Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well no chance of him going as a No.2 anyway, would be a dreadful career move!
    Exactly, thats my point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I know,and I was pointing out how it's mine too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lads ye are all over the shop. no PL manager from the top half of the table, and most from the bottom would take the Utd assistant job, its a step down, not up.

and Roy already earns as much as SAF!:eek:

Arsene Wenger (Arsenal) £4.5m
    Kevin Keegan (Newcastle) £4m
    Alex Ferguson (Man Utd) £3m
    Harry Redknapp (Portsmouth) £3m
    Avram Grant (Chelsea) £3m
    Roy Keane (Sunderland) £3m
    Rafael Benitez (Liverpool) £2.5m
    David Moyes (Everton) £2.5m

Neither of us said that someone like Moyes would!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    lads ye are all over the shop.

Not all of us. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

lads ye are all over the shop. no PL manager from the top half of the table, and most from the bottom would take the Utd assistant job, its a step down, not up.

and Roy already earns as much as SAF!:eek:

Arsene Wenger (Arsenal) £4.5m
    Kevin Keegan (Newcastle) £4m
    Alex Ferguson (Man Utd) £3m
    Harry Redknapp (Portsmouth) £3m
    Avram Grant (Chelsea) £3m
    Roy Keane (Sunderland) £3m
    Rafael Benitez (Liverpool) £2.5m
    David Moyes (Everton) £2.5m

Isn't it amazing how Arsenal can pay 4.5million pa for Arsene Wenger but seem to get players for free/next to nothing?

I would have expected SAF to be on more tbh
    And for RK, an assistant coach position which may lead to a managerial post in one of the biggest clubs in the world should be a bonus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Isn't it amazing how Arsenal can pay 4.5million pa for Arsene Wenger but seem to get players for free/next to nothing?

I would have expected SAF to be on more tbh
    And for RK, an assistant coach position which may lead to a managerial post in one of the biggest clubs in the world should be a bonus?

but, if he were to be seriously considered for that position, he's probably better off getting experience in full management first, rather then taking a step down to being number 2 and then shunted into one of the biggest jobs in the world. IMO where he is is excellent experience to work on his shortcomings before moving onto a bigger job (assuming he proves himself). Could, in a few years, join up as number 2 for, say, 6 months or so as a precursor to taking over alright, but i just couldn't see it happening right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Fuuck the lot of yiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

hunter164 wrote: »
    Fuuck the lot of yiz.

?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

grahamo wrote: »
    I reckon if Querioz goes (don't think he will though)it will be Moyes from Everton. Moyes is p***ed off with the board there over transfer funds and him and Fergie are good mates since Moyes Preston days.
    The award for stupidest post of the day goes too............

i lol'd at this.

Typical silly united supporter :rolleyes:

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

hunter164 wrote:
    Fuuck the lot of yiz.

How Old are you? 13/14???
    chdpoker wrote: »

Here we go generalizing again. Please don’t do this I like boards...

i lol'd at this.

Yeah typical United supporter alright, did you not bother reading any of the posts after that one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

i lol'd at this.

Think about it, its not that silly.
    The Everton boss was very nearly offered the role of Ferguson's number two when he was Preston boss before the appointment of Carlos Quieroz first time round. His lack of 'Europeanness' counted against him on that occasion. However, he's achieved wonders with a limited Everton squad. It's a big jump from Everton to Manchester United though and Moyes would represent a huge gamble for the board.
    Alex Ferguson doesn't take on big names as his no. 2 He takes on proven football men with ambition. As I said before I don't think Querioz will go but if he did Moyes would be a contender.
    lets face it how many of you had heard of Queiroz or McClaren before they went to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

i lol'd at this.

Oh, a nouveau riche Chelsea fan looking down his nose at others!:rolleyes:

Not a chance in hell Moyes would even consider it and I think that himself and Fergie are too similar personality-wise for it to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Everton boss was very nearly offered the role of Ferguson's number two when he was Preston boss before the appointment of Carlos Quieroz first time round. His lack of 'Europeanness' counted against him on that occasion. However, he's achieved wonders with a limited Everton squad. It's a big jump from Everton to Manchester United though and Moyes would represent a huge gamble for the board.
    Alex Ferguson doesn't take on big names as his no. 2 He takes on proven football men with ambition.
    lets face it how many of you had heard of Queiroz or McClaren before they went to United.
    Dude, you still on about this.

It isn't going to happen.

If It does, I'll send transfer fifty quid to a bank account of your choice.

Alex Ferguson doesn't take on big names as his no. 2 He takes on proven football men with ambition. As I said before I don't think Querioz will go but if he did Moyes would be a contender.

nonsense.

Moyes going form Everton, a team playing in Europe, and doing well well, to a number 2 job is a step down. a big one.

add into the fact that your star player and Moyes despise eachother and have recently been in court battling it out----it makes the idea of it ridiculous to say the least.

It would be a total step backwards for Moyes to leave Everton to become Fergies right hand man. I think you are being very naive to think that just because United come calling that Moyes would drop everything and come running!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Think about it. It's ludicrous. He's currently No.1 in a top 8 team, not that far off from catching Liverpool in 4th spot. Why, in heavens name would he sit beside Fergie for 3 years as a number 2? It's never going to happen. Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

This has to be a windup, honestly. Personally I think they should take in the double act of Stan and Sir Bobby as joint assistant managers with a view to taking over eventually. Its more likely and a lot cheaper than what Moyes is on or maybe he'll be willing to take a big pay cut as well for the honour ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,712 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Has Moyes signed an extention to his contract? He is also on record as being majorly píssed off about transfer funds and his new contract hinged on how much he was getting to spend this summer. Also he wanted that Spiderman fella that joined City during the week.

He might not join United as a number 2, but he might not be Everton manager for much longer either.

As for the United number 2 spot, it is alot more prestigious than people here are letting on, our current number 2 has already managed the biggest club in the world and if it is to believed being offered to manage a top 10 international team.

So Moyes as Everton manager probably no chance, Moyes unemployed high chance, IMO.

• Advertisement

Moyes no longer being Everton manager is OT to this thread unless he is being discussed as a possible replacement for CQ should he leave.

In which case i would like to put forward Arsene Wenger and Rafa Benitez as other potential number 2's.

Picture the scene;
    SAF: Wayne I'd like you to meet your new assistant manager.
    MOYES: Wayne you lying little ****ing troll
    SAF: oops do you two not like eachother?
    WAYNE: emmm boss, heres my transfer request.
    GILL: by the way alex, your assistant earns as much as you do.

In which case i would like to put forward Arsene Wenger and Rafa Benitez as other potential number 2's.

Maybe Wenger, not the boring Spaniard thou.
    Moyes no longer being Everton manager is OT to this thread unless he is being discussed as a possible replacement for CQ should he leave.

Am...That's what is being discussed.:rolleyes:

How come were still talking bout Moyes becoming No.2?!:confused: There's no sign of CQ leaving so it seems kinda pointless, and he's never going to take a step back in his career unless he's stuck!

There's no sign of CQ leaving so it seems kinda pointless,

Why, it has been reported he is in Lisbon discussing it??
    and he's never going to take a step back in his career unless he's stuck!

That is what is being discussed.

If he leaves Everton, which is a possibility (although slim) if it is to believed he is not happy with his transfer kitty.

Also Smith recommended him to Kenwright as his replacement, where else has Smith worked? United number 2.

It's not that major a step back if a manager is unemployed, it is a huge opportunity and stepping stone to greater things.

Boggles wrote: »

As for the United number 2 spot, it is alot more prestigious than people here are letting on, our current number 2 has already managed the biggest club in the world and if it is to believed being offered to manage a top 10 international team.

I would say No 2 at Old Trafford is less prestigious than being a manager of a premiership club bar a few relegation also rans. Queiroz left the unemployment queue to come back.

Its more likely to be a relative unknown as is the case with most No 2s in football (if he does leave) not a current high profile manager.

Jesus H Christ.

IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

No matter how you dress it up, leaving a top 6 premierleague club to become a number 2 ANYWHERE is a step down.

DesF wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ.

No matter how you dress it up, leaving a top 6 premierleague club to become a number 2 ANYWHERE is a step down.

Walter Smith did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭SteM

It's much more likely that someone like Mike Phelan will get the job if it's available. He knows the structure of the club already and seems to be highly regarded at OT.

Walter Smith did it.

As a favour I'd say.

Boggles.

Do you HONESTLY think David Moyes would become a number two, at this stage of his career?

If you think it has any possibility of it happening, you are a delusional fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭SteM

Walter Smith did it.

Smith was out of work when he arrived at United wasn't he? I'm fairly sure he didn't give up a job to become Fergie's no 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Walter Smith did it.
    no he didn't. Everton placed in the lower half of the league 3 years running with Smith in charge, and there was a 2 year gap between being sacked and becoming United number 2, as a favour to SAF for only a few months.

Completely different.

Walter Smith did it.

not to but my faith totally in wiki but he also joined from the unemployment queue. I'd go along with the Mike Phelan idea.

The Everton board finally ran out of patience with Smith and he was sacked in March 2002 with Everton in real danger of relegation. The current manager, David Moyes, was his replacement and delivered Everton to a safe finish in fifteenth place.[1] In March 2004, Smith returned to football when he had a short spell as assistant manager to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United at the tail end of the 2003/2004 season.

So there's Boggles' theory up in the air.

Boggles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jaykay74 wrote: »
    not to but my faith totally in wiki but he also joined from the unemployment queue. I'd go along with the Mike Phelan idea.

The Everton board finally ran out of patience with Smith and he was sacked in March 2002 with Everton in real danger of relegation. The current manager, David Moyes, was his replacement and delivered Everton to a safe finish in fifteenth place.[1] In March 2004, Smith returned to football when he had a short spell as assistant manager to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United at the tail end of the 2003/2004 season.
    i'd be against Phelan, he has had the job on a couple of occasions now, and he hasn't appeared to do a very good job of it. I reckon we'll need to bring in someone with European experience, someone to offer a european counter-point to Fergies style.

Do you HONESTLY think David Moyes would become a number two, at this stage of his career?

No that's why I said it was very slim chance, but if Moyes quits Everton because a lack of transfer funds. Who does he join, none of the top 4, Backburn, Bolton? They have no money. I can't see him getting one of the top jobs in Spain or Italy.

My original point was taking the Number 2 job at United with assurance of being number 1 in 2-3 years is not a step back.

If you think it has any possibility of it happening, you are a delusional fool.

Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Walter Smith did it.

Lol....that's the level of comment that I expect from you. He didn't. Simple as.

Hobart wrote: »
    Lol....that's the level of comment that I expect from you. He didn't. Simple as.

He Left Everton and Joined United, didn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Copied and Pasted for those who have the site blocked in work....

Ryan Giggs joined up with his team-mates - minus the Euro 2008 contingent - back at Carrington for the start of a rigorous regime ahead of the 2008/09 campaign.

The Welshman enjoyed a six-week rest after last season's triumphant exploits, including a relaxing break with his family in Portugal. But he admits that's soon forgotten once the squad's punishing pre-season schedule begins.

"Obviously last season ended brilliantly for the team and for myself, and it’s good to be back, but I’m not really looking forward to pre-season training," he told ManUtd.com.

"Wednesday was just testing to see where your fitness is at. Thursday is another treadmill fitness test which will be quite hard, and that will start to build things up. I’m not really looking forward to it, but you’ve just got to get through it haven’t you?

"Long distance running gets easier as you get older, I think, it’s just the quicker stuff that is quite hard. But you’ve done it all before and just use your experience to get through it."

The Reds have a hectic schedule of matches over the coming few weeks. A United XI will travel to Aberdeen on 12 July, before the first team squad head to South Africa for the Vodacom Challenge. The trip will encompass three matches against local sides Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates (United will play one of them twice).

On their way home to Manchester, the squad will stop off in Nigeria on 27 July where they will face Harry Redknapp's Portsmouth, whom they will also be up against at Wembley in the Community Shield on 10 August.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's testimonial clash with Espanyol at Old Trafford takes place on 2 August and that will be followed by two more friendlies - first up a trip to London Road to take on Sir Alex's son Darren and his Peterborough side. The Reds then entertain Juventus at OT on 6 August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

thats not what was said and you know it

Des said:
    Jesus H Christ.

and you replied
    Walter Smith did it.

which is wrong

walter smith did not leave a top six club.

and he didnt leave with the intention of becoming uniteds no 2.

he was sacked and 2 YEARS LATER he joined as united's number 2

and you know it, so lets put it to bed now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boggles View Post
    thats not what was said and you know it

Des said:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DesF View Post
    Jesus H Christ.

and you replied

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boggles View Post
    Walter Smith did it.
    which is wrong

walter smith did not leave a top six club.

and he didnt leave with the intention of becoming uniteds no 2.

he was sacked and 2 YEARS LATER he joined as united's number 2

event is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

I think I speak for alot when I say this:

WHO CARES!!

CQ leaves then we worry, rather than bicker over this and let other fans come on here and have a go .

event wrote: »

Agree.

One point thou. Smith did go from Unemployed to stint at no.2 at United to International manager to UEFA cup finalists with Rangers.

That reminds me. Kryogen if your reading this, your missing nothing Buddy! :D

Anyone got trips booked to OT this season.? Champions League match for me is a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Yeah would aim for a CL match. How easy are the tickets to come by? is the best bet to go with a package deal?

sprinkles wrote: »
    Yeah would aim for a CL match. How easy are the tickets to come by? is the best bet to go with a package deal?

No idea, never been to CL match, anytime I have gone it has been season ticket holders booklets I used.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone got trips booked to OT this season.? Champions League match for me is a priority.

Looks like I'll be going to the Newcastle game in August. My brother's a Magpies fan so it should make for a very interesting match! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

sprinkles wrote: »

homerjay2005 has 2 season tickets for this season. If you ask him nicely on the soccer tickets and travel thread he might sort you out with CL tickets

An Fhile wrote: »
    Looks like I'll be going to the Newcastle game in August. My brother's a Magpies fan so it should make for a very interesting match! :)

Would be nice if it were a repeat of last season, nice for you not your brother. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

Would be nice if it were a repeat of last season

Could be a tough one this year with "Spiderman" in their team. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I have bought from these guys in the past:

http://www.abbeytravel.ie/sports_soccer_details.php?event_group=Man%20United

and these:

http://www.whartonstravel.com/showavailabletours.php?cat=c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b&scat=6512bd43d9caa6e02c990b0a82652dca

They are dear but availability is good. Even for the knockout stages of the CL.

The bus is a pain. A flight into manchester and watch the game and leave would be best. The hotels on these tours are like faulty towers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement