that....

I stopped reading there!!

are you reading the same thread? Lots of Off-Topic? I can hardly find any - 99% of posts on the last few pages have either been related to Ronaldo or Carlos possibly leaving....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sky sports news ,

Ronaldo could miss start of season , Ankle op in the next day or two.

So thats that . Rumour mill will have to find new dead horse to flog.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Sky sports news ,

Ronaldo could miss start of season , Ankle op in the next day or two.

So thats that . Rumour mill will have to find new dead horse to flog.
    carefull now.... don't go off topic with that kinda stuff :D

If he needs an ankle op he should get one, i don't think it makes any difference really. It would only change things if he was to rehab in portugal or spain - fact is he will rehab at Carrington.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Dub13 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of off topic posts over the last couple of pages,can we keep it on topic please.Thank You.
    How can we possibly go off topic in a Man United Discussion thread, surely we can discuss anything Man United related.

I should really Roll eyes but I cant be bovvvvered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

carefull now.... don't go off topic with that kinda stuff :D

If he needs an ankle op he should get one, i don't think it makes any difference really. It would only change things if he was to rehab in portugal or spain - fact is he will rehab at Carrington.

Really no difference , I would not like to see united keep interest in any players who has to have op or is not 100% fit (well at least be able to past a medical ) Just my to cent .

Ps how is talking about a utd player and the rumour mill in the Man utd tranfer rumours/discussion theard off topic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Some examples or it didn't happen :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Sorry folks that comment was meant for a different thread not even a soccer one,I had two windows open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Sorry folks that comment was meant for a different thread not even a soccer one,I had two windows open.
    Fair play Dub lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol, nice dodge there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

If Queiroz does leave I reckon it'll be an internal promotion to the No2 spot with Mike Phelan stepping up.

DesF wrote: »
    Are you insane?

Get a grip will you.

In a heartbeat if he was assured the job in 3 years.

Not a bad proposition actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Boggles wrote: »
    In a heartbeat if he was assured the job in 3 years.

Not a bad proposition actually.
    Not a hope of Moyes going to us to be a number 2. If he keeps progressing with Everton the way he is going he could well be a contender to take over from Fergie in three years anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not a hope of Moyes going to us to be a number 2. If he keeps progressing with Everton the way he is going he could well be a contender to take over from Fergie in three years anyways.

True

It would be the more credible way of getting the job to

Unearthly wrote: »
    True

It would be the more credible way of getting the job to

Roy Keane #2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Ok, the chances of that are minimal I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

kmart6 wrote: »
    Ok, the chances of that are minimal I'd say!
    Possibly, but if he gets Everton into the Champions League and wins a cup in the next three years he will certaintly be in with a shout. Just saying there is no way he would even be tempted to leave Everton to be Fergies number 2 as Everton are progressing along nicely imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well no chance of him going as a No.2 anyway, would be a dreadful career move!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement