Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who's the best rock/ metal singer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'm actually contemplating going to one of those uk shows now. Tickets are still available and ryanair flights ~€30-40. :D:D:D

Done! I'm going too :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cory and maynard.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Best female singer Floor Jansen, hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Done! I'm going too :D

good on ya.. It'll be amazing. I've seen Queensryche a good few times now & they never disappoint.. Saw them at Graspop a few years ago playing pretty much all of Operation Mindcrime & it was amazing, so should be even better.
    I got my flights for €17 and my brothers floor has my name on it, so really cheap for a great trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Oral Slang wrote: »
    good on ya.. It'll be amazing. I've seen Queensryche a good few times now & they never disappoint.. Saw them at Graspop a few years ago playing pretty much all of Operation Mindcrime & it was amazing, so should be even better.
    I got my flights for €17 and my brothers floor has my name on it, so really cheap for a great trip!

Excellent. I seriously can't wait now lol.

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen them live before but have always wanted to.

All sorted except for accommodation (wink, wink) :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Before I continue I would like to say how its a bit unfair no female vocalists have been mentioned,

Aimee Echo is a girl. I like Amy Lee, Dolores o Riordan and Courtney Love too come to think of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

For death growls has to be either Glen Benton(Deicide/Vital Remains) or Chris Barnes(Cannibal Corpse/6 feet Under)

For lesser death growls either Max Cavelara or Mark Hunter (Chimaira)

For easy listening probably Layne Staley or Shannon Hoon.

IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

I'd say the best contemporary voice is Cedric Bixler-Zavala - great front man too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Seeing that Vocal Ability doesn't count for much in this thread, I like
    Damo Suzuki

• Registered Users Posts: 34 EgoApocalypse

Maynard james keenan

Dax Riggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

All sorted except for accommodation (wink, wink) :p

Haha, I can just imagine my brother & his girlfriends faces if I turned up to their one bed attic flat (bathroom is in their bedroom) with a random stranger in toe to sleep on the floor in their sitting room. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Best female? Janis Joplin by a mile. Although most of her music was blues/soul based, she had a pure rock voice. A real force of nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭brown-dog

I would agree with Janis for best female voice ....I love James Hetfields Voice and also Joe Elliott from Def Leppard ( earlier voice )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

damonjewel wrote: »
    Seeing that Vocal Ability doesn't count for much in this thread, I like
    Damo Suzuki

I didn't want to say anything about some of the "vocalists" mentioned in this thread and their distinct lack of vocal ability, but now that you've mentioned it.....:p

people just seem to be adding in singers from their favourite bands, no matter how bad their voice may actually be......but that's normal I guess...

would have to add the following myself, only going to list people I've seen live, as I think that's the only real way to measure a singer :-

Rock
    Steve Lee (Gotthard)
    Arnel Pineda (Journey)
    David Coverdale (Whitesnake, though it's starting to fade a little bit now)
    Jeff Scott Soto (JSS, Journey, Talisman, Soul Sircus etc)
    Danny Vaughn (Tyketto)

Metal
    Dio (outstanding, and has kept his voice in such good shape)
    John Bush (Anthrax - very underrated I thought)

Death/Black/Thrash
    Frank (Suffocation)
    John Tardy (Obituary)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DeanML

Phil Anselemo by far,all his vocals are amazing

even when he was ****ed at the end of the down gig he still managed whole lotta love:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

What about that guy from Shinedown?

This is their version of Simple Man. Does the original justice and more.

I would also say Bruce Dickinson, Freddy Mercury, Corey Taylor, Phil Anselmo for the epic Cemetery Gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

John Tardy - Obituary
    Chuck Shuldiner - Death
    Karl Willets - Bolt Thrower
    Dave Vincent - Morbid Angel
    Paul Masvidal - Cynic

Thats all I can think of now

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

I always fight with my friends over this Phil Anselmo Greatest metal singer of all time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Did I miss it or did no one say the magnificent James La Brie?

Also, Tobias Sammet, Bruce Dickinson, Paul Stanley, Ronnie James Dio and Rob Halford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder (Hunger Strike ..great song, two singing together!) Maynard James Keenan, Layne Stayley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Absolutely has to be Jonathan Davis of KoRn - nice guy, great showman and an incredibly versatile singer. I love his death growl, his emotional clean singing but especially his patented Jon-scat (a la Twist or FOAL)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Axl Rose & Jim Morrison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

Maynard...great voice,front man(even if he stands at the back) and great lyricist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DaleZA

Layne Staley from Alice in Chains

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Right now I would have to say that my two favorite male singers are Joachim Cans (Hammerfall) and David Draiman (Disturbed). Female vocalists have to be Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation) and Tarja Turunen (formerly of Nightwish, for the power and presence of her voice) Freddie Mercury without a doubt from the past, the man's voice is legendary and even to this day is unique and really can't be compared to anyone else's. Also Marco Hietala from Nightwish has a very authoritative and distinctive voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭psilocybe

John Garcia

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Bruce Dickinson...amazing live voice.

David Coverdale- Love the kinda raspy sound for the Whitensnake songs especially for Still of the Night and the complete switch then to Looking for Love--one of the most underrated Guitar solos, by John Sykes

Ronnie James Dio- Stargazer, Caught in the Middle--couldn't imagine another singer doing it.

Meatloaf's another one..for Crying out loud , Paradise by the dashboard light and Bat out of hell...

All 4 are fantastic performers live not like half the ****e today with synths etc.
    christ even I'd sound good with the technology today.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Cant remember where I saw but I remember seeing a poll of rock musicians voting Chris Cornell singing Say Hello to Heaven with Temple of the Dog as greatest vocal performance of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Never thought about female vocalists as I generally dislike the majority of bands with frontwomen, but completely forgot about Grace Slick. She is amazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Drummo

It's got to be Glen Danzig for me!

I'm surprised he hasn't got a mention already (though I could be wrong!)

Advertisement