Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who's the best rock/ metal singer?

Options
  • 22-05-2008 3:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

who has the best set of lungs in the business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Depends what your looking for :)

Power metal - Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian) or Kai Hansen (Gammaray)
    Death grunt - Niels from Prostitute Disfigurement
    Great mix - Pasi Koskinen (Was in Amorphis), or Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquility, and the origional Hammerfall lineup)

There are so many amazing singers about in metal it would be impossible to get a complete list to under 20 names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

All down to the style of the music as Pugsley said but my personal favourite is Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, He has such a great balance of clean vocals and death grunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

Mike Patton anyone? Corey Taylor has a great quality to his voice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Ian Gillan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Bruce Dickinson without a doubt best Metal singer. So good it is almost impossible to find a good cover band for the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Chris Cornell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Mike Patton anyone? Corey Taylor has a great quality to his voice too.

+1 for Mike. Had/has a great range and have you listened to Mr Bungle? What the unholy mothercopulator is going on there!? He did the sound effects for the "creature" in that xbox game The Darkness.

A few more would be Phil Anselmo. His voice is gravelly-silk (yeah, that doesn't really make sense, but really it does............no, it does!).

Maynard from Tool
    John Gallagher from Dying Fetus for guttural tones.
    Bruce Dickinson without a doubt. So good it is almost impossible to find a good cover band for the group.

Check out an irish band called Celtic Legacy, their new singer used to be in a Maiden cover band. His voice is EXACTLY like Dickinsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Bruce Dickinson without a doubt. So good it is almost impossible to find a good cover band for the group.

What is it about his voice thats so good? I'm asking a genuine question here because I honestly don't get the appeal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hansi kursch pwnz all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

(Alive) Steve Tyler
    (Dead) Bon Scott

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Rock: Freddie Mercury
    Metal: Eric Adams (and Ian Gillian maybe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Metal: Eric Adams (and Ian Gillian maybe)

I remember mates of mine were at a manowar concert and your man Eric Adams screamed for what they said was an eternity, although it was probably just a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

+1 each to Freddie Mercury, Mikael Akerfeldt and Mike Patton. I'll add

Rock: Eddie Vedder
    Metal: Matt Barlow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Metal: Matt Barlow
    Why oh why did he leave Iced Earth? :( Good addition.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pugsley wrote: »
    Why oh why did he leave Iced Earth? :( Good addition.
    He's back though :)

Hansi Kursch, Tobias Sammet, Kai Hanson and Freddy Mercury are all favourites of mine

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Singers:
    Freddy Mercury (Queen)
    John Fogerty (CCR)
    Ronnie James Dio (Dio, Black Sabbath, Rainbow and more)
    Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
    Paul Stanley (KISS)
    Bruce Dickenson (Iron Maiden)

Screamers:
    Alain Duplantier (Gojira)
    Dave Vincent (Morbid Angel)
    Glen Benton (Deicide, Vital Remains)
    Jens Kidman (Meshuggah)
    Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy)

In between:
    Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
    Chuck Billy (Testament)
    Phil Anselmo (Pantera)
    Tim Aymar (Control Denied)
    Bobby Ellsworth (Overkill)
    Dave Mustaine (nah, just messin')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

damonjewel wrote: »
    I remember mates of mine were at a manowar concert and your man Eric Adams screamed for what they said was an eternity, although it was probably just a minute

eeeeeeeeaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaAaAaAaAaAaAaAaAaAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaAAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!"

Nothing quite like it! 200 internets to your mates for going to see them live. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

axl rose:cool:

another mike patton fan here too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hey the dogs in the street know Geddy Lee is teh win!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

As others have said that's a hugely open question which is shown by the variety of responses. Three of my favourites are Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy, Burton C. Bell from Fear Factory and Anders Fridén from In Flames. Angela can deliver a demonic scream that sends shivers down my spine and Burton and Anders are excellent examples of singers that have superb delivery whether singing clean or screaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roger Daltry power and passion plus the ability to imbue emotional depth into Petes lyrics (whihc can be obtuse at times).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

What is it about his voice thats so good? I'm asking a genuine question here because I honestly don't get the appeal.

==>Maiden's first singer, Paul D'Annio, had a completely different voice- it was raspy and more punk-like; I think his voice suited their music at the time, and he's a better metal singer.
    I think because their music is very epic and majestic Dickinson's voice is seen to complement the music- I have to say that I'm a big maiden fan but one of the reason's I prefer early maiden is the singing. Sometimes Dickinson's singing is a bit over the top. But he is, technically, a very good singer.
    Listen to their 1st two albums ('Iron Maiden' and 'Killers') if you don't like Dickinson's voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Sometimes a singer mightn't be great but his voice suits the music. Ozzy in Black Sabbath for instance. Ian Curtis of Joy division and Henry Rollins in Black Flag and solo career.

All singers who weren't technically brilliant, but whose voice suited the music perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

I'm glad Roger Daltrey was mentioned for rock.

I'd also throw in David Byron (Uriah Heep), and for metal, Geoff Tate from Queensryche.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    AMikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, He has such a great balance of clean vocals and death grunts.

+1 He's savage!!

Chino from Deftones has another great all rounder of a voice too.

James Hetfield, he has / had a great all rounder too and you'd spot his voice anywhere.

Good Screamer / Shouter - J R Hayes (Pig Destroyer)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Great shout whoever said John Fogerty.
    Going to see his gig in Manchester in June.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Klaus Meine (Scorpions), even if he does pronounce some words funny ("there's no one like jew")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 JohnnyFilters

Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, Axl Rose, Kurt Cobain, Serj Tankian, Corey Taylor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rustar wrote: »
    Geoff Tate from Queensryche.

Oh yes!

Roanmore wrote: »
    Klaus Meine (Scorpions), even if he does pronounce some words funny ("there's no one like jew")

Oh yes again. Two fantastic voices.

Advertisement