Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

£41.5 million!?!?! :eek: wtf?

I know.... thought so myself... i bet Abramo would scoop him up! He doesn't know what to use his millions for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fergie will need somebody to replace Quieroz's translation skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Interesting read http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7494673.stm

We don't have much except for the same Ronnie story(sick of it!)

But then Russian star Andrei Arshavin will cost any club wishing to sign him from Zenit St Petersburg a total of £41.5m in transfer fees and wages. (Daily Telegraph)

hmmm a lot tbh... I reckon no one would want him now

Well they aren't strapped for cash(they are owned/sponsored by Gazprom)so they really don't need to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Well they aren't strapped for cash(they are owned/sponsored by Gazprom)so they really don't need to sell.

it's not the club, it's more the player himself. he's already on what are higher wages that he'd receive at any of the major European clubs. basically if he signs for a European club he's going to be asked to take a pay cut. barcelona have already come out and said they can't afford to pay him what he's on already.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Andrew Cole urges Ronaldo to remain at Man Utd
    Former United striker Andrew Cole says he hopes Cristiano Ronaldo will stay at Old Trafford… because he and his son love watching the wing wizard.

Cole, who spent six years at United, was unveiled on Monday as Nottingham Forest’s new signing.

Now 36, he is quoted in the Daily Mirror, saying: “Manchester United is my team. I’ve got my season tickets and my son loves to watch them.

“I want Ronaldo to stay because United are a special team and, as a season ticket holder, I want to still be watching him

"If I can help Forest get a good result on the Saturday and then we go to watch Ronaldo on the Sunday, even better.”

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

PHB wrote: »
    Fergie will need somebody to replace Quieroz's translation skills.
    Only translator I know is Mourinho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Andrew Cole urges Ronaldo to remain at Man Utd

link

legend

Im sure ye'll all agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trilla wrote: »
    legend

Im sure ye'll all agree

nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tauren wrote: »
    nope.

expecting that!

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    expecting that!

:D

Great servant to the club, and a very important player for us at times during his career. I respect him a lot for the way he changed his game as his time with us went by, but a legend? Nah.

Mmmmmm he did score 5 in one game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I always liked Andy Cole, loved his partnership the year of the treble :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Fantasy Football related question!

How much game time will Anderson get this year. I was impressed with him last year, but now that Scholes is back will he get much time do ye reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Fantasy Football related question!

How much game time will Anderson get this year. I was impressed with him last year, but now that Scholes is back will he get much time do ye reckon?

I would say he get about fifty percent more time on the field .I think this is Scholes last big year with all the scares he's had.

Hmmm that's what I was thinking. Cheers dude.

• Advertisement

Also Depends on Whether Ronaldo leaves or not.

Just saw there that Anderson's been called up to Brazil's Olympic squad, and may miss the start of the season.

Just saw there that Anderson's been called up to Brazil's Olympic squad, and may miss the start of the season.

That'll be good for him I suppose.Heinze played well for Argentina in the Olympics and I think It put him in a good frame of mind.Maybe If Anderson has a good tournment he will play better for United.United bought him during the slump after his Injury .He hasn't shown his true potential yet.:)

With Anderson, Nani and Ronaldo out for the beginning of the season we better hope we get no injuries during pre season cos we dont have an easy start to the season at all.

With Anderson, Nani and Ronaldo out for the beginning of the season we better hope we get no injuries during pre season cos we dont have an easy start to the season at all.
    They should all be back in time for the really tough games, from what i can tell regarding suspensions, injuries and international commitments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Klaas Jan Huntelaar's agent says there has been no contact with Manchester United as the striker waits for the right offer to quit Ajax.

The Holland international has rejected a new deal with Ajax, who wanted to include a £20million release clause in the contract.

Arsenal have been linked with a bid for Huntelaar, although Ajax stated on Tuesday that there had been no talks with the Gunners.

Premier League champions United are also reported to be admirers of Huntelaar, with the 24-year-old having admitted he would be interested in a move to Old Trafford.

However, the forward's representative Arnold Oosterveer admits that, until a suitable offer is received, Huntelaar will be staying at the Amsterdam ArenA.

"For him, United is a club that is interesting, but unless a suitable club come in for him, he will be at Ajax next season," said Oosterveer in the Daily Mirror.

"We won't speak to Ajax any more about a new contract because they wanted to put a new clause in it, but he has two years to go.

"There has been no contact between Ajax and United, or United and myself."

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3796527,00.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Justhad a thought - Say Ronnie does go to Madrid and we meet them in the Champ's league next year.

Can you imagine the kicking Giggs and Evra would give him down that wing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Evra will have him in his pocket ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

It would prob end up being Rooney and Evra on the left after him. Now that would be a kicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

It would prob end up being Rooney and Evra on the left after him. Now that would be a kicking.

That I would pay to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If it did indeed happen I'd like to see......

VDS
    Brown---Rio---Silvestre---Evra
    Vidic
    Nani
    Hargreaves
    Scholes
    Tevez
    Rooney

kick kick kick kick kick!

Good news on Hunter btw

Dave! wrote: »
    If it did indeed happen I'd like to see......

VDS
    Brown---Rio---Silvestre---Evra
    Vidic
    Nani
    Hargreaves
    Scholes
    Tevez
    Rooney

kick kick kick kick kick!

Good news on Hunter btw

In fairness, the news on Hunter is that we have made no approach to either his agent or his club, so not really all that good imo.

COME ON FERGIE, WE NEED SOME NEW FACES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Looks like Eagles is on his way out, decent player imo, could do a good job for a mid table prem team i feel. Maybe the other club in for him is a prem club.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3797559,00.html

In fairness, the news on Hunter is that we have made no approach to either his agent or his club, so not really all that good imo.

COME ON FERGIE, WE NEED SOME NEW FACES!

Why does everyone (here and on the caf) call him "hunter?" Surely "huntel" fits (even though it makes no sense!) or "KJ" (Klaas Jaan)

Patience dude, we just won the double and nobody of any great significance (bar Piqué) has left so I'd imagine we're biding our time till we get the right player. I'm more concerned about CQ right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Looks like Eagles is on his way out, decent player imo, could do a good job for a mid table prem team i feel. Maybe the other club in for him is a prem club.

Definitely a player that needs to get out of Utd though. He is just not going to get games there and it will hurt his career the longer he stays. At this stage you would just have to say he isn;t good enough.

If he does go I hope he does well where ever it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Definitely a player that needs to get out of Utd though. He is just not going to get games there and it will hurt his career the longer he stays. At this stage you would just have to say he isn;t good enough.

If he does go I hope he does well where ever it is.
    Oh yeah no doubt he certainly isnt good enough for United so a move is for the best. And is still only 22 so he has plenty of time to get his career off the ground. I wish him the best. Remember his goal against Everton (I think), he looked like Bambi on ice running in one on one with the keeper but finished it beautifully.

Why does everyone (here and on the caf) call him "hunter?" Surely "huntel" fits (even though it makes no sense!) or "KJ" (Klaas Jaan)

Patience dude, we just won the double and nobody of any great significance (bar Piqué) has left so I'd imagine we're biding our time till we get the right player. I'm more concerned about CQ right now.

No, we won the double nearly two months ago, and if we want to repeat that success we need to add to the squad. IMO we went backwards after 99 because we didn't freshen up the squad properly. I don't want the same to happen again.

Also, the lads are now in pre-season training. IMO new players should be bought as soon as possible so that they can take part in pre-season training with the players and get integrated into the squad. The longer we leave it, the harder it will be for a new signing to gel with the side in time for the start of the season. Personally, i think we should have sorted out the signings before heading off to Africa, so that any player signed could join the trip and get to know the lads on a pre-season tour (great time for team bonding imo) and it simply doesn't look like we will get anyone in within that time frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Wouldn't be surprised if it's Watford. He was on loan there two seasons ago and he definitely impressed.

No, we won the double nearly two months ago, and if we want to repeat that success we need to add to the squad. IMO we went backwards after 99 because we didn't freshen up the squad properly. I don't want the same to happen again.

Also, the lads are now in pre-season training. IMO new players should be bought as soon as possible so that they can take part in pre-season training with the players and get integrated into the squad. The longer we leave it, the harder it will be for a new signing to gel with the side in time for the start of the season. Personally, i think we should have sorted out the signings before heading off to Africa, so that any player signed could join the trip and get to know the lads on a pre-season tour (great time for team bonding imo) and it simply doesn't look like we will get anyone in within that time frame.

Right but Schmeichel left that year and wasnt properly replaced. As well as that its not really a booming market for the buyer right now so id prefer we wait a few weeks and get the right guy/guys in than jump now and get who we can. Also gotta keep it on the DL in case RO(CK)MAN is lurking ;)

How many of Europes top clubs have made any really big signings this year? Barca brought in Alves, Pique and Keita, theyve been the most active really. Chawsea brought in Deco....meh. Otherwise its been quiet.

How many of Europes top clubs have made any really big signings this year? Barca brought in Alves, Pique and Keita, theyve been the most active really. Chawsea brought in Deco....meh. Otherwise its been quiet.
    So, shouldn't stop United going for the players they want. We have no reason to wait for everyone else to get going, other than chancing we miss out on the players we want cause we arsed around too much.

So, shouldn't stop United going for the players they want. We have no reason to wait for everyone else to get going, other than chancing we miss out on the players we want cause we arsed around too much.

How do u know they arent? Every day this gets discussed and every day its the same. For all we know United could be in advanced negotiations with someone....

Remember Anderson / Nani, came outta nowhere those 2 did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You United fans really are a contrary bunch.

Moaning if the transfer targets are splashed all over the papers.

Moaning if no targets are being reported in the press.

What, exactly, do you want?

Signings will be announced, if and when they are made. Not beforehand.

That is the way it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Could the Ronaldo stuff be preventing them from making moves? If he goes then we'll have to (and be able to) buy different players to if he stays..... The sooner that issue gets resolved the better.

How do u know they arent? Every day this gets discussed and every day its the same. For all we know United could be in advanced negotiations with someone....

Remember Anderson / Nani, came outta nowhere those 2 did.
    Anderson came out of nowhere, Nani was spoken about for weeks beforehand.

And Des, I want United to sign a striker, a good striker and I want the striker signed soon so that he can gel with the team before the season starts.

• Advertisement

And Des, I want United to sign a striker, a good striker and I want the striker signed soon so that he can gel with the team before the season starts.

Do you think the manager doesn't want this, or have other targets in mind already?

Would you prefer if you could read all about them in the papers?

Agreed. I'd rather an announcement is made that we have signed a player, without weeks of sh*te talking in the press about it.
    The Glazers have been very good at keeping signings quiet until theyre made, and I suspect thats whats going on at the minute.
    For all we know they could have a deal almost tied up for Berba or Hunter.
    In Fergie we trust!

Des wrote: »
    Do you think the manager doesn't want this, or have other targets in mind already?

Would you prefer if you could read all about them in the papers?
    I would prefer it was already done, so the guy could be training with the lads right now and getting ready to head off to africa. Its not like the season only ended yesterday - it has been near two months since United finished up, we could (and at this stage last season DID) have deals done by now.

I would prefer it was already done, so the guy could be training with the lads right now and getting ready to head off to africa. Its not like the season only ended yesterday - it has been near two months since United finished up, we could (and at this stage last season DID) have deals done by now.

And it would have been a smart move to sign a player who could have potentially got a career threatening injury in the European Championship, yeah?

Last year:

No Euro 2008
    No Ronaldo actin the b0ll0x
    No CQ possibly leavin
    More targets available

This has come up on this thread every day. Fact is, we havent signed anyone yet, and nothin we say here will speed it up. United have historically (last year excluded) moved in late July anyway so Im not thinkin about it at all really.

Des wrote: »
    And it would have been a smart move to sign a player who could have potentially got a career threatening injury in the European Championship, yeah?

Or who could have been shown up as completely useless.

Imagine we had signed that Gomez fella before the EC's, or worse, Luca Toni, on the strength of their previous alleged good form. They have since been shown up to be non-events on the big stage.

So I'd rather Fergie waited, had a look at the Euro's and then decided on targets.

• Advertisement

pvt.joker wrote: »
    So I'd rather Fergie waited, had a look at the Euro's and then decided on targets.

I'd say Mr. Ferguson had his sights on targets before the Euros tbh.

Look at the last players he signed on the strength of a decent showing at the Euros.

Once bitten.

Equally it could be that the players just had bad championships. I'd still like United to sign Benzema, he didn't exactly have a great one, did he? Huntelaar barely even got on the pitch. I wouldn't base my opinion of a player on the Championships, i would doubt managers do either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I love the assumption we have the money to spend. Last year we borrowed to buy, it's possible we're buying nobody this year.

Realistically we're buying one striker. You just can't do any business before the Euros except with players not in the Euros. Any decent player who isn't English will be at the Euros. Clubs won't sell, because they are hoping the value will go up. See Nasri for Arsenal. That's why it holds up business completely.

Benzema is not bloody coming to United. He said he wants to stay! Lyon president said he isn't going! He says even if he does go, he wants to go to Spain or Italy! Benzema is a non-runner.

Realistically I expect us to make one signing this summer, a striker. When that happens, I've no idea. Who that is? No real idea. I still suspect Berbatov (transfer has the feel of Hargreaves to it) but to be honest, it could be anyone.
    Ronaldo leaving imo hasn't complicated much, Quieroz potentially leaving I'd say really has.

Also our late finish to the season meant it was difficult to get anythign done quickly, because the planning for the following year was a secondary.

Calm down people, what happens happens.

---

More important things. Aberdeen on sat. The season starts again :) Looking forward to seeing Rooney after a nice rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I love the assumption we have the money to spend. Last year we borrowed to buy, it's possible we're buying nobody this year.

Realistically we're buying one striker. You just can't do any business before the Euros except with players not in the Euros. Any decent player who isn't English will be at the Euros. Clubs won't sell, because they are hoping the value will go up. See Nasri for Arsenal. That's why it holds up business completely.

Crespo is available on a free :) - not saying we should buy him but could be worth an original ronaldo style gamble. Can't be any worse than saha :)
    Benzema is not bloody coming to United. He said he wants to stay! Lyon president said he isn't going! He says even if he does go, he wants to go to Spain or Italy! Benzema is a non-runner.

yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Huntelaar bides his time:
    Klaas Jan Huntelaar's agent says there has been no contact with Manchester United as the striker waits for the right offer to quit Ajax.
    The Holland international has rejected a new deal with Ajax, who wanted to include a £20million release clause in the contract.
    Arsenal have been linked with a bid for Huntelaar, although Ajax stated on Tuesday that there had been no talks with the Gunners.
    Premier League champions United are also reported to be admirers of Huntelaar, with the 24-year-old having admitted he would be interested in a move to Old Trafford.
    However, the forward's representative Arnold Oosterveer admits that, until a suitable offer is received, Huntelaar will be staying at the Amsterdam ArenA.
    "For him, United is a club that is interesting, but unless a suitable club come in for him, he will be at Ajax next season," said Oosterveer in the Daily Mirror.
    "We won't speak to Ajax any more about a new contract because they wanted to put a new clause in it, but he has two years to go.
    "There has been no contact between Ajax and United, or United and myself."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3796366,00.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement