Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    WHAT the fffffffff do you mean by this????????????????????

He's pointing out that over the last few seasons Chelsea have a nasty habit of signing guys we are linked with, having never had any previous reported interest. As such, we think u are Abramovich in disguise!!

Are you Roman, Are you Roman, Are you Roman in disguise?! Are you Roman in disguise!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Thats the way i see it anyway. Be great if he was willing to sit on the bench, id take him in a heartbeat but he wouldnt and that would be distruptive.

Sneijder is WAY too small IMO. But Casillas.....now you're talking!

Sneijder may be small, but he is a fantastic player. Maybe less wing-orientated than he once was, or i'd like him to be, but a cracking player - one of the best for Real this season.

Tauren wrote: »
    Sneijder may be small, but he is a fantastic player. Maybe less wing-orientated than he once was, or i'd like him to be, but a cracking player - one of the best for Real this season.

Absolutely, agree, great player, very versatile too, u could play him happily down either flank.

My point iabout small is important though. united have Tevez, Rooney, Nani, Anderson, Park, Giggs, Evra, Carrick and Ronaldo as our main attacking players. Bar Ronaldo, and maybe Carrick, none of those players pose any sort of aerial threat. Rooney and Tevez are too short, they will get stuck in physically and make themselves a nuisance but we dont have a guy who will give defenders a hard time by getting onto the end of some of the crosses that we deliver. case in point the CL Final. Evra, Ronaldo, Rooney and later Nani all got numerous crosses in which, if we had a physical striker, someone like a Dean Ashton, we may have scored more goals from.

I dont think we need any more pipsqueaks in our team!!

Bit of an anniversary today lads. 9 years ago today!!

But Sneijder would be the one putting the balls in! doesn't need to be big for that!

Anyway, we ain't selling Ronaldo!

We should make up our own rumours about Madrid and unsettle their players. (maybe thats what United are doing! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I'm not a Man Utd fan but that game is one of the most memorable events I have ever witnessed in my life. In football terms, it ranks among the famous Newcastle V Liverpool '4-3' score games all those years ago.

Kevster wrote: »
    I'm not a Man Utd fan but that game is one of the most memorable events I have ever witnessed in my life. In football terms, it ranks among the famous Newcastle V Liverpool '4-3' score games all those years ago.

"Barnes, Rush, Barnes, Rush....Collymore closING IN!!" Title to United. Awesome!:cool:

I couldnt believe it, I was all set to cry! We were down and out in everyones eyes, especially when the corner came in and they seemed to clear.

Once we equalised I thought we'd win but I NEVER imagined it'd be before extra time! Unreal!! i can imagine the first day of pre season for Bayern after that they worked on defending corners....2 in a minute....cant even imagine how gutting it must have been to lose that way.

I remeber seeing a great vid on YouTube a while back - it was footage of the game just after the second goal All the Munish player were just sitting on the ground, they couldn't belive it. Collina had to come over to a few of them to tell them to get up - there was still time to be played.

I can't image had those players felt - they had one hand on the trophy..

• Advertisement

Sammy Kuffor took it worse than anyone else. The equaliser completely demoralised them. Was the only time you'll really see a German team crumble.

The trophy was dressed in the Munich colours and was in the elevator down from the room it was kept in when United scored. they had to bring it all the way back up and redress it after olé did it!

20LÉgend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

...can you imagine what they must have felt though (the Bayern players)? I think they won it the year after though, so fair play to them.

When Man U equalised I was delighted too because I had extra-time to look forward to! ....then, when they got the second, I was pissed off! hehe, overall though, I'm glad they won.

PS - Everton Supporter here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

"Barnes, Rush, Barnes, Rush....Collymore closING IN!!" Title to United. Awesome!:cool:

post of the week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

I can't image had those players felt - they had two hands on the trophy..

FYP

...can you imagine what they must have felt though (the Bayern players)? I think they won it the year after though, so fair play to them.

When Man U equalised I was delighted too because I had extra-time to look forward to! ....then, when they got the second, I was pissed off! hehe, overall though, I'm glad they won.

PS - Everton Supporter here.

Got a nice little pay-off from us this summer - for winning the league and CL with Rooney in the team - a couple of million if I remember rightly!

As for Bayern.... wish I could find that YouTube video, really showed how crushed they were. Great day. Was delighted to see Kuffor blubbering and hitting the ground, I seem to remember he had been slagging the United side off, desite them only managing to get two very, very lucky draws in the group stage.

Sammy Kuffor took it worse than anyone else. The equaliser completely demoralised them. Was the only time you'll really see a German team crumble.

The trophy was dressed in the Munich colours and was in the elevator down from the room it was kept in when United scored. they had to bring it all the way back up and redress it after olé did it!

20LÉgend!!

On a sad note did Best not leave the game about a min or so before Teddy's goal .

• Advertisement

Yep - and i bet he is not the only United fan to have missed the goal.

My liverpool supporting mate almost missed their comeback in 1005 cause he gave up on them at half time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My liverpool supporting mate almost missed their comeback in 1005 cause he gave up on them at half time.
    Now there is a team with history. :D

Some classic quotes!
    "Yet again in the crucial game the English team has proven inferior to the German team. Maybe I shouldn't say it, but I promise never to say it ever again. Football, as Gary Linekar once said, is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win."
    Marcel Reif German TV Commentator

"Are you crazy?"
    Gerhard Aigner UEFA General Secretary inside the stadium having just finished putting Bayern's ribbons on the trophy when an aide rushes in to tell him to put Manchester United's colours on

"The lift took a half-minute to arrive, then you had to go through a long hall, through several rooms and through the dressing room area and because we were inside we never heard a thing. I then saw out onto the pitch and I was confused. I thought, it cannot be, the winners are crying and the losers are dancing."
    Lennart Johansson UEFA President post match

I know the jokes about the liverpool and the history channel but 1005 even for them :D:D

PS just seen DESF got there first

they invented football. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

they invented football. :D

****ing right :cool:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ****ing right :cool:

:D

Unbelievable - the first thing I see you post in a United thread since before the CL final and its that! BUGGER!

:D

i was away sorry!

well done Utd, but it doesnt count cause it was won and penos surely?! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

i was away sorry!

Nah, it counts properly cos they won the league to qualify ('99 aside) ;)

i was away sorry!

It counts - we managed to win the league too - so we can say we were the best in the league and in europe - its not like we finished 5th, and couldn't even claim to be the best in the city!:D

I hate the summer now - I don't have time off from school and there isn't enough interesting football on TV. Roll on August.

i was away sorry!

How was the hol (takes it to the OT thread!!)?

No it counts cos now it suits us!! Like the way 18-5 conveniently leaves out FA Cups. Or how 17-3-11 leaves out League Cups etc etc!! All about twisting an argument to suit your team!! Everyone does it!! :pac::pac: haha!

I have never begrudged L'pools win in 2005 from the winning on pens point of view...I just disputed the penalty that was given! But no doubt ya's deserved it and prob would have scored anyway, given the momentum. (goes and gets sick!)

Did u watch the match or did ya manage to dodge it?

It counts - we managed to win the league too - so we can say we were the best in the league and in europe - its not like we finished 5th, and couldn't even claim to be the best in the city!:D

I hate the summer now - I don't have time off from school and there isn't enough interesting football on TV. Roll on August.

No time of school!?! Haha! hate that!

Euro 2008 followed by an almost immediate beginning to the pres eason and then Prem in August, these summers are easier cos there's a massive tournament on all through June!

First of todays batch of the 20 or so stories per day about Ronaldo.

Same old **** "Im happy but I want to play in Spain, but Im ahppy at man United but nobody knows the future" kind of thing.

No time of school!?! Haha! hate that!

Euro 2008 followed by an almost immediate beginning to the pres eason and then Prem in August, these summers are easier cos there's a massive tournament on all through June!
    Massive - it isn't massive. Neither Citeh nor England are in it so it can't be that big. Sky Sports don't seem to be talking about it either...

First of todays batch of the 20 or so stories per day about Ronaldo.

Same old **** "Im happy but I want to play in Spain, but Im ahppy at man United but nobody knows the future" kind of thing.
    i can just imagine the reports these days.

"So how are you today Ronaldo?"

"Not great, have a cold, could be better"

EXCLUSIVE: Ronaldo hates cold England; Madrid would be better!

• Advertisement

Massive - it isn't massive. Neither Citeh nor England are in it so it can't be that big. Sky Sports don't seem to be talking about it either...

Stockport u mean! Xavi, is that u, have u hacked Taurens account?? Give it back!!

Its very massive, in fact I think from a purists point of view its gonna be a great tournament. Italy, France, Holland and Romania in the same group, Henke Larsson back for sweden, Spain dropping the egos and looking solid, Germany hopefully continuing on from 2006 and playing exciting football...its all set up. As long as the Swiss get stuffed Im happy!!

haha yea they twist anything around.

Reporter: "Ronaldo, we're going to show you a picture of a dead dog, tell us, how does it make you feel?"

Ronaldo: "Im very unhappy. I think I want to leave the room and get sick."

Headline "Ronaldo: Im very unhappy...I want to leave...im sick of it"

Did u watch the match or did ya manage to dodge it?

Yea i watched it. good match. feared it was gonna be Utds when Chelsea couldnt get a second, wood work twice and all that. Thought Wes Brown was your best player. Ronaldo did well when Utd were on top, hard for him to have an impact when ye werent, not his fault. Utd were excellent for first 35 mins, then thought it was pretty much all Chelsea for the rest.

When it was becoming apparent that it was probably going to penos, i said to my mate, perfect scenario, Chelsea win scoring 5, Utd lose scoring 4 with Ronaldo missing......sooooo close, hate John Terry :(
    Massive - it isn't massive.Sky Sports don't seem to be talking about it either...

Have noticed that and thought it hilarious! almost forgot there was even a tournament on tbh!

Edit: on the Ronaldo thing lads, no doubting that the media is loving it, but Ronaldo is feeding them daily with his ambiguity. strange scenario.

I think Ronnie is just being honest. It isn't helping, but he is just being honest. He says he is happ at United, and has said it is the perfect place for him to be at the moment. He says he would like to play in Spain one day, and for Madrid - this doesn't surprise anyone.He isn't saying he wants to leave now, but wants to, one day in the future, play in Spain. Fair play to the lad, if i had his ability i'd probably want to sample some different leagues and clubs too.

I think Fergie was quite honest about it yesterday too - he said at the moment he doesn't see Ronnie leaving, but when he gets to 25/26 he may want to move on and test himself somewhere else, and that United would have to be winning CL's to keep him at United. Which is fair enough as Fergie said himself.

wats he mean by, we'll have more info/details in the next 2 to 3 weeks Tauren?

is he signing a new deal?

wats he mean by, we'll have more info/details in the next 2 to 3 weeks Tauren?

is he signing a new deal?
    I think so - i remember reading a while back that talks were at an advanced stage and something could have been signed by the end of the season. However, I am also reading now that talks over a new contract are planned. the 2/3 week thing is confusing and annoying. He has also said that he has a great contract at United and that it could be better very soon (which would imply a new contract).

I'm fairly confident he'll be playing for United next season, but the more seasons that pass, the less likely it will be that we keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

exactly this is getting a joke and the problem is with the questions keep being put to him he may get sick of it and leave as a result of the rediculous media circus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,713 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Footballers my be millionaires but there not the most intelligent creatures.

Ronaldo should just say he is staying even if he is not, he is bringing alot of flack on himself from the media.

One of his stupid qoutes the other days was:

"I don't promise anything, not even to my mother....I promise to do my best in the euros...."

See...stupid. :D

Boggles wrote: »

"I don't promise anything, not even to my mother....I promise to do my best in the euros...."

you could put that down to his lack of english as his first language now, rather than stupidity!!

Footballers my be millionaires but there not the most intelligent creatures.

Ronaldo should just say he is staying even if he is not, he is bringing alot of flack on himself from the media.

That made me laugh when i heard it., I tried to justify it "Maybe he ment.....nope, he's stoooopid!":D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,713 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

you could put that down to his lack of english as his first language now, rather than stupidity!!

He said it in Portuguese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ronaldo signed a big contract last summer, didnt he?

I don't think all this talk can be put down to English being his second-language, or about him just being honest.

To me, he's either:

a) looking for a move to Real
    b) looking for a new contract
    c) having a bit of fun with the press

All three are quite possible, and I'd lean towards B or C being the case, though I wouldnt bet against A!

Marca reckons that Man Utd want Robinho, Ramos and 50 million sterling for Ronaldo. That would be an amazing piece of business. In Robinho, they'd have a replacement for Ronaldo, Ramos would solve their right-back problem as well as cover centre-back, and 50 million would go some way to bringing in a new top class striker!

Obviously it's silly paper-talk, but then again Real are a bit nuts.

He said it in Portuguese.

oh...........well he's got a good footballing brain, he doesnt need the other one!

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=94877

Cristiano Ronaldo insists he is only thinking of staying at Manchester United.

In an interview with Portuguese newspaper Publico, the 23-year-old confirmed he would like to play in Spain one day but that he is currently satisfied with life in England.

"There is nothing certain at the moment," Ronaldo said. "The press always make stories about interest from other teams, not only from Madrid, also from Barcelona.

"On one hand it's good and means that they know your value as a player and think you can be a good reinforcement for other teams.

"But my head is in Manchester because it is the club that, at the moment, puts me in the best condition and that I'm happy at.

"Now, as I have said many times, only God knows the future.

"I have never hid from anyone that I would like to play in Spain one day. It's a dream, but sometimes dreams don't happen.

"I can guarantee that I am happy at Manchester United and that I would love to continue."

EXCLUSIVE: RONALDO DREAMS OF MADRID!

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=94877

Cristiano Ronaldo insists he is only thinking of staying at Manchester United.

In an interview with Portuguese newspaper Publico, the 23-year-old confirmed he would like to play in Spain one day but that he is currently satisfied with life in England.

"There is nothing certain at the moment," Ronaldo said. "The press always make stories about interest from other teams, not only from Madrid, also from Barcelona.

"On one hand it's good and means that they know your value as a player and think you can be a good reinforcement for other teams.

"But my head is in Manchester because it is the club that, at the moment, puts me in the best condition and that I'm happy at.

"Now, as I have said many times, only God knows the future.

"I have never hid from anyone that I would like to play in Spain one day. It's a dream, but sometimes dreams don't happen.

"I can guarantee that I am happy at Manchester United and that I would love to continue."

EXCLUSIVE: RONALDO DREAMS OF MADRID!

Exclusive: Only God can help me, I wont hide, I want Madrid!!

Thats what 3 Ronaldo stories today?? Here's another!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Exclusive: Only God can help me, I wont hide, I want Madrid!!

Thats what 3 Ronaldo stories today?? Here's another!!
    Its sickening at this stage and its gonna be 3 months of it too.

• Advertisement

Read this yesterday, I can only imagine!!

Also Hopefully Manucho is arriving in July

Cruijff wrote: »
    Its sickening at this stage and its gonna be 3 months of it too.

unless Ronaldo squashes the rumours.

Which he wont, remember its all about him, hence why he fell on the ground fter the penalties because otherwise he'd be amongst team mates and hard for the cameras to find, which is just thoroughly unacceptable.

He's loving this.

I don't think he can to be honest with you.

Even if he said in his next interview that he will definitely be a United player next season, there would be stories in the paper the next day saying that things were different behind the scenes, and that Real had a bumper offer ready yada yada yada.

The only way out of it, this summer, and probably every summer, is to sign a new contract.

I don't think he can to be honest with you.

Even if he said in his next interview that he will definitely be a United player next season, there would be stories in the paper the next day saying that things were different behind the scenes, and that Real had a bumper offer ready yada yada yada.

The only way out of it, this summer, and probably every summer, is to sign a new contract.

If he were to say

"Listen, Im staying here and under no circumstances will I be joinin Real Madrid. Im hapy here, my friends are here, I dont want to leave, the club dont want to sell me, end of story"

then he'd put it to bed.

As it is he keeps saying "I dream of Spain" and "2-3 weeks" which is just egging the media on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement