Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giles and dunphy criticizing Terry for taking penalty

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

spiderdan wrote: »
    Terry took it for the wrong reasons- He saw the headlines, spotlights, England armband, Chelsea legend forever etc and thought I want some of that let me take the last one!.

Genuinely........do you think all that went through his mind? Ok I'm not a professional footballer, but in a situation like that i would be thinking "good contact, keep the ball on target" & obviously there would be pros and cons of actually missing and what the penalty mean, but you have got to filter that out. .......maybe thats what causes players to miss, think about it too much and forget to concentrate on the essential part..........right im off to write my book on sports psychology.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

You do realise that if terrys penalty had been 1cm to the left it would have went in and everyone would be saying he had nerves or steel and that it was an unbelievable penalty?
    He was a lick of paint from being an all time hero.
    And how can people say he did it for the wrong reasons, for all you know that could
    have been the order of penalty kicks before the match with drogba taking belettis kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

IrishMike wrote: »
    You do realise that if terrys penalty had been 1cm to the left it would have went in and everyone would be saying he had nerves or steel and that it was an unbelievable penalty?
    He was a lick of paint from being an all time hero.
    And how can people say he did it for the wrong reasons, for all you know that could
    have been the order of penalty kicks before the match with drogba taking belettis kick

NO we know for sure he wasn't in the initial five
    Hakem Ten Cats said so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

NO we know for sure he wasn't in the initial five
    Hakem Ten Cats said so

See link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

As a Chelsea fan there was never any doubt in my mind that if we had a penalty to win it, be it 4th or 5th, JT would have taken it. It's not because he's a glorier or an egotist,it's because he's a great captain, has more Chelsea pride in his baby finger than most of the team and he handles pressure very very well normally.

Secondly, it's not as if it was a terrible penalty. Even if you discount the fact that he slipped he sent the keeper the wrong way and hit the post. Had a master of penalties like Totti or Ballack taken a carbon copy of the same one it would just be chalked down as unlucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

terry was trying to be the big 'un the last penalty IMHO and in defence of rte commentators they said you should have your best strikers of the ball take penalties not just you should not have defenders taking penalties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

Sometimes Giles and (pretty much all the time) Dunphy can be such muppets, JT was brave to get up and have the last make or break peno, he slipped, it happens, he must be in hell right now and he doesn't need people making stupid comments about his misfortune, he's doing enough of that in his own head, JT is a legend and I feel tremendous pride for this guy, he is the symbol of my club

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well now its easy to blame someone for choosing players,for missing penalties when they lost,if they win it who would blame Terry?Wouldnt United also wish Ronaldo die if they lost last night,its just not the point who missed or who was shooting,penalties are just lottery

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭4-age

Then hearing Dunphy bash Ronaldo saying he 'bottled it'. Cos his on-target penalty was saved? Petty rants I think.

It would have been a foul penalty if he had of scored it tbh. He stoped dead.

• Advertisement

kerash wrote: »
    Very unfair to critise Terry, any player can miss a pen in those circumstances, its a lottery. It takes some guts for them to step up. Didnt hear them complain that Rooney didn't take one.

Rooney was substituted so couldnt take one.

It is unfair to criticise anyone for missing in a shootout. it happens, its a lottery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Terry was unlucky , hit the post and missed a peno in a major final like a lot of great players before him . The slip was after contact with the ball and in my opinion did not change the direction of the ball.

As for taking the 5th peno . I do not think Drogba senting off affected the shooting order. As i think Belletti was brought on as a reaction to the red card and to take his place in the shootout. I think Terry would always be the first to volunteer to take the pressure kick . The same way I think Roy Keane would volunteer if the situation arose in his playing days . Top class Captains led by example and step up when called upon

Peno's are lottos and horrible way to lose ,

As for Giles and Co at this stage I am more surprised anyone is still listening to them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

4-age wrote: »
    It would have been a foul penalty if he had of scored it tbh. He stoped dead.

Don't talk rubbish - there is no rule against what ronaldo did. People seem to think there is, but there isn't. as long as the Ref doesn't deem it unsporting then it is fine. A feint is considered part of the game and there is no rule against it. Go on, try to find it.... you won't.

Fed up with people giving out about this when their moaning is baseless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Tauren wrote: »
    Don't talk rubbish - there is no rule against what ronaldo did. People seem to think there is, but there isn't. as long as the Ref doesn't deem it unsporting then it is fine. A feint is considered part of the game and there is no rule against it. Go on, try to find it.... you won't.

Fed up with people giving out about this when their moaning is baseless.

When the first player to do it at international level ie PELE , did not FIFA send over a delegation to watch him take a good few peno's and their verdict was that it was ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

As far as I know the first player to do it was our very own John Aldridge, and their was uproar over it and I believe he was stopped doing it from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Procedure
    Feinting to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted as
    part of football. However, if in the opinion of the referee the feinting
    is considered an act of unsporting behaviour, the player shall be
    cautioned.

See law 14 if you are interested.
    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/laws_of_the_game_0708_10565.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Procedure
    Feinting to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted as
    part of football. However, if in the opinion of the referee the feinting
    is considered an act of unsporting behaviour, the player shall be
    cautioned.

See law 14 if you are interested.
    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/laws_of_the_game_0708_10565.pdf

thank you - hopefully people can stop moaning about it now that we have proof. Knew I had seen it but was too busy to root it out again. Cheers.

Maybe we should send it on to Sky Sports and BBC so they can stop going on about it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Rooney was substituted so couldnt take one.

It is unfair to criticise anyone for missing in a shootout. it happens, its a lottery.

Yep, already explained I had a lapse of memory last nite. Didnt and wouldn't criticise anyone for missing. I think the point i was trying and failing to make was that Gilles, Dunphy would be Man U biased and Brady defo wouldn't be a chelsea fan;) I wouldn't pass much remarks on their analysis of the game.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he took it coz he is a glory hunter imho. i do think he ran up all wrong and thats why he slipped. i am sure someone else could have taken one, but i have a feeling he asked to take it, i can imagine the whole england captain thing was in his head too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Call_me_al wrote: »
    he took it coz he is a glory hunter imho. i do think he ran up all wrong and thats why he slipped. i am sure someone else could have taken one, but i have a feeling he asked to take it, i can imagine the whole england captain thing was in his head too.

I think thats a bit unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't see the big deal really... Every player on the pitch (plus the officials) has the ability to score a penalty. It's surely the easiest opportunity one has (indeed, that's the point of it) to score a goal. When it comes to penalty shootouts, it's mainly about who has the mental strength to do what they could do in any other setting or circumstance. And for that reason I would have thought that it would go without saying that the captain would be one of the penalty takers.

I'm sure John Terry is gutted, but he shouldn't (IMO) feel bad about stepping up to take the kick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I am Dunphy and Giles biggest fan but that was complete bull****, especially about JT(:rolleyes:) considering he scored for England from the spot in 2004.

Giles zooming in on the foot was funny stuff.

Ronaldo's penalty was **** though, but hardly bottled it.

Oh and by the way DaveMcG, I've missed every single penalty I ever took. I always try to do the Di Canio but needless to say I'm left with the old egg on my face.

I'm sure you have many talents besides football, esteban ;)

ZidaneTerry.gif

Had to post it cos its too good!

I feel for terry by the way so im not havin a cheap dig......or maybe you'll think I am anyway! So what its funny!

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I'm sure you have many talents besides football, esteban ;)

*Shudders*

You were right Dave, that wink is freaking me out.

;)

Holy crap, I just noticed the sexual connotations in my post! :eek:

*backs out of thread slowly*

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Holy crap, I just noticed the sexual connotations in my post! :eek:

*backs out of thread slowly*

Spare me your UCD 2nd year History mumbo jumbo.

I admit it, I have been stalking every single one of your posts in that thread.

Advertisement