Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

PHB wrote:
    More important things. Aberdeen on sat. The season starts again Looking forward to seeing Rooney after a nice rest.

Cant fecking wait! :D I have a bet with one of my mates that Rooney will win player of the year this season, Im expecting big things from him this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ye if anyone has it in him to match Ronaldos 40+ goals in a season it's Rooney. I'm convinced he'll do it a couple of times in his career - an injury free pre/full season would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

At the start of last season, his finishing was immense. In pre-season, he looked as clinical as Ruud. A good break will do him the world of good, and I fully expect him to hit above 20 league goals next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Nunu wrote: »
    Ye if anyone has it in him to match Ronaldos 40+ goals in a season it's Rooney. I'm convinced he'll do it a couple of times in his career - an injury free pre/full season would help.

Sorry but have to pull you up on this - I know he's only 22 but I'd be very surprised if he managed to score 40+ goals in a couple of times in his career. 40 goals is just a massive massive goal haul in a seaon. Anything over thirty goals is excellent going for a stiker in a season. I'd rate any player who maintains a goal every two games very highly.

If he stays at UTD for his entire career he's going to be surrounded by other goal-scorers as opposed to being at a club where the whole focus of the attack is based on him, which makes it even harder for him to bag forty goals. Sure lots of chances will be created but there will be lots of others looking to finish them.

Given that he can have quiet patches when the goals dry up and his iffy-ish injury history I can possibly imagine him maybe doing it once in his career if he gets lucky but numerous times I just cant imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Agree with everything you said, but I still think he'll do it a couple of times;)

Also, consider this - hasn't he averaged near 20 a season for Utd so far and we all know he has much more in him and the prospect of a full uninterupted season will increase the chances of it happening

It may have to wait until Ronaldo moves on(which will happen in the next 3 years) and the gauntlet is really thrown down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Don't think SAF will be happy with this!
    Also in the interview, Blatter called on Manchester United to release Cristiano Ronaldo if the prized winger asks to join Real Madrid.

While Ronaldo has continued to speak of his desire to join the Spanish champion, the Glazer family that owns Manchester United has repeatedly insisted that Ronaldo will not be sold at any price.

"We should also protect the player and if the player wants to play somewhere else, then a solution should be found,'' Blatter said. "Because if he stays in a club where he does not feel comfortable to play, then it's not good for the player and for the club ... I'm always in favor to protect the player and if the player, he wants to leave, let him leave.''

Blatter risked enraging United manager Alex Ferguson by likening the situation to slavery - the same analogy that prompted the Scot to publicly rebuke Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon in May.

"I think in football, there's too much modern slavery, in transferring players or buying players here and there, and putting them somewhere,'' Blatter said. "We are trying now to intervene in such cases ... the reaction to the Bosman law is to make long-lasting contacts to keep the players and then if he wants to leave, then there is only one solution, he has to pay his contract.''

A 1995 ruling involving Belgian soccer player Jean-Marc Bosman allows players to move clubs freely once their contract expired.

Full article here.

I'm off to the event that may never be spoken off here in the morning so will be cluless to anything that happens in the next few day...back Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why do Blatter and Platini seem to hate English football and Manchester United so much?

Where was Blatter a year or 2 ago when Drogba was made stay? What a tosser.

"We are trying now to intervene in such cases. The reaction to the Bosman law is to make long-lasting contacts in order to keep the players and then if he wants to leave, then there is only one solution, he has to pay his contract."

kinda contradictory there seeing as Ronaldo signed said "long contract".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ffs blatter really is an idiot, he is known to have 50 ideas a day, 51 of them bad!! and slavery?! can someone tell me the slave driver thats willing to pay £120,000 a week, coz id hand him my cv in a heartbeat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Step Ladder is a fool and the sooner he's ousted the better. The PL chiefs and in particular United should make it clear that his interference in the saga is unwelcome.

sprinkles wrote: »
    Step Ladder is a fool and the sooner he's ousted the better. The PL chiefs and in particular United should make it clear that his interference in the saga is unwelcome.

Im sure SAF will ridicule him again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

ITs absolute ridculous both Platini and Blatter come out with rubbish like this. It truly shows up how Fifa/Uefa are bunch of clowns who are if anything bringing the game in to disrepute.

If this man has to leave my beloved Ajax, there would be no where more fitting than my second beloved club Man United to take him on.

has there been much talk on Ajax sites about him leaving, and who he is likely to end up signing for?

There is alot of talk that he may end up joining Arsenal and not Man United.

Thats what they say in Holland.

Had been hearing that myself, which is not good news at all!

Had I been an Arsenal fan, I would say he would make a class partnership with RVP, which would be excellent for Holland.

But as a United fan I obviously dont want that.

i think it could go either way, i believe RVP would sway him towards arsenal but he has been quoted in saying he wants to make the samne impression RVN made in utd! i really hope we get him! he is older than 17 now so wenger probably wont want him!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

kmart6 wrote: »
    Don't think SAF will be happy with this!

Full article here.

I'm off to the event that may never be spoken off here in the morning so will be cluless to anything that happens in the next few day...back Monday
    Fifa president Sepp Blatter believes that Cristiano Ronaldo should not be held against his will at Manchester United.
    Ronaldo has been linked with a record-breaking transfer to Real Madrid following publicised courting from the Primera Division giants.
    Real's open pursuit of the two-time PFA Players' Player of the Year saw United report the club to Fifa; however football's world governing body decided against taking any formal action.
    On the subject of the Portugal international's future, Blatter expressed his belief that a want-away player should be allowed to leave his club if he so desires, while he also hit out at what he describes as 'modern slavery' in football.
    Solution

"The important thing is, we should also protect the player," he told Sky Sports News.
    "If the player wants to play somewhere else, then a solution should be found because if he stays in a club where he does not feel comfortable to play then it's not good for the player and for the club.
    "I'm always in favour of protecting the player and if the player, he wants to leave, let him leave.
    "I think in football there's too much modern slavery in transferring players or buying players here and there, and putting them somewhere.
    "We are trying now to intervene in such cases. The reaction to the Bosman law is to make long-lasting contacts in order to keep the players and then if he wants to leave, then there is only one solution, he has to pay his contract."

And here's more on skysports.com.

This just really annoys me. As someone else asked, what is it with this pr*ck against English football and why does he have to stick his nose in where it's not wanted.

He had nothing to say when Drogba wanted to leave or when Owen Hargreaves wanted to leave Bayern Munich to come to united the season before we got him but now that it's United wanting to hold on to one of their prized assets, he decides it's time to speak.

Moaning that there was that many English clubs in the champions league semi finals and final, well he didn't have a problem years ago when it was the Italians that dominated or the Spanish.

Gob sh*te!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

And here's more on skysports.com.

This just really annoys me. As someone else asked, what is it with this pr*ck against English football and why does he have to stick his nose in where it's not wanted.

He had nothing to say when Drogba wanted to leave or when Owen Hargreaves wanted to leave Bayern Munich to come to united the season before we got him but now that it's United wanting to hold on to one of their prized assets, he decides it's time to speak.

Moaning that there was that many English clubs in the champions league semi finals and final, well he didn't have a problem years ago when it was the Italians that dominated or the Spanish.

Gob sh*te!

If it was the other way around ie. a Premiership club constantly briefing the press, mouthing off constantly, using massive financial muscle against a Spanish team he'd be saying the exact opposite.

Players should be loyal to their contracts and Premiership clubs need to behave blah blah blah.

He is an odious tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

sprinkles wrote: »

I'd describe him as an Ignorant Arrogant Lard eating Clueless Dangerous Sexist Gobsh'ite

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

If players don't want to stay at a club for a certain amount of time, why bother signing a contracts of X amount of years?

All these options of buying out your last 2 years of contract etc..l it's a load of sh*te.

I can understand clubs offering long contracts to increase player values and all but what is a contract these days. Nowt!

If a players wanted a long contract, thats what should be negociated initially with the intention of seeing it out. If a player wants a trial run at a club because he's unsure as foreign players may not adjust to a country etc... well then a 3/4 year contract where the situation is reviewed after a year so that the club and player can decide afterward whether or not they want the player to stay on or whether the player wants to stay at the club. At least that way, the club wouldn't lose out on a transfer fee if the player did shine etc.

I haven't particularly thought it all out but it's just a vague idea on how I feel contracts should go. I'm sure there's plenty of flaws to it but do you see where I'm going with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

But which Sepp Blatter is speaking?

The one that said this in February?
    Blatter, Feb 2008 (on the Andy Webster case): "The decision which CAS took on 30 January is very damaging for football and a Pyrrhic victory for those players and their agents, who toy with the idea of rescinding contracts before they have been fulfilled (...) Because of this unfortunate decision, the principle of contractual stability, as agreed in 2001 with the European Commission as part of the new transfer regulations and which restored order to the transfer system, has been deemed less important than the short-term interests of the player involved."

Or the one that was named honorary member of Real Madrid in 2006?

FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter today received the title of honorary member of Real Madrid and a gold and diamond club badge from Real Madrid president Ramón Calderón at a ceremony held at the Santiago Bernabéu stadium in Madrid.

"I am proud to receive this important distinction." said the FIFA President.

"One of my objectives as president was to restore the positive relations that the club has enjoyed historically with sporting bodies. Having President Blatter among us, his accepting the title of honorary member and presenting him with a gold and diamond club badge is a joy for Real Madrid that will live long in the memory," said the president of Real Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lolol.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lads, we all know Blatter and Platini are the biggest laughing stocks in European football at the moment... I doubt coming out with even more ridiculous comments like that will get them any respect... Ignore the bloody cabron..

haha ya gotta find these comments kind of funny, he is just an idiot! says one thing one day and the exact opposite the next! he really shouldnt be allowed speak.....or think...ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Trilla wrote: »
    I'd describe him as an Ignorant Arrogant Lard eating Clueless Dangerous Sexist Gobsh'ite

Trilla, you forgot to mention that he's swiss!

Have a look at his wiki. He is an asshole. The english FA overrule his sending off policy so he hates the whole league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Blatter... the man is swine. the grotesque embodiment of everything that is wrong within football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Blatter incurred the ire of women footballers the world over in 2004 when he suggested that women should "wear tighter shorts"

I like him :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

We know why you like him M_AL. He's a complete spanner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

emmm....i should hope so, i included the reason in my post?!:confused:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I like him :D

Have you ever seen women playing football? Of course I use the word women very loosely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Have you ever seen women playing football? Of course I use the word women very loosely.

I did. It was vicious, lots of hair pulling off the ball. A goal was scored from just inside the halfway line. It bounced many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

well at least someone in authority has put Blatter in his place. UEFA of all people... i'm sure Platini is doing his nut at Gaillard's statements what with his love in with Blatter and all...
    The Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, was wrong to describe modern footballers as ''slaves'', Uefa said today.

The governing body for European football rejected Blatter's comments that there was a trend towards ''modern slavery'' in the game, with players tied to clubs on unreasonably long contracts. Uefa warned that the increasing power of players since the Bosman ruling in 1995 was unbalancing the relationship between clubs and footballers, rather than an iniquitous system of contracts.

Uefa's communications director, William Gaillard, said salaries were "spiralling out of control", contradicting Blatter's portrayal of exploited players. "It would be useful to remind people that slaves in all of the slavery systems never earned a wage," Gaillard said.

''It seems that both clubs and players are trying to negotiate an exit before the player is free [at the end of his contract]. It is a consequence of the Bosman ruling - there is nothing we can do about that. It is obvious that today players have a lot more power than they did 20 years ago, undoubtedly, and agents have a lot more power than they did 20 years ago," Gaillard added.

Blatter made his remarks in response to a question regarding the future of Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo, who appears to be pressing for a transfer to Real Madrid against the wishes of his club. "There's too much modern slavery, in transferring players or buying players. We are trying now to intervene in such cases,'' Blatter said yesterday. ''The reaction to the Bosman law is to make long-lasting contracts to keep the players, and then if he wants to leave there is only one solution, he has to pay his contract."

Manchester United also condemned Blatter today. A club spokesperson said: "All our players - like at other clubs - enter into their contracts after an open and free negotiation; most of whom do so after taking advice from a Fifa-registered agent. Many do so on a number of occasions and enjoy long and successful stays at Old Trafford.''
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/10/3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Loose women? Sign me up for some of that!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

uh-oh, spaghetti-o's

You do realise one of the mods of soccer is a football-playing woman, don't you?

Des wrote: »
    uh-oh, spaghetti-o's

You do realise one of the mods of soccer is a football-playing woman, don't you?

Well, I will hope that this thread is boring enough today that she wont look in. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Des wrote: »
    uh-oh, spaghetti-o's

Holy crap! They not only let a woman into here, but they put her in a position of power?!?!? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

jaykay74 wrote: »
    A goal was scored from just inside the halfway line. It bounced many times.
    LOL!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Well Ronaldo has replied to to blatters comments and he agrees that footballers are treated like slaves..

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3802815,00.html

I must have gone blind, cause I can't see any quotes from him. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

yea noticed that aswell, it was just on sky sports news apparently he was talking to some portugese news channel in lisbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

its as bad as the sun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

These comments from Blatter today really have shown that Fifa have given Real a carte blanche to do as they please. I wonder if Blatter would be of the same opinion if it was the other way around and it United that was trying to unsettle a Madrid player somehow I very much doubt it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

very quite on the signing front this year for united.
    are there any signs of players coming in or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ronaldo will only be at Old Traford in August if wearing chains

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article4312094.ece
    “You know what I said, what I want [to move to Madrid] and what I would like," Ronaldo said. "Let’s see, I agree completely with the president of Fifa [regarding the slavery comments]. Now I have to wait and see, but I do not know where I will begin the season.”

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I think Sepp Blatter should apologise for what he said. To imply Ronaldo (on €100,000+ a week, has millions of admirers, etc. etc.) is a slave is astounding. It's ridiculous. The man is an embarrassment.

I wish the whole Ronaldo thing would just finish one way or the other. I couldn't care less anymore.

• Advertisement

Tom65 wrote: »
    I think Sepp Blatter should apologise for what he said. To imply Ronaldo (on €100,000+ a week, has millions of admirers, etc. etc.) is a slave is astounding. It's ridiculous. The man is an embarrassment.

I wish the whole Ronaldo thing would just finish one way or the other. I couldn't care less anymore.
    yep - sell the jerk and move on, get some top players in and move on. I don't want him at United anymore - he has no respect for the club, or the fans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement