Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Which he wont, remember its all about him, hence why he fell on the ground fter the penalties because otherwise he'd be amongst team mates and hard for the cameras to find, which is just thoroughly unacceptable.

He's loving this.

Seriously? I honestly doubt that is why he did it - he is an emotional lad as we all know. He was delighted his team had won and, more importantly probably, that he was not the one to cost them victory as it had looked it would turn out.

If he had scored his penalty he prob would have been up with the players, but that isn't how it turned out. I suppose Nani jumping the advertising hordings wasto get the cameras all on him. Or Rooney skipping away, I suppose that was to get all the attention. I suppose terry sat with his head between his knees cause he wanted the camera on him...

If he were to say

"Listen, Im staying here and under no circumstances will I be joinin Real Madrid. Im hapy here, my friends are here, I dont want to leave, the club dont want to sell me, end of story"

then he'd put it to bed.

As it is he keeps saying "I dream of Spain" and "2-3 weeks" which is just egging the media on.

"I can guarantee that I am happy at Manchester United and that I would love to continue."

Tauren wrote: »
    Seriously? I honestly doubt that is why he did it - he is an emotional lad as we all know. He was delighted his team had won and, more importantly probably, that he was not the one to cost them victory as it had looked it would turn out.

If he had scored his penalty he prob would have been up with the players, but that isn't how it turned out. I suppose Nani jumping the advertising hordings wasto get the cameras all on him. Or Rooney skipping away, I suppose that was to get all the attention. I suppose terry sat with his head between his knees cause he wanted the camera on him...

Im United through and through but Im a realist. How about Carrick or Giggs who must have been thinking their missin relatively easy chances may end up costing us?

Rooney celebrated with the team, as did Nani, Evra etc. They all congratulated Edwin before elebrating. Evra went straight to the fans after congratulating Edwin. Ronaldo lay on the pitch on his own.

What else was Terry gonna do, jump around in circles? Fact is, if it was an isolated incident Id say it was relief but Ive always disliked this about Ronaldo....Rooney will slip his in with a wonderful assist and all Ron will have to do is hit the target to score, Wayne did the hard work and when he scored he runs off on his own to mop up the adulation. When Rooney or Tevez score off a wonderful assist the 1st thing they do is celebrate with the person that gave them the assist, See how Scholes went straight to Brown after Rons goal to congratulate him on the cross? Look at Tevezs goal vs Boro, 1-2 with Rooney, backheel ..goal. 1st thing Tevez does is go to Rooney. U NEVER see Ronaldo do it which is why I suspect that he goes out of his way to garner attention, kinda like he is with this media parade of cntradictory statements..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ronaldo is a meme. No denying that.

On a side note lads, whats with the llllllllllllllllooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnngggggggg sigs? (see attached)

http://www.premiershiplatest.com/news/milan-linked-man-united-s-evra-5510440.html

Manchester United will have to match Patrice Evra’s expectation over a new deal as AC Milan are reportedly interested in the French left-back.

The 27-year-old enters the final season on his existing deal and Le Parisien claims that Milan are hoping to sign Evra on a free transfer at the end of next season.

Evra, who moved to Old Trafford from AS Monaco in 2006, has become a key player for Sir Alex Ferguson’s side.

It is reported that Evra is asking for £3.5m per year, and after Ferguson was successful in keeping Wes Brown, it is likely that the left-back’s future assumes much importance in preparation for the next season.

Have to say that i really don't like this trend of letting contracts get to the final season before opening talks. On the figures above, Evra seems to be demanding about 70k per year - seems fair to me; he is one of our best players and that contract would put him on par with Vidic, he well deserves that. There has been talk that he wants parity with Rooney/Ronaldo/Rio which while hard to argue against, would be pushing it for some reason (IMO) but if his demand really is just 70k then i don't think there should be any issues in getting his contract tied up. I'd hate to lose him next summer for free.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

He's worth that at least, imagine trying to get a left full as good as him again?

Pay the man his money, pay him pay him pay him!!!

Pay him. End of. Best left back in world football right now. Would be a travesty to lose him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

Show him the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

DaveyGem wrote: »
    Show him the money

+1 i agree, come on lads, pay the man!

All he needs is Jerry Maguire as his agent though, then he;s sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

They have contract meeting this week (May 29th) so hopefully it will be sorted then.

They have contract meeting this week (May 29th) so hopefully it will be sorted then.

Lets hope so.He's as odd as two left feet mind you.

Dedicating his CL win to Prince Albert and all that!

Lets hope so.He's as odd as two left feet mind you.

Dedicating his CL win to Prince Albert and all that!

Plus he doesn't drink.:eek:

Unlike the legends that are Vidic and Brown. The last two to leave the party Wednesday night/thursday morning. Leaving Vidic too hungover to play against Ireland at the weekend. The same for John O'Shea who was "rested" even though he hasn't played a game in two three weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Plus he has 26 siblings!!! Madness, easily one of the strangest fellows in football, but in my mind easily the best left back in the world. Pay him.

Neil, what are you doing? Are you actually trying to find reasons why Ronaldo should leave? Your eating up everything the media are feeding you. Ronaldo cries all the time, hes happy here for now, he will leave one day. Accept it and be happy we are lucky enough to have this guy win trophies for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Plus he has 26 siblings!!!

What?

He's one of 27 Children.

His ma must be as wide as the bleedin' Nile. :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Apparently the first thing Evra did when he met his new teammates at United was ask where the nearest church was so he could thank God. Freak.

No Christians in our team!

Evra is an absolute legend!

Mikey, Im not eating up the media, Ive always said Id never think of Ronaldo in the saeme positive manner as I do with the likes of Rooney/Tevez etc cos he's a me-me. I base that on his demeanour over the last few years. I like the bloke but he loves the attention.

27 children?! Wow, if theyre anything like him then theyre an odd bunch!

You would think one of them would be a right footed clone.

Mikey, Im not eating up the media, Ive always said Id never think of Ronaldo in the saeme positive manner as I do with the likes of Rooney/Tevez etc cos he's a me-me. I base that on his demeanour over the last few years. I like the bloke but he loves the attention.

Ok i see what you mean. But Ronaldo would be nowhere without his arrogance, its a feature of his game, same way as it was with Cantona, he liked to play with the media too "When the seagull..." etc.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Ok i see what you mean. But Ronaldo would be nowhere without his arrogance, its a feature of his game, same way as it was with Cantona, he liked to play with the media too "When the seagull..." etc.

The difference is, you always knew King Eric was at OT for life.

Exept when he played for Leeds, and then quit while in his prime to try and be an actor. (Not having a go at Eirc the King who we drink a drink a drink to, just pointing out how they were both erratic characters.)

Ronaldo said hes not leaving this summer, i belive him. I think he will go when Ferguson does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sorry if this has been posted already but I thought this was a hilarious video...

:D

Sorry if this has been posted already but I thought this was a hilarious video...

Great Save!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Also Hopefully Manucho is arriving in July

Now there's some good news. Haven't seen him play a full match but he's scored some cracking goals between the ANC and out in Greece. It'll be good to have a bit more of a physical presence up top. If he turns out to be an injury-free version of Saha I'll be delighted.

As for Evra, he's the best left-back in the world by a country mile. It would be a travesty if he left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

It counts - we managed to win the league too - so we can say we were the best in the league and in europe - its not like we finished 5th, and couldn't even claim to be the best in the city!:D

POTM

• Advertisement

DaveyGem wrote: »
    Show him the money

Message to Gill: Give Evra whatever he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Message to Gill: Give Evra whatever he wants.
    +1

2075298020103265676S600x600Q85.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

2075298020103265676S600x600Q85.jpg

I Love it!1: :D:D

2893646980103265676S600x600Q85.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Brilliant, although I am coming around to thinking it was harsh on him, its only taken me 5 days. :D

stupid vid, imho

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

2893646980103265676S600x600Q85.jpg

Love it!!!
    I was absolutely and utterly delighted when that dog Terry missed his penalty.
    And I'm not even a United supporter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

horseflesh wrote: »
    Love it!!!
    I was absolutely and utterly delighted when that dog Terry missed his penalty.
    And I'm not even a United supporter :D
    That say's it all!

And todays transfer rumours start up....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/05/27/exclusive-manchester-united-to-spend-50m-on-transfers-in-14-days-89520-20430954/

Sir Alex Ferguson has told the Manchester United board he wants to conclude his £50million summer transfer spending within the next fortnight.

Fergie wants to build swiftly on United's Premier League and Champions League double triumph by bolstering his squad before the start of the mad summer scramble for players.

United completed the signings of Nani, Anderson and Owen Hargreaves within two weeks of the end of last season and Fergie wants this summer's business done before he goes on his annual summer holiday to the exclusive resort of Cap Ferrat in the South of France next week.

Top of Fergie's wanted list are Sevilla's Brazilian duo, striker Luis Fabiano and defender Daniel Alves, who are likely to cost United a combined £30million.
    Advertisement

Alves is seen as Gary Neville's permanent replacement at right-back, but Fergie remains keen on Manchester City and England defender Micah Richards, despite his likely £20m price tag.

There is likely to be a maximum of four new faces at United this summer, while three departures are inevitable - defenders Mikael Silvestre and Gerard Pique, as well as injury-plagued striker Louis Saha.

I still don't get this Fabiano interest, we didn't think he was good enough when he moved to Porto, and again didn't think he was good enough when he went from Porto to Seville. He has a very good goal-scoring record, but i have never really seen him be a dominating forward, and i think Kanoute is the more important player in that partnership. If he could get the same amount of goals for us as he did for Seville last season he would prove to be a very, very good signing, and lets face it - as long as he is fit and can be picked he is an improvement on Saha.

I also don't think there is any real chance of getting either Richards or Alves; I hope there are alternate targets picked out.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=94944

Hull City remain hopeful of securing Manchester United striker Fraizer Campbell for a new loan next season.

Campbell, 20, has returned after 15 goals but the top-flight new boys hope to get him back if he fails to break into the Reds squad.

Hopefully this is true - I don't think Campbel will get much of a look in next season with us. I can see us signing a new striker, and that would put Campbel vying for 4th sport with Manucho, and I reckon Manucho would get the nod cause he is more physically imposing. A loan to Hull for the year would give him premiership action, which is what he really needs at this stage of his career.

And Ronnie story No.1 for the day:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=94994

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has risked the wrath of Manchester United by urging Real Madrid to continue their pursuit of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Torres, on international duty with Spain, said: "I have seen the figures mentioned and it is a lot of money but I would tell Real Madrid, almost at any price, it would be a great deal. But that is not my decision."

Keep your face out of it Torres, it has got nothing to do with you, you jerk. I thought he had more class than this - No Comment, Torres, you jerk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd also take Kanoute over Fabiano. He's more suited to the Premiership, and has a proven goal-scoring record here. He'd compliment Man Utd's current options rather well too. He also finished top-scorer in Spain last year, didnt he?

There are ownership issues regarding Fabiano apparently. I've read that he may be available for as little at 8 million, or that any deal may prove too complicated, in the wake of the Macherano/Tevez saga, as a 3rd party is involved.

Incidently, have Man Utd made Tevez' loan deal permanent yet? When does the loan run out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I'd also take Kanoute over Fabiano. He's more suited to the Premiership, and has a proven goal-scoring record here. He'd compliment Man Utd's current options rather well too. He also finished top-scorer in Spain last year, didnt he?

There are ownership issues regarding Fabiano apparently. I've read that he may be available for as little at 8 million, or that any deal may prove too complicated, in the wake of the Macherano/Tevez saga, as a 3rd party is involved.

Incidently, have Man Utd made Tevez' loan deal permanent yet? When does the loan run out?
    Still not permanent NBM, runs out next summer I believe.

i'm not sure what exactly the 7/8million figure over Fabiano's head refers to. My understanding is that it would be 7 or 8 million to buy him from Seville; but that would still leave a chunk of his ownership with the 3rd party - so we'd have to buy that out too to satisfy the Premier League requirements which are in place from this coming season. I can't see the 7million figure being completely accurate from a 100% ownership point of view (if there is any truth in the 7million figure to begin with) it is just too low, especially considering the 3rd party ownership.

With regards to Tevez, he is still on loan with us, and that is due to run out at the end of this coming season, but i think we already have a deal in place for a 3rd year - as far as i know tevez's own contract with us is more than 2 years long. I have read that Fergie wants Gill to sort out the Tevez situation this summer, rather than waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's absolutely hilarious that people would question Alex Ferguson's targets.

The man has forgotten more about football than you could possibly ever know.

DesF wrote: »

Guess we should just close this thread so, pretty much everything we discuss involves fergie in some way, and if his decisions can not be question what is the point.

Also, I would point out the following:

Highly rumored Carlos Quieroz has a very big say in transfer policy.

Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Bosnich, Tiaibi, Prunier, Miller, Cryuff, Forlan, Bellion, Blanc... Fergie isn't perfect in the transfer market.

• Advertisement

Kleberson

He had a great world cup, a bit unfair to use him as an example as it was a shock to a few how poor he was.
    Bosnich

He did a job, kicking was poor but he was a decent keeper

Cryuff

Again what do you want for 1.2m or something along those lines. He was decent in patches...never up to the standard but Fergie spent 7m on him,Ole,VDG,Johnsen and Porbosky who all had a decent spell at OT
    Blanc

How can you question this? We won the league in 2003 and he was fantastic.
    Forlan

Obviously had something in him to go on and be top scorer in Europe and Spain
    Prunier

How much did he cost again?

Trilla wrote: »
    ...a number of valid counter points.

None of them were great signings - whatever the reasons. They all got moved on fairly quickly. I would actually defend Kleberson myself, Fergie seemed to have no faith in him but oh well. My point is that Fergie hasn't been perfect in the transfer market, to imply that he is, is delusional in my opinion. Every manager buys players that don't work out, thats life - it is also why i think it is perfectly reasonable to debate potential signings - if we can't it is going to be a bloody boring summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I love the holier-than-thou attitude you continually lord over the rest of us. We're not worthy.

For what it's worth, Fergie hasn't revealed any targets. Any discussion of potential transfers is mostly in reaction to paper-talk or guess work. And as was pointed out, Fergie has made some questionable purchases in the past. Seeing as we're posting in a Man Utd Transfer Rumours thread on a soccer discussion forum, it's hardly off the wall to discuss Man Utd transfer rumours, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=712271

Despite claiming that the Spanish giants have done nothing wrong, by use of the Madrilenian media they have made it clear that they are willing to break the bank to sign the Portuguese star.

Marca has been the favoured vehicle and once again the persistent paper has added another chapter to a story that will only end when the player himself makes a definite statement.

According to the daily, Madrid's president has told his board that there would be no more movement from the club until Ronaldo had made public his desire.

"Our work is done. Now we depend upon the player," Marca believe he told the board. "The one who now needs to do something publicly is the player."

The fact that Ronaldo has refused to clarify his position and only said that he would make a statement in the next few weeks has allowed the story to continue.

On Monday, Marca said that they believed Manchester United would demand Robinho, Sergio Ramos and Mahamadou Diarrà as well as €50m in exchange for the player in a bid to ward off Madrid.

While that was reported in some English papers as being what Madrid were ready to offer, Marca still took it as a sign that at least United were not saying an outright no to the idea.

Unbelieveable.

Fcuking Marca....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Graham Hunter...............

"Calderon is quoted as saying 'everything is done, everything is complete' for the deal.

By that he means.....

a. Cristiano has a buyout clause of 70m
    b. There is a deal agreed behind club's back, with Ron's agent
    c. Up to player to come out and say that he wants to move to Real"

Hunter is just speculating on what Calderon said, he's not claiming it's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Real Madrid are the dirtiest fc for transfers

the way they do business is a disgrace

Why would Ronaldo go there

yes there his boy hood team but mg Madrid are useless

compared to the top 4 in Premier league

they were easily beaten by Roma in the champions league

its probly all about money :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I wish this Ronaldo to madrid story would ever go away. United have said the lad isn't leaving and Ronaldo himself said he wants to be at OT next year. Surely Fifa need to step in and do something.

If that rumoured deal is in anyway true they should also demand that madrid buy Messi and throw him in for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

chelsea without a manager makes life alot easier for utd to get their targets

so this story about fergie wanting 3 players within 2 weeks could be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,711 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

chelsea without a manager makes life alot easier for utd to get their targets

I don't think a Chelsea manager has bought a player in 2 years if you believe what's coming out of Stamford Bridge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement