Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Well we all knew it was coming, but it still really sucks to hear it confirmed.

CQ had a lot of critics 2 or 3 seasons ago when Fergie brought in the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. But there's no doubting the impact he's had on the club; bringing in a fresh continental perspective on tactics, having a tremendous network of contacts across Europe (would Nani and Anderson even be United players if it wasn't for him?) and from what we hear being a father figure to Ronaldo.

Hopefully Fergie can replace him in kind - Pako's departure from Liverpool had a visible impact on them last season (although thankfully this isn't a mid-season departure) - because this could be a bigger blow than Ronaldo leaving (if and when he finally does).

Best of luck to CQ - now I know who I'll be shouting for in 2010.
    Ireland i hope dont tell me your writing us off allready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man utd have bid 20 million for spurs striker Dimitar Berbatov and hope to tie up the deal within a week

from various newspapers today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

from various newspapers today
    dont think im to keane on berbatov see what i done there, his sulkie body languge last season makes me think he,s not right for utd.altough saying that if he bangs in 20+ goals a season he can give us the two fingers after each game lol.id much rather keane not just because he,s irish its just because liverpool want him lmao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Queiroz's Good Bye Letter to United Supporters
    http://www.manutd.com
    "It is with a very heavy heart that today I leave the greatest football club in the world after five fantastic years. This has been a special period in my life both personally and professionally. I have been so lucky to have had the opportunity to work in first class facilities with a staff team who are at the top of their profession.

"Our players on and off the pitch make the difference and to them also I owe a great deal of gratitude for their hard work, professionalism and most of all their performances. I feel we have in place the basis for the next generation to follow in the tradition of such world class players as Sir Bobby Charlton and George Best.

"Of course our success as a family is based on strong leadership and in The Glazer Family, The Board, David Gill and not least of all Sir Alex Ferguson we have the support and skills to stay at the top. To Sir Alex, I thank him for his faith in me and his knowledge, spirit and desire from which I will take strength and have confidence in my new role.

"I will forever be a fan and admirer of the club and also thankful that I had the opportunity to be part of such a great institution, a vast organisation but with a unique feeling of family and community. This leads me finally to our fans - local, national and international. I thank them for their fantastic support and encouragement in my time at the club, always there when we need them to support us both home and away in huge numbers.

"In conclusion I wish everyone at our club, continued success in the years to come and to continue to enjoy a brand of exciting, attractive and winning football, admired and respected the world over."

Fair play to him.

Carlos

5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

So it seems Spurs accepted negotiations about Bebatov,current price 20mil

So it seems Spurs accepted negotiations about Bebatov,current price 20mil

Only the papers reporting it at the moment but having said that the Guardian is a fairly reliable paper.

I am reading only serbian sports news:D
    They said Spurs trying just to rise amount during negotiations but current offer is 20mil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Do United have the money, or will it be more borrowings?

I think Spurs may have encouraged the Keane to Liverpool story in an attempt to up the price of both parties. They'll only want to sell one of them, so the highest bid for whatever player will win out.

Des wrote: »
    Do United have the money, or will it be more borrowings?

I think Spurs may have encouraged the Keane to Liverpool story in an attempt to up the price of both parties. They'll only want to sell one of them, so the highest bid for whatever player will win out.

I think Keane could possibly be a smokescreen for Benitez to sign who he really wants (possibly Villa) as he's afraid of Chelski coming in an gazumping their offer at the 11th hour as they have done in the past. I however am willing to be corrected should Keane eventually sign for Liverpool at some stage this summer.

• Advertisement

I just dont get who will Spurs buy if they sell both,Berbatov and Keane,they would remain out of good striker

I just dont get who will Spurs buy if they sell both,Berbatov and Keane,they would remain out of good striker

The REAL Luis Garcia :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des wrote: »
    The REAL Luis Garcia :pac:

reported.

Yeah i heard about that,not sure will he accomplished anyway expectations in 1st season as newbie,Berbatov and Keane are experienced and if Spurs want 4th place this year i think they can experiment with strikers and stay without both standard

Why reported?

Why reported?

Because Mr. Alan can't handle the truth.

• Advertisement

twas a joke Delija. Only one REAL Luis Garcia ;)

Yeah,but that REAL now sucks,right?

dont make me report you mate!;)

Dont make me report you coz of reporting:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I'm reporting the overuse of the words "Luis Garcia" on this forum. That's surely a ban

Pele has told Ronaldo to honour his contract.
    Pele for Fifa president!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I dont want Berbatov to come really. Id much prefer Huntelaar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Anyone else watching the game at the moment?

Pretty boring at the moment, though Aberdeen just had a goal disallowed.

????
    Neville-Brown-Vidic-Silvestre
    Fletcher-Carrick-Scholes-Giggs
    Rooney-????

Still trying to figure out the team. Mised the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

how many pre-season friendlies do MUTV have? I might ring up Sky and turn it on for a month

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

dubmick wrote: »
    how many pre-season friendlies do MUTV have? I might ring up Sky and turn it on for a month

8 by the looks of it

http://liveonsat.com/foot_friendy_club.php?start_dd=12&start_mm=07&start_yyyy=2008&end_dd=29&end_mm=09&end_yyyy=2008

Carrick puts United one up from the penalty spot right on half time.

For those who dont have MUTV,the game is on

http://www.justin.tv/pehtv

Aquos76 wrote: »
    For those who dont have MUTV,the game is on

http://www.justin.tv/pehtv

Aquos76

5.gif

watching it on Bet365, great stream

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    I dont want Berbatov to come really. Id much prefer Huntelaar.

I said same few times already,Berbatov just doesnt look so good and worth of so huge money to me

2-0 United, good header from Rooney

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

something happen carrick?

mayordenis wrote: »
    something happen carrick?

??

He is still playing

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

sorry I've been had,

was told he broke he leg - obvious lies - sorry.

On the subject of CQ's replacement I wonder if this man will be in the frame as has been rumoured:

eric-cantona.jpg

He hasn't got much coaching experience but they've got to start somewhere and It would be f**king fantastic if ''The King'' came back to OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Just imagine the training techniques he'd bring in.... Fitness Drills: Chasing seagulls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

On the subject of CQ's replacement I wonder if this man will be in the frame as has been rumoured:

eric-cantona.jpg

He hasn't got much coaching experience but they've got to start somewhere and It would be f**king fantastic if ''The King'' came back to OT.
    Id love to see him back at the club but not as assisant manager, not yet, he just isnt experienced enough and has no coaching experience. Maybe bring him in as a coach and see how he gets on but the assisant manager is far too important a job to give to a rookie imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No chance in hell Cantona will be named Number 2.

No real coaching experience, no new training methodologies, no extensive list of european contacts. He just doesn't fit the bill.

Would be delighted to see him come back as a coach though, and see if he can indeed develop into a number 2, even a potential new United manager.

mayordenis wrote: »
    sorry I've been had,

was told he broke he leg - obvious lies - sorry.

thats what your fellow pool supporters over on rawk spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=international_feed/08/07/13/SOCCER_Spa-Real_Madrid_Robinho.html

ROBINHO SEES HIS FUTURE WITH MADRID

Robinho insists he wants to stay at Real Madrid next season and not be used in any deal to bring Cristiano Ronaldo to the Bernabeu.

Robinho's future in Spain has been cast into doubt with media speculation suggesting he could be the fall guy in Madrid's pursuit of Manchester United ace Ronaldo.

One option appears that Robinho will be sold to another club in order to help fund a big-money bid for Ronaldo, while it has also been mooted that the 24-year-old Brazilian could be included in a part-exchange deal for the Portugal international.

However, Robinho, who has been linked to Premier League side Chelsea, is adamant that neither of those options are preferable to him, telling Spanish newspaper AS: "I hope to remain at Real Madrid this year.

"Now I am only thinking about Madrid. I am not prepared to enter into the operation to sign Cristiano."

Am I right in thinking that Ramos and Sneijder said the same thing? If Madrid don't have the cash, then it's hard to see Ronaldo leaving really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Atletico Madrid's Sergio Aguerro subject of bid by Man Utd
    Sunday 13 July 2008 - 07:23:45 - Click to post or view

Jose Segui, Aguerro's agent says that a top English side are about to make a bid for his client Sergio Aguerro, and it is not Chelsea.

The Atletico Madrid striker has a good relationship with his Argentina international team mate Carlos Tevez and he has told him how good it is to play for the European Champions.

Segui said yesterday: "I have had interest from a leading English team and they have asked me to approach Atletico with a bid. I cannot say more until i have spoken to the club about the offer. All i can tell you is that it is one of the best teams in Europe and it's not Chelsea."

Aguerro is reported to be valued at around £35 million and as he is much younger than Tottenham's Berbatov. At 20 years old he is perfect for Ferguson's philosophy of bringing in young stars to slot into the team, and he believes Tevez can help him to settle in Manchester.

Aguerro has recently stated that he is very happy at Madrid, but an offer from the European Champions may sway him to change his mind.
    http://footylatest.com/news/news.php?extend.1167
    Something here too:
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=774678

can't find it anywhere else... Think that could be agent talk. Might not even be utd. Still if it's true could be interesting for english football.

I'd actually be surprised if it was united. But there isn't much talk of aguerro atm, so could be a good time to try and nab him.

On berb - the news of the world reported today that as soon as spurs get a replacement for him, he's ours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Aguero is imo the best young talent in football today. Problem is, he isn't really hugely different to what we have, well he is, but he doesn't really offer us what we want from say Berbatov.

Excellent player though, great signing for any top club. Can't see Arsenal spunking that much money though, would Liverpool have the cash? Either way, can't see Atletico selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Given that Fergie has expressed his point that he will only make one summer signing and given that he was promised in the region of 30million pounds per year by the Glazier's, I could see our potential new striker being worth a fair amount. That rules Aguero in.

I say we should bring Forlan with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

PHB wrote: »
    Aguero is imo the best young talent in football today. Problem is, he isn't really hugely different to what we have, well he is, but he doesn't really offer us what we want from say Berbatov.

Excellent player though, great signing for any top club. Can't see Arsenal spunking that much money though, would Liverpool have the cash? Either way, can't see Atletico selling.

In the past, Atletico have been a selling club really. But I think they did express that they wouldn't be selling anyone, as they push for La Liga and the CL.

Then again, he is a big fish in a relatively small pond. Looking at the Atletico squad, they have plenty of good players (Simao, Motta, Reyes) without having anyone great like Aguero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »

Why would United want another 'in the hole' striker ? Wouldnt make sense. He is a great player though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tusky wrote: »
    Why would United want another 'in the hole' striker ? Wouldnt make sense. He is a great player though.

what's the story with Tevez actually? have they sorted out his transfer or will be still be on loan for another year?

i could see them perhaps going for Aguero if they were uncertain of Tevez staying long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I seriously doubt Aguero will leave Atletico... They let Torres leave because they knew they had a potentially better player in Aguero.. They also shelled out quite a bit of dosh for him, and as the team is now fighting for the Liga and is in the CL, I can see them holding onto their stars...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

what's the story with Tevez actually? have they sorted out his transfer or will be still be on loan for another year?

i could see them perhaps going for Aguero if they were uncertain of Tevez staying long term.

we have him on loan til the summer with an option to make it permanent for a set fee. from what i know anyway.

LIVERPOOL, England (AFP) - Liverpool's new assistant manager Sammy Lee on Sunday said the Anfield outfit can outshine their Premier League rivals and end the club's 19-year wait for title glory.
    "There are three very good teams," Lee told the club's website. "We are not that far away and I feel we have proven on many occasions over the past four or five years that we can be better than them.
    "Not as good as - but better."
    Last season Liverpool came fourth in England's top flight behind champions Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.
    "I feel we are going in the right way. I feel with just a little bit of tweaking here and there we will not be far off," said Lee, who returned to the club in May as Rafael Benitez's second in charge.
    "Only time will tell, but everyone is striving and working hard to try and make sure we can close that gap and overhaul it."
    As a player Lee enjoyed nine fruitful years at Anfield, making almost 300 first-team appearances and scoring 19 goals as the club won three first division titles and two European Cups in the early 1980s.
    After finishing his career at Bolton Wanderers, Lee was invited to join the Liverpool coaching staff by manager Graeme Souness in 1993, going on to help Gerard Houllier steer the club to a Premier League runners-up spot in 2002.
    He joined Sven-Goran Eriksson's England national team set-up on a full-time basis in 2004 and was appointed Sam Allardyce's assistant at Bolton in 2005.
    "The attention to detail of Rafa and his staff is fantastic," said Lee of his new boss and his backroom team.
    "It's a joy to watch. They look at every facet of every player and work out how they can maximise and get the best out of every player. That for me is an education.
    "All the top men have their own ideas, but the best ones are also prepared to listen to other ideas and decide how much of that input they want to implement."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080713/wl_uk_afp/fblengprliverpoollee_080713151147

:D

Ahh yes it's that time of year again when Liverpool players and coaches come out with the immortal words ''This year will be our year'' :D

Hey i also saw on some web page Tevez is on loan in Corinthians but i thought its some mistake,i wanted to ask here anyway,thats true,but why the hell that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eZe^ wrote: »
    I seriously doubt Aguero will leave Atletico... They let Torres leave because they knew they had a potentially better player in Aguero.. They also shelled out quite a bit of dosh for him, and as the team is now fighting for the Liga and is in the CL, I can see them holding onto their stars...

all players in Spain though have buy out clauses? it' quite possible that this may not be the ridiculous fee they normally are especially considering how much he was in demand prior to his move.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement