Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who's the best rock/ metal singer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Carl Albert is criminally overlooked.

So too is John Arch.

And James Rivera

I've only discovered him recently in Riot, Tony Moore

Plenty of others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

My favourites are:

1. Phil Anselmo (Pantera/ Down)
    2. Zack de la Rocha (RATM)
    3. Jonathon Davis (KoRn)
    4. James Hetfield (Metallica)
    5. Ozzy Osbourne
    6. Axl Rose (G n R)
    7. John Frusciante
    8. Maynard James Keenan (Tool/ APC)
    9. Brandon Boyd (Incubus)
    10. Aimee Echo (Human Waste project)

A nice mixture of sounds and styles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GrewSome

well i suppose since i started this thread i may as well add my twopence worth.
    my top 5
    5. Robert Plant
    4. Ian Curtis ( very deep and gravelly, suits the music)
    3. Jello Biafra (of Dead Kennedy's, very distinctive voice and goes well with what he's trying to achieve)
    2. James Hetfield
    1. the and only one Mr. Keenan- can that man sing or what!!!!

oh forgot to add
    robert plant (led zep)
    Ian curtis (joy division)
    jello biafra (dead kennedys)
    james hetfield (metallica)
    james maynard keenan (tool/ a perfect circle)

BTW cant stand axl rose and his ayee yaiyai yaiyai type of singin, sounds like he's chawin on a paticularly rubbery bit of beef!
    oh and i got MJK's name backwards - sorry, bit pissed, sat nite u no!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Phil Anselmo without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

+1 to Hansi Kursch, Eric Adams, Kai Hansen, Mikael Akerfeldt, Matt Barlow, Geoff Tate (gonna see him live 4 weeks from tonight - woohoo)!

, Daniel Gildenlow - Pain of Salvation, Kjetil Nordhus - Green Carnation, Michael Kiske / Andi Deris - Helloween, Russell Allen - Symphony X

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I'm pretty surprised he hasn't been mentioned, but Chuck Billy of Testament anyone? Has to be one of the best without a doubt. What a voice.

After that i'd say Russ Anderson of Forbidden

Joey Belladona of Anthrax

David White/Godfrey of Heathen

As much as i love Mike Patton as a vocalist i wouldn't throw him in as best rock/metal singer, there's a bit more to him then just that.

Think someone might have mentioned Chuck Billy, but I forgot to mention him.. Definitely up with the best..
    Oh & I hate Bruce Dickinsons vocals. Like Maiden, but can't abide Bruce. Was delighted when he left & gutted when he came back!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I remember buying Iron Maiden when it came out and thought it was brilliant and to this day it is still one of the best debut albums. Paul Dianno was more of a punk singer but fitted well on the first album.
    Nobody has mentioned the great poser that is David Coverdale,the man has a great voice and when Whitesnake were at their best he was a great leader.
    Ronnie James Dio is another,he has had a great career and has made some great albums with Rainbow,Dio and Black Sabbath.
    David Lee Roth is another great showman with a great voice. I bought their debut album ( Van Halen that is ) and is another I would rate as a great album.
    John Wetton of Asia and King Crimson another great voice.

• Advertisement

Léan wrote: »
    After that i'd say Russ Anderson of Forbidden

Awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Paul Stanley and Chris Cornell for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Maynard James Keenan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

James Hetfield
    Robert Plant
    Freddie Mercury
    Mike Patton

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy.
    Great all round frontman, Musician, Songwriter and Poet..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 clingfilm77

Whitfield Crane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Before I continue I would like to say how its a bit unfair no female vocalists have been mentioned, so heres a few good ones: Delores O’Riordan (The Cranberries), Tori Amos and Bjork. All great singers who deserve a mention. I know he’s not a rock singer, but didn’t Louis Armstrong have the coolest voice ever?

I’ve given you my favourites, heres my list of shame-

No. 1: Sebastian Bach (Skid mark, I mean, Skid row): I wasn’t fully aware of his complete lack of talent until I saw that stupid ‘supergroup’ programme. A bad opera singer is the best way to describe him.

No. 2: The Bloke out of ‘yes’: Not necessarily a bad singer- but because he pronounced his lyrics clearly you could hear him describe metaphorical journey’s up the side of mountains and all sorts of stupid crap. After a while you just wanted him to shut up.

No. 3: Liam Gallagher (Oasis): Dear god, at what point did nasal singing become popular- although who would sound good with oasis backing them?

No. 4: Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth): In the beginning she would just shout weird slogans and do weird talking routines (she must have known she couldn’t sing). But then she started singing and she is terrible at it- maybe I’m being unfair because she’s not the main vocalist, but still.

No. 5: Cliff Richard : Now I know its easy to take a pop at sir D1ck but he has an utterly lifeless and uninspiring voice. His song ‘Devil Woman’ is damn cool, but it could have been so much better with a good singer on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Before I continue I would like to say how its a bit unfair no female vocalists have been mentioned
    :confused: I mentioned Angela Gossow. Does she not count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

malice_ wrote: »
    :confused: I mentioned Angela Gossow. Does she not count?

Sorry- must have missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

James Hetfield
    Robert Plant
    Freddie Mercury
    Mike Patton

+1

• Advertisement

Rustar wrote: »
    and for metal, Geoff Tate from Queensryche.

Have a look at this link - some great new acoustic stuff here! So excited here now, waiting on the gig in June...

http://www.mp3.com/features/stories/10972.html

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Layne Stayley anyone?

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Have a look at this link - some great new acoustic stuff here! So excited here now, waiting on the gig in June...

http://www.mp3.com/features/stories/10972.html

Where's the gig?

Wow, acoustic version of eyes of a stranger is class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Xyo wrote: »
    Layne Stayley anyone?

+1 Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Bon Scott- top top top top frontman
    Franky Miller- franky is just brill
    David Coverdale- BURN with Deep Purple, need I say more???? NO......
    Ronnie James Dio- love his stuff with Rainbow.
    Eddie Vedder- cool voice.
    Rod Stewert. K stop laughing, his vocals on Jeff Becks "Truth" album are outstanding.

Where's the gig?

Indigo2 in London - Operation Mindcrime I & II performed in their entirety. 3 hours show with full american production! Can't friggin wait!
    http://www.queensryche.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Freddie Mercury undoubtedly had one of the best voices in general, even outside of rock. Focusing on rock and metal though I think Serj Tankian, Marco Hietala and Osten Bergoy to have the best male voices. Obviously I loved Tarja Turunen's voice but she's no longer in rock and neither is the amazing Vibeke Stene, who was another favourite. Floor Jansen and Sharon den Adel do deserve a mention, with the former having a voice so powerful, it'd knock you sideways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Angela Gossow
    The lad or lads from Anaal Nathrakh
    The current lad from Dillinger Escape Plan
    James Hetfield
    Jarboe
    The current fella in Exodus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Bowie

• Advertisement

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Indigo2 in London - Operation Mindcrime I & II performed in their entirety. 3 hours show with full american production! Can't friggin wait!
    http://www.queensryche.com/

Christ that would be unreal, that's the first I've heard of that.

I'm actually contemplating going to one of those uk shows now. Tickets are still available and ryanair flights ~€30-40. :D:D:D

Advertisement