Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Ah yes, when in doubt throw a few honours at him. Should he throw the 5 times European champs thing at us, let's be ready with our double success. Moo ha ha :D

Oh and do ya just remember his comback penalty against the Pool. Happy days indeed. Long live the King!! In fact, in honour of these rumours, I'm editing my signiature...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ok apologies, Cantona would be an excellent choice, just give him SAFs job straight away sure, the genius that he is :rolleyes:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ok apologies, Cantona would be an excellent choice, just give him SAFs job straight away sure, the genius that he is :rolleyes:

Glad you've seen sense at last. Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

nah - not straight away - he could be the next French manager though, they need a return to normality...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I don't think making him the French manager would be restoring things to normality!

Well I doubt it would makes things any worse tbh

kmart6 wrote: »
    I don't think making him the French manager would be restoring things to normality!
    i was being ironical....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

i think ole will be the next assistant. Maybe not this time round but deffo the time after that. He's been thrown in as reserve or youth manager - shows what they think he can do i guess. If he does well then he will be the next assistant without doubt.

PS i hope cantona does come back to the club. He'd instil some passion into the players and has the basic footballing intelligence to develop and improve his knowledge. It depends on how open he is to take on peoples opinions and how eager he is to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Seems like CQ will be gone by the end of the week :( Can't deny the lad the opportunity tho. Choccy is going to slot in as SAF's assistant ? Unless SAF goes out and poaches Walter Smith lol

Huntelaar saying all the right things today too in the press, I would love to see him at Utd :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Sizzler wrote: »
    Seems like CQ will be gone by the end of the week :( Can't deny the lad the opportunity tho. Choccy is going to slot in as SAF's assistant ? Unless SAF goes out and poaches Walter Smith lol

Huntelaar saying all the right things today too in the press, I would love to see him at Utd :D

he's doing a ronaldo on it :) Berb is starting to look unlikely unless huntelaar interest is to get berb's price down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,712 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Queiroz looks like he is definitely off alright. Looks like United only have to agree compensation with the Portuguese FA. It will be a big blow, himself and Ferguson struck up a great relationship.

On the off chance he does stay and takes over from Fergie in 3 years, he will be 58, not a long term replacement by any means. So maybe it isn't too significant to the naming of the next United manager.

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring 3 years early and say Keane next United manager 2011 - 2036. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Boggles wrote: »
    Queiroz looks like he is definitely off alright. Looks like United only have to agree compensation with the Portuguese FA. It will be a big blow, himself and Ferguson struck up a great relationship.

On the off chance he does stay and takes over from Fergie in 3 years, he will be 58, not a long term replacement by any means. So maybe it isn't too significant to the naming of the next United manager.

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring 3 years early and say Keane next United manager 2011 - 2036. ;)

I dont think we can really deny him the chance at the national team. He has done a fantastic job for United and in particular has made our back four one of the meanest in europe. Choccy seems a good choice. Its a pity we didnt get in and get McClaren again before he headed off to twente.

I just can't see McClair as a proper Number 2; i'll be very worried about next season if he is the Number 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ah i think mclair would be good, he has been faithful to united for a good while now and under SAF he could be really good!

i really want huntelaar in a utd shirt! come on, make some moves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

something rather strange going on in the ronaldo saga

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3788328,00.html

"Calderon announced at the weekend that he expected Ronaldo to stay at Old Trafford next season, suggesting a move was off, however he has now indicated a belief that Real will agree a deal.

When asked if he would put money on Ronaldo joining Real, Calderon - who will meet United chief executive David Gill at the European Club Association summit in Switzerland on Monday - told The Sun: "Bet. I would bet."

doesn't look good at the minute :(

edit: with Queiroz looking like leaving it's one less reason for ron to stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Big loss for United if CQ goes. He's a quality assistant. I think people often underrate the roles they play at the club, and with Fergie not getting any younger having a guy he can trust to take care of things he doesn't have the time for will be a big loss.

Am I wrong in assuming that CQ has a pretty substantial input into tactics? Not suer how anyone could know that but I thought I read it somewhere before...

I wouldn't be surprised to hear CQ had a huge say in tactics. Also, I think players like Ronnie, Anderson and Nani will miss him more than most given that he spoke their language and was generally perceived to be a father figure to these guys. Imagine Choccy trying to sit down and have a heart to heart - they'd need a translator :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

CQ apparently was running the club for quite some time. He really does an awful awful awful lot of work, and losing him will be a huge huge loss.

• Advertisement

Anyone who cant see CQ's influence on the way we play is blind! Since he came in we adapted the 4-4-2 winger type attacking football to include a lot more movement and interchanging from the front men and wingers. We also have a much sturdier defence when he;s around. Case in point what happended last time he was here, came in, shored up a porous defence, left and we fell apart.... He's very tactically aware and himslef and SAF is IMO the best managerial partnership we've ever had.

Plus he's had a huge influence in the development of the likes of Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson etc.

Ill be gutted if he goes.

you are bang on neil! it has the potential to be a crippling blow if he goes, now i know its a great opportunity for him with the portugal job, but still i really dont want him to go!

looks like CQ is definatley gone:

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/soccer/queiroz-set-to-leave-man-utd-for-portugal-1428931.html
    Monday July 07 2008

Manchester United assistant manager Carlos Queiroz looks set to leave the club and take over as manager of the Portugal national side.

The former Real Madrid boss was in Lisbon yesterday to discuss the move with the Portuguese Football Federation.

Speaking afterwards, he said the matter needed to be resolved between the federation and Manchester United.

However, reports this morning say United are already looking for a new assistant manager, with academy boss Brian McClair identified as the leading contender.

however in somewhat better news:
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/soccer/ronaldo-looking-more-likely-to-stay-at-man-utd-1428932.html
    Monday July 07 2008

Cristiano Ronaldo looks increasingly likely to be staying at Manchester United for at least one more season.

The Portuguese winger has been repeatedly linked with a move to Real Madrid this summer.

However, the president of the Spanish club, Ramon Calderon, has effectively admitted defeat in his efforts to snap up the player.

"As it is now . . . Cristiano Ronaldo will continue at Manchester next year," he is quoted as saying this morning.

"At the moment, that's the most likely scenario. They don't want to sell, so we can't do anything."

pyure wrote: »
    something rather strange going on in the ronaldo saga

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3788328,00.html

"Calderon announced at the weekend that he expected Ronaldo to stay at Old Trafford next season, suggesting a move was off, however he has now indicated a belief that Real will agree a deal.

When asked if he would put money on Ronaldo joining Real, Calderon - who will meet United chief executive David Gill at the European Club Association summit in Switzerland on Monday - told The Sun: "Bet. I would bet."

doesn't look good at the minute :(

edit: with Queiroz looking like leaving it's one less reason for ron to stay
    Depends on the context.

Will Ronaldo be a United player next season? Yeah, most likely at this point.

So what Calderon says makes sense.

Will Ronaldo sign for Real at some point? Yeah, definitely, imo.

So what Calderon said still makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

tbh if it was between keeping Quieroz and Ronaldo, it'd be Quieroz every time for me.

Losing both would certainly suck! :(

All the best to CQ if he does indeed leave.

Dave! wrote: »
    tbh if it was between keeping Quieroz and Ronaldo, it'd be Quieroz every time for me.

Losing both would certainly suck! :(

All the best to CQ if he does indeed leave.

+ 1 CQ is more important to us than Ronaldo IMO. i dont think we can replace CQ whereas i think with the money we would get for CR we could buy players and adapt our system and continue tio be competitive at the highest level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Tauren wrote: »
    Depends on the context.

Will Ronaldo be a United player next season? Yeah, most likely at this point.

So what Calderon says makes sense.

Will Ronaldo sign for Real at some point? Yeah, definitely, imo.

So what Calderon said still makes sense.

I wonder what way the fans will greet him, if he does stay? Will he be as welcome at OT after his (very) public courting of RM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hobart wrote: »
    I wonder what way the fans will greet him, if he does stay? Will he be as welcome at OT after his (very) public courting of RM?

He shouldn't be, that's for sure.

The real United fans will let him know.

Somehow, I can't see Viva Ronaldo getting aired much this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Hobart wrote: »

Fans are fickle - look at the pool fans and Gerrard

can't see him getting a great reception. I reckon he will get the same type of reception that Rio got, and will have to work as hard to get the fans back on side as Rio did. Rio only really got the fans back thanks to his performances and commitment last season.

kida wrote: »

100% totally different situation. And you know know it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He shouldn't get a good reception at all.

Any player who shows that amount of disloyalty to their club should be abused from the word go this season until the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If he starts banging in the goals again then the fans will soon be behind him again tbh

If he shows some remorse then it'll be viva Ronaldo once again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

100% totally different situation. And you know know it.
    How is it a different situation, sure Ronaldo is an A$$ Clown, but Stevie G courted Chelsea aswell, if I mis informed, explain Al?

SantryRed wrote: »
    Any player who shows that amount of disloyalty to their club should be abused from the word go this season until the end.

Er, no.

No player should be abused from the stands while wearing the jersey. No exceptions. It undermines the whole team.

rumours going round at the moment imply Ronaldo will have as much trouble getting the players back on side as he will the fans. Rightfully so, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

DesF wrote: »
    Er, no.

No player should be abused from the stands while wearing the jersey. No exceptions. It undermines the whole team.

He obviously doesn't want to wear the jersey.

If a player of the club I support did that I wouldn't be happy at all, and I'd let him know.

SantryRed wrote: »
    He obviously doesn't want to wear the jersey.

If a player of the club I support did that I wouldn't be happy at all, and I'd let him know.

During the match, thus undermining his, and the other players' performances?

Really?

Sure, after the game maybe, but not while the game is going on.

Here, every player at every club is there for the money anyway, they are all the same (spart from maybe the lads from around the locality who grew up supporting the club). You reckon players like Edwin Van Der Sar is at United for anything other than money? You think the jersey/crest means a lot to him? Think again.

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    How is it a different situation, sure Ronaldo is an A$$ Clown, but Stevie G courted Chelsea aswell, if I mis informed, explain Al?

Apart from the fact that Gerrard, may have thought that he would have more of a chance at winning things at Chelsea than Liverpool, whereas Ronaldo is going to inflate his own ego.

Also Gerrard changed his mind, he wanted to stay, of his own accord. Utd are refusing to sell Ronaldo, he still wants to leave.

the whole situation is just totally different.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Also Gerrard changed his mind, he wanted to stay, of his own accord.

I thought it was more to do with the death threats he is alleged to have gotten.

ha ha ha, you have got to be taking the piss?

no it was nothing to do with that in the slightest, stop reading trashy newspapers please. they rot your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

ha ha ha, you have got to be taking the piss?

no it was nothing to do with that in the slightest, stop reading trashy newspapers please. they rot your mind.

And you have absolute prove of that have you. Remember, you were also the one who tried to convince us all on here that there were not fans outside Anfield burning his Jersey at the time too.

Get over yourself. Gerrard was an absolute prick at the time just like Ronaldo is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I thought it was more to do with the death threats he is alleged to have gotten.

I think it was more the fear of his aul fellas size 9's :D

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-16871939-details/Why+Gerrard+did+not+sign+for+Chelsea/article.do

I dont think there was any doubt he was about to leave Liverpool at one stage.

ok, apologies, according to Steven Gerrard, death threats were not the reason he stayed.

And it was a FAN, singular, that burnt his jersey on SSN.

i agree he acted the goat at the time, but about as much as Rick Parry did, i dont blame him entirely for the situation.

but again, the situation with Ronaldo is not comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If you want to discuss the Steven Gerrard transfer, I recommend you all start a new thread. Please make no more posts about it in this thread.

---

I'd say Ronaldo will be an interesting case.

He'll still get Old Trafford singing after him. I'd imagine the songs he'll get in the away support will be much much much much less vocal, and most of the players when they talk about the fans talk about the away fans. I've no doubt for a while he will be boo'd, especially in pre-season friendlies if he's there, just as Rio was.

Personally, I will only ever sing his song if he scores or something, and to be honest, even then, I'd be wary about it. I think whenever he scores I'll sing the song of the person who got the assist.
    I have no problems with people wanting to leave the club. I have problems with how he's gone about it. It's been disrespectful.

kida wrote: »
    PHB wrote: »
    If you want to discuss the Steven Gerrard transfer, I recommend you all start a new thread. Please make no more posts about it in this thread.

good work PHB :)

if they aint talking ****e about him, i wont have to defend him :cool:

He'll still get Old Trafford singing after him. I'd imagine the songs he'll get in the away support will be much much much much less vocal, and most of the players when they talk about the fans talk about the away fans. I've no doubt for a while he will be boo'd, especially in pre-season friendlies if he's there, just as Rio was.

Personally, I will only ever sing his song if he scores or something, and to be honest, even then, I'd be wary about it. I think whenever he scores I'll sing the song of the person who got the assist.
    I have no problems with people wanting to leave the club. I have problems with how he's gone about it. It's been disrespectful.

I wont sing about him ever again. I'll miss "Viva Ronaldo" though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

This is absolutely hilarious :)
    Calderon feels United are being too stubborn and insists he would welcome the chance to get involved in such a unique transfer if the roles were reversed.

He told AS: "I think that, first of all, it's the desire of the player (to join Real), but, of course, Manchester shouldn't be angry and they should open up their stance.

"We can't be blamed if nearly every player wants to come to Real Madrid. If I was Manchester United I'd be happy and proud to be able to negotiate such a transfer for one of my players.

"Everything would be a lot easier if United realised that they could pull off the transfer of the century."

yes, as domestic and european champions we should be proud to sell our star player to real, I've never thought about it like that before, but now it all makes sense!

I wont sing about him ever again. I'll miss "Viva Ronaldo" though :(

ya see neil you say that now, but if he comes out next season, has a couple of absolute blinders and is scorin goals for fun you will probably not be able to help yourself!

my worry is that if (and when) the fans do boo him, he'll go into his petulant stroppy mood and just not play well at all! i know he got boo'd after the rooney wink incident but the united fans still cheered for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

The arrogance of them absolutely disgusts me.

A truly sickening club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

---

I'd say Ronaldo will be an interesting case.

Good post.. It's will be also interesting to see how his team-mates react to his summer madness. The fact that his is (reportedly) out for the first few weeks of the campaign might actually work in his favour. Although, given this guys already over inflated ego, the fans having a negative reaction to him, might actually drive him to display the worst he is capable of.

CQ leaving may also have an impact on his staying/going. That said, most Manu fans i have spoken to would be glad to see the back of him and cash in on him at this stage of his career. The main reason seems to be the disrespect with which he has treated Fergie, the club, but mostly the fans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement