Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

It's dragging on too long without any concrete commitment on Ronaldo's behalf to being at United next season. We seriously should do business with Real. Take Sneijder and Robben or bid for another world class winger (Messi) and striker (Berbatov).

I still see no news on a right back. I thought that was to be a priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

Ekels wrote: »
    It's dragging on too long without any concrete commitment on Ronaldo's behalf to being at United next season. We seriously should do business with Real.

I'm surprised more people aren't thinking like this. Ronaldo has obviously been turned by something in Madrid and do you really want a player who seems so dead set on leaving?

It really boggles me as to why he'd want to leave United for Madrid, bar maybe money.

I imagine if he stays he'll put his head down and come out and say he never really wanted to leave anyway.

Either way, I think United are really in a terrible bind here. As a team, they're much weaker without him and he is one of their few outstanding players (albeit in a very solid team). On the otherhand, they're better off taking the money for a primadona who doesn't respect the club he's at. They just won the Champions League FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Blatter and Platini are idiots. nothing new.

Ronaldo once again stating he wants to leave, tough cookie. You shouldn't have signed a 5 year deal.

Some of the solutions put forward though are pretty funny. Sell Ronaldo buy Messi. Realistic plan there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

BBC picking up on it, with some direct quotes from the boy himself. Fergie must be seething.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7499028.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Just have to trust that Fergie will make the right call on Ronaldo. Looks like he will be out for 3 months now rather than 6/8 weeks. AFAIK he still hasn't handed in an official transfer request, some slave !!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7501105.stm
    Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo has revealed he could be sidelined for up to three months following his ankle operation.
    It had been thought the 23-year-old winger, who is at the centre of a transfer tug-of-war with Real Madrid, would only be out for half that time.
    "It's confirmed I'll be out of action for up to 12 weeks but recovery is going well," said the Portugal star.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Ferguson must be royally pissed off with Ronaldo at this stage. I can see where Ronaldo's coming from, but he's being a total gimpchild about it. He gets paid enough and gets enough adulation that he should be able to get over "having to" play at United for the remainder of his contract.

Given Ferguson's absolute power and ruthlessness that he's shown in the past (Keane, Van Nistlerooy, etc) in axing players who aren't good for the team (off the pitch, as well as on), it wouldn't surprise me to see Ferguson selling Ronaldo. But if he doesn't get enough for him, it'd be absolutely hilarious to see him have Ronaldo sit out the remainder of his contract with the reserves. It'd never happen, but man would it be sweet.

On a more serious note, United are in a bit of a bind. Ronaldo could easily command a record transfer fee, but he's screwing United over with his comments. If Ferguson wants to sell him, but puts the price at a record fee - Real won't probably offer as much since they know Ferguson has to risk not selling him and having him here next season spreading discontent. I know it would be a total hardship having the leagues standout player at your side when he doesn't want to, but do United fans care about Ronaldo's happiness as long as he does the business on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i don't give a crap about his personal happiness at this point - he has been far to disrespectful to deserve any such feelings from United fans. If Real were to offer between £60million and £70million for him today, i'd tell them i'd accept once Ronaldo hands in a transfer request.

As for how I would feel about him if he 'does it' on the pitch - i hope to not find out at this point, the though of him playing in United red again actually annoys me at this point; he doesn't deserve any support, respect or money from United, as he clearly doesn't want any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

I would tend to agree, was I a United fan. How low would you go though in your valuation of him? Say Real offered £50 million? Or £40 million? Would it come to the stage where you'd prefer to see him just sitting there getting paid and not playing, or playing in the reserves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Tauren wrote: »
    i don't give a crap about his personal happiness at this point - he has been far to disrespectful to deserve any such feelings from United fans. If Real were to offer between £60million and £70million for him today, i'd tell them i'd accept once Ronaldo hands in a transfer request.

As for how I would feel about him if he 'does it' on the pitch - i hope to not find out at this point, the though of him playing in United red again actually annoys me at this point; he doesn't deserve any support, respect or money from United, as he clearly doesn't want any of it.

I agree 100% . I don't want him at the club anymore, and don't care what he could achieve for us next season. Get him out Fergie.

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    I would tend to agree, was I a United fan. How low would you go though in your valuation of him? Say Real offered £50 million? Or £40 million? Would it come to the stage where you'd prefer to see him just sitting there getting paid and not playing, or playing in the reserves?

To be honest, I wouldn't accept a deal worth less that 60million (could be a lower cash price with players thrown in) and at that price i would consider it cheap for the player.

On a related note - who else has the distinct impression Real's 30million valuation of Robinho is DIRECTLY linked to wanting to sell him in order to fund the Ronaldo deal. Personally, I would say he is only worth about 15 million at the moment, but I can see real doing something like "We'll give you 30million plus Robinho for Ronaldo....sure thats basically 60million right there!!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I still don't want him to leave, and I still don't think he will.

Why? to both parts of your sentene?

Not having a go or anything, but just wondering why you would want him to stay after the way he has behaved and why you think he actually will stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Can I ask why you want to keep a player at our club who has shown nothing but disrespect to the fans and the manager who has stuck by him through everything , when everyone else has him written off as a one trick pony.
    He doesn't deserve to wear the jersey again.

AGAIN I say, GET HIM OUT FERGIE

It actually sickens me to think that a player like him is at our club.
    He has totally wiped the gloss off our superb end of last season, and for that alone I want him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Nothings changed imo, we all knew he wants to go to Madrid, that interview doesnt change anything, he is contracted for 5 years so unless Madrid pay upwards on £60-£70million I dont want him going anywhere either. As has been said here before he will play well for us if he does stay just to boost his own ego and hope that Madrid come in for him again next summer.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=101927

Michael Laudrup is looming large as the ideal replacement for Carlos Queiroz at Manchester United.

The Times says Laudrup, who is available after a season in charge at Getafe, would be interested in joining United as Sir Alex Ferguson's No2.

Have had a look on The Times website, and there is nothing there on this story as reported by Tribal football, so either TF are making it up or it just hasn't ben put on the website.

Anyway - from what I have heard he did a good job as manager of Getafe last season, but I know precious little about him, to be honest. Don't know what he is like as a trainer, or what his contacts throughout europe are like. I did hear he was being considered for the Barcelona job previously.

Why? to both parts of your sentene?

Not having a go or anything, but just wondering why you would want him to stay after the way he has behaved and why you think he actually will stay.
    pvt.joker wrote: »
    Can I ask why you want to keep a player at our club who has shown nothing but disrespect to the fans and the manager who has stuck by him through everything , when everyone else has him written off as a one trick pony.
    He doesn't deserve to wear the jersey again.

AGAIN I say, GET HIM OUT FERGIE

It actually sickens me to think that a player like him is at our club.
    He has totally wiped the gloss off our superb end of last season, and for that alone I want him out.

No problem.

Why I want him to stay?

He is the most effective player in the world right now. He is the best finisher we have a club. 42 goals etc etc etc. Regarding the attitude he has shown since the end of the year, I admit it hasn't been right but once the season starts up again and the transfer window is closed he will be back on the pitch giving 100%(at least his version of 100%) because his ego to be known as the best player in the world will mean he will have to.

Besides if really wants that move to Real he will have to have another great season as there is always someone waiting to take your spot.

Why I think he will stay? The club don't want to sell. The manager doesn't want to sell, and Real wont pay what is required to either Utd or Ronaldo.

Disrespect to Fergie and the fans? Well I don't know how the fans will react. I will say this though. Ferguson knows more about the club and football than anybody else in the world IMO. If he is willing to take the "disrepect" and bring the player back to the club because he is that important and that good than so am I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=101927

Michael Laudrup is looming large as the ideal replacement for Carlos Queiroz at Manchester United.

The Times says Laudrup, who is available after a season in charge at Getafe, would be interested in joining United as Sir Alex Ferguson's No2.

Have had a look on The Times website, and there is nothing there on this story as reported by Tribal football, so either TF are making it up or it just hasn't ben put on the website.

Anyway - from what I have heard he did a good job as manager of Getafe last season, but I know precious little about him, to be honest. Don't know what he is like as a trainer, or what his contacts throughout europe are like. I did hear he was being considered for the Barcelona job previously.
    He certainly could be a good option alright. Fantastic player in his day so he should have the respect of the players, experience as assisant manager of Denmark and manager of Getafe where I have read he ensured they played good, attractive attacking football.

The second United are willing to sell, Real will only offer like 50 million. They can't afford 70 million! They've never had that sort of cash. They just used it to turn Ronaldos head, and now are backing down. The choice is between selling him for like 50 million or keeping him. Real just don't have the cash.

PHB wrote: »
    Blatter and Platini are idiots. nothing new.

Ronaldo once again stating he wants to leave, tough cookie. You shouldn't have signed a 5 year deal.

Some of the solutions put forward though are pretty funny. Sell Ronaldo buy Messi. Realistic plan there.

Sack Fergie, sell Ronaldo!! :pac::pac::pac:

Ive been saying since may that we should sell him, his lack of public commitment to the club as well as his "me me" attitude (which was epitomised when after the CL Final all he could talk about was himself) means that he could turn into a problem (and the talk is that the players are fed up with him now too) so better to rid ourselves of a giant distraction. Sell him, buy 2-3 players to fill the gap and move on.

The second United are willing to sell, Real will only offer like 50 million. They can't afford 70 million! They've never had that sort of cash. They just used it to turn Ronaldos head, and now are backing down. The choice is between selling him for like 50 million or keeping him. Real just don't have the cash.

cash + players tbh.

I'd take 50 million and someone like Sergio Ramos, no problem.

Blatter is a disgrace to this sport, how he made it to the FIFA presidency is astonishing to me.

• Advertisement

Im sure you would. Ramos realistically is the only player we've got a chance of getting. Ronaldo is probably the only player at United who wants to leave (who is playing regualarly) Ramos is the same for Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

Its about time this man was brought to task! If the clubs or their managers respond to his comments they would probably get fined, so the supporters should stand up to him and FIFA!

http://www.fifa.com/contact/form.html

I posted the following:
    The comments made by Sepp Blatter regarding Cristiano Ronaldo and "modern slavery" are absolutely ridiculous. To compare a modern day footballer who earns in excess of 100k Euro a week is not only stupid, but an insult to those you did suffer from slavery! His position within FIFA should be reconsidered.

I believe Mr Blatter is also an Honorary member of Real Madrid, and his comments raise questions regarding the integrity of FIFA and its members!

Doubt I will get a reply! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Its been a dissappointing summer. You would imagine after winning the Europen Cup and League that we would get stronger. Instead we are on the verge of suffering two severe blows with Ronaldo and Queiroz likely to leave.

As much as I dislike Ronaldo (even more so now) we would not have won the league this year without him and to a certain extent the CL. There were many games this season where a moment of Ronaldo brilliance swung the game. Take 40+ goals away from last season and where would we have finished?

Its embarrassing in a way that despite our achievements, United and the Premier League still play second fiddle to the likes of Madrid. The most worrying aspect of this saga is that it would appear all our transfer activity will hinge on its outcome. I cant see us signing a player until the Ronaldo makes up his mind. If he goes there will be an almighty scramble to sign players. Will the top players in the world think twice about a move to OT, after watching Ronaldo leave?

Queroz will be a big loss also. He has definitely taken over practically all of the hands on management and its clear him and Ferguson have a great relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I cant see us signing a player until the Ronaldo makes up his mind.

Ronaldo has already made up his mind.

Its time for SAF,Gill,Glazers and Real Madrid to make up theirs.

Think I'll PM Kryogen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

I saw this on bbc web site! Maybe they should have postponed the op until after the transfer window!

Cristiano Ronaldo will miss the start of the new season after undergoing complex surgery to remove the foot firmly jammed in his mouth.

Well it's his ankle actually, but there is clearly a more serious problem troubling Manchester United's superstar.

[EMAIL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2008/07/oh_to_be_a_slave_like_ronaldos.html"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2008/07/oh_to_be_a_slave_like_ronaldos.html[/EMAIL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Maybe the operation was to remove Fergies boot from his arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

MartyM wrote: »
    Its about time this man was brought to task! If the clubs or their managers respond to his comments they would probably get fined, so the supporters should stand up to him and FIFA!

http://www.fifa.com/contact/form.html

I posted the following:

Doubt I will get a reply! :)

He is even contradicting the FIFA ruling earlier
    However Fifa did ask the Spanish Football Federation to "remind Real Madrid about the potential legal consequences of a breach of contract without just cause".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

ive been a utd fan all my life and tbh i want ronaldo to go now, i know he has been a fantastic player, the last 2 seasons he,s been outstandings but for a player to disrepect a club , manager and fans the way he has is crazy, if he wants to go let him go, id rather 50-70 mill in the transfer kitty that a petulant spoilt brat on the bench, as for signings i wouldnt mind seeing robbie keane at old trafford lol, fergie do another sylvestre on the pool would be class.lmao

i really dont think that Utd fans should assume that if Ronaldo is sold, the money will all be ploughed back into players. I think there'll be money made available for a replacement maybe 20m-30m, but i'd imagine the rest will be used to service some of the massive debt still on the club.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i really dont think that Utd fans should assume that if Ronaldo is sold, the money will all be ploughed back into players. I think there'll be money made available for a replacement maybe 20m-30m, but i'd imagine the rest will be used to service some of the massive debt still on the club.
    oh i totally agree mate i was just useing that as a way of expressing my displesure at the players lack of morals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Its been a dissappointing summer.

Ah another 5 weeks or so to go, keep the faith

As much as I dislike Ronaldo (even more so now)

Agree 100%, get him out....

Its embarrassing in a way that despite our achievements, United and the Premier League still play second fiddle to the likes of Madrid.

Alot can be said for regular human yearings and wants. Culture, Weather, Ladies :P. English clubs will never be able to compete with that aspect.
    Queroz will be a big loss also. He has definitely taken over practically all of the hands on management and its clear him and Ferguson have a great relationship.

Yep, big loss. But it all adds to the challenge. Bring it on!!!

That would normalyl make sense, except you're ignoring Fergie. If Fergie is to sanction a sale, which is unlikely, he'll only do it once he's allowed reinvest it. His legacy is the most important thing after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

That would normalyl make sense, except you're ignoring Fergie. If Fergie is to sanction a sale, which is unlikely, he'll only do it once he's allowed reinvest it. His legacy is the most important thing after all.

You really believe this PHB?? I'd like to but.....really?

how do you possibly know that?

Ferguson himself knows that debts need to be paid.

And lets remember, Ferguson doesnt have to sanction anything, indeed if the Glazers/Gill decide to sell and Fergie doesnt want them to, things could get VERY interesting at OT before the end of the summer.

And lets remember, Ferguson doesnt have to sanction anything, indeed if the Glazers/Gill decide to sell and Fergie doesnt want them to, things could get VERY interesting at OT before the end of the summer.
    i totally agree could get messy carlos q on his way to portugal aswell. could make for an intresting few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

almanu wrote: »
    ive been a utd fan all my life and tbh i want ronaldo to go now, i know he has been a fantastic player, the last 2 seasons he,s been outstandings but for a player to disrepect a club , manager and fans the way he has is crazy, if he wants to go let him go, id rather 50-70 mill in the transfer kitty that a petulant spoilt brat on the bench, as for signings i wouldnt mind seeing robbie keane at old trafford lol, fergie do another sylvestre on the pool would be class.lmao

United just need to come out with a statement saying Real Madrid have not even approached them about the player.

This puts the ball in their court!!

Madrid know if they show official interest in CR, they'll have to pay up! They keep saying United have to want to sell, yet RM wont even enquire about the possibility of signing CR. They're an absolute joke of a club!
    Ronaldo knows if he hands in a transfer request he loses money AND could end-up being shipped out to a club other than RM.

Both Ronaldo and Real are employing typical Madrid tactics to try and get him on the cheap!

He has to go regardless, after his latest insults towards the club and the fans (agreeing that he's a slave to United!!), I would even sell him to another club for 40 million........but if Madrid really want him then they'll have to pay big time!

United are in control of this one and even though we cannot realistically stop him from going somewhere next season (rotting in the reserves is not an option), he will certainly leave under Uniteds conditions...

MartyM wrote: »
    United just need to come out with a statement saying Real Madrid have not even approached them about the player.

This puts the ball in their court!!

Madrid know if they show official interest in CR, they'll have to pay up! They keep saying United have to want to sell, yet RM wont even enquire about the possibility of signing CR. They're an absolute joke of a club!
    Ronaldo knows if he hands in a transfer request he loses money AND could end-up being shipped out to a club other than RM.

Both Ronaldo and Real are employing typical Madrid tactics to try and get him on the cheap!

He has to go regardless, after his latest insults towards the club and the fans (agreeing that he's a slave to United!!), I would even sell him to another club for 40 million........but if Madrid really want him then they'll have to pay big time!

United are in control of this one and even though we cannot realistically stop him from going somewhere next season (rotting in the reserves is not an option), he will certainly leave under Uniteds conditions...
    if dreams can come true we,d have real in the group stages of the champions league, god imagine those two games amazing, just stick evra on ronaldo all game do his head in lol.that just might happen since sepp blatter is a member of real madrid. CRAZY

how do you possibly know that?

Ferguson himself knows that debts need to be paid.

That's true. But ultimately, the Glazers have shown no desire whatsoever to eat into the debt.
    Personally if you gave me the choice of Ronaldo for 80 million all of it going into the debt, especially the PIKs, I'd take it. But the Glazers have never done anything to suggest they will eat into the debt, and currently our profits ensure that we stay above the interest line.

Fergie knows the debts needs to be repaid, but he's never shown any indication he gives a **** about the takeover at all. While I'll never lose my respect for him as a football manager, he's gotten completely out of touch with the average fan and what's important to him, best shown by his utter abandonment of his socialist roots.

Fergie has two years left, and the most important thing for him, is to get another European cup, hopefully 2. That's at the root of his attitude towards Ronaldo. Fergie of 10 years ago may well have shipped him on, indeed Beckham was shifted on once he got too big for his boots (although he also had gotten bad on the pitch aswell, so it's slightly different'

Because of this, even if he does decide to sell, he'll only do it once he can reinvest. If not, he has a ****load of hold over the Glazers.
    If Ronaldo was sold against Fergie's wishes and the Glazers forced it through to sell off interest, that's probably one of the only situations that the Glazers could actually face a popular revolt in real terms (i.e. withdrawing of financial support).
    Not only that, but the Glazers need Fergie, because he's the only one who can guarantee them continued success on the pitch, which is so essential to keeping the investors off their back.

All in all, I can't imagine the Glazers would be stupid enough to do what you're suggesting, but personally, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. 80 million of the debt paid off and the possibility of the rest of United fans waking up to realise how bad a situation the club is in. Might be a good thing in the long run, albeit not for success on the pitch [but in relation to that, I think we'd be fine if Ronaldo left, once we get another striker in, and another winger who'd be half decent ala Robinho]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Qeuiroz leaves united for portugal job. just announced. SSN
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3807132,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

evad_lhorg wrote: »

9!

I liked him, and hoped he'd get the job after Ferguson leaves. maybe still hope for that. he certainly helped contribute the recent rise of the Premier League and increased technical ability. possibly the most influential assistant we have ever seen? i think so. a loss to the league imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Very disappointing and a bad day for the club but you can't really blame him and I wish him well in the job. But still :(

Hopefully the club have been working the last week or so on the assumption that he would be leaving, and having been making contact with whoever it is that they want to take over from him. We don't do well when fergie doesn't have a number 2, or his number 2 is Phelan.

Can't blame Carlos at all. I think a number 2 would jump at the opportunity to manage their country especially when they gave him everything he asked for ( 4 year contract, the money he wanted). Hope he does well while in charge, and I hope he keeps in touch with SAF about any players he might spot in the future. He should be keeping an eye on the Portuguese youth so SAF and Carlos maintaining a good relationship would be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Blatter is an Honorary Member of Real:
    Quite apart from the hilariousness of his comments, Mediawatch did wonder what prompted Sepp Blatter's insane ramblings yesterday.

There have been enough tedious transfer sagas over the past couple of years, so why did he feel the need to wade in over this one?

Then our attention was brought to the following item on FIFA.com, posted on November 21 2006:

'FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter today received the title of honorary member of Real Madrid and a gold and diamond club badge from Real Madrid president Ramón Calderón at a ceremony held at the Santiago Bernabéu stadium in Madrid.

"I am proud to receive this important distinction and sign this collaboration agreement with Real Madrid, a club which was a founder member of FIFA in 1904, was declared the Twentieth Century's Best Club in 2000 and was awarded the FIFA Centennial Order of Merit in 2004" said Blatter at the time.

"I am convinced that together we can make a significant contribution to making the world a better place and, above all, bring joy and hope to young ones through our sport."

We were also rather amused, in the light of Blatter's assertion that footballers were 'slaves', to read the closing passage on the piece:

'This agreement is part of FIFA's strategy to work in conjunction with clubs to develop social responsibility programmes that help to build a better world through football.'

Good going there Sepp.

http://www.football365.com/mediawatch/0,17033,8749_3805769,00.html

That really is taking the f***ing p*ss :mad:

That's true. But ultimately, the Glazers have shown no desire whatsoever to eat into the debt.
    Personally if you gave me the choice of Ronaldo for 80 million all of it going into the debt, especially the PIKs, I'd take it. But the Glazers have never done anything to suggest they will eat into the debt, and currently our profits ensure that we stay above the interest line.

Fergie knows the debts needs to be repaid, but he's never shown any indication he gives a **** about the takeover at all. While I'll never lose my respect for him as a football manager, he's gotten completely out of touch with the average fan and what's important to him, best shown by his utter abandonment of his socialist roots.

Fergie has two years left, and the most important thing for him, is to get another European cup, hopefully 2. That's at the root of his attitude towards Ronaldo. Fergie of 10 years ago may well have shipped him on, indeed Beckham was shifted on once he got too big for his boots (although he also had gotten bad on the pitch aswell, so it's slightly different'

Because of this, even if he does decide to sell, he'll only do it once he can reinvest. If not, he has a ****load of hold over the Glazers.
    If Ronaldo was sold against Fergie's wishes and the Glazers forced it through to sell off interest, that's probably one of the only situations that the Glazers could actually face a popular revolt in real terms (i.e. withdrawing of financial support).
    Not only that, but the Glazers need Fergie, because he's the only one who can guarantee them continued success on the pitch, which is so essential to keeping the investors off their back.

All in all, I can't imagine the Glazers would be stupid enough to do what you're suggesting, but personally, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. 80 million of the debt paid off and the possibility of the rest of United fans waking up to realise how bad a situation the club is in. Might be a good thing in the long run, albeit not for success on the pitch [but in relation to that, I think we'd be fine if Ronaldo left, once we get another striker in, and another winger who'd be half decent ala Robinho]

good post.

watever happens, its gonna be an interesting few weeks.

carlos was great for man u because of him the likes of ronaldo, nani and anderson came to the club, we,ll get a chance to see what andersons all about, i look at football from most of the leagues they show on sky ,setanta espn the lot and seen him play for porto ,he was outstanding ,by far the better player on the picth, once nani cuts out the showpony muppetry he,ll step up to the plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Imo the Glazers don't need te money to service the debt. If they did they would be actively looking to sell Ronaldo. This whole debacle was Real madridds doing not the Glazers. I admit that they have probably thought that an extra 80mil landing in their laps would ease the pressue a bit but they have a business plan in place and tbh it seems to be working quite well - if the pitch side of things are anything to go by.

Anyway I agree with PHB. While I doubt Fergie has the power to refuse a deal for Ronaldo I do think that he has enough sway to ensure a "major" reinvestment of the fee. I'm not saying all the moey would go back in - they may look at improving facilities for the players etc but I don't see it going on debt.

These are of course all if's and buts and are possibly a load of crap - but then that's the beauty of "imo" :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Queiroz's Good Bye Letter to United Supporters
    http://www.manutd.com
    "It is with a very heavy heart that today I leave the greatest football club in the world after five fantastic years. This has been a special period in my life both personally and professionally. I have been so lucky to have had the opportunity to work in first class facilities with a staff team who are at the top of their profession.

"Our players on and off the pitch make the difference and to them also I owe a great deal of gratitude for their hard work, professionalism and most of all their performances. I feel we have in place the basis for the next generation to follow in the tradition of such world class players as Sir Bobby Charlton and George Best.

"Of course our success as a family is based on strong leadership and in The Glazer Family, The Board, David Gill and not least of all Sir Alex Ferguson we have the support and skills to stay at the top. To Sir Alex, I thank him for his faith in me and his knowledge, spirit and desire from which I will take strength and have confidence in my new role.

"I will forever be a fan and admirer of the club and also thankful that I had the opportunity to be part of such a great institution, a vast organisation but with a unique feeling of family and community. This leads me finally to our fans - local, national and international. I thank them for their fantastic support and encouragement in my time at the club, always there when we need them to support us both home and away in huge numbers.

"In conclusion I wish everyone at our club, continued success in the years to come and to continue to enjoy a brand of exciting, attractive and winning football, admired and respected the world over."

Fair play to him.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Queiroz's Good Bye Letter to United Supporters
    http://www.manutd.com

Fair play to him.
    really professonal if the showpony took a leaf out of carlos,s book , he could leave with his head held high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well we all knew it was coming, but it still really sucks to hear it confirmed.

CQ had a lot of critics 2 or 3 seasons ago when Fergie brought in the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. But there's no doubting the impact he's had on the club; bringing in a fresh continental perspective on tactics, having a tremendous network of contacts across Europe (would Nani and Anderson even be United players if it wasn't for him?) and from what we hear being a father figure to Ronaldo.

Hopefully Fergie can replace him in kind - Pako's departure from Liverpool had a visible impact on them last season (although thankfully this isn't a mid-season departure) - because this could be a bigger blow than Ronaldo leaving (if and when he finally does).

Best of luck to CQ - now I know who I'll be shouting for in 2010.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement